• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

mr_toa

Just caved and bought the rockstar games an sale (last day) - looking forward to hitting the older GTA's for the first time. Now, where did I leave my OTG cable and the 360 controller? ;-)

Aruki

Neo Member
Hey gaffers, just thought to share our new release, Cheese Please, for free in all Android devices .

Its a turn based puzzle game where you play "Lola", an adorable and crafty mouse. Her mission in life, as for most mice in the world, is to eat as much cheese as she can possibly get her hands on.

LOK1deZc50clZkGWYCwcuRoqSxLtp7tThUIk8cJ0ioNEL2sheopMHRzUVYVBw6vG9G0=h310-rw

NK_UVK1vIFbkQoZt1oJc5N85Q3t5bN-dn_P6sI8mWSIl81aIyxP2Tgi2dkoz2qVFXLai=h310-rw

8d3yPyPOWrSApB-AKvM9DQrr0TRFYvXWzdB4QNq5d59MSnEAx1XFbPIfPnFUUGjTgw=h310-rw

nrC3OlI0UQ1v7Ab_PSuGpWZCLCNsQ56FMne_v0RxQvpBgp-hOepbyZrXQ_kqe4xbXA=h310-rw

If you feel like its your kind of game feel free and download it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.noobware.cheeseplease

Feedback is more than welcomed as we expect to improve the game.

RustyRobot

Neo Member
Does anybody know the game ''Tilt to live''? I played it on iOS and loved the hell out of it.
Is there anything similar to it on Android with the same level of polishment?

This may be well-known, but you can play games from GoodOldGames.com on Android (running Android 4.1.2 on my HP Touchpad) through DosBox. I found this guide and followed it almost 100%. I have so far only tested Master of Orion 2, but it works rather well; a bit sluggish at times and the sound skips a bit, but I think adjusting some settings in DosBox Manager will resolve/improve these issues.

Anyone else played much using DosBox on Android?

Fasty

Surprised no-one's mentioned Frozen Synapse yet!

Awesome turn-based strategy, cross-platform play over Android, iOS, PC and Mac with killer soundtrack. Has been in a couple of Humble Bundles. Wouldn't recommend it on anything less than a 7" device though.

I bought Riptide GP 2. The framerate is upsetting. N4 should be able to handle it with max everything, but the constant switching from 30-60 ingame is annoying.

garath

Surprised no-one's mentioned Frozen Synapse yet!

Awesome turn-based strategy, cross-platform play over Android, iOS, PC and Mac with killer soundtrack. Has been in a couple of Humble Bundles. Wouldn't recommend it on anything less than a 7" device though.

Must not be compatible on my device. :(

I need an android tablet.

Groof

Gotta say this again, if you haven't bought Cook, Serve, Delicious yet go do it now. So good.

But it sucks when I'm trying to cook up a quick lasagna and my N7 lags up and I miss an ingredient :(

RM8

Have you guys tried killing all tasks with Task Manager before playing? I haven't played those games you mentioned, but the lagging was unbearable on my phone while playing the new Prince of Persia until I started doing that. I was regretting buying the game since it was running like crap on my phone, lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
But it sucks when I'm trying to cook up a quick lasagna and my N7 lags up and I miss an ingredient :(
I think this might be why I avoided it. Most Game Maker games end up running real bad on my devices, Stealth Bastard being the most recent one.

Groof

I think this might be why I avoided it. Most Game Maker games end up running real bad on my devices, Stealth Bastard being the most recent one.

It's not something that occurs frequently though. What device have you got?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's not something that occurs frequently though. What device have you got?
Nexus 4, Touchpad, Kindle Fire and a Nexus S, HTC Glacier.

The Glacier and Touchpad I understand, because they're hacked and development is ongoing.

Hey gaffers, just thought to share our new release, Cheese Please, for free in all Android devices .

Its a turn based puzzle game where you play "Lola", an adorable and crafty mouse. Her mission in life, as for most mice in the world, is to eat as much cheese as she can possibly get her hands on.

LOK1deZc50clZkGWYCwcuRoqSxLtp7tThUIk8cJ0ioNEL2sheopMHRzUVYVBw6vG9G0=h310-rw

Feedback is more than welcomed as we expect to improve the game.

Nexus 4, Android 4.2.2. Finished level one and got a "failed to show screen activity" error. Had to force close it. Does it every time.

Awesome art though.

linsivvi

Looks interesting - quick question before I give it a spin: why do your game need permission to read my my phone status and identity? Just curios.

While I am not sure if that is the case for this game, most apps that require this permission need it to assign an unique id, and if it's ad supported, it's generally a requirement so the ad stats can be tallied.

But of course, as with many Android permissions, it does allow the app to do a lot more than that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Pixel Defenders Puzzle just added Google Play Games support this evening: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.socialtitans.pdp

rymdkapsel is out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grapefrukt.games.rymdkapsel1

seems like it's a fun game, will try it out
cross between rts base building and tetris with some tower defense aspects i think

Very good. I will update tomorrow when I have a chance.

Rymdkapsel looks neat. It has a certain charm to it. Anyone played it before?

CmdBash

wow cytus is so damn fun, only two bucks to take away the cooldown and it's probably one of the first few music games I've enjoyed on any platform.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Funny how this thread was created right at the time when I am *JUST* now discovering the wonderful world of smartphone and android gaming. I have an HTC EVO 3D phone and I'm sure a lot of these games can run on it, but unfortunately I can't pair any physical gamepads with it unless it's rooted and even a rooted HTC EVO doesn't guarantee compatibility.

Oh well....I'm saving up for an Nvidia Shield. The ultimate Android device in my opinion.

By the way, upon browsing the Google Play store, how do we know whether or not the game supports gamepads? Most of them I've browsed doesn't indicate either way.

I would like to give my approval to Royal Revolt! The OP suggested it and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's fairly simple, but at times can be challenging especially in regards to completing levels quickly enough to obtain a 3-star rating. It seems like a game where you really do not have to spend any money to progress, which is great.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
By the way, upon browsing the Google Play store, how do we know whether or not the game supports gamepads? Most of them I've browsed doesn't indicate either way.
If it isn't indicated, chances are it doesn't. Which is why I think the Shield isn't all that attractive.

Mission

Are there any Android games effectively the same as Rampart or Hostile Tides on iOS?

I used to love Rampart and I've bought Hostile Tides for my iPod but its really too small. I want an android game (not just an emulator) for my 8" Android.

Fjord

Hero Forge full (and free) version released yesterday! I know most of you in this thread already know its glory from the multiplayer beta. They've now added solid PvE progression with this full release
Those of you who haven't tried it, you're missing out on what I consider the best android game out there. It is however a game for tablets, not phones, unless your fingers are much closer to chopsticks than sausages.

It's also a good local co-op game! My girlfriend uses her Bejeweled skills to crank out crazy apm leaving me to focus on theory and using skills.

Skill, progression and multiplayer. Are there any other games which have all three?

edit: I feel like a shill for this game, especially since I'm living in New Zealand.

I've been playing Cook, Serve, Delicious for a couple hours a day since Tuesday.

I've got to say I'm a lot better at the mobile version and I really enjoy the touch interface. Thanks again, chubigans.

I think Riptide Gp 2 is a bit broken. I maxed out to level 20, but there's no other way to get skill points. So that means I can't unlock them all. Bummer.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Verge has a little write up on Rymdkapsel.

Rymdkapsel looks simple and plays slow, but it’s one of the best strategy games I’ve played in a long time. The game is all about expansion. Your team of tiny white squares starts out on a small platform floating in space, and the goal is to expand that platform as far as possible. You’ll need to produce resources like food and minerals, add new members to your crew, examine mysterious artifacts to gain new abilities, and build defenses to protect against regularly scheduled alien attacks. There’s also a puzzle element — new additions to your budding space colony come in the shape of Tetris pieces, so it’s a challenge to come up with the ideal set-up for all of the different rooms. But most of the strategy comes from your ability to balance exploration with defense, while keeping an ever-vigilant eye on your resources.

Rymdkapsel was released earlier this year, but only on PlayStation Mobile, meaning you had to have a Vita or “PlayStation certified” Android device to play. Thankfully, it’s finally available to a much wider audience; today Rymdkapsel launches on both iOS and Android. It’s the same game, but it feels particularly great on a tablet like an iPad or Nexus 7, where the bigger screen makes it easier to manage your ever-growing empire. No matter what device you’re using, Rymdkapsel is worth playing to see just how long you can survive in the vast darkness of space.

Grab it for $3.99 on iOS or Android

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I bought this yesterday and it is indeed awesome. Good work chubigans! :)

I've been playing Cook, Serve, Delicious for a couple hours a day since Tuesday.

I've got to say I'm a lot better at the mobile version and I really enjoy the touch interface. Thanks again, chubigans.

Cook, Serve, Delicious is incredible! So addictive. Runs perfectly on my Nexus 10.

Aw thanks y'all, glad you're enjoying the game!

Also Rymdkapsel is quite awesome on Vita, I recommend it to strategy fans. I'll type out more later today.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up GP Riptide 2 on the new Nexus 7 I got last week. Holy smokes, that's the best looking tablet game I've ever seen, and it runs like a banshee at 1920x1200 on the new N7. As someone who put in dozens of hours into Hydro Thunder on XBLA, this game is very reminiscent of that and a ton of fun.

Installed it on my 1st gen N7 just to compare, and it's much smoother on the new model, even at the higher resolution. Plays really well on both tho.

Picked up GP Riptide 2 on the new Nexus 7 I got last week. Holy smokes, that's the best looking tablet game I've ever seen, and it runs like a banshee at 1920x1200 on the new N7. As someone who put in dozens of hours into Hydro Thunder on XBLA, this game is very reminiscent of that and a ton of fun.

Installed it on my 1st gen N7 just to compare, and it's much smoother on the new model, even at the higher resolution. Plays really well on both tho.

Yeah, the game is a blast and is just plain gorgeous running maxed on my S4.

I'm about to hop on the Cook, Serve, Delicious train now.

ss_lemonade

Yeah, the game is a blast and is just plain gorgeous running maxed on my S4.

I'm about to hop on the Cook, Serve, Delicious train now.
Can you max out all settings, or is this another one of those magical tegra optimized games (the first one was but you could force enable the tegra effects on stuff like a pre jb s3 and still have it running better than a on a tegra 3 phone)

Top Bottom