• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix unsure how Dragon Quest XI will do due to Japanese console market

Neither have the potential of the PS4. Overseas presence is the very reason the PS4 SKU exists.
Realistically, how many copies do you think DQXI PS4 can sell in the west. We have DQVIII and IX selling about ~1m. Can PS4 version go much beyond that?

The PS4 version exists also because Horii wanted it on the big screen, and also as part of an initiative to revive the home console market in Japan.

EvB

Japan never had Thanksgiving or Turkey, but KFC had the bright idea in the 90's to offer thanksgiving sales in Japan for chicken buckets and now its a tradition in Japan that on Thanksgiving people will buy KFC buckets as a way to celebrate Thanksgiving

It's actually for Christmas.
Nobody else in he world gives a shit about the festival of indigenous people murder.

However plenty of people just love to celebrate the birth of baby Santa.

Trago

Realistically, how many copies do you think DQXI PS4 can sell in the west. We have DQVIII and IX selling about ~1m. Can PS4 version go much beyond that?

The PS4 version exists also because Horii wanted it on the big screen, and also as part of an initiative to revive the home console market in Japan.

I'm personally hoping for success similar to Persona 5. Out of nowhere hit topping the NPD.

Meffer

If they're unsure they put focus on it outside Japan as well.
That and release the Switch version along with or soon after the PS4 version.

I will say DQ's popularity over here is subject to a chicken and egg scenario. SE never seems to place any focus on DQ localizations until after the game releases in Japan, even going so far as to keep us guessing whether or not it ever will release outside of Japan.

That type of disinterest in this market definitely affects the interest consumers will have in their product. SE needs to actually make an effort to promote these games in the west at the same time as Japan if they want to actually see increased interest. I'm a massive DQ fan but it frustrates me to no end how little information we get about when we'll be able to buy these games, and even more so when we don't get to play them until they've been out for like a year in Japan. That type of thing is offputting, and a great way to decrease your potential fan base.

Oregano

I'm personally hoping for success similar to Persona 5. Out of nowhere hit topping the NPD.

Persona 5 did better than anyone expected but the signs were there of a big build up over the years. Theres been no similar signs for DQ.

Trago

Persona 5 did better than anyone expected but the signs were there of a big build up over the years. Theres been no similar signs for DQ.

Word of mouth also helped that game.

Maybe the same could be possible for DQXI. It also helps that it's multiplatform.

sanstesy

I don't see how DQXI will not be a disappointment financially as I don't see all 3 versions outselling DQIX which should be a requirement.

Rolf NB

One thing that really must have helped Persona was not bowing out of the market for 12 years.

If Squenix could somehow imitate that key pattern, Dragon Quest 12 will surely sell amazing in the west.

Fraxin

So long as they don't pull an Azure Revolution and shit out a demo that isn't ready yet in the name of pushing copies that'll poison the well.

I can only imagine what Azure Revolution could have been in a world where it didn't get its budget pulled because of reactions to a demo that needed more time in the oven but got shat out anyway to push VC Remastered sales.

Don't think they'd do that.

Azure Revolution is from Sega. From what I recall, none of the demos Square released were as bad as Azure revolution.

I think the demo might be able to contribute to the sales.

Maniel

Banned
It will definitely sell over 3 million in Japan. If it can sell 5 million worldwide I think Square will be happy with the sales.

Arzehn

I mean, part of the state of the industry falls on SE too. When it was at it's best they were releasing blockbusters every year growing the fanbase. Now we get a big game from them once every 3-5.

It's no surprise of course, and I'm not blaming them. They're still my favorite company. Game development has just changed since then.

Personally wish we could go back to the PS1 era and stay there permanently as there was one of the best in terms of quality and output for me. (not my first era either)

Tohsaka

They really need to announce the localization at e3, hopefully with a release this year. They've shown with FFXV and Nier Automata that they can do worldwide releases if they want to.

oSoLucky

I am not a Dragon Quest fan. I'm a gigantic JRPG fan, and it's been my favorite genre for years. I absolutely LOVED DQ9, and was thinking about recently buying another 3DS(which I despise) to play it again. It was crazy hype when DQX got announced, and here I am. Then I looked at the Western release schedule of 7/8. Fool me once, SE. I still may buy Builders and Heroes 2 supposedly fixes a lot of my gripes with 1 so possibly. If 11 gets announced for the West, then I'll let my hype go through the roof and start giving a shit.

Some Nobody

They really need to announce the localization at e3, hopefully with a release this year. They've shown with FFXV and Nier Automata that they can do worldwide releases if they want to.

In general a localization announcement at E3 is the best shot this game can get tbh.

I think it will do well. The PS4 version id the wild card for me. I think it will do a little over 1 million in Japan but WW is the big question mark. The PS4 sells a lot of SW and the audience on that platform are receptive to Japanese games. I'm not sure how the delayed release will affect it. It should be releasing day and date with the west and IMO it would sell much better.

The 3DS I don't know what to expect. Whilst it continues to sell well in Japan I think the switch has taken some of the excitement from the console. It'll still be the highest selling platform of the game but I'm not quite as bullish on its prospects as i once was.

The switch version, well until we know what it is and when it's coming it's hard to know what to expect.

I still think when all is said and done between the 3 versions this has a high chance of being the best selling DQ to date. I do wonder how much bigger the budget is though. Making 2 seperate versions of the game for PS4 and 3DS has got to be a shitload more expensive than just developing for DS.

Dsyndrome

Why are we pretending this won't get localized?
You got a date? Because I most definitely will have 60-70 hour work weeks when I actually expect this game to come out, as opposed to it's Japanese release date. Along with the 7 and 8 remaster plans, why would any Western fan be optimistic?

EDarkness

I was about to type the same thing. I don't think there's much excitement around Dragon Quest XI at the moment, but I guess if the game comes out and is super awesome, then it may gain some traction over here. I'm not really sure what it is about the game that doesn't really appeal to the RPG audience here, but I hope they can figure it out since the game looks great. Either way, I do wonder if the PS4 version will do much overseas. Not much talk about this game and no real excitement either. Persona 5 had a crazy amount of hype before it was released, so I wasn't surprised it ended up doing well. Same with Final Fantasy XV.

We're not, but the problem is that it should have been announced for localization the same day it was announced.

I agree, but an announcement at a E3 press conference should give it plenty of attention.

I think most people who aren't familiar with Dragon Quest would be really pleasantly surprised at this game simply by looking at its visuals.

Yjynx

This is what happened when a Dinosaur still hold a portion of power in your company....

Market it in the west dumbasses. Release it worldwide simultaneously.....

Edit:
Holy shit some of nintendo fans really salty that main DQ games got a full PS4 version....

What so hard to understand that PS4 version gives them a chance for worldwide appeal? Nuts gamer community.

ethomaz

Banned
Neither have the potential of the PS4. Overseas presence is the very reason the PS4 SKU exists.
I don't understand that way of thinking.

Japan is the reason the PS4 version exists... the west port was not even announced... the PS4 version is even different than 3DS.

I won't be surprised if DQXI sells best on PS4 in Japan.

13ruce

Banned
Switch and 3DS version will do fantastic in Japan Ps4 probably too.

In west Switch and 3DS version will do great and ps4 will do okayish.

Anyway the spinoffs should not be used as a way to measure sales. Because well they are spin offs not main games.

VIII and IX did pretty good in the west over a million. The spinoffs will probably not sell that much in the west sadly.

With spin offs i mean heroes and builders.
Anyway lets hope it will do well it looks amazing so far!

jjonez18

I'd say releasing it close to the Japanese release date and having proper online marketing would raise buzz enough to reach 1 million in the West same as Persona. Let the press spread the word about the game with previews and reviews. Maybe give PS Access, Edge, IGN, etc... an exclusive or two. It would definitely help if it were a GOTY material like Persona.

Overall, I see DQXI doing fine. Switch is taking off. PS4 has a solid RPG fan base. 3DS is my only concern. I think it's got one more go round in it though.

I think it will do better than that in Japan alone. Worldwide it depends, the PS4 audience seems pretty receptive to high production value rpgs so it might do quite decently as well.

Agreed, plus I think outside of Japan there's been a good amount of anticipation after the long wait since DQ8 back on PS2 for a big, high budget console Dragon Quest.

In general a localization announcement at E3 is the best shot this game can get tbh.

Yeah, that would be best.

If not I hope they at least consider getting it a slot at PSX to announce it to get extra eyeballs and hype on it, like Ni no Kuni 2.

This is what happened when a Dinosaur still hold a portion of power in your company....

Market it in the west dumbasses. Release it worldwide simultaneously.....

Edit:
Holy shit some of nintendo fans really salty that main DQ games got a full PS4 version....

What so hard to understand that PS4 version gives them a chance for worldwide appeal? Nuts gamer community.

The 2 best selling systems of all time (including in the west) had their mainline entries sell pretty meh in the west. And that wasn't coming off an 8+ year hiatus. It's just whether the PS4 version is a good decision with the dev cost when it might mean an extra 500k sales WW over having just a 3ds version. (People who wouldn't buy the 3ds version if that was all that existed but would buy the PS4 version. In Japan and elsewhere.

PS4 version will sell more than that but how many would not have bought the 3ds version if that's all there was.

aadiboy

Dragon Quest XI could do Ni No Kuni level sales or better in the west if SE actually makes an effort. Putting it on the PS4 is a step in the right direction, but they also need to make sure it's the only major Japanese PS4 game in its release month.

Also, it needs an epic trailer at Sony's E3 or at PSX, and not just the same boring trailers they always do with the main theme playing in the background. No one cares about the main theme in the west...DQ doesn't have a heritage here. I feel like every DQ trailer tries to play up the heritage of the series but no one gives a shit about that here. Play some cool cutscene, show the party fighting a huge boss, show some crazy magic attack, show mc riding the mounts. We want to see action!

kswiston

Dragon Quest XI could do Ni No Kuni level sales or better in the west if SE actually makes an effort. Putting it on the PS4 is a step in the right direction, but they also need to make sure it's the only major Japanese PS4 game in its release month.

Also, it needs an epic trailer at Sony's E3 or at PSX, and not just the same boring trailers they always do with the main theme playing in the background. No one cares about the main theme in the west...DQ doesn't have a heritage here. I feel like every DQ trailer tries to play up the heritage of the series but no one gives a shit about that here. Play some cool cutscene, show the party fighting a huge boss, show some crazy magic attack, show mc riding the mounts. We want to see action!

DQVIII and IX already had comparable sales to Ni No Kuni in the west.

I sure hope they do a similar localization job to DQVIII on PS2. People probably won't like the midi music very much. Or maybe it's just me.

Mendrox

The advertising for the game in Japan is out of this world. Saw ist everywhere so I think it will sell okay, but games are not that big anymore in Japan so it wont sell gangbusters like back then.

Well let's see... preorders shows PS4 version stronger.

Seems like all the pre-release hype polls I've seen have the PS4 version higher too.

Not that it'll translate to sales, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 version manages to sell close to on par with the 3DS version.

At any rate, I think the people that try to claim that the PS4 version only exists for the west are downright insane.

Lynx_7

DQ VIII and IX sold around 1m worldwide, so it's not like mainline titles sell badly (excluding remakes), the problem is Square probably won't be satisfied at all if DQ XI does P5 numbers. As for the lack of online hype, I think DQ might be a bit more popular with a more casual/mainstream audience? I honestly have no clue where those extra sales for new releases come from if that isn't the explanation. Maybe it'd have more of a presence online if Square had capitalized on VIII's and IX's momentum by making a console entry sooner.

Top Bottom