• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: The United States has meddled in 81 elections in 47 countries

jWILL253

Banned
This is a very irresponsible article from CNN. Not because of the truths told within the article, because they are, in fact, truths. But because of the improper context and timing. In the midst of the investigation into Trump's collusion, Trump and his base are literally looking for anything to hang their hat on. They're looking for any kind of information to spin positively in their favor, because they know they are on the wrong side of history & public perception. Hell, CNN themselves have been constantly villainized by Trump and his ilk for even bothering to report on the investigation.

But with all that said, they decided to release this article. Trump is gonna use this as a defense for his own actions, and it will begin to shift the narrative. It won't save him from any repercussions or consequences that come from his actions, but all this article does is create more polarization within the American public over this issue, and makes people think we shouldn't make sure to solve our current case of treason, because hey... if we do it to other folks, what's the big deal???

Hell, in this very thread alone, you have people coming out the woodwork, almost as if they were waiting for this opportunity.

Real Hero

But if trump does directly latch onto this it will make him look even more guilty. He can't anyway after bashing cnn so much but if he did it would look even worse for him

PBY

Banned
This is a very irresponsible article from CNN. Not because of the truths told within the article, because they are, in fact, truths. But because of the improper context and timing. In the midst of the investigation into Trump's collusion, Trump and his base are literally looking for anything to hang their hat on. They're looking for any kind of information to spin positively in their favor, because they know they are on the wrong side of history & public perception. Hell, CNN themselves have been constantly villainized by Trump and his ilk for even bothering to report on the investigation.

But with all that said, they decided to release this article. Trump is gonna use this as a defense for his own actions, and it will begin to shift the narrative. It won't save him from any repercussions or consequences that come from his actions, but all this article does is create more polarization within the American public over this issue, and makes people think we shouldn't make sure to solve our current case of treason, because hey... if we do it to other folks, what's the big deal???

Hell, in this very thread alone, you have people coming out the woodwork, almost as if they were waiting for this opportunity.
That isn't CNNs job though?

Linkark07

Banned
I used to believe back when I was a kid that the USA were the heroes of the entire planet. Then, when I grew up and started reading history, that vision of the US broke immediately. Especially about Chile; when I knew the US were behind of the coup d'etat of Salvador Allende's government, and the reason Pinochet got into power, I started to dislike the country. No wonder in Latin America many people hate the United States and the gringos.

That is probably too few. I mean this is what countries do, but the US is particularly bad, being as powerful as they are. They have the worst record in Latin America at least.

Oersted

But if trump does directly latch onto this it will make him look even more guilty. He can't anyway after bashing cnn so much but if he did it would look even worse for him

O’Reilly said: “He’s a killer, though. Putin’s a killer.”

“There are a lot of killers,” Trump replied. “We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”

You really think the President of the United States of America would miss out the chance to throw the United States of America under the bus?

Vixdean

Yeah, so? I love these threads because it exposes just how vacuous the arguments of anti-US folks are. I dunno about you guys, but I learned in grade school that "but he did it first!" isn't a valid excuse for a goddamn thing.

Whompa02

This isn't some, "it's okay if Nintendo does it" argument.

Democracy is the least worst form of government. It needs to be established.

If it weren't for the global fallout, America's Trump debacle would be completely hilarious. Alas, we foreigners too have to suffer.

Tovarisc

Disgusting of CNN to engage in whataboutism, even if it's true.

US meddling in elections of foreign nations and doing drone strikes where ever and when ever are things that never are talked about without whataboutism context, sadly. Both are things that world kinda acknowledge as things that US actively does, but doesn't talk about.

Edit: stroke.. strike... whats the difference? (words are hard)

If it weren't for the global fallout, America's Trump debacle would be completely hilarious. Alas, we foreigners too have to suffer.

Well I mean and all the minorities and such that live within the US, but sure hilarious is what I'd go with when Far Right White Nationalists take over.

US meddling in elections of foreign nations and doing drone strokes where ever and when ever are things that never are talked about without whataboutism context, sadly. Both are things that world kinda acknowledge as things that US actively does, but doesn't talk about.

"Whataboutism!" Is a popular defence among American Gaffers. Please stop talking about the bad shit we do. Please focus on Boris and the yellow people.

You can scream whataboutism all you'd like but democrat or republican president it makes no difference to the rest of the world. Even brother Barack was an overall disappointment.

I mean i wont comment very much on this topic since i'm a junior and this is an US centric board.

But, we can really see who is and who isnt from USA in this thread.

If americans think that what Russia did is worse than US maybe you really have to read an history book or something

Heck, here on Brazil you can read that US did support the military dictatorship.

Dont mean i think US deserves it but you can see some irony

As a black dude in the US, allow me to roll my fucking eyes at this comment. I've got a laundry list of grievances with America but calling it the "ultimate evil" anything is hyperbolic to the point of being comedic.

Guess those country's that their leaders will kill their citizens if they look at them the wrong way and will kill their political rivals must be the "good guy's".

"Whataboutism!" Is a popular defence making American Gaffers. Please stop talking about the bad shit we do. Please focus on Boris and the yellow people.

You can scream whataboutism all you'd like but democrat or republican president it makes no difference to the rest of the world. Even brother Barack was an overall disappointment.

I mean yes it does make a difference....

Like come on.... Paris Accord just as the biggest example...

You do? Turkey is leaking our shit, Europe is making trade deals behind our back, Japan/South Korea were told to build some sweet nukes, Canada is sweet talking our governors and Mexicans just get to laugh at Trump whenever he opens his mouth about the wall.

I guess it must suck to live in Syria or North Korea, though.

Where is Mexico? It was 50 years of meddling not only elections but also policies all around! And when the old regime came down, they just changed strategies to simply arm the cartels.

America and its Western allies like to think of themselves as the cool rebels, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, saving the world.

But you know who you really are.

00317a77c37b5f2cf03f0f82949c08cb.jpg

Britain is the Empire.

US is whatever the TFA version is called with the emo vader and the revolting leader.

Yep, the problem is that they're bringing everyone down with them.

You do? Turkey is leaking our shit, Europe is making trade deals behind our back, Japan/South Korea were told to build some sweet nukes, Canada is sweet talking our governors and Mexicans just get to laugh at Trump whenever he opens his mouth about the wall.

I guess it must suck to live in Syria or North Korea, though.

Fucking up the Paris Climate agreement is global though.

Britain is the Empire.

I think a lot of American's forget how much the US has fucked over other countries removing democratically elected leaders and leading to many deaths. It's not downplaying Russia to say "you guys have done this to so many countries and now that you see the repercussions of it happening to you hopefully you adjust your foreign policy accordingly." Of course the people that don't know the US does this shit too are the loudest to be pissy about Russia.

MrHoot

I still remember when we found out here in Switzerland that a CIA agent basically got a banker drunk and coerced him to share information on foreign clients while everyone else, especially here, was going YASSS OBAMA. So hardly surprising.

That said, doesn't excuse the absolute shitfest that is the russian intervention in the US election

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I mean yeah, it's exactly the same thing as putting a total narcissistic idiot in charge of a nuclear arsenal when his puppet master in possession of kompromat has thousands of nukes pointed at the west and wants to destroy the EU and NATO. Totes the same thing folks.

Instead of worrying about how Trump will use this information, why not worry about how this information is part of the reason why Trump got elected.

The chasm between what the West pretends to be and what it actually is, is so vast now, that the system is literally starting to break down and collapse under the weight of its own lies. That's why you have the kind of absolute political chaos erupting in places like the UK and US now. The chaos it used to only export to foreign countries has finally seeped into its own societies enough to the point where people no longer buy or believe the bullshit.

If the West was even 1/10th of what it claimed to be and represent in the world, there's no way Donald Trump would ever have been able to usurp the political process like he did and get elected. There's no way the chaos with Cameron and May and Brexit would ever have happened. These things point to a deep rotting corruption, a complete breakdown and loss of faith in the institutions that govern these societies.

Tovarisc

I mean yeah, it's exactly the same thing as putting a total narcissistic idiot in charge of a nuclear arsenal when his puppet master in possession of kompromat has thousands of nukes pointed at the west and wants to destroy the EU and NATO. Totes the same thing folks.

Removing leader that people chose or influencing outcome and planting leader you find favorable for your agenda of that time? Yes, sounds about same thing.

Planted leader and him / her being narcissistic 5yo in USA is just dangerous on global scale because of military power country has.

Nerazar

reporting doesnt require a conclusive argument.

Yes, but then for what end do we use that reporting? All I am seeing is a whataboutism galore and thus a lot of people implicitly trying to morally defend actions from countries like Russia in this very moment. not 50 years ago. And yes, you can be against military foreign interventions from the US *and* Russia. I don't see that expressed that often, though. It's almost always just the US.

But most of the times, even in the official Kremlin argument, it's like "Well, because of Kosovo back then we had to invade Ukraine today". And that's not what we should argue for.

black_13

Banned
And Americans wonder why they are so hated around the world. The United States is an empire and it will do anything to maintain its number one position in the world.

This is news? USA has always been the global policeman of sorts, it was inevitable that they meddled for the sake of "democracy" (especially in the Middle East).

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Removing leader that people chose or influencing outcome and planting leader you find favorable for your agenda of that time? Yes, sounds about same thing.

Planted leader and him / her being narcissistic 5yo in USA is just dangerous on global scale because of military power country has.

Your second point shows why it's not the same thing. Maybe from a base moral standpoint it is, but the implications matter in the consideration

Moff

And yes, you can be against military foreign interventions from the US *and* Russia. I don't see that expressed that often, though. It's almost always just the US.
You cannot be serious.
In western media its always about the good americans and the bad Russians. It's pure propaganda. Thats what bothers people.

If that wasnt the case, this thread would look a lot different. Americans have 0 self awareness and always cry whataboutism whenever someone brings anything up, even CNN in a standalone article that deals specifically with this.

Twio

I love it when CNN tries to get edgy with a false equivalence to get good ratings

They've learned nothing from their missing Malaysian plane days

Nerazar

And Americans wonder why they are so hated around the world. The United States is an empire and it will do anything to maintain its number one position in the world.

Well, they are *hated* in places like Russia, Venezuela, North Korea and around the Middle East or so. I know where I stand, even though the US is not a uncomplicated ally, especially right now. Many of those "meddlings" in that list happened during the Cold War and well, if the Soviets start with sending weapons and personnel to faction A, then I would argue that supporting faction B is not necessarily the wrong choice.

The Italy case is a prime example for that. The Soviets wanted to establish a Communist Italy or at least install a regime-friendly government which would give them access to more military bases and whatnot and the US tried to stop that.

I would chalk something like that up on the Plus-side of history.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I try to stay away from commenting in political threads too much on GAF, but comments like this just show a shocking lack of awareness of history and how the world works.

Anyway, this isn't really news, CNN, as it's what trump fans first say whenever someone says Russia interfered. "But we do it all the time too!" Yes, I'm sure we do, more than we will ever know.

Lime

Our past actions, while questionable and even reprehensible, have no bearing on the current crisis,

Lol, this is exactly the blind and unhelpful approach to why the US is in the state it is. It is precisely because the US has always been a militaristic imperialistic white supremacist hypercapitalist society that the people in power are basically fascist who murders people. It's always been like this.

I always laugh when I see people saying #notmycountry or "this is unprecedented" and so forth, when the US has always been like this with their politicians.

Top Bottom