• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben & Jerry's drops fortune cookies from 'Lin-Sanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loofy

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. You can argue technicalities all you want but the fact is that even if they weren't intending to be racist, the headline reads as if they were intending to use a slur as a pun. For that reason alone they should not have ran it. It doesn't matter if there's a certain way to look at it that makes it non-racist.
I think they should do away with the phrase entirely.
Youre telling me if an asian was reading the paper and read the headline 'Chink in the armor." He would first have to read the article to see if theyre referring to an asian, and then he can decide whether hes offended or not.
:/
"Oh ok they were only referring to Tiger Woods so thats ok - wait hes half asian! now Im back to being angry"

cdyhybrid

Youre telling me if an asian was reading the paper and read the headline 'Chink in the armor." He would first have to read the article to see if theyre referring to an asian, and then he can decide whether hes offended or not.
"Oh ok they were only referring to Tiger Woods so thats ok - wait hes half asian! now Im back to being angry"
Ultimately I don't give a shit because it's just a headline on the internet, and I see and read much worse on the internet everyday. If someone came up to me and called me a chink to my face it'd be a little different. It's just silly to defend the headline because even if there was zero racist intent, it was just stupid to run it.

If Ben & Jerry's made an egg tart flavored ice cream, that'd be fucking awesome.

egg_tart.jpg

or better yet, bubble tea flavor ice cream.

bubble_tea_lisa.jpg

I loathe bubble tea. Those tapioca balls are the devils treat.

The ESPN Chink in the Armor headline was placed right underneath a giant isolated shot of Lin dribbling the basketball in-game.

That's all the context I needed to realize that shit was inappropriate.

Korey

There's a concept humans have come up with over the years called context. You should look it up. The world isn't black and white.

I just wanted to stop by and clarify that I did in fact know that "wetback" was a racial epithet, my interest in it was entirely etymological.

And according to you guys context doesnt include intent. Great logic there.

It's a factor, sure, but if you accidentally hit someone with your car it still sucks to be them. The fact that you didn't intend to hurt them might change how the authorities deal with you, but it doesn't take back the hurt.

Korey

And according to you guys context doesnt include intent. Great logic there.

It doesn't matter what the intent is.

An editor's job (his only job, as a professional) is to choose the exact and precise wording for everything he covers. Things like if a word fits here, if it's the best word to get a point across, if a sentence is concise enough, how the target demographic will receive the idea of whatever is being printed.

For someone who's job is to choose words, using the word "chink" in such a context was basically utterly failing at his chosen occupation, which is why he was fired for it.

J.A. Adande on Linsanity and Asian American portrayal in media.

Lin didn't come with a manual. He burst on the scene and sent everyone scrambling for the right words to reflect what was happening. For some people, that meant the easiest way to describe him was to revert to base Asian stereotypes. They went to places unimaginable if the subject had been African-American (as "Saturday Night Live" captured in this satirical sketch), because they felt they had the liberty to do so -- or simply didn't know any better.

The boundaries hadn't been explored to this extent before, not even with Yao Ming. Yao was from China and, when he first arrived in Houston, his English wasn't strong enough to conduct interviews with many in the media. He was a foreigner. Lin is American-born, and he talks that way. But his looks still make him stand out on the court. Which differences do we emphasize and which do we ignore? How do we define him? What references do we use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom