• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for new Sorkin-penned HBO show THE NEWSROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll watch it if the reviews are good, but the idea for the beginning is lifted directly from Studio 60.

Which was directly lifted from Network.

Which was one of the best films of the 20th century. :)

Every one of Sorkin's shows starts with some version of this, even if seen from another angle. And yeah it's really all about Network. On Studio 60 they talk about it a lot in the fictional news in the first episode.

How many times is Sorkin gonna start a series with a media-changing monologue?
Well, Sports Night doesn't, but the character is sort of on the way to giving it and then gets talked down. But yeah, all of them even the West Wing (though it happens before the start of the episode) start with this plot device.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So this is the first I'm hearing of the show, Veep. Apparently it stars the chick from Seinfeld. Seriously?

Who is Olivia Munn and why does everyone hate her?

She's a dumb broad that served as one of the token "hot" chicks on G4's Attack of the Show. Very overrated in terms of both looks and acting ability.

Peru

Veep has the best comedy writers in the world behind it. Dreyfus is a great comedic actress so I don't know why people are worried about her.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Veep has the best comedy writers in the world behind it. Dreyfus is a great comedic actress so I don't know why people are worried about her.

And what have these so-called best comedy writers done prior?

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed every Sorkin pilot has a character saying something incendiary on TV and about to get fired because of it.

Will watch for Jack McCoy.

mclem

I've been thinking that Sorkin writing a drama with this setting has been inevitable, really. His stuff lends itself to ensemble pieces with people constantly affected by outside influences; that and, of course, this is a very natural follow-on from Sports Night.

Wonder what part Bradley Whitford will play this time.

Edit: Yeah, about Veep? Bow down to the wonder that is Armando Iannucci, for he is a behemoth of the airwaves.

Peep Show, The Day Today, and The Thick of It (which In the Loop was based on). Three absolutely classic comedies, which means that Veep will be especially disappointing if it's not good (add an excellent cast in the mix as well and things will surely not go wrong!)

Badboy

Banned
It's odd that HBO never picked up The Thick Of It and instead Armando attempted to make an american version for HBO. After that didn't get picked up he went to HBO with Veep.

But I still think The Thick Of It would have been perfect for HBO. Although it's set in British politics and is incredibly british, it still makes perfect sense to overseas viewers. In the same way that The West Wing is incredibly american and about american politics but pretty much anyone with half a brain in the UK knows every speech back to front.

Dachande

^^^ I don't know... I think The Thick Of It may be a bit too British for some Americans... they might even need subtitles for Malcolm. In the end though, Veep is basically a new show, so I'm happy we've got that.

And what have these so-called best comedy writers done prior?

Uhh, let's just take a look at the some of the top-notch comedy the writers Veep have been involved with in the past, shall we?

The Thick Of It (of which Veep is kind-of a US adaptation)
In The Loop (which is essentially The Thick Of It: The Movie)
Peep Show
Four Lions
The Day Today
Brass Eye
I'm Alan Partridge
Time Trumpet

(EDIT: Actually, looking it up again, Iannucci wasn't involved with Brass Eye, so that shouldn't be on the list)

If you're American, I can understand you not knowing of these shows and couple of movies since they're all from the UK, but they're all critically acclaimed and considered to be some of the best comedy ever made. I haven't mentioned that there's at least one director from Community involved too, and probably others of interest that just aren't known about yet since the show hasn't begun and IMDB hasn't got all the details until it has.

The Thick Of It is one of my favourite shows ever, and I'm ridiculously excited for Veep since it's no longer simply a remake and more of just a US-slanted take on the same concepts and now essentially its own thing.

Badboy

Banned
I thought Four Lions and Brass Eye were largely Chris Morris's baby?

Veep and The Newsroom are going to kill it this summer. Awesome. It's the first time I've been interested in a new pilot since Treme.

[Homeland was an amazing show with a great pilot, but on paper, it sounded like a pretty typical terrorism-procedural show. I wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't for all the great buzz halfway through the season, the Ricky Gervais mention during the Golden Globes etc]

Dachande

I thought Four Lions and Brass Eye were largely Chris Morris's baby?

Sam Bain and Simon Blackwell co-wrote Four Lions with Chris Morris (and Jesse Armstrong). Also, Chris Morris is directing at least one episode of Veep (!!). So yeah, I counted it. The same people all have involvement, y'know?

mclem

Uhh, let's just take a look at the some of the top-notch comedy the writers Veep have been involved with in the past, shall we?

The Thick Of It (of which Veep is kind-of a US adaptation)
In The Loop (which is essentially The Thick Of It: The Movie)
Peep Show
Four Lions
The Day Today
Brass Eye
I'm Alan Partridge
Time Trumpet

Needs more love for the Armistice. The Election Night Armistice was *ridiculously* ambitious... wasn't it, Mr. Tony Blair?

(At this point I would insert a picture of Mr. Tony Blair, but Google is failing me.)

Edit: Mustn't forget radio! On The Hour and Charm Offensive!

Badboy

Banned
By the way, is Fresh Meat any good? I've had it on my computer for ages now and haven't got around to watching it. Seems like there's been zero online buzz about it. You didn't even mention it on your list even though it's from the same team I think.

Dachande

I only watched the pilot. It was alright, I guess, but seemed kind of 'standard', and some of the acting was a bit dodgy. It's definitely not in the same league as everything else the Armstrong/Bain combo has produced, IMO.

By the way, is Fresh Meat any good? I've had it on my computer for ages now and haven't got around to watching it. Seems like there's been zero online buzz about it. You didn't even mention it on your list even though it's from the same team I think.

I loved it, but I'm a first-year uni student, so YMMV. Kinda limp premiere, bare in mind.

Dabanton

Needs more love for the Armistice. The Election Night Armistice was *ridiculously* ambitious... wasn't it, Mr. Tony Blair?

(At this point I would insert a picture of Mr. Tony Blair, but Google is failing me.)

Edit: Mustn't forget radio! On The Hour and Charm Offensive!

The main friday and saturday night armistice was one of the best ever UK political comedy shows.

Absolutely amazing the amount of jokes they came up with week after week

It's very subtle but quite funny as it goes along. Great character observations

Dabanton

It's odd that HBO never picked up The Thick Of It and instead Armando attempted to make an american version for HBO. After that didn't get picked up he went to HBO with Veep.

But I still think The Thick Of It would have been perfect for HBO. Although it's set in British politics and is incredibly british, it still makes perfect sense to overseas viewers. In the same way that The West Wing is incredibly american and about american politics but pretty much anyone with half a brain in the UK knows every speech back to front.

They attempted a pilot for 'The Thick Of It' for NBC i think it was and it was absolutely terrible. Armando did a talk at the BFI a few years back and showed a trailer reel for it.

His involvement was minimal as the show was rewritten by other writers and the results showed. It was hilariously bad all the swearing gone, Oliver Platt played Malcolm Tucker and was as scary as a cuddly bear.

Veep is a different beast and more interesting as it gives Armando a chance to poke at US politics.

Cannot wait.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Great cast, and Sorkin is a great writer, but that trailer was really poorly cut. Very much screamed the kind of lowest common denominator network TV style attention grabber moments. Hope the show doesn't turn out that way.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I will watch it.

Seeing as how I am a West Wing fiend.

Patryn

Finally the show Sorkin should have written instead of Studio 60. Because it's clear that he cares about politics and the news, and can't write a sketch comedy show to save his life.

This is definitely his wheelhouse.

Finally the show Sorkin should have written instead of Studio 60. Because it's clear that he cares about politics and the news, and can't write a sketch comedy show to save his life.

Especially considering how quickly he shoehorned the politics into Studio 60. God what a dreadful show that was.

Gruco

Banned

This about sums it up perfectly. Really playing to his strengths. Hopefully not too much so that it becomes tedious and repetitive.

Best case scenario - Sports Night and West Wing, combined. But better. Because HBO.

Worst case scenario - We've already seen every single episode, from the overall plot devices right down the the character quirks.

I have high hopes, but I really hope there is someone there to help keep Sorkin's insanity in check. Because it's really obvious that as good as he is, the man does need to be reeled in back to earth on occasion.

This about sums it up perfectly. Really playing to his strengths. Hopefully not too much so that it becomes tedious and repetitive.

Best case scenario - Sports Night and West Wing, combined. But better. Because HBO.

Worst case scenario - We've already seen every single episode, from the overall plot devices right down the the character quirks.

I have high hopes, but I really hope there is someone there to help keep Sorkin's insanity in check. Because it's really obvious that as good as he is, the man does need to be reeled in back to earth on occasion.

Is that why he left West Wing? Because if it's not, then he doesn't ever need to be reeled in, because WW 1-4 is perfection incarnate.

moojito

Damn, mentioning great british comedies in a thread about a newsroom program and not including drop the dead donkey? For shaaaaaaaaaame, gaf!

FStop7

Banned
They just need to get it over with a do a new West Wing show. I mean, why not? Start over. New administration. New cast. New everything, save the premise. I'd watch the hell out of it. The world has changed a lot since the show ended, let alone since it began. There's a lot of potential.

I think Sorkin left WW because of his drug problems, yes? Hopefully he's staying sober now. He should take another shot at TWW.

They just need to get it over with a do a new West Wing show. I mean, why not? Start over. New administration. New cast. New everything, save the premise. I'd watch the hell out of it. The world has changed a lot since the show ended, let alone since it began. There's a lot of potential.

First they need Sorkin to rewrite 5-7.

Dachande

Damn, mentioning great british comedies in a thread about a newsroom program and not including drop the dead donkey? For shaaaaaaaaaame, gaf!

We were mentioning those specific ones because people were asking what great British comedies the people who made Veep were involved in. Drop The Dead Donkey isn't one of them.

Sorkin said he left because WB was hampering the show with budget cuts despite it being hugely profitable. But WB said he was having problems turning scripts in on time, and the show was going over-budget because of it. Don't know who's right.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sorkin and HBO? Sold!

He writes some snappy dialogue, usually puts a smile on my face.

"The Newsroom"?

Seriously?

ozRoV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom