• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME |OT| Breath of the Child

MTC100

Banned
They're both variable, but the base PS4 runs a decent bit lower on average, and has dips into the 20s.

Oh... but then why not lock the PS4Pro version at 30? It seems like a strange decision to unlock the frame rate, though it might only be me that doesn't like frames running from 30-55 and preferring 30fps locked instead.

Sounds like the PC Version is the way to go then. I'll still wait for what the Switch Version will offer though, I could live with a solid 30fps lock, even with reduced visual effects. -But hearing of the vanilla PS4 not holding 30fps doesn't sound too promising :/

RPGCrazied

The base PS4 version doesn't seem like 30fps, its all over the map. I think a locked 30fps would do this game good.

Wozman23

Put in 3.25 hours last night on PS4 Amateur. I'm not one to complain about performance much, but the frame rate is pretty bad, and it is a frequent problem.

The game and world however are beautiful and intriguing so far. It's a pretty relaxing mix of simple puzzles and exploration. Seems like it has quite a few different types of collectibles.

The animations and collision detection aren't perfect either, but then other times some of the animations can be really impressive. Reminds me a bit of the slight jankiness in The Last Guardian.

Despite the technical issues, I'm excited to jump back in tonight.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner also inspired Child Of Light.

In case anyone wants to read the legendary poem: http://www.online-literature.com/coleridge/646/

Or the song by Iron Maiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Hoje0308

Banned
Really wish there was an option to cap at 30. On Pro and performance is awful. Don't see how anyone at the studio could have thought this is the best way to present the game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Dariuas, can we expect to see hardcover artbook and is there any plans at all to release it at some point? I really want to have it in my collection :)

Deathknell

Hey everyone,
I have seen some conversations about our use of Denuvo anti-tamper, and I wanted to take a moment to address it. We have had discussions about Denuvo internally, and one of the key points of all of those discussions have simply been, we want to ensure the best gaming experience for RiME players. RiME is a very personal experience told through both sight and sound. When a game is cracked, it runs the risk of creating issues with both of those items, and we want to do everything we can to preserve this quality in RiME.

We are very committed to this, but also to the simple fact that nothing is infallible. That being said, if RIME is cracked we will release a Denuvo free version of RiME and update existing platforms.

So I have to cheer for the pirates to be able to legally buy your game .. good to know

burgerdog

Well, i'm sorry, but you are wrong.

These are the settings / preset i've used to play this game from start to the end. As you can see, not SSAO here and i even switched shadows to medium to get almost constant but not perfect 60 FPS ib 1080p.

SSAA and SSAO are not the same thing.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
SSAA and SSAO are not the same thing.
Oh, sorry, i meant SSAA. There is no option for AO in the game.

Update:

I've just played the game for a little bit with new NVIDIA drivers.

1080p max setting + TXAA

51 FPS min, 85 FPS average, 185 FPS max.

1440p max setting + TXAA

48 FPS min, 61 FPS average, 135 FPS max.

4K max setting + TXAA

31 FPS min, 45 FPS average - 59 FPS max.

The game runs mostly locked to 60 in 1080p but with minor frame drops to 57-58 FPS from time to time and that's why i can't say that i'm getting stable 60 100% of time. For some people it's no big deal of course, but for me it's hard not to notices some hitching and stutters here and there :)

MTC100

Banned
Oh, sorry, i meant SSAA. There is no option for AO in the game.

Update:

I've just played the game for a little bit with new NVIDIA drivers.

1080p max setting + TXAA

51 FPS min, 85 FPS average, 185 FPS max.

1440p max setting + TXAA

48 FPS min, 61 FPS average, 135 FPS max.

4K max setting + TXAA

31 FPS min, 45 FPS average - 59 FPS max.

The game runs mostly locked to 60 in 1080p but with minor frame drops to 57-58 FPS from time to time and that's why i can't say that i'm getting stable 60 100% of time. For some people it's no big deal of course, but for me it's hard not to notices some hitching and stutters here and there :)

So the frame rate is all over the place on PC too...

What are your specs by the way?

I bought the game on PC but haven't been home to try it out yet.

I see the stuff about PC performance, but I don't see anyone talking about controls. Does this play alright with kb/m or will it work better with a controller?

cyba89

Played around two hours so far
Finished the first island
. Went in almost completely blind. Only remember the reveal trailer from a few years ago and read a few impressions beforehand.
It's a very relaxing and beautiful game. The world is intruguing and the little story hints you get motivate you to continue further and learn more about everything.

Music is great. Often in the background but gets more prominent in the right moments.
Puzzles are there but not very challenging. If the reviews are to believe I don't expect them to get a lot harder overall. So if you want some really well designed head-scratchers this game is maybe not what you're looking for.

Overall my first impressions are pretty positive. Doesn't reach the heights from the games it clearly took some inspiration from yet (Team ICO, Journey), but still a very enyoyable experience so far. And did I already say it's really beautyful?

Mdk7

As someone who beat the game a few days ago, I can't wait to read your post after you reach the stunning ending.
Seriously, it's truly memorable, something that will stay with you forever.

Montresor

As an Xbox player, am I better off waiting to play this on Scorpio? Is the performance that bad or should I be okay to enjoy this after work tonight?

Note: I already have this pre-ordered and pre-loaded but I'll refund it and re-purchase this September (fingers crossed that's when Scorpio is releated) if the frame rate kills game play.

Osahi

As someone who beat the game a few days ago, I can't wait to read your post after you reach the stunning ending.
This. Really tops the game off for me.
planning a second run trough the game just to find all toys, so I can have more interactions at the end

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, it sucks to read about the performance issues, I'll pick it up when Scorpio releases to get the stable 30fps.

leng jai

Well, it sucks to read about the performance issues, I'll pick it up when Scorpio releases to get the stable 30fps.

Lmfao @ the prospect of needing Scorpio for this to run at 30fps.

Where's the PC performance thread? I'm guessing 4K/60fps is out of the question for a 1070.

Been playing the game for around an hour now... so far it is enjoyable but there is something that just keeps me from loving it.
Will finish it and see if by the end my feelings towards the game change but right now I don't see it being a classic in my book.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where's the PC performance thread? I'm guessing 4K/60fps is out of the question for a 1070.

I'd intended to make one come unlock o'clock but ended being a social butterfly instead. I'll be home within the next hour or so, though, so if nobody beats me to it I'll slap one together then.

epmode

Not getting great framerates at 1440p + no AA. It's not unplayable or anything but I dip to ~40 FPS in areas with a decent amount of stuff onscreen. Feels like the framerate should be higher with last gen's Titan X.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Lmfao @ the prospect of needing Scorpio for this to run at 30fps.

Well I don't want to get this on PC and I want to play it with the Xbox controller, it's the only option really...

Played around two hours so far
Finished the first island
. Went in almost completely blind. Only remember the reveal trailer from a few years ago and read a few impressions beforehand.
It's a very relaxing and beautiful game. The world is intruguing and the little story hints you get motivate you to continue further and learn more about everything.

Music is great. Often in the background but gets more prominent in the right moments.
Puzzles are there but not very challenging. If the reviews are to believe I don't expect them to get a lot harder overall. So if you want some really well designed head-scratchers this game is maybe not what you're looking for.

Overall my first impressions are pretty positive. Doesn't reach the heights from the games it clearly took some inspiration from yet (Team ICO, Journey), but still a very enyoyable experience so far. And did I already say it's really beautyful?

Awesome! Been waiting for this.

leng jai

I'd intended to make one come unlock o'clock but ended being a social butterfly instead. I'll be home within the next hour or so, though, so if nobody beats me to it I'll slap one together then.

Just admit that you were busy watching Atonement again mate.

Wok

I have the minimum requirements specs and play on low settings. The game is perfectly playable as it is.

NgKg53p.png

However, I find it strange that the framerate, as reported by Steam, is ~25 FPS, no matter the graphical settings (from low to high), yet it does feel smoother with low settings than with high settings.

this game is far more demanding than you'd think from looking at it.

If I want a solid 60 fps on 'high' settings (everything turned up except AA), I have to drop to 1080p on my Titan X pascal.

Cmagus

Just finished the game and what a great game it was. The art direction and design in this is incredible some of the effects and themes they use are beautiful. The soundtrack was also wonderful and really hit the right points. I really got a Ghibli type vibe from some of the moments in this game and although subtle really hit the mark.

The game takes a bit to build but when it gets going the characters really come out and they really show quite a bit of personality despite no dialogue. I know it's minor but I liked how the shout button also had the main character showing different emotions whether it was a simple hmm like he is interesting or crying later in the game because he isn't sure what going on and I won't spoil anything but somethings happen that seem to trigger that mood in the character, it's a really nice touch.

I also like how each chapter had it's own theme and style as well and I'm glad it wasn't the same thing all the way through. I liked Chapter 2 and I liked how it was basically one long boss fight. If I had one nitpick I'd say I wish there was a little more variation in the puzzles but I felt like they fit well and weren't too hard but there was some that you had to think about for a bit.

Really good game, I had fun and I'll probably go back in and clean up the few achievements I missed. Took a little over 6 hours to beat.

I can honestly say the ending was unexpected and pretty damn good.

A few more screens

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just admit that you were busy watching Atonement again mate.

Haha, I haven't actually watched Atonement a second time, and the first time I saw it was way back when it released, well before I had any idea who she was. Admittedly, though, I forgot that the there was no pre-load and so the PC performance thread is still ~10 minutes away, so I'm still a dumbo. ;)

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381065

I'm about to create a "Best pause music" thread because of this. It's probably been created before but this jumps into the top ten IMO.
Take me away!

Cmagus

Anyone else have an issue with this game running from steam and the windows task bar is still showing?

I had this issue when the game started. For now going into the settings and setting the game and changing the screen type will get rid of it.I'm not sure if it's the game or Windows 10 because I get this issue often with Final Fantasy XIV as well it just seems to happen with some games.

Top Bottom