• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

Neiteio

Just bought it and started playing, testing it out in one-player Battle Mode against seven CPUs, with the camera set to locked. THIS GAME IS SO FUN. Super-slick, and revenge carts are hilarious. Grinning ear to ear!

If it launched this way, a lot more people would have been accepting of it.

Now I know a lot of people are still going to think of it the way it was at launch.

LordKano

I'd be skeptical of any graphical report from gaffers until we have some solid video comparisons. See how it was with Zelda.

Now I know a lot of people are still going to think of it the way it was at launch.

Many will still look at the original reviews, written or video, and judge the game on that basis.

Sometimes I think updates can be so key to improving a game that a re-review should be done so that new buyers get a true impression of the game they will now be buying.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'd be skeptical of any graphical report from gaffers until we have some solid video comparisons. See how it was with Zelda.
You can trust me, I launched the 2 versions within seconds, pre and post patch. There's a resolution hit in handheld mode, no doubt about it. But you won't care as it's now more pleasing regardless.

Litri

I'm getting interested in buying this but the press reviews are not fully convincing me. Anyone here could drop a few lines on what would make the game worth it? Not played a Bomberman game since Mega Bomberman on the Mega Drive.

I'm getting interested in buying this but the press reviews are not fully convincing me. Anyone here could drop a few lines on what would make the game worth it? Not played a Bomberman game since Mega Bomberman on the Mega Drive.
It's honestly just good old Bomberman. It doesn't do anything to crazy apart from revive the series with a neat artstyle. I haven't played with the patch yet but online matches can be great provided everyone has a good connection, some are not so great. I'm sure the patch helps with those ones.

deleted

If Konami is clever they'll try to implement Bomberman into Smash now to get that sweet Amiibo money and synergy effects on this game so that sales pick up again when Smash releases.

Hopefully we'll see another patch with even more crossover characters, I'd love that. Gimme Bomber-Dracula, Bombing-Snake, Football-Man...

Fantastic update. the multiplayer is silky smooth, the story is better with the camera, and it overall feels great.

Everything is functioning well except the online, which I tried for the first time. If I try "find opponents with good network connections, I can't find anyone. Any other option is a crapshoot for 4 players and produces generally laggy matches. My NAT is A on the DMZ, is this typical for just this game specifically?

This is my first Nintendo online experience. I hope this doesn't indicate what Mario Kart 8 will be like. I don't seem to have connection issues on any other console I've played with.

Litri

It's honestly just good old Bomberman. It doesn't do anything to crazy apart from revive the series with a neat artstyle. I haven't played with the patch yet but online matches can be great provided everyone has a good connection, some are not so great. I'm sure the patch helps with those ones.

So the formula hasn't changed much since then, not that it's a bad thing. Guess I'll pick it up next week along MK8 then. Thanks.

me0wish

You can trust me, I launched the 2 versions within seconds, pre and post patch. There's a resolution hit in handheld mode, no doubt about it. But you won't care as it's now more pleasing regardless.

I felt it had a minor drop in image quality, but I thought maybe I'm seeing things.

blitz64

I guess I'm pretty stupid when it comes to 30 or 60 fps.

If it weren't for these threads. I wouldn't know the game is running 30 or 60 fps pre patch or post patch.

The graphics looks better in the new patch. I like how it mentions which player has good connections now.

Spades

C97KIV_XkAA0XwK.jpg

New characters look cool!

http://nintendoeverything.com/super.../nggallery/image/super-bomberman-r-vic-viper/

While I'm very VERY happy with these changes I'm going to have to disagree.

People would have still said it's too expensive because certain genres or type of games are not allowed to be priced certain amounts apparently and reviews would have been 7s instead of 6s because again the type of game doesn't allow it to be reviewed highly no matter what. It wouldn't have changed much. The people who are so loud about the price wouldn't have bought it either way.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all this Konami!

Luigiv

Is it 60 in the singleplayer campaign as well now?

Not quite. Going by a video posted earlier in this thread (courtesy of Thoraxes), the framerate has been unlocked but fails to hit 60fps, instead sitting around 45-55. Multiplayer, on the other hand, appears to be a rock solid 60.

hawk2025

While I'm very VERY happy with these changes I'm going to have to disagree.

People would have still said it's too expensive because certain genres or type of games are not allowed to be priced certain amounts apparently and reviews would have been 7s instead of 6s because again the type of game doesn't allow it to be reviewed highly no matter what. It wouldn't have changed much. The people who are so loud about the price wouldn't have bought it either way.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all this Konami!

Please.

Towerfall Ascension got great reviews. It's not about the price. The game launched in a bad state. We don't have to revise history to like how it is now.

Oddduck

Please.

Towerfall Ascension got great reviews. It's not about the price. The game launched in a bad state. We don't have to revise history to like how it is now.

To be honest, I saw a lot of people say shit like, "Bomberman games shouldn't be $50. I bought Bomberman for $10 on XBLA"

Felensis

Banned
This is great news. Kudos to Konami, I guess. I've already finished the Story mode in co-op, but now I may give it a second try thanks to the optimizations. 60fps in MP is also a real bummer! Great! Can't wait to play the next session. Now I want a DF comparisons of 1.2 <> 1.3!

duckroll

I think there are people who would have happily bought it if word of mouth didn't come out that it was broken at launch. I would have bought it anyway if not for a delay on my preorder anyway.

But there were way more people who stayed away because of the price. I think they're wrong and all a bunch of poo poo heads because Bomberman is worth any price. But that's not the point. Those poo poo heads still wouldn't have bought the game even if it launched perfectly. Because they're poo poo heads. :(

I think there are people who would have happily bought it if word of mouth didn't come out that it was broken at launch. I would have bought it anyway if not for a delay on my preorder anyway.

But there were way more people who stayed away because of the price. I think they're wrong and all a bunch of poo poo heads because Bomberman is worth any price. But that's not the point. Those poo poo heads still wouldn't have bought the game even if it launched perfectly. Because they're poo poo heads. :(

Well I don't know about anywhere else but the game has been sold out since launch in the UK, so word of mouth wouldn't have made much difference here. Is it sold out elsewhere? I have a feeling the UK version will be full price for a very long time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
April 2017 is local multiplayer goodness with Bomberman finally complete, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart Deluxe. Invite friends :)

Very close to buying now

How robust are the multiplayer options for the game (online and local)? Can I turn off and on individual powerups? Are there different battle modes (zombie, paint, etc)? I loved playing Bomberman Live years ago.

Raitaro

That settles it: I'm picking up this game as my second Switch purchase! Support like this deserves to be applauded.

(I admit I cancelled my initial day 1 pre-order when the negative impressions started rolling in...)

Bit of a side note but I wish GiantBomb would do a quick look of this game, especially now that it has been improved. Did I miss any UPF coverage by any chance? Jeff seemed to be very negative about it on the podcast but that was based on the oldest build at an event I believe. Curious if he would like it better now.

Edit: ah, just saw the posts about story mode still running at 30. Hmm...that makes my enthusiasm die down a bit I have to admit as that is probably where I'll spend most of my time (as a person without gaming friends).

rjc571

Banned
Multiplayer is definitely improved and runs verrrry smooth, not sure if 60FPS but close to it. Resolution took a hit. Story mode is still at 30FPS though

So the patch notes lied? They said the framerate of the entire game was improved.

Terrorblot

This is exciting! I played my copy of Bomberman R the first week I got the Switch and never touched it again, I'm looking forward to this actually being a playable game!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Do we have any comparison screens and vids yet? And can they be added to the OP please?

I'm sure Konami were well aware of this and decided launching with the hardware was more important for sales. I imagine they made the right choice.

Neiteio

This is addictive. Pleasantly surprised by the slick menus, shiny graphics, catchy music, tight controls, abundant options, etc. The story mode is fun so far (first world looks gorgeous), and the cutscenes are adorable. You can also play Battle Mode against CPUs if you want a quick match. It feels SO GOOD to play a Bomberman game again.

Top Bottom