• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 1.04 Patch Notes - [Patch 1.05 Has Been Released On 360/PS3 U.S. & 360 EU]

cj_iwakura

I think the item descriptions tell plenty story as it is. Should be crazy if they add even MORE, but I doubt it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Smo21 said:
Will Blighttown now run at double digit fps?

CTRL+F Blighttown.

Well done. I don't see any mention of it in the patch notes and as such will continue to skip over Dark Souls.

duckroll

knitoe said:
Was the Stonesword AOE fixed? Did see it mention.

Doesn't it require the same switch/toggle exploit as all the other infinite magic/item exploits? I'm pretty sure if they fixed that exploit at the root (the actual input bug), all the related exploits will no longer work right?

Lots of good changes there.

The amount of Faith required to join the Sunlight Covenant is now 25 instead of 50. The formula for reducing it with multiplayer remains the same.
It should have probably been this way from the beginning. The Sunlight covenant should be an easy covenant to enter considering you get the white soapstone and join it in Undead burg/parish in the early areas of the game.

Aeana

d0c_zaius said:
wow!

input delay fixes, master key purchasable and some needed nerfs! they are listening yay!
I was excited about the master key being purchasable until I read about Domhnall selling it after he goes to Firelink shrine. The wiki says he goes either when you enter Blighttown or after you beat the Blighttown boss. If it's the latter then that doesn't really help me since the main reason why I wanted it was to take the shortcut into Blighttown in the first place. :|

Otheradam

Antiquated Skirt noooo. Maybe now my character won't look so ridiculous with heavy armor on top and a cloth dress on.

cj_iwakura

I don't think the Sunlight reqs were that bad at all. Even if you don't do much multi, you should be there in no time.

And I did lots. Make them earn that shine!

Cels

Cool. Good to see that they are listening to some complaints and addressing them.

I noticed that there's nothing in there about game performance/framerate, which everyone knows is piss-poor in some areas of the game (ahem Blight Town). One thing at a time, I suppose (or should I just deal with it and expect that there NEVER will be a patch that addresses this?)

stupei

Wow. A lot of these could be game changers all on their own. Pretty exciting.

I'm out of town right now with only access to a 360 so I haven't played my copy in weeks. Not only will I get to come back to a lot of improvements but by that point I'm sure a lot of the math will have been completely worked out for all changes.

Zeliard

Antiquated Skirt needed a nerf, that thing was silly.

Crystal Ring Shield also needs a nerf. It's laughably overpowered.

Im_Special

Man, I don't have an issue with this patch... if only this was on day one. But this whole thing pisses me off, first my Future Press guide is now worthless, second is the shit ton of time I invested into my character, he is now useless, all the farming to upgrade gear that is now crap, and stat builds which now needs a total do-over.

Hey From Software how about you patch in a respec option now.

Kyoufu

Zeliard said:
Antiquated Squirt needed a nerf, that thing was silly.

Crystal Ring Shield also needs a nerf. It's laughably overpowered.

Not really. It needs a strong weapon in the right hand and the casting animation is long enough for you to be evaded or knocked down easily.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Pumpkins said:
Oh snap. That could potentially clear up a few story bits, couldn't it?

Possibly. There's inconsistency in terms of what the name of the group of knights Hawkeye Gough led, for one thing, and there's some inconsistency in their verbiage in a few things in reference to
the Dark Soul and the Dark in general
, off the top of my head. One is minor, one is actually kind of major.

Don't know if they'll be altered or if they're just fixing obvious stuff like the Tiny Being's Ring. Not sure if I'd be happy or sad if they changed them.

cj_iwakura said:
I think the item descriptions tell plenty story as it is. Should be crazy if they add even MORE, but I doubt it.

I doubt they will too, but my pride demands I check.

duckroll said:
Doesn't it require the same switch/toggle exploit as all the other infinite magic/item exploits? I'm pretty sure if they fixed that exploit at the root (the actual input bug), all the related exploits will no longer work right?

Yeah, there's fundamentally an animation-cancelling glitch at the heart of the item duplication/infinite spellcasting glitch. If they just fix that then vast swathes of exploits cease to exist in one fell swoop. The Stone Greatsword Aura of Instant Death is just a permutation of the infinite spell glitch.

Aeana

Im_Special said:
Man, I don't have an issue with this patch... if only this was on day one. But this whole thing pisses me off, first my Future Press guide is now worthless, second is the shit ton of time I invested into my character, he is now useless, all the farming to upgrade gear that is now crap, and stat builds which now needs a total do-over.

Well, you could finish the game offline before you patch if you just want to beat the game.

cj_iwakura

a Master Ninja said:
I wish more games would do this.

Dark Souls is a somewhat special case, since the game was released in English(voiceover, anyway). I think From do translations in-house.

Zeliard

Kyoufu said:
Not really. It needs a strong weapon in the right hand and the casting animation is long enough for you to be evaded or knocked down easily.

I'm not talking about it as a PvP weapon. In PvE you can easily time everything.

tokkun

If they are nerfing pyromancy but not sorcery, then the damage output of melee weapons better get a lot stronger.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Don't think I'll be patching until I hear how bad they nerfed pyro and how much they increased the drops (titanite slab where are you!) Having the master key so late is a pretty useless change as far as I can tell...maybe I'm missing something there? Having every vendor carry arrows makes archers actually somewhat viable now.

Everything else sounds okay, but I'm like, adjusted now ya know?

Giard

Nooooo! I just used up all my Twinkling Titanite on the Antiquated Dress like...2 hours ago.
DAMMIT.

cj_iwakura

tokkun said:
If they are nerfing pyromancy but not sorcery, then the damage output of melee weapons better get a lot stronger.

Pyro is crazy broken. Does way more damage with less cost, and less charge. The only advance to sorcery is safer distance.

Zeliard

They added the Master Key that late to still make it meaningful as a gift choice but still give people the option to snag it for NG+ games.

goodfella

Im_Special said:

At least this game has a ton of replay value. It's not the worst thing in the world to have to play it again with a new character.

But yeah, I feel your pain.

Baha

If this patch really fixed dex/str scaling then I'll be making a new character in celebration. Also glad they went back to fix translation errors, I hope the fix the loading screen ones too. As cool as it would be, the Homeward miracle is not an offensive spell used by clerics when they're in a pinch :) .

saunderez

Until the Blighttown framerate is fixed I'm out. Last time I fought my way down there I fell 2m and died with a full bar of health. The game has long passed the level of frustration that stops me from having fun.

duckroll

cj_iwakura said:
Pyro is crazy broken. Does way more damage with less cost, and less charge. The only advance to sorcery is safer distance.

Sounds like lies and propaganda being spread by one jealous of the great flame! We will not give in! If they nerf pyros too much, I'll Occupy From. :(

Dresden

WanderingWind said:
Don't think I'll be patching until I hear how bad they nerfed pyro and how much they increased the drops (titanite slab where are you!) Having the master key so late is a pretty useless change as far as I can tell...maybe I'm missing something there? Having every vendor carry arrows makes archers actually somewhat viable now.

Everything else sounds okay, but I'm like, adjusted now ya know?
The master key change is for people getting ready to take on ng+ and beyond, I think.

And people bitching about pyros have never seen a 50int sorceror smashing everything into the ground in ng+++ with crystals and enchanted weapons flying everywhere. Pyro don't scale.

tokkun

cj_iwakura said:

More damage? Not from what I've seen.

Any time I'm co-oping with a sorcerer they do significantly more damage than a fully upgraded pyro glove + bellowing dragoncrest.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
tokkun said:

I think Pyromancy would be fine if it wasn't boosted by the Sorcery-boosting stuff like Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

Maxed-out Pyromancy Flame and one or both of those are at the heart of a lot of low-level griefing.

cj_iwakura

duckroll said:
Sounds like lies and propaganda being spread by one jealous of the great flame! We will not give in! If they nerf pyros too much, I'll Occupy From. :(

Hey, I'm a Servant of Chaos. I know all about that.

(I also started as Sorcerer, making me something of a traitor.)

cj_iwakura

tokkun said:
More damage? Not from what I've seen.

Any time I'm co-oping with a sorcerer they do significantly more damage than a fully upgraded pyro glove + bellowing dragoncrest.

I have a +12 that does more damage with Chaos Fireball than Soul Spear with Izalith Catalyst.

tokkun

ixix said:
I think Pyromancy would be fine if it wasn't boosted by the Sorcery-boosting stuff like Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

Maxed-out Pyromancy Flame and one or both of those are at the heart of a lot of low-level griefing.

I will grant you that something should be done to prevent full damage use by level 1 characters, but the pyro glove is pretty essential for most melee characters in PvE considering how weak the best weapons are in comparison.

Aeana

cj_iwakura said:
I have a +12 that does more damage with Chaos Fireball than Soul Spear with Izalith Catalyst.
How about crystal soul spear? (And crystal soulmass, the real star of sorcery)

WanderingWind

Dresden said:
The master key change is for people getting ready to take on ng+ and beyond, I think.

And people bitching about pyros have never seen a 50int sorceror smashing everything into the ground in ng+++ with crystals and enchanted weapons flying everywhere. Pyro don't scale.

I'm still annoyed I picked up the stupid ring that doesn't work as described. And no new pick on NG+.

Dresden

cj_iwakura said:
That's just soul spear, though.

50 int + Crystal Homing Soulmass + Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest + Tin Crystallization Catalyst = 2k+ damage. And you get ten charges every ng.

duckroll

ixix said:

Yeah I think people don't realize that the difference between a Pyro and a Sorc is that a Sorc MUST level up to do more damage with spells, while a Pyro does not. This means that given a certain amount of grinding, a Pyro can remain at lvl10 or so but end up dealing damage which totally out-classes characters in that level range.

tokkun

Dresden said:
That's just soul spear, though.

50 int + Crystal Homing Soulmass + Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest + Tin Crystallization Catalyst = 2k+ damage. And you get ten charges every ng.

Exactly. Great Combustion is only around 500-800 max.

WanderingWind

cj_iwakura said:

Not more than crystal soulmass, or crystal spear and both of those can be used from a much farther distance.

Top Bottom