• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo for Xbox One is Halo 5? *gasp*

Nothing is worse than Halo 2's campaign.
Totally agree with that but all the same I have no idea why playing as Elites pissed so many people off. I thought the Arbiter stuff was great.

Reach is the best campaign because it has all the standard covenant enemies, improved brutes and hunters, and skirmishers made for a nice addition. Like ODST it also paid homage to some of the great parts of past Halos while throwing some brand new craziness into the mix (space combat lead in to a cruiser assault, flying around new alexandria)

El_Chino

Midnight launch me and buddy were all set to sit up through the night and co-op the entire thing (we had a 5.1 setup, a big screen TV, pizza, coke, the whole nine yards). We booted up the game excitedly, only to be met by awful graphics pop-in, English speaking Covenant, unfinished stages where we could could fly out of the game world, and then the game had us playing as fucking Elites!?! We only managed to complete the first Arbiter level before we stopped, started drinking, and bitching about how it made us want to give up gaming forever.

Uh what? So you didn't like playing on the other side to see the story from a different point of view and somehow that makes the whole campaign horrible? Okay. Only thing REALLY horrible about Halo 2 was, as we all know, was the ending.

Honestly, I don't understand how you're able to form sentences if you truly believe Halo 4 was "bad". Maybe a bad Halo game, but in no way a bad game. The hypebole is ridiculously infuriating.

Edit: and are people really attributing Halo 4's somewhat lackluster sales to the game's quality? Critically, it only did slightly worse than other Halo's (and better than ODST). CoD proves people generally don't give a shit about FPS review scores. If anything, it was probably series fatigue. For some reason, Halo got hit stronger than CoD.

Monocle

Preposterous. I refuse to believe it.

343, just fix the damn Prometheans and dropped weapon despawning and you can have my money.

Honestly, I don't understand how you're able to form sentences if you truly believe Halo 4 was "bad". Maybe a bad Halo game, but in no way a bad game. The hypebole is ridiculously infuriating.
It's just that, hyperbole.

Sojgat

Uh what? So you didn't like playing on the other side to see the story from a different point of view and somehow that makes the whole campaign horrible? Okay. Only thing REALLY horrible about Halo 2 was, as we all know, was the ending.

lol just gloss over anything else I wrote then.

Here's my own personal opinion on the Halo 2 campaign's shortcomings (in point form):

- The game barely ran on the hardware
- Didn't play as Master Chief for half the campign
- Part of the city environment that was teased at E3 wasn't even in the "finished" poduct
- Fought stupid apes with terrible AI most of the time, instead of Elites
- Scarab sections were underwhelming
- Entire game seemed rushed and incomplete, with sections like the elevator where you literally stand doing nothing (there was a story on fucking 60 minutes hyping this game for crying out loud, this was disappointing stuff)
- Level design makes Halo 4's straight paths seem labyrinthian by comparison
- Fought a bad version of The Flood and met their boss The Elder God from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Then fought more monkeys on long straight paths using their awesome red plasma rifles
- Then the ending was a cliffhanger...

The fact that I didn't really want to see Keith David's side of the story was the least of my problems with the game.

Edit: and are people really attributing Halo 4's somewhat lackluster sales to the game's quality? Critically, it only did slightly worse than other Halo's (and better than ODST). CoD proves people generally don't give a shit about FPS review scores. If anything, it was probably series fatigue. For some reason, Halo got hit stronger than CoD.

Review scores have very little to do with quality, and series fatigue doesn't usually lead to the biggest day 1 sales in series history.

Midnight launch me and buddy were all set to sit up through the night and co-op the entire thing (we had a 5.1 setup, a big screen TV, pizza, coke, the whole nine yards). We booted up the game excitedly, only to be met by awful graphics pop-in, English speaking Covenant, unfinished stages where we could could fly out of the game world, and then the game had us playing as fucking Elites!?! We only managed to complete the first Arbiter level before we stopped, started drinking, and bitching about how it made us want to give up gaming forever.

Strange i never had those issues and i enjoyed playing as the arbiter.

El_Chino

Here's my own personal opinion on the Halo 2 campaign's shortcomings (in point form):

- Part of the city environment that was teased at E3 wasn't even in the "finished" poduct
- Entire game seemed rushed and incomplete, with sections like the elevator where you literally stand doing nothing (there was a story on fucking 60 minutes hyping this game for crying out loud, this was disappointing stuff)
- Fought a bad version of The Flood and met their boss The Elder God from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Then fought more monkeys on long straight paths using their awesome red plasma rifles

The fact that I didn't really want to see Keith David's side of the story was the least of my problems with the game.

I didn't gloss it over, the other reasons just didn't make sense to me.

- The game ran fine, pop in graphics were the only issue.

- You did play as MC for the first half of the game. Out of the 14 playable missions, 8 or more were played as MC.

- Scarab moments were bad ass for it's time.

- They had to degrade the engine. Halo 2 wasn't and still isn't the only game to be different from it's E3 build. Halo 3 was the same.

- Fighting the brutes were part of the story, if you cared enough to pay attention to it.

akira28

Keep going. You're making me fall in love with Halo 2 all over again. Tell me about the shortness of the prototype cloak on Hardcore mode.

aronmayo2

Banned
Nice artwork but the Halo series has been going majorly downhill.
I don't know anyone that still plays Halo 4.

I know many people that still play it regularly. It's actually more fun now than when it launched too...Ricochet is really a lot of fun.

Review scores have very little to do with quality, and series fatigue doesn't usually lead to the biggest day 1 sales in series history.

To the average player, yes they do. I know the average GAFer usually judge games themselves, but a 9.8/10 from IGN sure means a lot to an igorant consumer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
To the average player, yes they do. I know the average GAFer usually judge games themselves, but a 9.8/10 from IGN sure means a lot to an igorant consumer.

Modern%20Review%20Scale.png

Sojgat

I didn't gloss it over, the other reasons just didn't make sense to me.

The Covenant didn't speak english in Halo CE, I didn't like how they changed it, and in sections where you could fly a Banshee you could often fly right out through the borders of the invisible ceiling.

- The game ran fine, pop in graphics were the only issue.

The game also had slowdown problems during busy encounters in the SP campaign (mainly vehicle sections), that and some of the worst pop-in to this day is not running fine.

- You did play as MC for the first half of the game. Out of the 14 playable missions, 8 or more were played as MC.

Sorry, nearly half the game ( I didn't want to get pedantic and start counting the number of stages)

- Scarab moments were bad ass for it's time.

My experience was that they just walked in a straight line and sometimes the textures hadn't loaded by the time you destroyed them.

- They had to degrade the engine. Halo 2 wasn't and still isn't the only game to be different from it's E3 build. Halo 3 was the same.

Didn't they only ever show trailers for Halo 3 at E3? I know things changed, but there were no actual walkthroughs of entire sections that weren't in the game right?

- Fighting the brutes were part of the story, if you cared enough to pay attention to it.

Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean.

Totally agree with that but all the same I have no idea why playing as Elites pissed so many people off. I thought the Arbiter stuff was great.
The sore spot for me about the Arbiter sections was that it was entirely Covenant weaponry, it just took out a whole section of the sandbox whereas MC had the whole arsenal at play. I recall during my very first playthrough of Halo 2 I was getting bored of plasma weaponry and carbines. I actually liked Arbiter as a character and the concept behind the perspective change though.

The sore spot for me about the Arbiter sections was that it was entirely Covenant weaponry, it just took out a whole section of the sandbox whereas MC had the whole arsenal at play. I recall during my very first playthrough of Halo 2 I was getting bored of plasma weaponry and carbines. I actually liked Arbiter as a character and the concept behind the perspective change though.

That was story related though. The Elites as a species hated humankind and thought us to be a blight. They would hold their pride and die before touching any of our weapons. Though it did make for those sections of the game being less fun.

Settin

I don't care what they call it, I just want a better UI. My crappy eyes could never see the grenade indicator in Halo 4, so I gave up on the multiplayer after a few hours.

Blueblur1

I could not disagree more with some of you guys. Halo 2 had a great campaign (minus the ending). It's still my second favorite; the first being Halo 1's campaign.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Keep going. You're making me fall in love with Halo 2 all over again. Tell me about the shortness of the prototype cloak on Hardcore mode.

I actually played through the entirety of Halo 2's campaign on Legendary until Tarter Sauce where I gave up :(

Watching speedruns really helped. Able to glitch through some of the maps.

Toxi

Banned
Halo 2's worst aspects where the narrow corridors and the GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING JACKAL SNIPERS! The Flood were brought back in a rather lazy way too.

It's got some real good parts; I love the opening scene in Delta Halo where you have to climb to the fortress, clear it out, and then defend it.

Blueblur1

The Jackal Snipers were awfully hard. I dreaded playing certain stages on Legendary just because they would kill me over and over. The worst was when I thought I'd gotten them all only to be killed by the single Jackal Sniper I missed. >_<

Reach is the best campaign because it has all the standard covenant enemies, improved brutes and hunters, and skirmishers made for a nice addition. Like ODST it also paid homage to some of the great parts of past Halos while throwing some brand new craziness into the mix (space combat lead in to a cruiser assault, flying around new alexandria)

I hated the sniper jackels and the Brutes were way overpowered. Halo 2's campaign was awful. It was the only one I didn't play more than once.

Didn't they only ever show trailers for Halo 3 at E3? I know things changed, but there were no actual walkthroughs of entire sections that weren't in the game right?

They actually had a ten minute E3 demo that was shown in their theater, I don't know if it was released publicly or leaked during that time, but if you have the Halo 2 Documentary they talk about it there, saying that it was essentially just made for E3 and they knew there was no way they could actually pull it off, so after E3 they had to actually make the real Halo 2.

This is why we need to switch to a 5 point scale, not a 100 point scale.

1 - Avoid at all costs
2 - Only if you're a fan
3 - Average, enjoyable but nothing amazing
4 - Great game, recommended
5 - Must play game for anyone
10 point scale is effectively a 5 point scale anyway, with the first 5 points being an arbitrary scale of how bad they want to convey the game is. I agree though, it's pretty much the way to go with review scores with each point holding significance.

Sojgat

They actually had a ten minute E3 demo that was shown in their theater, I don't know if it was released publicly or leaked during that time, but if you have the Halo 2 Documentary they talk about it there, saying that it was essentially just made for E3 and they knew there was no way they could actually pull it off, so after E3 they had to actually make the real Halo 2.

Halo 3? I remember watching the E3 campaign trailer like 100 times, but it felt like they held off revealing much right up to release.

I just don't feel excited about this game even with dedicated servers and 60 fps. I just felt so duped when 343 came in promising old school halo heck the first h4 vidoc showed the battle rifle prominently. Then they released more information and it became clear that this was their vision of halo. I'm definitely going to wait before buying this game so that i can read reviews from certain halo community members.

Should be called Halo One! If this was a Nintendo console, everything would have a "One" at the end!

Seriously though, I hope they shake up the Halo formula a bit. Just better graphics with the same Halo gameplay might be too much fatigue.

Defect

Should be called Halo One! If this was a Nintendo console, everything would have a "One" at the end!

Seriously though, I hope they shake up the Halo formula a bit. Just better graphics with the same Halo gameplay might be too much fatigue.
I hope you're joking.

Reach and 4 changed so drastically that it shouldn't even be called Halo.

I have to say, it was a sad sight to go into the Halo community thread months before Halo 4 came out. Just watching the excitement morph into hate, well it was all very disheartening.

Everyone was just like, "Welp, Halo 5 then? Nah, Halo 6 because it'll take them a game to get used to the new hardware". So sad, so funny, so true.

Halo 3? I remember watching the E3 campaign trailer like 100 times, but it felt like they held off revealing much right up to release.

Sorry, totally misread, was convinced it said 2.

I think you're right, they held their cards close to the chest on that one.

demolitio

Honestly, I find it a little funny that you insult someone's intelligence over their opinion and only reinforce it with your own...

If people think it's a bad Halo game, that's their feeling and nothing is going to change that. It might not be a bad game, but it wasn't the Halo game people were looking for and the MP didn't entertain people nearly as long as previous Halo games did so surely it was more than just fatigue if even owners of the game didn't play it as much as previous games.

Either way, it's no reason to insult people over their reception of a game. If Halo 4 ruined some people's hype for Halo 5, then it's up to 343 to prove them wrong. The same thing has happened to numerous franchises this generation but Halo still has a lot going for it as long as they remain Halo.

Damn, I must be the only one who actually enjoys Halo 4.
I had a lot of fun with it - campaign was good for a few run-throughs but just doesn't have the depth or longevity or replay value of other Halos. I ran through all the Spartan Ops episodes several times and got to level 86 in the multiplayer, mostly Big Team Battle, but some Infinity Slayer too. It was nothing but good times for me and my group, but it was shallow overall, so I can see where HaloGAF was disappointed. Once you found your groove in the multiplayer there was no higher level end-game so to speak.

Its a solid game, with incredible presentation and the best damn feel of being a Spartan ever. It also had a shitton of content, its just that the content never reached great heights.

That said, I liked it quite a bit, and am sure 343 has it in them to seriously impress if given the time and space.

nbraun80

We've been complaining about loadouts and AAs since 2010 and they only build on top of them. Be ready for upgradable perks ala MW2/Black Ops.

I feel like they feel kinda stuck with the AA's since reach brought them in. They like to keep the story cannon in sync, so they probably feel like they just can't make them disappear. I don't feel like they were as broken as they were in reach, although I feel jetpack ruins map flow in both games.

Top Bottom