• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB C confusion.... help!

harz-marz

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered off before but I have got myself into a bit of confusion about USB C and charging my devices properly. I have the following USB C devices:

2016 MacBook Pro
Samsung Galaxy S8
Nintendo Switch

All of the cables/chargers that come with each device all charge them as expected, but I wanted to purchase some more options for charging in different rooms etc.

I purchased this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CJ9OEZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But when I plugged in my S8 it just said "charging" and nothing about it charging rapidly like its own charger. Why is this?

Ultimately what I am looking for is some kinda USB C hub that will charge all of the above devices, from one plug, at the fastest speed possible.

Any suggestions? I am based in the UK... thanks!

ty_hot

Fast charging options are not related only to the cable, it depends on the device, the cable, the charger itself. You probably wont find a hub that charge all of them at max speed because of this.

I bought a portable battery and I just got the cheapest Anker (reliable) one because I know that just there isnt one that is the best for all my devices.

Anyway, I charged my OP3T yesterday with the Nexus 6P usb-c cable and charger and it seemed to charge very quickly, even though it was not Dash Charge (the proprietary fast charge technology of OP phones).

USB C is 5V and around 1.0A
Fast chargers up the voltage to 9V.
Don't use fast chargers for anything other than the device they're for as you can fry them.

harz-marz

Fast charging options are not related only to the cable, it depends on the device, the cable, the charger itself. You probably wont find a hub that charge all of them at max speed because of this.

I understand that the MacBook may struggle to fast charge, I should have said I am more interested in my phone charging at the maximum speed and being able to play the Switch and it charge while playing.

linkboy

Qualcomm's Quick Charge over USB-C is out of spec for USB-C, so that might be an issue.

The MBP is going to need a charger with more power, so I'd recommend something like this

Apple's official charger

Apple's USB-C accessories are some of the best you can get.

Zaph

You're not going to find a hub that will charge your MBP at an acceptable speed - it would require 61W (13") or 87W (15") just to keep pace with the original charger. Even $300+ Thunderbolt hubs struggle to match that output.

edit: Don't buy cheap Amazon chargers like the one in the post above. USB-C circuitry is very delicate and it's so easy to fry your MBP. This is doubly so for random Chinese brands trying to confuse customers with their name ("belker" barely exists).

Horns

USB C is 5V and around 1.0A
Fast chargers up the voltage to 9V.
Don't use fast chargers for anything other than the device they're for as you can fry them.

Good to know. I just bought a type C fast charger cable on Amazon and it says it's made for my phone, MacBook and Switch. Planned to use it on the USB outlet on computer and in car. Should I be concerned?

linkboy

You're not going to find a hub that will charge your MBP at an acceptable speed - it would require 61W (13") or 87W (15") just to keep pace with the original charger. Even $300+ Thunderbolt hubs struggle to match that output.

edit: Don't buy cheap Amazon chargers like the one in the post above. USB-C circuitry is very delicate and it's so easy to fry your MBP. This is doubly so for random Chinese brands trying to confuse customers with their name ("belker" barely exists).

From what I've seen, it's been USB-C to USB-A cables that have been causing the majority of the issues.

Anyways, I edited the post to recommend going with an official Apple cable.

I use Anker multi-port chargers for my S8, my iPad Air 2 and whatever else I have. Never had any problems with them. Same with Anker cables. Nice, thick, certified cables for USB-C and Lightning cables. The chargers even change LED colors depending on the type of charge they are providing.

They allow the OPTION of fast charging, but it's up to the device itself to decide if there's enough voltage for that or not.

Both the iPad Air 2 and the S8 charge at the max rates they are designed for, so long as there is enough voltage in the charger. They only draw what 1.) they are capable of and 2.) what's available in the charger. The charger itself only provides the power.

For my S8, it'll use Fast-Charging until it hits 100%, then it goes into Trickle Charging mode just to keep it at 100%.

The more recent devices are pretty smart. They won't "fry" unless you use a cheap, shitty charger or cheap, shitty cables. But you don't need "official Apple Store overpriced" stuff for that. Just check the reviews on Amazon or wherever to make sure lots of people have used the same stuff without issues.

Like I said, Anker is a good brand I use a lot for chargers and cables of all types. But there are a handful of other quality brands too you can shop around for.

Top Bottom