• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope he expands the universe in Avatar 2. This is a future where far flung space travel is a reality, right? I'd love to see different planets being explored that are completey different and alien to Pandora - hell, throw in some space combat for good measure.

If the sequel is just, 'hey, humans return with bigger guns and here's some cool underwater shots of Pandora,' then count me out.

Which just means that the stakes were even more against him. It's much harder to make a sequel to a classic movie and have people love it than the alternative.

It's hard to argue against you when you keep saying the same thing. Yes, he's got a knack for sequels and it's even more difficult when you're up against the incredible original films (though we've seen that only twice, of which the last one over two decades ago). But even though that required some inspired thinking, it does help that they were very good to begin with.

Avatar - and you know, I say this admitting that it is a technical marvel and soundly made - on the other hand, requires something more than inspired thinking. With Alien and Terminator, he didn't need to admit the originals lacked an edge. No, they were great and he needed to make them better. This time though... he must think Avatar is good right? Or would he have removed all the mirrors in his house, cause he can't look at himself anymore?

I mean, fuck. That tribal-chanting-healing-healtheworld-sittingaroundthecampfire shit near the end in Avatar - I look at Aliens, I look at Terminator and then I look at that, and it just hurts.

I really hope he expands the universe in Avatar 2. This is a future where far flung space travel is a reality, right? I'd love to see different planets being explored that are completey different and alien to Pandora - hell, throw in some space combat for good measure.

Cameron has talked about utilizing other moons around the same gas giant that Pandora orbits for the sequels. If the sequels go down the route of featuring a common progenitor for humans and the Navi then that might allow for some space combat if they show up. Or perhaps warring earth factions? I certainly hope there is plenty of human tech featured in the sequels. Not sure if I'm down for 3 hours of just Jake, Neytiri and family exploring Pandora.

Oppo

Do people even want Avatar 2? And 3 and 4? Seems to me to be such a love/hate franchise.

It's got a good metacritic rating, and it's the it's successful movie of all time. Despite what you read on GAF, I'd say it's mostly love.

He's got his Star Wars now so im not surprised by his statement.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I liked Avatar not for story but for visuals (3D) and the theme (jungle/floating island/avatars)

I definitely won't be impressed by the 3D in the subsequent films...unless he does an amazing job with some amazing scenes of depth...and I think by Avatar 2 I'll be bored of the above themes...

Cameron has talked about utilizing other moons around the same gas giant that Pandora orbits for the sequels. If the sequels go down the route of featuring a common progenitor for humans and the Navi then that might allow for some space combat if they show up. Or perhaps warring earth factions? I certainly hope there is plenty of human tech featured in the sequels. Not sure if I'm down for 3 hours of just Jake, Neytiri and family exploring Pandora.

Those are some cool ideas.

Honestly, I'm already tired of Pandora. Most of the sequel should be in a completely different setting, imo.

JB1981

It's got a good metacritic rating, and it's the it's successful movie of all time. Despite what you read on GAF, I'd say it's mostly love.

And you would think GAF would love it since it's like a liberal scifi lovers wet dream

Cheebo

Banned
And you would think GAF would love it since it's like a liberal scifi lovers wet dream
GAFs sci-fi taste tends to be more of the 2001, Blade Runner, Inception, etc variety and less big loud Avatar/Transformers/Battleship sci-fi as far as I can tell.

Jangocube

Banned
Seeing Avatar the first time in 3D was fucking awesome. The movie gets way too much hate.

Looking forward to whatever Cameron makes!

Not interested in anything Cameron does Avatar related. What's so awesome about that world is beyond me.

If he does something like True Lies 2, gimme a call.

Kayhan

The story in Avatar was so insultingly stupid that its like James Cameron was daring people to like the movie.

"Go on idiots, love my movie!"

Daft_Cat

He needs to prove he can actually make a sequel to Avatar that people like before he completely writes off his career in dedication to the Hometree.

Busty

Banned
I readily admit that I liked Avatar but I didn't love it and frankly I can't see why or how Cameron intends to get another 2 or 3 films out of that 'universe'.

Avatar' story line was tied up and unless he intends to radically reinvent or expand the scope of the story (space opera away from Pandora) I don't see what's he going to do.

Seems Battle Angel is officially dead then?

Just one of the many projects that Cameron talks about but will never actually get round to making.

Just like the remake of Forbidden Planet which he's been talking about for something like 20+ years.....

Not interested. Disappointed that he's taking this route. Very talented man, I just don't think that the Avatar universe really has "it" enough to warrant him spending all his time there.

Pakkidis

I wish he would get into the terminator business :(

Avatar was such an average movie, even the 3d didn't impress me as much as I thought it would.

So much salt in this thread. Did all the haters in this thread just skip watching Avatar and ride the lol Dances with Wolves train into the ground. Did you watch a version some dude recorded in the theater with his phone? I watched it in the theater in Imax 3D and I thought it was amazing. The visuals alone were worth the price of admission to me. Also, how can you hate a movie with Mechs?

I will laugh my ass off if Cameron is just trolling everybody.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Pfft, Star Wars? The movie about the kids who doesn't know he's special and meets a wizard to rescue a princess from a guy dressed all in black? How much cliche more can you get? Plus there was no where else to take that film. They blow up the mega weapon space station and everyone lives happily ever after. No way the movie that followed that huge success could actually be better than the original.

Demy

Posts #3 - 7, I <3 you guys.

I hope the deep ocean movie is as groundbreaking as I hope it's gonna be. I wanna see deep sea alien-like fishies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2
True Lies
Titanic

He was a good director and probably a good man too. R.I.P. James Cameron, 1956 - 1997.

0.jpg

aliens-ellen-ripley-gun.jpg

:(

I figured Cameron is one of those directors who directs because he enjoys telling stories. I don't understand why he has shackled himself to producing 3 more Avatars. Its not as if he needs the money.

From the same interview...
James Cameron said:
There are filmmakers that come along that are quite iconoclastic. And that I&#8217;m in awe of, frankly. Zack Snyder&#8217;s &#8220;300.&#8221; I think that was a really revolutionary film, because it was a completely deconstructive form of filmmaking in a way that nobody had done before

It seems from that interview that he's more interested in projects that help him flog his expensive 3d equipment than filmmaking.

Tookay

~700 mil domestic man, people love it. only gaf is 50/50

No, the box office only proves that people were interested and saw it. Doesn't say anything about whether they liked it, continue to like it, or want to see another.

This isn't Cameron's SW. I don't see that kind of cultural conversation about it.

The sequels will make money, but not because people loved the original. It's just another blockbuster to see.

Pfft, Star Wars? The movie about the kids who doesn't know he's special and meets a wizard to rescue a princess from a guy dressed all in black? How much cliche more can you get? Plus there was no where else to take that film. They blow up the mega weapon space station and everyone lives happily ever after. No way the movie that followed that huge success could actually be better than the original.

Believe it or not, at the time the way SW told its story was pretty unique and revolutionary. You seem to lack context of cinematic history in your overblown defense of a soulless movie.

And don't act like there wasn't room for sequels in SW. Yes, the Death Star blew up, but Luke still had to become a proper Jedi, the Empire still needed to fall, and the mystery about Luke's father wasn't completely resolved. Avatar in comparison feels like a dead end.

Tobor

So much salt in this thread. Did all the haters in this thread just skip watching Avatar and ride the lol Dances with Wolves train into the ground. Did you watch a version some dude recorded in the theater with his phone? I watched it in the theater in Imax 3D and I thought it was amazing. The visuals alone were worth the price of admission to me. Also, how can you hate a movie with Mechs?

I will laugh my ass off if Cameron is just trolling everybody.

I saw it in the theater in 3D. It was a beautifully made boring film. The script sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom