• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

I don't think these films will be getting made much longer so they are going all out.
G14, Kong, and Shin Godzilla were all financially successful for their distributors, both domestically and worldwide. Giant monster movies aren't going anywhere unless Toho or Legendary flood the market with shit.

I don't think these films will be getting made much longer so they are going all out.

Just like the fictional monster, the Godzilla franchise literally cannot die.

Toho had 14 cents in their bank account and they managed to cobble together enough stock footage to make like 5 movies.

have you guys ever watched a Godzilla movie before

I'd say as whole most people on GAF haven't outside of G14 or the awful 1998 version. We don't even have a Godzilla or a "kaiju" OT. I recognize almost all of the fans just based on their avatar alone and how often they pop up in Godzilla threads lol.

Speaking of a Godzilla OT, would anybody be down to help me make one? I definitely feel like we could get a really good source of information for any gaffers interested in the series.

I'd say as whole most people on GAF haven't outside of G14 or the awful 1998 version. We don't even have a Godzilla or a "kaiju" OT. I recognize almost all of the fans just based on their avatar alone and how often they pop up in Godzilla threads lol.

Speaking of a Godzilla OT, would anybody be down to help me make one? I definitely feel like we could get a really good source of information for any gaffers interested in the series.

A Godzilla OT would be awesome. Been a Godzilla fan since I was 5 years old, and have gone to G-Fest in Chicago four times (Less than a month to go until the next one). Also a G-Fan magazine subscriber. An OT on here to talk all things Godzilla is something I've been missing.

I'm surprised there isn't one. I assumed there was one already

gabbo

People should be less worried about the screentime the monsters get and more to do with how well the human cast can actually make us care about those scenes without them. I didnt mind Aaron Johnson's character, but he didnt really convey the sense of dread and loss someone in his position should have.
Hopefully the new cast can

People should be less worried about the screentime the monsters get and more to do with how well the human cast can actually make us care about those scenes without them. I didnt mind Andrew Johnson's character, but he didnt really convey the sense of dread and loss someone in his position should have.
Hopefully the new cast can

Good news is that Dougherty is already way better at eliciting convincing/interesting performances from his actors than Gareth Edwards was/is.

He's also a pretty decent screenwriter too, so he has a good sense of story, and how to tell it. Not saying he's some sort of master storyteller or whatever, just that when it comes to pulling interesting/entertaining performances out of his cast, he's easily Edwards' superior.

Edwards needed Tony Gilroy to get Godzilla into the shape it wound up in (which wasn't great from a drama standpoint) and Gilroy was given way more time and money to do the same with Rogue One.

I don't think Dougherty is going to need that much help/support on that end.

Gravidee

I'm really hoping that Michael Giachinno will be the one scoring this. After doing 'Roar' for Cloverfield, I've always thought that his style would be well suited for a modern Godzilla film.

Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah all in the same film sounds like a clusterfuck
I mean it's not like they're deep characters that need to be introduced with a back story. All you need is Ken Watanabe to say they came out of hiding somewhere and you can get straight to the action.

I do hope Mothra gets introduced correctly though but that wouldn't really fit an American movie. The twins were in the first movie though so who knows.

I'm really hoping that Michael Giachinno will be the one scoring this. After doing 'Roar' for Cloverfield, I've always thought that his style would be well suited for a modern Godzilla film.

So far as the music goes it would be nice to get THAT THEME in here.

I liked Desplat's score for Godzilla but I thought it woulda been nice to hear those notes just ONCE.

Aki-at

That cast is great, loving it.

As for the monster selection, I am totally on board but I fear this is too soon. King Ghidorah has become Godzilla's greatest adversary that anything that comes after him will feel like a step down. Considering we'll see an inevitable Godzilla and Kong team up in the following movie, makes you wonder who they'll pull out for those two to face off against.

Buckle

Oh wow, they're actually going with Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah all in the first sequel.

Seems like a lot but we'll see. Its not like theres a lot of character building that needs to be done there.

Set it up well enough and give me the monster mash and I'll be happy.

Really looking forward to seeing how King Ghidora will look and animate. I hope the lighting mouth blasts are as cool as Godzilla's mouth fire was in the last (US) movie.

Mothra... Never was a huge fan, but it works as a buddy for Godzilla or stopping him from doing too much destruction to humanity (when he's being the badguy). I wouldn't mind seeing Mothra sacrifice itself weakening Ghidora or Rodanthe or something.

Rodan is fine, but the last movie already had a flying monster, so I'm curious how they keep Rodan fresh.

Maxinas

So the "avengers" of the Kaiju Cinematic Universe. Mothra and Rodan are obviously cannon fodder, minor enemies that will get annihilated before the final battle between Godzilla and King Ghidorah i assume. Or maybe even a team up vs Ghidorah, can't wait.

JdFoX187

Banned
Shin was an amazing breath of fresh air after the disasters that were the Heisei and Millennium series. I'd say Legendary should attempt it again.
1Kpf90V.gif

You take that back. The Heisei series was some of Godzilla's most entertaining iterations. Shin was good, but still had its issues.

I hope Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra team up to take down King Ghidorah. Make it a straight remake of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster minus the princess from Venus.

Shin was a terrible Godzilla film.

Daingurse

It's going to be really hard to wait for this movie, but hey, that just gives me another reason to live! I need to see this on the biggest screen possible!

Wow, you didn't end up liking Shin? It's in my top 3 now with Godzilla 1985 and Gojira. I know you're a pretty huge fan too, so I'd be curious to know why didn't like it. You got a post somewhere you can link or something?

Shin is a closer Godzilla film to Gojira than pretty much any other in the franchise.

As I've said before, the thing it's closest to is Veep or Parks & Recreation, really.

It's a good Godzilla movie. I don't think it's better than Godzilla 14, really. But then again I don't think Godzilla 14 is some insult to the series, either.

Both films are good Godzilla films for very different reasons. I prefer Godzilla 14 to Shin, primarily because I find Shin's tone way too inconsistent (and the highs it hits when it manages to secure a grip on its tone not even all that high). Godzilla 14 has its faults, of course, but it's more or less the same movie all the way through. Shin wants to be a satire AND a workplace comedy AND a serious allegory AND a monster movie all at the same time and it only succeeds at two of those all that well.

Sephzilla

I never really got a "workplace comedy" feel from Shin Godzilla.

I love Godzilla 14 also and I guess it's more consistent in tone. But the most interesting character in that movie dies in act 1 and the title character isn't even the main focus of the plot.

Shin was a top 3 Godzilla movie for me, 14 is easily top 10

Absolutely incorrect. Shin Godzilla captured the essence of the original movie and the monster and became one of the best remakes of all time

Shin is a closer Godzilla film to Gojira than pretty much any other in the franchise.
I hate the Godzilla design worse than the 98 film. I just can't get over it.

Plus, this feels like the wrong time for some horror infested disaster evil Godzilla film. Seeing 2014 have Godzilla as a hero and basically be a modern Showa film (and it looks like the next two will be more Showa style) is just awesome. Godzilla has been a villain for too long.

I'll back you on this. As much as I didn't care for the film itself, though, it was at least nice to hear seemingly every single classic sound effect and Godzilla roar in the Toho library.

Seeing 2014 have Godzilla as a hero and basically be a modern Showa film (and it looks like the next two will be more Showa style) is just awesome. Godzilla has been a villain for too long.

I got chills like the next guy for the initial 2014 teaser with the Oppenheimer narration, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the more heroic light the Big G was ultimately cast in. Lately, the memories I had for the 60s & 70s films just seem to resonate with me more, and Legendary's Godzilla felt like the return of a long-lost friend.

Gravidee

Really looking forward to seeing how King Ghidora will look and animate. I hope the lighting mouth blasts are as cool as Godzilla's mouth fire was in the last (US) movie.

Mothra... Never was a huge fan, but it works as a buddy for Godzilla or stopping him from doing too much destruction to humanity (when he's being the badguy). I wouldn't mind seeing Mothra sacrifice itself weakening Ghidora or Rodanthe or something.

Rodan is fine, but the last movie already had a flying monster, so I'm curious how they keep Rodan fresh.

They can differentiate him from the other flying monsters by making him the speed demon of the skies. Like a supersonic blur at top speed but can slow down when he needs to. I don't know how they'll visually depict a giant pterodactyl outmaneuvering fighter jets, but they need to make it happen.

I guess the closest thing to what I'm describing is what we see in Final Wars, when Rodan is attacking New York.

No way man. Shin was the perfect tribute to the Golden Age of Japanese science fiction/ fantasy cinema. Instead of making a half assed "nuclear weapons are bad" theme it makes a reasonable criticism of the government while conveying the sheer terror of the 3/11 disaster and what people as a whole should do about it. There's also some great comedic moments here and there alongside set pieces that were never done before, until it ultimately reaches the climax that deserves far more credit than it gets. It's an incredibly Ishiro Honda-esque moment that fittingly plays to the Battle in Outer Space theme and that alone raises it above two-thirds of the whole franchise. It's the craziest version of Godzilla by Toho, but it's abilities are an evolution of what was done before and it fits the film's theme far better than any other Godzilla movie has done in the last 40 years.

And G14 is hardly like a Showa film at all. If anything it's like a Heisei movie. Instead of having a message warning us, yet being optimistic about what we could achieve, it's has a muddled theme about how nuclear weapons and disasters are bad, and we shouldn't intefere to the point of making it worse.

Daingurse

I hate the Godzilla design worse than the 98 film. I just can't get over it.

Plus, this feels like the wrong time for some horror infested disaster evil Godzilla film. Seeing 2014 have Godzilla as a hero and basically be a modern Showa film (and it looks like the next two will be more Showa style) is just awesome. Godzilla has been a villain for too long.

Ah, ok. That makes a lot of sense.

I love Godzilla as an antagonist force of nature. It's the same reason I was upset with the 2014 movie. That was a Showa-era movie sold like it was the next Gojira! Shin Godzilla feels like closest thing we've gotten to the original Gojira, since like 1984. I dont think I'll ever tire of Godzilla being a villain, as I think that's the role he plays best lol.

And as far as the design is concerned . . . I don't know man I dig Shin Godzilla and his different formes. He creeped me out!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So I need to wait even longer for my Kong crossover?

Also lol at having Easy E in Kong and now Ice Cube in Godzilla. Can we get their two monster movie characters to head nod each other at some point? I know Easy Kong would be in his 70's by this timeline but that'd still be dumb funny.

Also good for O'Shea I was wondering when he'd start poking into other movies. He was good in straight outta Compton.

Have they said, or is there any hope, that we will ever get the mecha monsters in any of the American Godzilla films?

It feels like the American G movies have tried to go for a more "realistic" take on things (as realistic as giant monsters can be, I guess) but I don't know if they can convincingly throw the mechs in there. Godzilla 2014, King Kong, Godzilla 2 are all "modern" movies and our tech is obviously not at the level required to make a giant robot Godzilla or to put a robot head and wings onto a fallen Ghidora.

Have they spoken at all about this? Is the endgame of the current Godzilla franchise Godzilla VS King Kong? Or do they hope to keep doing more Godzilla VS movies after that?

I've always been so curious about what an American-designed MechaGodzilla would look like.

Ah, ok. That makes a lot of sense.

I love Godzilla as an antagonist force of nature. It's the same reason I was upset with the 2014 movie. That was a Showa-era movie sold like it was the next Gojira! Shin Godzilla feels like closest thing we've gotten to the original Gojira, since like 1984. I dont think I'll ever tire of Godzilla being a villain, as I think that's the role he plays best lol.

And as far as the design is concerned . . . I don't know man I dig Shin Godzilla and his different formes. He creeped me out!
Growing up the Showa films were my favorite. I watched Invasion of the Astro-Monster, Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla so many times I wore out the tapes. I have a lot of appreciation for Godzilla as a nuclear allegory, but I'll never not love him as a protector of the Earth.

Paz

No Cranston (Because obviously) sucks because he was the best part of the first film, but also no boring American soldier main character means maybe this will be great.

Jombie

I enjoy the human characters in Shin much more than I do in many of the other films, it's really their movie and some get frustrated by it. It has some solid satire and is genuinely funny at times. Godzilla himself is hit and miss - - there are some amazing scenes, but spends too much of the movie being.. lethargic? I'd put it in my top 10.

One of the issues I have with 2014 is that it's a movie about the MUTO and Godzilla is a deus ex machina that just kinda solves the problem at the end. It doesn't help that the MUTOs are generic monster fodder. The human drama is cliché and boring - - Cranston's character should have been the main protagonist - - or should have been a father-son story. I like it, but find some of the decisions annoying. Not to mention the typical big budget 'everything has to be dark or gray' color scheme.

Top Bottom