• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Can't wait for Manhattan Project. It sounds like a real game-changer for most types of music. Schiit keeps on bringing the good stuff.

I've been intrigued as hell since they announced it more than a year ago (maybe two years ago?) and gave us very cryptic hints about it.

But as always, I'll wait for a schiit ton of reviews before pulling the trigger.

What I like about this new gear is how cheap it is (under USD200). At the same time, I'm wondering how much the bigger more badass version will offer.

I was reading the thread from Super Best blabla, and both Mike & Jason seem to participate and give much more interesting info compared to what they share in headfi.

I'll begin to frequent that site more often :D

Sounds like digital equalizer no?

I don't think so, except if a digital EQ works entirely different than an analog one. An EQ doesn't change pitch, but affects the "amplitude" of the signal (specific frequencies of the signal, to be more precise).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone know where I can buy more of the plastic earpad fastener rings, for my Teaks?

I need to A/B the Dekoni Elite Velour against the stock pads, and I really don't want to have to swap the fasteners back and forth every time.

Dear GAF

Mr Headphones is tempting me right now.

Help me be strong. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's.

LQX

And I just bought a Magni 2U :(

If you bought it from Schiit themselves you can return it for the Magni 3 or get a price match.

In case it gets buried, to summarize, today we:

1. Introduced Magni 3, a $99 fully-discrete, fully-complementary, current-feedback headphone amp and preamp, for $99, bringing better-than-Magni-2-Uber-functionality-and-performance to a price point $50 less. If you ordered a Magni 2 or Uber in the last 30 days, contact orders@schiit.com and they'll get you taken care of with swaps, refunds, or both.

2. Changed the top of the Modi 2 to aluminum to match the Magni 3, since it is frequently stacked with that product, reaping huge sonic benefits (just kidding, this is a cosmetic change, and if you need a steel-top one, just ask.)

3. Lowered the price for Vali 2 to $149, reflecting new production efficiencies and making it an even better bargain. Again, contact orders@schiit.com if you got one from us in the last 30 days, and we'll take care of you.

K.Jack

I just got the Bose QC35 and it feels tight on my head after a few hours. How do I make it looser?

Stretch it out.

Dear GAF

Mr Headphones is tempting me right now.

Help me be strong. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's. I don't need any Ether Flow's. I don't need any Ether C Flow's.

What's your current set? If you have a 2Qute, you must have something really good.

What's your current set? If you have a 2Qute, you must have something really good.

I'm still rocking these which I've been using for like half a decade every day

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/denon2/7000.html

Picked these up recently for an open ear upgrade; they're solid.

http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

Still have my HD650s which I don't really use too much anymore. Having some hinge issues with my D7000s after all the years of wear and tear so I'm thinking about finding something to replace them with. I might just do one of the Mass Drop Fostex's as those are a similar sound (they made Denon's headphones for them). Or I might look at the higher-end Fostex with the detachable cables...or the aforementioned Ether line. It's just hard when you have no way to hear them for yourself, you know?

matmanx1

I currently have a Fulla 2 to use with my Sennheiser HD 650.

Will I get noticeable improvements if I get the Magni 3?

I'm tempted to say yes, some improvement, but then you would also need to add a DAC as well since the Magni is an amp only.

And for anyone who's looking at the new Magni 3 I would say to give a very strong consideration to the Vali 2 since it is just $149 now. The tube magic is real in that amp and because it is a hybrid design it still gets a long well with pretty much any headphone that you want to throw at it.

And props to Schiit for the pricedrop on what was already a great value at $169 and for refunding those of us who bought within the last 30 days. I sent my email last night and when I woke up and checked my email this morning they had already emailed me back and sent my refund via Paypal.

HiResDes

I could connect the Magni to the Fulla 2.
I was thinking since you already have a decent dac in the Fulla you could try out something a little more adventurous and possibly even more perfect for your 650 in something like the Little Dot MKII or the Xduoo TA-02 of wanted to save a little money.

xezuru

I was thinking of upping my setup into midfi for 65% competitive gaming 35% music, so I've been looking at the AD2000X for around that 500USD budget. No idea what other things are in range with fantastic audio positioning, semi considered 7XX but I don't know the DACs i would use because I would need fiber input for console usage, and I heard some ups and downs about the build quality, any ideas are welcome.

Headphone Priorities (*/10): Comfort(9), Build Quality(9), Object Positioning/Gaming(9), Low Power Usage(4), Bright-Neutral Leaning(3)

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was thinking of upping my setup into midfi for 65% competitive gaming 35% music, so I've been looking at the AD2000X for around that 500USD budget. No idea what other things are in range with fantastic audio positioning, semi considered 7XX but I don't know the DACs i would use because I would need fiber input for console usage, and I heard some ups and downs about the build quality, any ideas are welcome.

Headphone Priorities (*/10): Comfort(9), Build Quality(9), Object Positioning/Gaming(9), Low Power Usage(4), Bright-Neutral Leaning(3)

AKG 712s certainly hit high almost on all counts

- super light and comfortable
- decent build quality
- insane soundscape / positioning
- don’t know about power usage
- quite neutral, if not bright

I think they are phenomenal value for money, definitethe best gaming headset I have tried and great for music too. The only things you might find a drawback is that they are open, and orange.

maven

Anyone got an opinion on / some experience with the headamp pico amplifiers? They're up on massdrop again for a significant discount.

I'm considering the pico power for work / travel. Sounds like it won't cope with planars, so I'll probably grab a pair of senn hd650 to leave at the office.

danthefan

Any recommendations for either a bluetooth or USB headset for my PC? Will be multi-use, so gaming and media, though a mic probably isn't that important.

Was looking at these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEELSERI...387581487?clk_rvr_id=1315599761410&rmvSB=true

There's also these ones, they're branded as Xbox One but I assume they'd work with my PC, are there different models of Astro A50 with different specs? Because these seem fairly cheap to me? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4641207/Trail/searchtext>ASTRO+A50.htm

This is roughly my price range, could go a bit more expensive though. Thanks.

matmanx1

Anyone got an opinion on / some experience with the headamp pico amplifiers? They're up on massdrop again for a significant discount.

I'm considering the pico power for work / travel. Sounds like it won't cope with planars, so I'll probably grab a pair of senn hd650 to leave at the office.

I have heard good things and they seem to have a good rep although I have no personal experience so take that advice with a grain of salt.

My Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's are currently dying. They have been the best buds I've ever had with good sound and isolation, but they only lasted me a year as I have 2 hours of commute every day and they get jostled a lot, so the connector is a bit dodgy now.

Can anyone recommend me buds of the same quality but more robust? Preferably with a volume control and pause/play button compatible with android, but it's not a necessity.

maven

I have heard good things and they seem to have a good rep although I have no personal experience so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks. Headamp seems well regarded, although most of the reviews I could find are of his
much
higher end stuff.

I'll probably pull the trigger. Seems like a good deal for a pretty powerful portable amp. The dragonfly red seems to be a popular dac to pair with it. Rip wallet.

andylsun

Thanks. Headamp seems well regarded, although most of the reviews I could find are of his
much
higher end stuff.

I'll probably pull the trigger. Seems like a good deal for a pretty powerful portable amp. The dragonfly red seems to be a popular dac to pair with it. Rip wallet.

Won’t the dragonfly red do both DAC and amp duties? Which planer are you trying to drive?

Edit: ok pico Power is much more powerful than the amp in the red.

maven

Won’t the dragonfly red do both DAC and amp duties? Which planer are you trying to drive?

Edit: ok pico Power is much more powerful than the amp in the red.

Yeah. Pico Power is much more powerful. More voltage swing than current, which apparently make sure it fine for high impedance cans, but bad for planars.

I've got LCD-3's at home (driven by a magni/modi 2u stack lol), but those are about as far from portable (or even transportable) as you can get.

Blitzhex

I'm looking for a sort-of portable closed isolating headphone for gaming and music that can be driven off phone and laptop. I have the k7xx and thx00 which are both perfect headphones in their own categories, but they don't isolate and and aren't portable or durable.
I use those headphones on my desktop, but I'm looking for something for my laptop/phone+travel, that isn't too much of a downgrade from the stuff I have.

Looking at meze 99 classic/neo right now, also has a built in mic. What do you guys think?

matmanx1

I'm looking for a sort-of portable closed isolating headphone for gaming and music that can be driven off phone and laptop. I have the k7xx and thx00 which are both perfect headphones in their own categories, but they don't isolate and and aren't portable or durable.
I use those headphones on my desktop, but I'm looking for something for my laptop/phone+travel, that isn't too much of a downgrade from the stuff I have.

Looking at meze 99 classic/neo right now, also has a built in mic. What do you guys think?

I've owned a Meze and liked it although I actually prefer the Emu Purpleheart for a small, closed back headphone that has great sound. The Meze is built far better and has better materials but (if you can find one - it was a Massdrop exclusive) the Emu Purpleheart is cheap, lightweight and sounds far better than its price would indicate.

NotSelf

PM3 never tried them but there advertise as a portable on-the-go headphone there's a Loaner Program on headfi to try out.

K.Jack

I on't see myself ever jumping down the rabbit hole, of thinking the USB gen is making a significant impact.

I'm torn between getting the Audioengine AE5+ as my speaker replacement or going all out for the KEF LS50 Wireless

Did you mean A5+? I was unable to find the AE5+ model.

Anyways, I have the KEF LS50, the original version (non-powered), not the wireless one, and I've auditioned the Audioengine A5+ (my brother bought them).

The A5+, compared to the LS50 sounds (and looks) like a joke, a toy. IMO they aren't in the same league at all (not to mention price-wise).

The LS50 are awesome, simply awesome.

JLG-

What are some good headphones to listen to shoegaze. Like Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine for example??

Budget $100-200.

wilflare

Did you mean A5+? I was unable to find the AE5+ model.

Anyways, I have the KEF LS50, the original version (non-powered), not the wireless one, and I've auditioned the Audioengine A5+ (my brother bought them).

The A5+, compared to the LS50 sounds (and looks) like a joke, a toy. IMO they aren't in the same league at all (not to mention price-wise).

The LS50 are awesome, simply awesome.

ah yes the A5+! my bad on the typo.
I can get the A5+ for a good price here and the point is to replace my buzzing AegoM (they are like 10+ year old)

so it's either I go for that or go for broke with the LS50. I was thinking of getting the passive LS50 but I doubt the Schiit Stack will be able to drive them well?

ty_hot

What should my friend get:

up to 70-80 eur max
bluetooth headphone
over-ear
closed back
not have a 'rounded design' (the normal sony desing, for example)

He is going to use it only at home to listen to random videos / tutorials (he is learning how to code and has a newborn in the house).

Because he is not listening to music or having any 'real' use, I guess the most important thing would be the battery life and how it looks.

Any help is appreciated

maven

I can get the A5+ for a good price here and the point is to replace my buzzing AegoM (they are like 10+ year old)

so it's either I go for that or go for broke with the LS50. I was thinking of getting the passive LS50 but I doubt the Schiit Stack will be able to drive them well?

The schiit stack (unless you're talking a ragnarok) definitely won't drive speakers. Preamp only.

HiResDes

You should check out goodwill online auction they have some great speakers for cheap if you know what to look for and are willing to do little things like foam and or capacitor replacement. What's your budget anyway for the price of those LS50s you could buy The Super MMG which consists of two towers and a subwoofer.

There are also great Bookshelf speakers in the $500 range like the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and JBL 530 or even towers like the Chane A5, EMP E55TI, or HTD Level Three.

As far as driving them goes im currently using a Behringer A500 and a NAD preamp together I only spent about $260 and the Behringer gas been able to drive just about anything. If you're really on a budget you can score great amplifiers from goodwill too - https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/43743774

Also if you're just gonna go the powered route I'd consider the JBL LSR308 over the A5

Top Bottom