• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game. That was pretty alright.

-Best rendition of the combat system I've seen in Trails yet, though I haven't played CS2 or the Crossbell games. Prefer the buff system from CS1- you kind of have to guess when buffs or debuffs are going to run out in Sky- but otherwise this was infinitely preferable. You have a lot of tools, but still have to think about to deploy them. Super Gladiator Belts and things make CP a lot more plentiful than FC/SC, but just lacking enough you still want more. All-screen S-breaks are rare, as are large AOE crafts. And Artes balance was good- started out fairly weak but hit their stride again at the end at the same time the physical powerhouses came in to keep pace. Most of the characters (other than Josette) have some reason to take them, the game provided opportunities to give you a chance to play around with the large cast (unfortunately including Josette) and as broken as Richard seems to be he doesn't straight up invalidate other physical characters (Zane has True Distend and natural tankiness, Agate's Wild Charge II refuses to be put down, Anelace has her stupid sword and a good craft list, Josette invalidates herself, etc). Still feels like higher level spells aren't that worth it though.
-Boss design was also pretty good- Silver Path's gimmick, the multiphase boss fights keep you on the toes; there's a point in the middle of the game where the fights start blurring together bit as 'multiphase boss with some adds' is overused but then Cassius and Leonhardt the Edgelord came in to change things up a little. Nothing on Hard Mode as stupid as the SC Prologue Boss, either; the aforementioned fights plus nightmare colosseum are tough but you have much more ways to prefer and change your party up if necessary. The Doors with combat-related memory fragments also provided interesting challenges, especially the Ravens one.
-Story was nice; yeah, it's a followup to SC, but as a character study of Kevin and Ries it's remarkably self-contained. Never thought I'd be sad to see a bunch of animes wave goodbye to each other and Josette but here we after three games. The doors fleshed out previously boring characters like Schera and Kloe and... while they're still probably two of my least favourite members of the non-Josette cast they're still a little less dull now. If I had one criticism the Door stuff is almost all pretty much unrelated to the plot- it's 'Kevin is an arse, featuring side stories about Metal Gear and a documentary about salt'. I mean they built the game around that, but it's still fairly disjointed?
-I saw two groups of shining poms the entire game and one was the Abyss boss the fuck.
-Josette you have a Tiger's Heart, an up to date weapon and a Tiger's Heart how are you still doing 200 damage? Can I swap you for Don?

All in all a good game and I hope eventually it turns a profit for Xseed even if it looks like it has sold 12 copies now. The small team part sounds promising?

Taruranto

Even after Tita has grown up, her and Agate pairing up is an icky proposition to me. I hope either of them would have an actual love interest by the time of Cold Steel III to put my mind to rest. But then that'd make Tita potentially Rean-eligible and ew.
You know Tita/Agate is happening whatever we like it or not. I already gave up hope after the first door. Heck I already gave up hope after Elise.

It feels like relationships like this that stay platonic are pretty impossible in RPG.

Young Magus

Finished it.

Cried at the end.

Aidios almighty what a fantastic conclusion.

It was.......
I was tearing up as soon as the final boss started up. Tears/Feels of joy, happyness, rage and optimistic were had.

For the Japanese players, it was a cool final dungeon. For us? They made it into something very special.

They really, really did. Like that shits gonna stick with me forever.

How many times can you say that a games localization team made AN ENTIRE FINAL DUNGEON carry so much more weight than the original.
Those chest quotes man. The tears are starting........and then that last message. Was that for the english version only?

You know Tita/Agate is happening whatever we like it or not. I already gave up hope after the first door. Heck I already gave up hope after Elise.
Hoping for the best but bracing myself really hard.

---

Moon Door 3 / Star Door 8
These effectively changed my impression of Lechter from "that spy pretty guy" to "Kloe's man". I'm not really hot on any potential romances - imagined or otherwise - in the series, but I'm shipping this so hard.

Also, how hype is that Star Door 8? The Olivert - Gilliath conversation had me reeling, and that finale oh gawd. I wonder how I'd feel about this if I hadn't played Cold Steel.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping for the best but bracing myself really hard.

---

Moon Door 3 / Star Door 8
These effectively changed my impression of Lechter from "that spy pretty guy" to "Kloe's man". I'm not really hot on any potential romances - imagined or otherwise - in the series, but I'm shipping this so hard.

Also, how hype is that Star Door 8? The Olivert - Gilliath conversation had me reeling, and that finale oh gawd. I wonder how I'd feel about this if I hadn't played Cold Steel.

I'm not sure how
flying by in an airship and shooting rose petals
actually achieved anything but god damn if that wasn't the most him way of doing things.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Question about 3rd and Cold Steel 1:
So there's some areas and dungeons in CS1 where fiends or fiend-like enemies appear like the wheels that do Speak Lies. Is the implication that they're being taken from the still-decaying phantasma or is it something else? And I guess is it answered in CS2/Crossbell in which case 'nevermind'.

Bruh declared war in the most Oliver fashion possible

True enough. Gotta style.

Kvik

Re: Agate & Tita thing -- I knew they going to pair them up romantically since Tita gets jealous of Anelace in SC. Although, I must say the 12 year difference is a bit.. disconcerting to say the least.

Young Magus

Question about 3rd and Cold Steel 1:
So there's some areas and dungeons in CS1 where fiends or fiend-like enemies appear like the wheels that do Speak Lies. Is the implication that they're being taken from the still-decaying phantasma or is it something else? And I guess is it answered in CS2/Crossbell in which case 'nevermind'.

Vague Reply:
Something else, they operate on the same concept/rules that phantasma does. That in those areas the higher elements are in play which means ancient fukkery is going on

Thoraxes

I'm not sure how
flying by in an airship and shooting rose petals
actually achieved anything but god damn if that wasn't the most him way of doing things.

He pointed the gun right at him, and kept it pointed at him after he shot it.

Basically a huge "Don't fuck with me." in the most him way possible.

Thud

Finished chapter 5. The ending feels somewhat nostalgic. First boss I had a bit of trouble with.

While the party setup of Ries, Estelle, Renne and Richard wasn't ideal, it was still manageable. The petrify status + that healing was too much tho. So I equipped miracle rings and tried again, ended on Estelle's S-craft :p.

Also minor disappointment we didn't play chess in this plane. The duality between black and white would have been neato. I also think no game can truly terrify me with warp points anymore after pokemon and strange journey.

Still couldn't complete the last round of fishing. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

The Wart

Thread inspired me to finally dig into that copy of TitS FC that's been sitting in my GOG library for a good year or two. Did I make a mistake choosing hard difficulty? Because damn, enemies are hitting like a truck.

Jolkien

Where is the item to open Moon Door 5 ? And also for the Nightmare Arena ?
Reposting on the new page. Can anyone help ?

Thread inspired me to finally dig into that copy of TitS FC that's been sitting in my GOG library for a good year or two. Did I make a mistake choosing hard difficulty? Because damn, enemies are hitting like a truck.
Lucky you, how much would I like to jump back in the serie fresh. You're in for a quite a wild ride.

kierwynn

Reposting on the new page. Can anyone help ?

Nightmare arena is
towards the end of the 7th plane dungeon

I honestly don't remember where I found the item for moon door 5 honestly- I just had it by the time I made it there, so sorry I can't help there.

Jolkien

Nightmare arena is
towards the end of the 7th plane dungeon

I honestly don't remember where I found the item for moon door 5 honestly- I just had it by the time I made it there, so sorry I can't help there.

Moon Door 5 item is the Fortune quartz. You just need to equip it.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm currently going down and clearing the seventh plane dungeon. Got the Quartz already too so yay.

Nyoro SF

Which characters should I bring throughout Stage 6 to get optimal dialogue results? So far through I've got:

Part 1:
--Agate--
Part 2:
--Zin--
Part 3: ?

This is of course in addition to the characters you are required to bring.

Which characters should I bring throughout Stage 6 to get optimal dialogue results? So far through I've got:

Part 1:
--Agate--
Part 2:
--Zin--
Part 3: ?

This is of course in addition to the characters you are required to bring.

Kinda different for every encounter, really. Like the second fight of Part 1 gives you more information if you also bring
--Julia--

Part 3:
Boss 1: Nobody really matters.
Boss 2: Julia and Renne.
Boss 3: Several people. I feel he gives the most new information if you at least bring Agate.
Boss 4: Has lengthy things to say to everybody.

Part 4:
Estelle and Renne all the way except for one (and that one should be really obvious). And you also might want to swap Estelle out for Schera for the second boss.

rickyson1

finished this

just out of curiosity what are the secret achievements for? there's 5 I didn't get(please erase my memories,fierce fighter,flighty fighter,farewell,my nightmares,the dadliest)

Well now the big dilemna is which Zemurian weapon I should craft. Any suggestions ? I have two ore right now.

get Richard's

aside from that avoid Anelace's if you plan on doing the nightmare arena since it powers up the Jinu to be stronger than it anyways

The Sky trilogy wasn't really balanced for hard mode. The PC version (the original) only had a single difficulty mode on release, with the higher difficulties just being added as an extra for the PSP port (and then backported to the English PC release later). So hard mode results in the enemies mostly being HP sponges. It's mostly intended for NG+ or for players who have already played before and know what to expect.

Yakkue

finished this

just out of curiosity what are the secret achievements for? there's 5 I didn't get(please erase my memories,fierce fighter,flighty fighter,farewell,my nightmares,the dadliest)

Please erase my memories is for
reading Gilberts book "From Fat to Fit" in the library

desmax

So, I just arrived at the finale.

I'm missing Star Doors 11, 13 and 15
And also Sun Doors 3 and 5

Anyone knows where they are?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
He pointed the gun right at him, and kept it pointed at him after he shot it.

Basically a huge "Don't fuck with me." in the most him way possible.

For sure, but the target didn't exactly seem particularly intimidated; it was just a very fancy declaration of war in the end.

So, I just arrived at the finale.

I'm missing Star Doors 11, 13 and 15
And also Sun Doors 3 and 5

Anyone knows where they are?

Going off memory here, can't double check right now:

Star 11:
One of the keycard doors in the archaism facility
13:
Black Ark, on the floor after the first set of parallel corridors.
15:
Bottom of optional dungeon
Sun 3:
Grancel Arena
5:
Black Ark again, in the middle of one of the multicorridor setups.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anton and Ricky's Great Adventure

Tonton

Sun Door 4 is awesome yo
These characters look a lot different than I imagined tho

Too bad i don't know how to poker

Arthea

It could be the most cozy game to play, teleporting at any time anywhere, saving anywhere, getting max cp and hp/ep rather easily, how is it possible not to love this game?
It also makes it possible to play in as short sessions as one desire, aside of opening doors, that takes some time.
Still, this is a dungeon crawl I never knew I wanted, now I know.

Jolkien

I don't think i quite get what I'm supposed to do in the
Monochrome Schoolhouse

You kill the Dark enemies while keeping the colored ones alive. You restore the color in all the area to advance.

Chapter 7 dungeon:
No encounter in area 4 ? I reached the end with the door and past it there's a big empty room, weird way to finish a dungeon. I thought I'd have gotten one last Zemurian Ore.

You kill the Dark enemies while keeping the colored ones alive. You restore the color in all the area to advance.

Chapter 7 dungeon:
No encounter in area 4 ? I reached the end with the door and past it there's a big empty room, weird way to finish a dungeon. I thought I'd have gotten one last Zemurian Ore.

I think you have to defeat all the preceding Abyss beasts without ever returning to the Hermit's Garden.

Jolkien

I think you have to defeat all the preceding Abyss beasts without ever returning to the Hermit's Garden.

Damn, I was going back to the base to swap party members to catch everyone up. Ok I'll clear all the bosses with my main group ;)
Do you know where is Sun door 5 too ? Only door I have missing.

Damn, I was going back to the base to swap party members to catch everyone up. Ok I'll clear all the bosses with my main group ;)
Do you know where is Sun door 5 too ? Only door I have missing.

Haha yea I did that too.

Sun Door 5:
Black Ark - Forecastle 1F. It's the second large hall with multiple corridors surrounding it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
NG+ spoilers:
the quartz still break, no trying to break Nightmare Cassius with the physical repel quartz. Which I didn't get anyway but Cloak would've saved an awful lot of time.

Is it me or the boss's chapter 5 is super hard? :(

Edit: I had the wrong boss; just clear the adds first, have petrify resistance then try and get the main bosses down at roughly the same time.

Top Bottom