• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Speevy

Banned
I don't care that the books are different from the show, but the show sets rules that the show doesn't follow.

I expect consistency from any product.

Faddy

Banned
I don't care that the books are different from the show, but the show sets rules that the show doesn't follow.

I expect consistency from any product.

Maybe the things you interpret as rules aren't really rules. Mind giving some examples.

The only one that sticks out to me is stabbing Arya. The visual language of the show is that stabbed = dead or severely injured but they screwed that up in that one instance.

TTG

Woo, I'm looking forward to tonight boys. Checked the dvr and it's well over an hour as well. Sucks that we can't do predictions because someone is likely to spill whatever leaked.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe the things you interpret as rules aren't really rules. Mind giving some examples.

I could give you dozens, but here is one from this season.

The drama relating to the Unsullied taking Casterly Rock rests on the notion that the soldiers are stranded and have to march all the way back to Dany.

They still haven't returned.

Yet multiple armies and characters have traveled this distance.

Euron Greyjoy controls the seas of Westeros, having destroyed his sister's fleet and captured the sand snakes. He also burned the ships at Casterly Rock so there is evidence that his ships are effectively patrolling the waters in an effort to win this war.

Except when Tyrion, Dany, and the Dothraki make multiple trips to and from the mainland without a peep from him.

Brian Cogman is famous for saying he used to try to keep continuity with time and space but it became too much so he dropped it. I would have done the same thing. But the show regularly produces drama that is based around the concept of time and space.

TTG

The only one that sticks out to me is stabbing Arya. The visual language of the show is that stabbed = dead or severely injured but they screwed that up in that one instance.

Unless of course that person then comes back from the dead. Let's take stock of that for a second, a character on the show was straight up resurrected and back to his old self again.

People posting maps talking about ridiculous routes being taken by armies and navies, that's where your credulity snaps? Enjoy Game of Thrones on the level it works.

Gigglepoo

In general though I think there's a tendency to interpret the show's approach to sexual violence with minimum good faith and assume the worst, most cynical intentions on the part of the creators. Part of that is surely the show's own fault, but there are also plenty of people who love to rip it apart for depicting sexual violence at all.

People also have a much more visceral reaction when they see a horrific event played out instead of described on page. The show was always going to have to fight claims of glorifying sexual violence just because the sheer act of filming it is an endorsement to some.

Can you imagine the reaction people would have had if Ramsay's wedding night had played out the same as it had in the books? There would have been boycots and marches and all manner of hatred flung at HBO and D&D.

Faddy

Banned
I could give you dozens, but here is one from this season.

The drama relating to the Unsullied taking Casterly Rock rests on the notion that the soldiers are stranded and have to march all the way back to Dany.

They still haven't returned.

Yet multiple armies and characters have traveled this distance.

Euron Greyjoy controls the seas of Westeros, having destroyed his sister's fleet and captured the sand snakes. He also burned the ships at Casterly Rock so there is evidence that his ships are effectively patrolling the waters in an effort to win this war.

Except when Tyrion, Dany, and the Dothraki make multiple trips to and from the mainland without a peep from him.

Brian Cogman is famous for saying he used to try to keep continuity with time and space but it became too much so he dropped it. I would have done the same thing. But the show regularly produces drama that is based around the concept of time and space.

Maybe the unsullied have supplies and are garrisoned at Casterly Rock awaiting further instruction via raven.

Faddy

Banned
That would be a terrible place to garrison yourself, but I suppose you could be right.

IDK a large fortified structure seems like an ideal place to stay. If they march somewhere they need a destination and Dany can't seem to stick to a plan.

Okay congrats you just contradicted yourself in the same linear line of thought.

I DON'T LIKE THIS THING, UNLESS THIS THING IS GOOD AS OPPOSED TO BAD.
lol well it's not like I'm trying to prove anything to you or look for some sort of approval. in that sentence, what I meant was certain scenes like that one with Robert and Cersei that didn't happen in the books. It was a nice touch & addition even if it was technically filler.
Nothing is wrong with Jaehaerys, I'm just saying why it might not be that based on Rhaegar's obsession with the original conquerers.
True. I'll take Viserys over Aemon/Aegon/Aerys. Anything with an A, just doesn't suit Jon
There is no source material though.
There are outlines.

turtle553

So... Cersei is gonna get killed tonight, right? I mean there's only one episode left in this season after tonight's episode. Maybe King Jon captures a walker/wight and brings it to cersei and she thinks its some kind of trick and goes to mess with it but it attacks her.

Doubtful now that she's pregnant. Maybe she will have a dwarf baby and reconsider being shitty to Tyrion.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
as I understand it in the books Stannis prays for Robb Stark's death just like he does in the show; just knowing that makes me believe he is scum through and through.
Was Lincoln scum if he prayed for the deaths of the confederates trying to rip apart his country? ;)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I rewatched the pilot yesterday. It was actually better than I remembered, sore thumb being the Dothraki wedding of course. Then I reread the original GAF thread, so much enthusiasm among the book readers back then! :p

Speevy

Banned
I rewatched the pilot yesterday. It was actually better than I remembered, sore thumb being the Dothraki wedding of course. Then I reread the original GAF thread, so much enthusiasm among the book readers back then! :p

Season 1 is a really close adaptation. I can imagine it being universally loved.

I didn't get into the show until season 2.

Gigglepoo

I didn't watch Game of Thrones live until Season 5. I got really late on the bandwagon. The books were good enough... until I wanted to see where these characters were headed.

Majmun

I read all the books before watching the show.
Some of the changes are quite drastic, but I see the books and the show as different entities. And to be honest, I don't mind the differences much. In some ways the show has complemented the books as well, enriched them.

edit- yesss my username has changed. A new era has begun ��

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Maybe the unsullied have supplies and are garrisoned at Casterly Rock awaiting further instruction via raven.

wasn't the entire lannister plan that they took all the supplies with them when they abandoned casterly rock?

and even if we pretend the unsullied took enough supplies with them, they would still have been on the ships when euron teleported there.

TTG

I read all the books before watching the show.
Some of the changes are quite drastic, but I see the books and the show as different entities. And to be honest, I don't mind the differences much. In some ways the show has complemented the books as well, enriched them.

edit- yesss my username has changed. A new era has begun ��

I don't know why people get so worked up about adaptations in general. Anyway, it would have taken GRRM about 4000 pages to work through what has happened in the current season so far assuming the glacial pace of the last book(s), so there are definitely positives on the show side.

I hope Casterly Rock/Grey Worm aren't even mentioned again this season. That siege/showdown is clearly end game.

It could very well be tonight, leaving a Cersei/Dany meeting for the season finale.

Fuzzy

wasn't the entire lannister plan that they took all the supplies with them when they abandoned casterly rock?
Don't you understand? The Unsullied brought supplies with them and unloaded them all from their boats before even attacking!

Seriously, they have no supplies and they're not back yet because Grey Worm refuses to pull over and ask for directions.

Azzanadra

Yaay story time...

I started the books a bit before the show in 2010 or so but I only finished after the first season finished, my reading was pretty on and off until the show sort of prompted me to read faster to finish the series, that and the ADWD hype was palpable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yaay story time...

I started the books a bit before the show in 2010 or so but I only finished after the first season finished, my reading was pretty on and off until the show sort of prompted me to read faster to finish the series, that and the ADWD hype was palpable.

I also read the books in 2010, as news of the show and its casting was hitting. Reading the books and following those updates at the same time was a lot of fun. And now I can't even remember half of what happened in DwD lol

Speevy

Banned
By the way, Benioff has a novel called City of Thieves and it's excellent. Dude knows how to write.

giphy.webp

Fuzzy

I bought the 4-book paperback set during S1 and read AGoT after it finished. I planned on doing that with the other books at the time thinking it would be 1 book = 1 season. S2 was so bad compared to what I later read in ACoK that I decided to read them all right away.

Gigglepoo

My question about Daenerys was chosen as the third question (I was lucky!) but he refused to answer it lol … I asked “How old was Daenerys when she left the house with the red door, and was it located close to the palace of the Sealord of Braavos?” (thanks Butterfly for suggesting it to me) I don’t know why he refused to answer about her age, but about the house with the red door he said there will be more revelations about it in future books.

Preston Jacobs' theory is right! Dany didn't grow up in Bravos!

Speevy

Banned
I had a debate with someone today about Iain Glen's acting in Game of Thrones.

I've always quite liked the character, but my friend hates his portrayal and the way he talks.

TTG

"My question about Daenerys was chosen as the third question (I was lucky!) but he refused to answer it lol ... I asked ”How old was Daenerys when she left the house with the red door, and was it located close to the palace of the Sealord of Braavos?" (thanks Butterfly for suggesting it to me) I don't know why he refused to answer about her age, but about the house with the red door he said there will be more revelations about it in future books."

Preston Jacobs' theory is right! Dany didn't grow up in Bravos!

The correct reply: NNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRDDDDD

Edit: I'm starting to think Sam's scene fell on deaf ears last week, those pasty deaf nerd ears.

TTG

Citrus doesn't grow in foggy climates like Bravos! Weeeeeee!

I imagine the Russian translator trying to make it through that question, the moment she realizes it's the most un-Russian thing she has ever attempted, gives up and runs to the nearest dash cam or high precipice to do some trick and get the nerd out of her system.

bratpack

People also have a much more visceral reaction when they see a horrific event played out instead of described on page. The show was always going to have to fight claims of glorifying sexual violence just because the sheer act of filming it is an endorsement to some.

Can you imagine the reaction people would have had if Ramsay's wedding night had played out the same as it had in the books? There would have been boycots and marches and all manner of hatred flung at HBO and D&D.

I haven't read the books but can you or anyone else here explain what is different between the sansa rape in the books and the tv show?

TTG

You know what really ticks me off? Dany didn't wear appropriate Qarth dress on the show, what kind of shit is that? RESPECT THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

It's one of like 3 differences show to books I can remember at this point. I don't know how you people do it.

Fuzzy

You know what really ticks me off? Dany didn't wear appropriate Qarth dress on the show, what kind of shit is that? RESPECT THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

It's one of like 3 differences show to books I can remember at this point. I don't know how you people do it.
All of us were disappointed with the lack of Qarth dress. :p

If they replaced the whole Winterfell plot with dogs and cats in silly costumes I would be more inclined to like it.

This shifty ass siamese cat littlefinger and like sansa as a cocker spaniel would make me giggle.

Top Bottom