• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

Skrams

I've been bored and looking at some gameplay tips compiled by people like gaijinhunter. I mained Min Min the whole time with the first test. Her whole dragon arm thing was a bit confusing to me as I only learned about it after finishing the test. After doing more research it seems really cool.

If I have it right, if you charge even a little or get a grab, her left arm becomes a dragon which basically means her left punches are always charged I think. I would of probably noticed this sooner if I had ever changed my arms, but I stuck with rang on my left and dragon on my right the whole time. She only loses her dragonified noodle arm on knockdowns and if the arm is disabled. It seems like a really neat idea and really cool. I wanted to focus on other fighters for the other tests, but I want to see if I can really take advantage of her dragon arm now that I think I fully understand it.

Also I'm pretty alright with the motion controls. My only problem I guess is that I have tiny baby hands and can't hit the top dpad like the diagram hands. My natural resting position is with my middle finger on the right dpad. I can easily hit the top dpad, but I kind of wish it was anywhere on the dpad to switch targets. I should probably try the non motion controls once before the test is over, but I did peek at the control layout. It looks eh.

Branduil

I've been bored and looking at some gameplay tips compiled by people like gaijinhunter. I mained Min Min the whole time with the first test. Her whole dragon arm thing was a bit confusing to me as I only learned about it after finishing the test. After doing more research it seems really cool.

If I have it right, if you charge even a little or get a grab, her left arm becomes a dragon which basically means her left punches are always charged I think. I would of probably noticed this sooner if I had ever changed my arms, but I stuck with rang on my left and dragon on my right the whole time. She only loses her dragonified noodle arm on knockdowns and if the arm is disabled. It seems like a really neat idea and really cool. I wanted to focus on other fighters for the other tests, but I want to see if I can really take advantage of her dragon arm now that I think I fully understand it.

Also I'm pretty alright with the motion controls. My only problem I guess is that I have tiny baby hands and can't hit the top dpad like the diagram hands. My natural resting position is with my middle finger on the right dpad. I can easily hit the top dpad, but I kind of wish it was anywhere on the dpad to switch targets. I should probably try the non motion controls once before the test is over, but I did peek at the control layout. It looks eh.

You can use the right d-pad to change targets. Or at least I could. I'm not sure why they say you can only use up for that.

FingerBang

I am shocked at how good the motion controls are (I only used MC, I played for around 25 minutes), but I am afraid it would be impossible to be competitive without using a normal controller (either the docked joycons or the pro).

I am not a big fan of fighting game but I can see this one becoming a blast with friends. Not sure about full price though.

Damn, Nintendo took the worst weekend possible in (northern) Europe. It's Saturday and 30 degrees, people too busy being on the beach and barbecuing. Maybe Sunday evening.

It's like 13 degree Celsius here... You are not North enough mate!

And I think that we'll get rain very soon! Prime time for some hand flapping!

I think this demo will do more harm than good from what I've read. Oh well, we'll see.

If you're reading gaf, sure. When is gaf ever right about Nintendo related games though?

I personally loved the demo. Played for 45 mins, alternating with my daughter(she loved it too). The motions controls were very responsive IMO. Going to try the pro controller next.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think this demo will do more harm than good from what I've read. Oh well, we'll see.
My initial impressions also weren't great. It wasn't until I stopped using motion controls and started to get used to the mechanics that the game started to click.

But I could say the same thing about Splatoon 2. Minus the motion controls bit, since motion controls genuinely do improve the way that game plays. But yeah it wasn't until towards the end of the first testfire session that the game started to click with me.

Shahadan

If you're reading gaf, sure. When is gaf ever right about Nintendo related games though?

I personally loved the demo. Played for 45 mins, alternating with my daughter(she loved it too). The motions controls were very responsive IMO. Going to try the pro controller next.

No I meant reddit and elsewhere :p

Shahadan

/r/games are very positive over the game, /r/nintendo is about 50/50 and is /r/nintendoswitch is as always positive.
I just don't see how this demo will hurt the game, it has pretty much sold me on it.

In a lot of those threads (notably in one in /r/nintendoswitch I witnessed it directly) sour impressions were heavily downvoted.
Globally it's positive but I've read a rather large amount of people who changed their mind about buying it. Not always for the right reasons mind you, but that's another matter.

I haven't played it yet since I fell asleep, I'm hoping I won't be like those people since I've already paid for it lol

Lingitiz

/r/games are very positive over the game, /r/nintendo is about 50/50 and is /r/nintendoswitch is as always positive.
I just don't see how this demo will hurt the game, it has pretty much sold me on it.
The Switch subforum is a lot more mixed on it than you're thinking. Half of the initial impressions thread is down on it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a game that looks more instantly playable than it actually is. It's a lot harder to get a grasp on how the game actually plays than it looks, and that throws a lot of people off. You do have to give it a little bit of time for things to click, which honestly I wasn't expecting.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I remember a lot of people whining about motion aiming get in splatoon test fire on wiiu u too
Game is great you just need to learn the controls being something new (not only for motion but in general as a fighting game is pretty different from the usual ones)

This was my second playtime with the game (already tested in the preview tour) and the movement/dodging/curving mechanics were already art in my mind and I played way better than last time

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I remember a lot of people whining about motion aiming get in splatoon test fire on wiiu u too
Game is great you just need to learn the controls being something new (not only for motion but in general as a fighting game is pretty different from the usual ones)

This was my second playtime with the game (already tested in the preview tour) and the movement/dodging/curving mechanics were already art in my mind and I played way better than last time
The difference is that in Splatoon motion aiming genuinely offers an advantage. You can aim faster and more precisely with it. There's a gameplay advantage to it over analog sticks. What gameplay advantage does the motion controls in Arms offer over the stick and button controls? Absolutely nothing. It's exactly the same output but with a motion instead of a button press. It isn't faster. It isn't more reliable. It isn't easier.

kingkaiser

So, the most intuitive and standard way holding the Joycons is ultimately wrong for this game...sounds like Kid Icarus Uprising and Star Fox Zero all over again.

Speely

Banned
3h to go.

Unf. 5am for me, but I only got to play like 15 minutes earlier since the testpunch went live while I was getting off work (I clocked out and literally played it at my desk in tabletop mode before catching the bus hehe.)

So I am totally staying up.

The difference is that in Splatoon motion aiming genuinely offers an advantage. You can aim faster and more precisely with it. There's a gameplay advantage to it over analog sticks. What gameplay advantage does the motion controls in Arms offer over the stick and button controls? Absolutely nothing. It's exactly the same output but with a motion instead of a button press. It isn't faster. It isn't more reliable. It isn't easier.
Are you joking? Did you forget/not know that curving punches is a thing? An important thing? The motion controls in ARMS offer precision punches. Motion is more of an advantage in ARMS than in Splatoon.

Skrams

You can use the right d-pad to change targets. Or at least I could. I'm not sure why they say you can only use up for that.
Well fuck. I'll try that next time. Thanks for letting me know. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad I know this now before another 5 test punches from now.
I've not looked at this topic or reddit a terrible amount, but within my immediate vicinity of friends and discord people I know I've only seen good things. It seems like another Splatoon situation to me with people getting immediately hooked once the testfires started happening.
So, the most intuitive and standard way holding the Joycons is ultimately wrong for this game...sounds like Kid Icarus Uprising and Star Fox Zero all over again.
You turn the controllers 90 degrees so your thumb naturally rests on the top. No one is destroying their wrists or going to have as much complaining about this as either Kid Icarus or Star Fox at all.
Any easy tips for an absolute Fighting Game Noob like me who can't read opponents to save his life?
I'm not really much of a fighting game player either, but as long as you dodge well and perform optimally for the character/arms you have then you don't need to explicitly read the opponent or get that inside their head. Obviously look at their arms and try to get accustomed to how each arm works from the receiving end though. I played Min Min the whole time and I used the dragon and boomerang. From my end I knew the dragon went a short distance and fired a laser on a delay. I'd use it constantly as it's pretty safe and travels a fine distance. It also keeps the opponent on the move so they can't just sit around. The boomerang did fine as a good/fast curve punch. On a stage like Helix/DNA Man's I used the test tubes to my advantage by putting the dragon out to the side as it auto tracked and I didn't need to worry about aiming. The boomerang punch curved well too, so it worked with the material. As long as you get used to the character and arms you use first then you can pick up stuff like reading an opponents patterns later.

I will say though that if you see your opponent eating shit to something over and over then keep doing it until they learn. I charge dragon'd a guy over and over after every wake up until he learned to block/dodge. Easy win for me and the other guy learns or gives up the game forever. Win/Win.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Are you joking? Did you forget/not know that curving punches is a thing? An important thing? The motion controls in ARMS offer precision punches. Motion is more of an advantage in ARMS than in Splatoon.
Curving punches is done in the exact same way with the analog stick. Exactly the same. This isn't a "full" motion control game. What you're motioning isn't being replicated on screen. You simply do a motion to to a set move. The speed, angle etc of you wrist flick makes no difference. You either curve left or right or you dont. Which is why it translates to the analog without the action being any different. This isn't Skyward Sword. These are just set actions done with motion instead.

You just use the stick to input the motion instead.
Similar to how you use the right stick to draw in w101.

Besides like every single fighting game ever being able to react quickly is kinda important, which you can literally not do using motion controls.

SuperSah

Banned
I didn't get on the first round but will try to for the second. I am super super excited since I really like the look of this game.

Any consensus or impressions? Thread is too long!

N.Grim

It is faster because you have access to right punch, left punch, jump and sprint all at the same time

Preorders skyrocket since yesterday. Unlike those two games ARMS will be a hit, motion controls work perfectly (unlike in the games you mentioned).

Preorders skyrocket since yesterday. Unlike those two games ARMS will be a hit, motion controls work perfectly (unlike in the games you mentioned).

The motion controls in SF0 were fine (not great, but fine) for me. What really brought the game down for me was the combination of motion controls, button controls, and the forced split attention between two screens.

The motion-controls didn't click with me ( yet ) and I found the pro-controller to be a superior option. With that said, the game is surprisingly fun. Maybe not super-hardcore, but the polish is there, the base mechanics are solid and I can see myself getting into this.

So yeah, I am buying this.

The Rizza

had 4 friends over, we decided to split arms up and that ended up being amazing lol

One person would have left arm and the other would have right and it actually worked really well if you were synced up haha

You and your friend must have good drift compatibility 😏

I find it surprising that some people held the joycons the wrong way...they have litterally shown and talked about the thumbs up control in every video, and they even have a visual card before playing <_<

Thats why its so funny when some people here complain about not knowing this.&#9757;&#65039;

Cerbero

So, i really liked the testpunch last night, i tried half an our with the motion controls and the other half with my pro controller, i loved the motion controls, which is very weird for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It is faster because you have access to right punch, left punch, jump and sprint all at the same time
You just described the button/stick controls.

The game doesn't actually tell you but the triggers also do punches. Then you've obviously got dash and jump on the face buttons.

Top Bottom