• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Vipu

Banned
I use pilot sentry for bounty hunt (set it up for the infantry AI rounds, you get a ton of cash- on some maps a single well placed pilot turret can kill every enemy in a wave.

For everything else (and even some bounty hunt games) I use amped weapons. With amped weapons, devotion can one-clip a Titan if you keep hitting it's weak spot, even using normal anti-titan weapons, it makes Titans die so faster.

Dont forget to add a-wall to that.

Also there is better titankiller weapon(non anti-titan weapon) than Devotion but its not so well known so I guess im not spoiling it here.
Its weird but monster at killing titans!

Dont forget to add a-wall to that.

Also there is better titankiller weapon(non anti-titan weapon) than Devotion but its not so well known so I guess im not spoiling it here.
Its weird but monster at killing titans!

My guess is L-Star or Softball?

This hilarious moment secured us a come-from-behind nail-biter.

Check out the scores and the clock as we unload on this guy. I was like 'huuuurrrrryyyyy up, you stupid bubble' and I'm sure they were all 'stay up stay up stay up stay up' lol

Have to say after picking this up last night, I totally forgot how much of an adrenaline rush TF2 is!
Just been on MP so far which is greatly improved from the beta(which I enjoyed), gonna touch campaign once I get my Pro this weekend.

Angel City so far is my favourite map with my least favourite being the map with dessert holograms or whatever, way too small with a bunch of Titans wreaking havoc on pilots.

But yeah this game is putting BF1 on the backburner for now.

There are a ton of useful guns out there and I guess I would recommend the R201 to start out with. The CAR is also a great choice. Break your habit of ADSing every time you shoot, that would be my biggest piece of advice.

Anything that is somewhat close can be killed faster without ADS especially with the sub-machine guns but the assault weapons as well.

All of the kits have their uses, I think grapple is a good way to start until you get the hang of the movement because it helps you get higher up quickly. Ultimately though Phase Shift is probably the best as it is an "Oh Shit" button and can help you get out of a lot of bad situations. Cloak and Stim are useful as well. The others take some practice or a particular play style to be effective (I use Holo Pilot all the time and love it though).

For boosts (again there are many that are good) Amped Weapons is a great place to start. You should win every 1v1 firefight with it on and you can do immense damage to Titans with your Titan weapon with it up. Battery Backup is also a big one. Pilot sentry is currently way overpowered and a great way to get free kills as well.

Thanks a lot for this KodaRuss!
The ADS tip in particular is great because I'm so conditioned to using it.

I'm enjoying the CAR to start with. I have seen a lot of advanced players using some sort of auto rifle that increases it's rate of fire as you shoot more, interested in knowing what gun that is and how far to unlock it lol.

Using Tone and Ion to start with, enjoying Tone quite a bit.
I see people really dislike him (her?) but he doesn't feel OP, but that's prolly cause I'm only a novice at this stage.

Great new OT.

Quick vent, does anyone on xbox use any Titan other than Tone or Legion? Played maybe 20 games today and 80% of the titans I come up against are one or the other, even on my team.

They have their strengths and purposes but jesus mix it up a bit.

I rotate through the titans pretty regularly depending on the map.or my mood, and they're all great to use.

/vent

I mainly use Ion, loads of people on PS4 use Ion too. It seems Ion, Legion and Tone are the most popular (mostly Tone though). Ronin and Scorch are cool Titan's but they're close quarters only, it's a niche that isn't suited to all situations, same goes for Northstar, but with long range.

Menitta

I guess I'll give amped weapons another try.

I suddenly have a lot more free time on my hands so I'll be experimenting a lot. Also, gravity star boosting is a thing?

Nop, not DMR not gonna give more "tips"!

Cold War? That thing deals 7200 DPS to titans when crit and amped. But it's pretty hard to hit crits with that thing right?

Highest DPS to Titans in each class according to the sheet:

Rifles: Hemlok at 2712.5
SMG: R97 at 2970 (!)
LMG: Devotion at 2700
Sniper: DMR at 2030
Shotgun: Mastiff at 1040 (lol and it is almost impossible because all 8 horizontal spread pellets must crit)
Grenadier: if count direct impact only then it is SMR at 4000, if counts splash too which I don't know if it works on Titans then it is Cold War at 7200.

Vipu

Banned
Cold War? That thing deals 7200 DPS to titans when crit and amped. But it's pretty hard to hit crits with that thing right?

Highest DPS to Titans in each class according to the sheet:

Rifles: Hemlok at 2712.5
SMG: R97 at 2970 (!)
LMG: Devotion at 2700
Sniper: DMR at 2030
Shotgun: Mastiff at 1040 (lol and it is almost impossible because all 8 horizontal spread pellets must crit)
Grenadier: if count direct impact only then it is SMR at 4000, if counts splash too which I don't know if it works on Titans then it is Cold War at 7200.

I was just gonna count those numbers myself too that is it really the best and those numbers seem to show it too.
Now just think what gun is easiest to hit that crit spot fastest etc, so not grenadier weapons.

Okay then, its the R97, its rate of fire is so fast so you just have to aim that crit spot a bit and you do tons of dmg, hide and reload do it again.
I guess this is why its so good.

I have had not much time to play this week so I have not tried it myself yet in LTS.
But I saw it in stream and it melted titans.

Close range for sure but Devotion for long range I guess is much better.

Ishmae1

Ok this is becoming a bit overblown. Tone isn't a magical Titan that all of a sudden can destroy all other Titans at the same time. And there's no way all of you are unstoppable pro Tone players, i see shitty tone players all the time.

Overblown a bit? Sure.

Thanks for assuming that I'm that good with Tone though. I'm not, nor did I ever say I was. I'm an average player. I do however get more pilot and titan kills easier with Tone any other titan, simply because the kit and weapon is universally good on any map at any range, and the titan is easier to play (3 stars? no.) than both of the default titans a new player has access to at L1. IMO, of course. I'm not speaking for anyone else here.

To me, Tone is the equivalent to the weapons you loathe so much (i.e. Devotion, Hemlock) but for titan combat. It's simply easy to play, with no complicated combinations to figure out, just shoot until lock, fire missile salvo, repeat. In trouble? Backdash and wall. Highly repetitive yes, but highly effective, and can play "loose" and still come out on top. None of the other titans have that luxury to the degree that Tone does in that regard.

I'd say that good players of the other titans (map and team comes into play here though in a big way) can take Tone apart sure, but it requires a lot more focus and use of the entire kit on another titan than the Tone player has to put in with theirs to be effective.

If I had to really drill down, I'd say:
  • The wall too easily shuts down every other titan's kit but Ronin and his arc wave. I'm assuming Northstar's pierce kit goes through it, but that requires you to sacrifice some other decent options for it, where again, Tone sacrifices nothing to shut down 90% of all the other kits and some core abilities (like Scorch).
  • The lock should be 5 hits, not 3, especially if they keep sonar as a free lock.
  • I'd also like to know just how many locks are on me as an opposing player, so I have enough information to make an informed choice on when I should think about incoming missiles. Having to count in the heat of battle just makes me do more work that a modern high-tech thing like a Titan should be doing for me. Even in the fiction that they exist in the first place.
That's at least the things I'd consider, but of course, I trust Respawn to look at the data and figure out what's best here.

My preference is Scorch hands-down, but he requires specific maps to be really useful.

Tone's wall is honestly just boring to fight against.

Especially as a Pilot.

This. It just slows the game (or at least, that particular engagement) to a halt. You basically just wait, or run and hide, and re-engage.

It's the 'Armor Lock' of TitanFall.

There are a few changes they could make. Let EMP grenades take the shield down immediately? None of Tone's shots that pass through the shield contribute to or receive lock-on (you could bullshit some lore reason about 'interference' pretty easily)? Or, if everything else fails, you could jack up the recharge rate of the shield like 5x so that you have to be more selective about when you use it.

I don't think it's OP necessarily, but it does hurt the entertainment value of Titan engagements IMO.

dankir

This. It just slows the game (or at least, that particular engagement) to a halt. You basically just wait, or run and hide, and re-engage.

It's the 'Armor Lock' of TitanFall.

There are a few changes they could make. Let EMP grenades take the shield down immediately? None of Tone's shots that pass through the shield contribute to or receive lock-on (you could bullshit some lore reason about 'interference' pretty easily)? Or, if everything else fails, you could jack up the recharge rate of the shield like 5x so that you have to be more selective about when you use it.

I don't think it's OP necessarily, but it does hurt the entertainment value of Titan engagements IMO.

Tone should have gun shield like Legion. I swear Scorch 1 on 1 gets destroyed by Tone. I try to avoid the situations because I'm running Nuclear Scorch, but with the reload times, the canister reload,etc. = I get owned.

Vipu

Banned
Tone should have gun shield like Legion. I swear Scorch 1 on 1 gets destroyed by Tone. I try to avoid the situations because I'm running Nuclear Scorch, but with the reload times, the canister reload,etc. = I get owned.

Makes it much easier if you dont use that nuclear.

Izuna

Banned
Makes it much easier if you dont use that nuclear.

Yeah, Scorch needs Turbo Engine.

--

K, I have enough time to study and do something else.

Guys, I also want to make a Northstar Montage! Same deal, just post here or PM. You can get clips from any mode.

I'll try to upload the Bounty Hunt Montage tonight if my Internet connection lets me, otherwise I'll do it after my exam tmr

--

Guys, I also want to make a Northstar Montage! Same deal, just post here or PM. You can get clips from any mode.

I'll try to upload the Bounty Hunt Montage tonight if my Internet connection lets me, otherwise I'll do it after my exam tmr

Other than this extremely boring goose I got nothing.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Digmouse/video/23281802

SwolBro

Banned
If I had to really drill down, I'd say:
  • The wall too easily shuts down every other titan's kit but Ronin and his arc wave. I'm assuming Northstar's pierce kit goes through it, but that requires you to sacrifice some other decent options for it, where again, Tone sacrifices nothing to shut down 90% of all the other kits and some core abilities (like Scorch).
  • The lock should be 5 hits, not 3, especially if they keep sonar as a free lock.
  • I'd also like to know just how many locks are on me as an opposing player, so I have enough information to make an informed choice on when I should think about incoming missiles. Having to count in the heat of battle just makes me do more work that a modern high-tech thing like a Titan should be doing for me. Even in the fiction that they exist in the first place.
It's all about the sonar pulse lock. it shouldn't do that. i'm not sure why they insist on it doing that. i wish Respawn would explain their reasoning behind it.

deoee

--

Northstar montage... I guess I'll let Shadowplay run the next games ;D

Izuna

Banned
Seriously, Tone's issue is how annoying she is to fight. Being the most balanced/powerful Titan with all the answers isn't the main issue. She's boring to fight. Very, very boring. So much that FrothyOmen himself has a "How to Defeat Tone" video where has to resort to gimmicks and spend half of it explaining what doesn't work against her Particle Wall.

I had this vibe since I saw the original trailer:

Legion - Chaingun
nope

Ronin - Shotty (lol)
nope

Northstar - Plasma Cannon (?)
nope

Ion - Repeater
nope

Scorch - Grenade Launcher
nah

Tone - 40mm
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
fDUxuTX.jpg

Not happy that my girl Tone needs to acquire lock-ons and has a lame particle wall, but w/e
For real, I wish Tone has something other than a Particle [Wall]. TBF we will all have Electric smoke so that's fine but... I would have liked something like Tether Trap instead.

Northstar and Tone should swap. Particle Wall makes more sense with a Plasma [Railgun].
I need to proof all my comments.

This is before ever playing with her. She has the most fun Primary to use, which is also the easiest, as well as having the one defensive ability that takes a genius to come up with reliable counters (read: they're not) as well as having the only support abilities for ALL the Titans (Sonar specifically).

I feel like she was created based on what was supposedly the overall best and most competitive 40mm Atlas build that people were running, and Respawn basically gave her so much love by doing so.

Even in the tests, Frothy knew she would be the best. Hell, we all knew it from the trailer. How Respawn thought that people would pick the other Titans over her was a mistake. Ronin, who I would have assumed to become the second most popular, is one of the hardest Titans to do well with.

Sadly, nerfing her damage is a mistake I could see Respawn doing. Giving Northstar a tool against her gives everyone who complains about her a real answer, enough to hopefully force the community to mix it up.

Other than this extremely boring goose I got nothing.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Digmouse/video/23281802

I want this one to be longer than the BH one, and besides, I probably don't expect to work on it until next week. :)

I'd have the BH one out today if my internet wasn't butt, though. Regardless, keep 'em coming!

deoee

Seriously, Tone's issue is how annoying she is to fight. Being the most balanced/powerful Titan with all the answers isn't the main issue. She's boring to fight. Very, very boring. So much that FrothyOmen himself has a "How to Defeat Tone" video where has to resort to gimmicks and spend half of it explaining what doesn't work against her Particle Wall.

I had this vibe since I saw the original trailer:

I need to proof all my comments.

This is before ever playing with her. She has the most fun Primary to use, which is also the easiest, as well as having the one defensive ability that takes a genius to come up with reliable counters (read: they're not) as well as having the only support abilities for ALL the Titans (Sonar specifically).

I feel like she was created based on what was supposedly the overall best and most competitive 40mm Atlas build that people were running, and Respawn basically gave her so much love by doing so.

Even in the tests, Frothy knew she would be the best. Hell, we all knew it from the trailer. How Respawn thought that people would pick the other Titans over her was a mistake. Ronin, who I would have assumed to become the second most popular, is one of the hardest Titans to do well with.

Sadly, nerfing her damage is a mistake I could see Respawn doing. Giving Northstar a tool against her gives everyone who complains about her a real answer, enough to hopefully force the community to mix it up.

I want this one to be longer than the BH one, and besides, I probably don't expect to work on it until next week. :)

I'd have the BH one out today if my internet wasn't butt, though. Regardless, keep 'em coming!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226499322&postcount=19800

._.

When I use to see Swolbro complain about camping I would think "It sucks but that's how console players are going to play". Most are probably never going to change their control scheme and improve their mobility. So they'll resort to the tried and true tactics from previous FPS games they've played like COD.

Now that I've gotten better at slide hopping and maintaining my momentum with constant wall running I think I might be joining that bandwagon. It's fun to zip through the map more quickly than I use to. But now it seems I'm just making myself a more available target for all the guys hanging out on the rooftops.

In the end I'm still a average to below average player. And all these 8-14 games(in PvP) makes me jump back to using A Wall and Sonar and play it more slow and methodical instead of Stim and trying to fly around from building to building. It's not my favorite way to play but I'd like to break even or end games plus sometimes.

KodaRuss

Happens to me all the time with Northstar... Who were you using?

Yep Northstar. She doesnt really have something that can finish someone and I dont know how many times I brought a Titan to doomed they eject and I just get an assist. I saved one video where one of my teammates was passed dead at the end of a round and I put the last blow on the Titan they ejected and the dude that was dead got the kill. (Only explanation there could have been a firestar but I didnt see one.

SwolBro

Banned
When I use to see Swolbro complain about camping I would think "It sucks but that's how console players are going to play". Most are probably never going to change their control scheme and improve their mobility. So they'll resort to the tried and true tactics from previous FPS games they've played like COD.

Now that I've gotten better at slide hopping and maintaining my momentum with constant wall running I think I might be joining that bandwagon. It's fun to zip through the map more quickly than I use to. But now it seems I'm just making myself a more available target for all the guys hanging out on the rooftops.

In the end I'm still a average to below average player. And all these 8-14 games(in PvP) makes me jump back to using A Wall and Sonar and play it more slow and methodical instead of Stim and trying to fly around from building to building. It's not my favorite way to play but I'd like to break even or end games plus sometimes.
being mobile and mastering the movement will still make you better than 99% of the population. In pvp use mobility to flank or to get yourself to that camp spot faster than your opponent.

I should have made a clip (just now realizing I can increase my "record that" dvr clip by a few min lol) of me getting to a spot before the other team got out of their spawn, triggering amped weapon, and proceed to mow them all down continuously as they becam spawn camped. I went on a 30 kill spree in under a min to end the match. It was ridiculous.

Just lost a game though by 2 points because the other team placed a turret on a choke point in crash site. None of my teammates shot it, the turret sat there for the entire last min of the game picking people off to end the round. The turret in pvp is the new map hack.

I'm going to assume everyone at Respawn is on vacation. Only reason they haven't quickly server side hot fixed this yet

deoee

Somehow the flow of the game has changed since the double xp weekend.

It's not as fun as it used to be and I feel like I play like shit most of the time...

E92 M3

Still complaints over Tone lol? She is so easy to kill. Some people just refuse to try new tactics. A tone has never dominated me. No Titan has.

Do you want a montage of some of Northstar's eject messages?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmg7gkEHqWAuqtBVt0EQWBnIL9DIdgNYY

I'm not playing TF2 right now, but I'll probably keep compiling these once I get back into it.

Somehow the flow of the game has changed since the double xp weekend.

It's not as fun as it used to be and I feel like I play like shit most of the time...

It's probably more players (including casual) unlocking the later weapons so there's a wider variety of encounters during the match.

I've noticed an increase in people using Devotion, for example. Which means there's more people hanging back and ramping that gun up instead of diving in to the front-line fight.

deoee

It's probably more players (including casual) unlocking the later weapons so there's a wider variety of encounters during the match.

I've noticed an increase in people using Devotion, for example. Which means there's more people hanging back and ramping that gun up instead of diving in to the front-line fight.

Yeah maybe I need to find a new weapon fitting me...

Keep on smiling
kMysV7F.png

Izuna

Banned
Man, I've missed how fun it was to do light video editing. Haven't really dabbled since SF4 days.

He has Tone at Gen 20+, he cant be trusted....

Jesus, really? R2 has been like, the only game I've played since it came out and I only have Legion and Tone at G5 haha.

KodaRuss

Man, I've missed how fun it was to do light video editing. Haven't really dabbled since SF4 days.

Jesus, really? R2 has been like, the only game I've played since it came out and I only have Legion and Tone at G5 haha.

I got Tone at Gen 10 for the Black Camo and Pinup Nose Art and then switched to Ronin, he is at Gen 6. I am mixing in a little Northstar here and there right now, mostly because I like pain and anguish.

I seemed to gain a lot of levels in LTS, I feel like it is faster to level up a Titan that way but I could be wrong on that.

Izuna

Banned
I got Tone at Gen 10 for the Black Camo and Pinup Nose Art and then switched to Ronin, he is at Gen 6. I am mixing in a little Northstar here and there right now, mostly because I like pain and anguish.

I seemed to gain a lot of levels in LTS, I feel like it is faster to level up a Titan that way but I could be wrong on that.

I have chosen Northstar the most, but the stats won't prove it haha. The stats show uptime etc. Sadly, I tend to kamikaze Northstar as a strat and use her primarily to shut down enemy banks, so she doesn't have much up time at all.

I really want her in bright pink.

E92 M3

What titan do you mainly use again?

And fucking hemlok man.... Jesus Fuck.

He has Tone at Gen 20+, he cant be trusted....

I've been Ronin for quite a bit now, and yes I have Tone at Gen 23 (no LTS). I never hid the fact that I liked her. It still stands that I've never met someone that was capable of dominating me though. Ronin is my favorite now.

I cannot imagine playing without using Ronin.

I've been Gen 10 for about 3 weeks now. Not kidding when I talk about how much I love Titanfall 2 ;)

KodaRuss

I have chosen Northstar the most, but the stats won't prove it haha. The stats show uptime etc. Sadly, I tend to kamikaze Northstar as a strat and use her primarily to shut down enemy banks, so she doesn't have much up time at all.

I really want her in bright pink.

I bought that camo pack and all the camos look kinda crappy on her. She needs a solid color. I am using the pink on Ronin right now.

Yeah, my stats take a serious hit when I am her. I have a tough time finishing off Titans and I constantly do the most damage to a Titan only to get an assist in LTS. It seems like every time a titan ejects in the doomed state I never get the kill.

Top Bottom