• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TunaLover

That would be nice. :)

I just want lots of RPGs period. Symphonia 3 would be lovely.

But at least we got the almighty Monolith Soft on our side underway with a Wii U game as we speak. One RPG to rule them all. ;) Shgame that Xenoblade came SO late, to NA at he very least. :( At least the localization gives us hope for the Wii U game coming over.

Monolith haven't made many RPGs for consoles lately, but Nintendo did bring both of theirs (BKO and Xenoblade).

Yeah, lots of RPGs, I can't wait to start bugging XSEED for localizations =P

wsippel

Banned
Can you really determine anything from it being an HD7000 series? That's a fairly broad spectrum of power.
Right, that in itself tells us nothing. The whole premise is stupid, though, as all we know is that Wii U devkits use R700 GPUs - but all non-final devkits for every system in the past, including PS3 and 360, used off-the-shelf GPUs that were about 30 months old by the time the actual systems launched. What's used in an early devkit is usually never indicative of the final product.

Bumhead

Banned
What are we speculating price wise, GAF?

I'm anticipating nearer to £200 than £300 but not sure if im being stupid and/or naive..

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, so over in the latest NextBox rumor thread there's actually some halfway believable intel that MS is going with an HD7000 series GPU.

Assuming that's true, how much more powerful is that over the hardware Nintendo is speculated to go with?
Not known, the ranges are wide. They can be equal in terms of FLOPs. But a Southern Islands will always be more efficient at tessellation than a Spartan. ..Assuming we have a Souther Islands and a Spartan to boot.

BY2K

Membero Americo
300-349$, bundled with one Wii U Controller and One Mini-Game Collection to demonstrate the Wii U Controller. (The same way Wii Sport did for the Wiimote.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not known, the ranges are wide. They can be equal in terms of FLOPs. But a Southern Islands will always be more efficient at tessellation than a Spartan. ..Assuming we have a Souther Islands and a Spartan to boot.

Pretty much. High end R700 and lowest end HD7000 are sort of kinda in the same ball park, with the latter still outperforming thanks to a smaller die and improvements on all front, especially doing more modern shit like tessellation.

Its hard to compare numbers because anything is possible, especially in a closed hardware environment, and that we don't know exactly what the Wii U's final GPU will be.

But this does reinforce my belief the gap will be still quite large. I don't expect the next Xbox to go with a low end HD7000. Higher end HD7000 is well and truly miles away from anything in the R700 line, as far as I'm aware. Leaps and bounds better on all fronts.

wsippel

Banned
Pretty much. High end R700 and lowest end HD7000 are sort of kinda in the same ball park, with the latter still outperforming thanks to a smaller die and improvements on all front, especially doing more modern shit like tessellation.
Not entirely true either, as more recent GPUs traded off pure graphics efficiency for better GPGPU capabilities. Also, like I wrote, early devkits using a R700 GPU means little. Early Xbox360 devkits used Radeon 9800 GPUs. Not necessarily indicative.

Door2Dawn

Banned

Its hard to compare numbers because anything is possible, especially in a closed hardware environment, and that we don't know exactly what the Wii U's final GPU will be.

But this does reinforce my belief the gap will be still quite large. I don't expect the next Xbox to go with a low end HD7000. Higher end HD7000 is well and truly miles away from anything in the R700 line, as far as I'm aware. Leaps and bounds better on all fronts.
This doesn't reinforce anything. It says nothing about the performance.

How can you all stand this neverending Wii U specualtion any longer? I've had my fair share for the last couple of month, but now I just can't take it anymore. There are questions that bug me, but I won't think or speculate about anything WII U related until the final, official facts are shown at this years E3, for the sake of my sanity.

No choice but to do so :/. Besides, us old farts are used to waiting for things. Communication like this was science fiction when I was a lad!

*cough*

Thraktor

Higher end HD7000 series cards also consume far more power than would be feasible in a console (although the same could be said for higher end HD4000 cards, for that matter).

Until we see more releases though from the HD7000 line we don't really know what kind of watts they're using. Watt usage on these cards will give you a good hint of what's possible and what isn't. Look for a 100watt or less card and that will give you an idea of what's going to be in the system. I don't think any of the high end HD7000 line cards are going to be 100 watts or less though. I think you're more looking at a midrange chip tops.

jacksrb

How can you all stand this neverending Wii U specualtion any longer? I've had my fair share for the last couple of month, but now I just can't take it anymore. There are questions that bug me, but I won't think or speculate about anything WII U related until the final, official facts are shown at this years E3, for the sake of my sanity.

Ha ha! The joke is on all of us. What if they don't share the following details at E3 (just like they didn't the year the Wii launched)?
- Launch Date (Q4 - which would just mean the Sunday before Thanksgiving)
- Launch Price (less than $1,000 Canadian)
- Launch Lineup (the following titles are in the launch window - prize for picking the 1st party game that will get pushed)

But I guess we will know about online and the in development games, so that will be a big plus. Wonder if the form factor will change at all (controller looks great to me as is, but still curious).

royalan

Thanks for answering, guys.

Ugh - this makes me anxious. It's always been obvious that the Wii U was going to be less powerful than Xbox 720/ PS4, but I hope Nintendo learned a lesson from this gen, thinks long-term with the Wii U, and strives to maintain some level of parity with the competition.

PS2 - Xbox 1 difference is perfectly acceptable. Any less than that and I'm afraid the system might get Dreamcasted. Or, at the very least, 3rd parties will be discouraged from fully exploiting the uPad screen in order to save precious processing to keep the game performing on par with the 720/PS4 versions.

I wouldn't mind putting down a little extra money to get a machine capable enough to sustain 3rd party relevance an entire generation. What I probably won't be doing is putting down budget dollars for a console that'll pretty much become Nintendo-only after the first year or so.

... and your contribution to society is?

What? :lol

Anyway, wonder how far they'll go with media sharing and such. The idea of flicking through pics on the Upad and viewing them as a presentation on the big screen is kinda cool.

Also, I thought that with the Upad being able to display info and the screen left for something else, we'll get a lot of board-game to video game adaptations hitting the console. Could be cool, could be bad.

Baten Kaitos 3.

That is all.

Someone correct meif I'm wrong, but didn't Namco sell the reainder of their shares to Nintendo? So I think Monolith has cut ties with Namco, so the odds of BK3 is very slim.

Wasn't that UFO shot we saw long ago by Konno? (that's his name right? The artist?) Not what I'd expect from a BK game.

Edit: DP. :(

Instro

Someone correct meif I'm wrong, but didn't Namco sell the reainder of their shares to Nintendo? So I think Monolith has cut ties with Namco, so the odds of BK3 is very slim.

Wasn't that UFO shot we saw long ago by Konno? (that's his name right? The artist?) Not what I'd expect from a BK game.

Edit: DP. :(
I think Nintendo/Monolith owns the IP.

As for your 2nd point, not sure what "UFO" shot you are talking about? There's been like 2 pieces of art from Honne released that is whatever game he is working on, are those what you are talking about?

Xun

Thanks for answering, guys.

Ugh - this makes me anxious. It's always been obvious that the Wii U was going to be less powerful than Xbox 720/ PS4, but I hope Nintendo learned a lesson from this gen, thinks long-term with the Wii U, and strives to maintain some level of parity with the competition.

PS2 - Xbox 1 difference is perfectly acceptable. Any less than that and I'm afraid the system might get Dreamcasted. Or, at the very least, 3rd parties will be discouraged from fully exploiting the uPad screen in order to save precious processing to keep the game performing on par with the 720/PS4 versions.

I wouldn't mind putting down a little extra money to get a machine capable enough to sustain 3rd party relevance an entire generation. What I probably won't be doing is putting down budget dollars for a console that'll pretty much become Nintendo-only after the first year or so.
In terms of power, the Wii U being the Dreamcast of this generation wouldn't be a bad thing.

It's a shame we never got the chance to see what the Dreamcast could actually do.

Log4Girlz

Wii U will be perfectly capable of very pretty graphics. With rare exception, the same couldn't be said about the original Wii. When expectations were raised as they do each new generation, it lagged woefully behind. Wii U will basically be capable of any effects the big boys are.

I think Nintendo/Monolith owns the IP.

As for your 2nd point, not sure what "UFO" shot you are talking about? There's been like 2 pieces of art from Honne released that is whatever game he is working on, are those what you are talking about?

Honne, that's the one. :)

I'll dig the pic up, it was posted on GAF when it showed up. (edit: that was a different pic I was thinking)

Edit:

AHgUS.jpg

Again, hints that its a real change upwards, or just a real change along the lines of "We're now using NVidia and not AMD" type of thing.

Real change as in this hardware is an actual representation of the final hardware.

So how big would it be if Nintendo has actually upgraded the spec to be of predicted PS4/Xbox Next level?

So big that it's pretty much guaranteed not to happen.

guek

Banned
So, bgassassin, are you still sticking by your original predictions? Namely:

CPU
Tri-core (POWER7-based cores) @ 3+Ghz
3MB L2 cache (split 1.5MB:768KB:768KB; maybe they'll increase this before launch)

GPU
600-800Mhz
640-800 SPUs
(I really think Nintendo is trying for a 28nm GPU)

Memory
32MB of embedded 1T-SRAM-Q
1.5GB of GDDR5 memory

Misc
6x-10x slim optical drive
8-16GB Flash memory
~1 USB 3.0 port (for HDD, hopefully)

Instro

Honne, that's the one. :)

I'll dig the pic up, it was posted on GAF when it showed up. (edit: that was a different pic I was thinking)

Edit:

AHgUS.jpg

Ah that one. I can't remember if that UFO thing is part of the concept art for some new game, or is art from one of their older titles. The one that Honne is working on is related to this:

m0GpYs

Perhaps they are one in the same, or maybe they are working on two games one WiiU one 3DS.

@guek - Unless they made some changes (obviously), I'm sticking with it.

i.e. clock rate, RAM, etc. finalised?

Considering how last minute GC saw clock changes, I definitely couldn't say yes to that. Since it's my belief that when looking at the launch time frame between E3 and end of 2012 that this change would be either the final or near final kit, then the rest of those things would most likely be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom