• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can The 3DS and Switch Coexist Together?

ryushe

Man, the Nintendo 3DS, huh? What an amazing system. Sure, it had a pretty rocky start with it being overpriced, not having the eShop at launch and not getting its first must own game months later (and it was a remaster at that...), needless to say, it was a dire time to be a 3DS owner. Now it's the home of some of the best games available - handheld or not.

Now here comes the Nintendo Switch. Both touted as "the strongest handheld available" as well as a console you can take with you anywhere. On paper, it's already more appealing than the ill-fated Wii U (Mind you, I love the Wii U) and seems as if it could truly succeed where the Wii U failed.

First, let me get this out of the way: The 3DS is my favorite system of all time. Eclipsing previous favorites such as the SNES, PS2 and 360. From huge, incredible games such as Kid Icarus Uprising (happy 5th anniversary, buddy), Super Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem Awakening to lesser titles like Sakura Samurai, Adventure Time: HIKWYTOG, the myriad of eShop exclusives and being backward compatible with the DS, the 3DS is rife with games for pretty much any and everybody. With that said, after using the Switch everyday since launch, I don't really want to play my 3DS anymore.

I know, I know. What a silly thing to say. The 3DS is still my favorite thing since slice bread and still has numerous games I haven't even opened yet, let alone play, but the more I use my Switch on the day-to-day, the less I want to go back to my 3DS.

With the 3DS still having games releasing this year like Fire Emblem Echos (a game I know I'm going to put at least 100 hours into), Ever Oasis and Lady Layton, as well as games recently announced such as Radiant Historia Perfect, Deep Strange Journey and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, it seems as if the 3DS still has plenty of life ahead in it. So do you all think both can coexist together or will/can only one survive?

Platy

Yes they can, no they should not

Coexisting makes the switch a much less powerfull platform. Like literally.
With the 3ds the switch becomes a home console.
It needs to be the 3ds sucessor to be powerfull handheld console hybrid.

Also the 3ds is dying ... but it is normal for a non killed videogame (unlike the wiiu) to have a few games in their sucessor first and second years.

LewieP

They're keeping the 3DS on life support, which makes sense. The cheap/kids market sector is currently far better served by the 3DS than the Switch, and there's a sizable install base of which only a small portion will be Switch early adopters.

In a year or two, especially if they can make a cheaper Switch Mini, there won't be much reason to keep the 3DS alive, but for now it's a sensible strategy. Especially for Japan.

Shizuka

Companies will need to see that the Switch won't be another failure like the Wii U before committing to it like they are with the 3DS or other platforms.

Menitta

They can but I don't want them to.

The Switch can serve the purpose as a handheld (whether it can do so well is another topic) so I'd rather the 3DS go away.

Noctilum

Yes, the 3DS is more accessible as it has a much cheaper price for hardware and games. The library of titles is insane. If the Switch gets to $200 and a bigger library of games I think that the 3DS would have trouble as developers start to move on from it.

Fox318

Nintendo needs to focus on one system right now.

I don't see how the company can split resources and I don't see 3rd parties even making 3ds games anymore.

SFenton

Yes but not for long

This, and also

No they shouldn't develop anymore new games for the 3DS.

This.

Whatever's in production for 3DS, keep developing, send that system into the twilight while you suss out if the Switch is viable as a handheld replacement or not. If it turns out that it's not, relight 3DS development and prepare its successor. If it is, well, full steam ahead to the Switch.

Roldan

They do, but... they shouldn't. The only way you can say that to your customers is releasing the next Pokémon only on Switch.

Until then, they coexist.

RPGam3r

I don't want them too, the 3DS had its time but with the Switch in hand I'm ready to retire it.

Plus I want a one stop shop for Nintendo games, it was one of the main reasons a hybrid excited me.

Kinsei

Banned
No. Continuing to support the 3DS (and I mean real support, not the life support it's on now) would kill the Switch. The Switch has no place in the market if Nintendo doesn't consider it their primary handheld.

Neoxon

For the short-term, yeah, but not for long. The 3DS could live on as a cheap way into the Nintendo ecosystem for this year, but it'll eventually have to bow out in favor of the Switch, especially if Nintendo can get a budget version of the system (like a Switch Mini) out in the next year or two.

Though most of the 3DS's games this year are either budget projects, games based on existing engines, or late localizations, so it seems more like Nintendo keeping the 3DS on life support to cover their asses in case the Switch doesn't succeed in the long-term.

its better if the Switch succeeded the 3DS. this way, there wont be any segregation in the userbase. For the most part, people only buy a handheld over a home console, and developers usually only develop for one over the other.

Since the switch is both a home console and a handheld, people may choose which form to play it in.

If 3ds owners adopt a switch, there will no longer be any segregation in the userbase, and developers can reach a wider audience.

This way, 3rd party developers get more sales without needing to do portjobs from handheld to console, vice versa.

VDenter

Banned
No the 3DS had a good six year run its time to let it go. This is also the only way for the Switch it to reach its full potential.

Sure, but if Nintendo tries to support both, the Switch will die young.

But the 3DS can live for a while after Nintendo stops making games for it.

bomblord1

Banned
I REALLY hope not. I need all that beautiful (especially Japanese) 3DS support on my Switch.

That and the Vita support as well.

Spman2099

No.

It will have a little time to live as the Switch builds its library of games. It will probably a see a little more life as people start to abandon theirs and parents on a budget pick them up for their children. But it's time is rapidly running out.

Hero

For the remainder of 2017, yes.

If Switch momentum keeps up I expect Nintendo's support of the system to dry up in 2018.

Can the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 4 co-exist?

KsEaLuk.jpg
ZUgxA5c.jpg

They can and are, but the games currently announced from Nintendo aren't looknig to great for the 3DS. Fire Emblem is 1, but the next is going to be a Switch title, and my bet is a lot of Nintendo's handheld franchises will see Switch games. Devs will continue to make 3DS games after the fact, but Nintendo's support is already visibly dwindling.

ZOONAMI

I'd be alright with them bringing a bunch of 3DS ports to switch as long as it isn't a major distraction. If they have a studio who usually just does ports of older games or something. I dunno.

I think they will coexist until the switch hits a $199 price point. At that point they will likely discontinue 3DS.

mozfan12

Banned
Honestly these should be the last 6-8 months they support the 3ds and by holiday season and on, I hope the focus is on Switch. I feel they are still testing the waters like they did when the original DS came out to see if it would be successful and take place of the game boy line of systems. It's a bummer, but I just don't feel an urge to purchase games for the 3DS any longer especially with the vastly improved screen of the Switch.

Sure, but if Nintendo tries to support both, the Switch will die young.

But the 3DS can live for a while after Nintendo stops making games for it.
I think it's clear that ultra conservative Nintendo is totally going to do this unfortunately.they should be declaring unified development and talking about all in one, but they aren't, and continue to seem to have long term 3ds plans.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly these should be the last 6-8 months they support the 3ds and by holiday season and on, I hope the focus is on Switch. I feel they are still testing the waters like they did when the original DS came out to see if it would be successful and take place of the game boy line of systems. It's a bummer, but I just don't feel an urge to purchase games for the 3DS any longer especially with the vastly improved screen of the Switch.

I feel the same Pokemon Moon was the last 3DS game i bought felt like a good swan song game.

The Giant

Banned
Yes they can. People here keep forgetting that Nintendo still supported the GBA for 2 years after the DS came out. Same with DS when the 3DS came out.

So of course will support the 3DS until the end out 2018. There's still alot of money to make on 3DS.

Astral Dog

Unless the Switch's current momentum stops dead in its tracks, I don't see the 3DS lasting for too much longer.
Coexisting together the first couple of years is not the same as the Switch replacing it inmediatly.

You should had thought about this before buying your 3DS ;)

Ascenion

At the moment a Switch is $100 more than a 3DS...that can't go on and not end up negatively affecting one of them if they tried to support both. Switch is a 3DS and Wii U successor. I don't care what Kimishima spouts about a separate 3DS successor as if the Switch isn't that. There are currently 3DS games in development and I think it'll be supported through 2018 and remain available for sale until 2020 but that's probably it. 2011-2018 is a hell of a life. The 3DS has to die for the Switch to fly. I know a lot of people that will drop cash for Pokémon Switch. Not so if it's also on 3DS.

jblank83

3DS is at the end of its lifecycle and anyone who can't see that must be blissfully unaware of the lifecycle of every single system ever released in the video game industry.

The two systems will coexist for the next year because 3DS has a large enough userbase to continue its sales, just like every successful system, from NES to PS2. After that it'll quickly wind down as Nintendo goes full-force with Switch game development.

I think it's clear that ultra conservative Nintendo is totally going to do this unfortunately.they should be declaring unified development and talking about all in one, but they aren't, and continue to seem to have long term 3ds plans.

It's still a great handheld with a wide variety of Virtual Console games to tap in to.

I could see it becoming super low cost like the 2DS, or even lower.

Polari

I didn't like the 3DS much - a DS with N64 level graphics and a dumb gimmick. There were some decent games, but it still paled in comparison to the DS's lineup.

Good riddance. Nintendo will be winding down support over the next year, regardless of what they're saying now. They're not going to come out and announce its finished when there's still units to sell and it occupies a price point in the market the Switch can't hit yet.

Eusis

Can the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 4 co-exist?
On really successful platforms annual sports games are the ones normally left to flip the lights off on the way out.

For less successful platforms, it's far more random, though often some sort of JRPG (Magic Knight Rayearth had that honor on Saturn for example.)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'd like to see real handhelds lives on, especially dual screen ones! So I'd like for 'em to co-exist. Sure the 3DS was dated even when it released and by todays standards its even more ancient but its the games themselves that count. So if devs could keep pumping out cool ones it'd be fine with me.

Though most of the 3DS's games this year are either budget projects, games based on existing engines, or late localizations, so it seems more like Nintendo keeping the 3DS on life support to cover their asses in case the Switch doesn't succeed in the long-term.
How does that work if the Switch fizzles out though? Do they suddenly double down in "real" 3DS game development?

Neoxon

I'd like to see real handhelds lives on, especially dual screen ones! So I'd like for 'em to co-exist. Sure the 3DS was dated even when it released and by todays standards its even more ancient but its the games themselves that count. So if devs could keep pumping out cool ones it'd be fine with me.

How does that work if the Switch fizzles out though? Do they suddenly double down in "real" 3DS game development?
If the Switch fizzles out, then they can ramp up their 3DS efforts going into 2018. Though as of now, Fire Emblem is jumping ship to the Switch after Echoes & Pokémon is rumored to be following suit, soooo......yeah.

Top Bottom