• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For bands whose name starts with "The" I've been enjoying I See Seaweed by The Drones, and The Odds by The Evens. I don't find the albums to be wall-to-wall awesome, but overall they've been rubbing me the right way. =) Anyone else given them a listen?

Never heard of them. Links?

For bands whose name starts with "The" I've been enjoying I See Seaweed by The Drones, and The Odds by The Evens. I don't find the albums to be wall-to-wall awesome, but overall they've been rubbing me the right way. =) Anyone else given them a listen?

I listened to The Evens ages ago, I liked what I heard though. And they're an Ian McKaye band which is always a plus.

I think they might've been the fist McKaye band I actually listened to, which amuses me.

If this thread is anything like PopGAF, then I expect the thread to fill with Hayley Williams gifs faster than you can say ninjaboi.

some time ago I checked the thread about paramore's latest album. Dear God. It was a gif-fest.

This thread is great. Listened to and enjoyed most of the bands mentioned in here.

Recently I've been getting into a lot of synth pop/indietronica/whateveryouwannacallit. Bands like:

The Naked and Famous
Passion Pit
Capital Cities
Bastille
Parade of Lights
Smallpools

Any one else obsessed with this subgenre?

I like synthpop but probably not your kind of synthpop. I don't know any of those bands except Bastille (which for some reason seem popular here in italy) and I don't like them at all. I've heard three singles, one is at least catchy (Pompeii), the other two are less than mediocre.

This thread makes me want to listen to Johnny Marr's album, thought it was okay on first listen but you guys seem to really like it

gutshot

I like synthpop but probably not your kind of synthpop. I don't know any of those bands except Bastille (which for some reason seem popular here in italy) and I don't like them at all. I've heard three singles, one is at least catchy (Pompeii), the other two are less than mediocre.

What synthpop bands are you listening to? I'm always open to new music.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Here's another recommendation for you. Thank me later :) Full album out next month!

Anyway, if you're looking for good rock from this year, Savages' Silence Yourself is very much worth your while.
Savages-Silence-Yourself-e1363729038628.jpg

And they're incredible live, so go see them if you ever have the chance to.

Here's another recommendation for you. Thank me later :) Full album out next month!

Anyway, if you're looking for good rock from this year, Savages' Silence Yourself is very much worth your while.

This album is just insane, pure post-punk. So disappointed their only gig here is a festival and it's completely out of the way for me

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This album is just insane, pure post-punk. So disappointed their only gig here is a festival and it's completely out of the way for me

I've seen them a few days ago at a festival and their gig was the best of the 3 days for me. The raw energy and intensity they put out is impressive. They just give it their all, for every song. When I saw they're still touring this fall, I immediately bought tickets for an october show. Need to see them again asap.

Hm, so I love EVERYTHING that Radiohead has done (currently my fav song of theirs). Every album they've done is great. I also love

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Ooo, hadn't heard Savages before. Not too shabby. =)

denx

This thread is great. Listened to and enjoyed most of the bands mentioned in here.

Recently I've been getting into a lot of synth pop/indietronica/whateveryouwannacallit. Bands like:

The Naked and Famous
Passion Pit
Capital Cities
Bastille
Parade of Lights
Smallpools

I've never been too much into synthpop. I really like The Postal Service's Give Up, but there isn't another synthpop album that I've really liked during the last decade. I listened Passion Pit first album and thought it was... kinda OK I guess? I haven't really looked too much into the genre though, so I'm talking from a position of ignorance. Any synthpop album you would recommend?

EDIT: I love Oneothrix Point Never stuff and Animal Collective's Meeriweather Post Pavilion and Fall Be Kind. Don't know if that counts. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting more synthpop stuff.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I cant stand that one Savages song that everyone plays the shit out of

HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS
HUSBANDS

And that's why I haven't listened to the radio since 1997 or watched TV since 2005. I avoid a bunch of stuff being over played (among other things).

faridmon

This thread makes me want to listen to Johnny Marr's album, thought it was okay on first listen but you guys seem to really like it

It didn't grab me on my first or second listen either. But the longer I kept listening to it, the better it got

Also, that Savages Album is alright if you are into Post-punk, nothing entirely original nor impressive.

I know it's sort of a vague umbrella term, but I'm using it any way. Does any body here know of any good Post-Rock albums? Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, etc.

Davey Cakes

The Naked and Famous
Passion Pit
Capital Cities
Bastille
Parade of Lights
Smallpools

Roisin Murphy and her prior group, Moloko. Pretty enjoyable synth pop and trip-hop music. Gotta stick to the middle two albums for an entry point on the latter, but both of Roisin's solo works are viable.

I'm not huge on these genres but they've grown on me over time.

As for alternative (rock?) music in general, I've been listening to Elbow. They are pretty good. Best recommendation I can give is for Leaders of the Free World, their third album. It's a real grower.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I honestly haven't decided how I feel about the upcoming Dismemberment Plan album. I have a feeling I'm going to go into it expecting Is Terrified or Emergency & I and get something more like Changes.

....Still buying tickets for when they show up in December.

Also, this broadcast on Grooveshark has been saving my workdays for a little while now. Guy's really good about mixing it up and taking suggestions, without doing just the radio hits that the bigger broadcasts keep doing. I can go days without having to hear Lordi.

Davey Cakes

Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock

images

I'm gutted that i only heard these a couple of years ago. Seven awesome albums ranging between Riot Grrl style punk, Rock and Indie. Infectious melodies and some fantastic, full on vocals.
Sleater-Kinney walked into my life last year (or it may have been late 2011, I forget). I actually listened to Wild Flag (Carrie's new band) first, which eventually lead me back to S-K.

They're probably one of my favorite bands now. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the first three albums but the last four are terrific. Can't pick a favorite though. You have to adjust to both Corin's and Carrie's vocal styles but once you're there, you're there. Carrie's guitar work is fantastic, too.

I also happen to like Corin Tucker's second solo album, Kill My Blues. It's different but it has its moments for an indie rock record.

Sleater-Kinney actually inspired me to write my final research paper in college on the Riot Grrrl movement.

I like Bjork and her followers, so bands with a female vocalist or solo project by female singer-songwriters, usually with dark and/or experimental leanings

some of my favourites:
. Bat For Lashes (not exactly synthpop, but really an excellent pop artist) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZHah-c0hQ
. The Knife (swedish brother-sister duo, came on their own on their later albums: Silent Shout, dark synthpop with an unique sound with roots in techno, and Shaking The Habitual, a crazy, hostile album but also a very good one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10F0ezCTIQ
. Fever Ray (solo project by The Knife singer: even darker, more atmospheric, with a big trip-hop influence) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFb5z3kUSQ
. Austra (from Toronto, two albums: Feel It Break, darker and colder; Olympia, brighter, almost dance-pop, more strongly influenced by house) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODyWKkDBb4U
. Zola Jesus (also not strictly synthpop, more something like "industrial-goth-pop", and the Bjork influence is less explicit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY9WUZZrTpw

and also another mostly electronic album with a female vocalist that I like, despite having very little to do with the above ones: It's Blitz! by Yeah Yeah Yeahs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzfTPp4moA

Davey Cakes

Just gave these two another listen:

61O4Z-FDAoL._SY300_.jpg

77313601moloko-things-to-make-and-do-jpg.jpg

The first is more trip-hop, the second is more of a trip-hop/pop mix. I think I may prefer the former but it's tough; each album has some great moments. Lots of bits of funky, poppy, and trippy, with just the right amount of attitude and confidence balanced with Roisin's more sarcastic vocal qualities.

This is definitely the kind of music that people would appreciate if they grew up with video game tunes, especially those in games like Earthbound/Mother 3.

NinjaBoiX

Speaking of Paramore where are they now? Didn't two guys leave or something?
Josh Farro left to form Novel American, replaced by Taylor York on lead guitar, and Zac Farro left to from HalfNoize, to be replaced by Ilan Rubin (NIN) on drums.

The new album is great, if even more pop-centric than their old stuff. But I love their new record.

I'm going to see them next month with some BritGAF peeps, it's going to be wicked!

someexcitablehayleygif.gif

NinjaBoiX

Paramore shouldn't even really be discussed here...
I'm simply replying to a post you pretentious muso!

Anyway, it was arguably a more relevant post than a wall of cover art, some of which tells you nothing about the who the artist is.

I see your point to be fair, but yeah, who cares!

MusicGAF, serious business.

Edit: Someone mentioned Bastille too. Call the cops.

faridmon

Few years later, and LCD Soundsystem remains one of the best bands in the last few years. Can't stop listening to them to this day.

Controversial opinion:

This is Happening > LCS Soundsystem > Sound of Silver

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Few years later, and LCD Soundsystem remains one of the best bands in the last few years. Can't stop listening to them to this day.

Controversial opinion:

I agree. There stuff is great. I can't decide which album I like best, though. My opinion on that constantly changes.

Wound up digging up the first CSS album for the first time in a while, and I still really like it. Subsequent releases are very hit and miss, but that first one is fantastic. =)

Mikeside

Controversial opinion:

Ouch. I'd go:

Sound of Silver > > > > This is Happening = LCD Soundsystem.

I have a serious ear-boner for Sound of Silver.

Top Bottom