• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

I shit you not I got stuck in a traffic jam for 2 1/2 hours game time. I took screens if you want to see, lol.

If you find yourself in a traffic jam that doesn't seem to be going anywhere you can save and reload the game and traffic will be cleared. I don't usually like to do that but sometimes it's necessary when the ai does stupid stuff.

how are you guys getting 360 controllers configured like that? The triggers dont work in this game for me :( So i just end up playing with keyboard. I have a wired controller.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For anyone interested in the Driving Force GT, it semi-regularly goes up for sale on the daily sale type websites if you don't feel comfortable paying $100.

I got mine about 2 years ago for $70 and I'm pretty sure it goes down to around ~$55 whenever its up for sale.

i figured it out..you had to set it the throttle & brake in wheel menu. I was trying to set it in the keyboard menu.

I played for hours with the keyboard it was fine, just wanna try the controller now.

Addnan

Those with a steering wheel make sure to enable to 900 degrees rotation. Otherwise Windows 8 at least defaults to around 200. I remember when I first got my wheel I was confused as to why the whole wheel would spin when I just move it 90 degrees to either side.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So when I made a profile I picked Renault for no real reason in complete ignorance, then I named my company Freight Motorsports just to be silly. Later on I go to the Renault dealer and what do I see?

8a9mlrS.jpg

LOL this is awesome.

Small movements. When learning to back up small trailers when I was younger what helped me is to give a little back and forth wiggle on the wheel to get a sense of the movement of the trailer as I was backing it up. It made changing the direction of the trailer a little easier for me for some reason. It worked when I did it in ETS2 as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those with a steering wheel make sure to enable to 900 degrees rotation. Otherwise Windows 8 at least defaults to around 200. I remember when I first got my wheel I was confused as to why the whole wheel would spin when I just move it 90 degrees to either side.

How do I enable that?

Addnan

How do I enable that?

I only know how to do it for Logitech wheel. Open up the Logitech profiler, should have installed with the drivers. Hit devices>game controllers>properties>settings then change that to 900 degrees. If its a different wheel the option will probably be in the control panel somewhere. The settings pop up is a windows settings screen.

Sye d'Burns

I bought Euro Truck Simulator 1 because it was half the price of my morning coffee and runs on Mac.

It's not the prettiest but ETS2 runs on my 2010 mac mini in 1920x1200 with no real problems (lag, etc) at all.

I bought ETS1 also. Sometimes, I'd just rather not reboot.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I only know how to do it for Logitech wheel. Open up the Logitech profiler, should have installed with the drivers. Hit devices>game controllers>properties>settings then change that to 900 degrees. If its a different wheel the option will probably be in the control panel somewhere. The settings pop up is a windows settings screen.

Awesome thanks, I'll try it out.

So I just parked the truck perfectly on my first attempt right now, awesome.

Also, a little tip, if you get the trailer lined up perfectly but your actual truck isn't, you should unhitch with "T", then line up your truck and back up to the cargo, rehitch and just smoothly reverse into the spot rather than finagling to try and straighten your truck out without realigning the cargo.

Dice

I have my 360 controller set up like this.

7EEE3Gh.jpg

A wheel would still be awesome, but this is way better than the default settings.

OrangeOak

I tried a demo and bought full game after 10 minutes with it :D.
This is really great and relaxing game.Parking is a little hard at first but Im getting better and better.
Just driving and listening to a radio is a lot of fun.
Also it plays really well with 360 controller.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuck yeah, parked that fat ass. The music is great. I had the lowest setting apparently, went to the graphics menu and out it to high, makes the world of difference.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Awesome to see this get a sale. Have played this since before it came to steam and it's a really relaxing way of spending some time to listen to music, podcasts, radio or just diesel music.

This is their first game that finally fixed controls with a controller (before it would at random crash...), but I really need a wheel because the automatic gearbox coding and especially the automatic clutch suck. The AI also needs to learn how to merge and I really wish the motorways started doing the same as the autobahn and warn a million times before the road split (this is what an exit looks like). Otherwise it is pretty awesome. If you disable the speedlimiter you'll notice that the roads are surprisingly twisty and be super careful in the rain with poor visibility and grip. 140-150 on the straights while overtaking everyone is fun though :p

I wish the other cars acted liked German drivers do on the autobahn (if you sit in the fast lane and don't complete your pass you will get honking horns/flashing lights and probably some passes on your right side).

paulorsjr

I'm really enjoying this game everyday at home after work.

For those who doesn't want to receive speeding tickets without knowing the camera locations, try this.
http://ets2-mods.com/ets-2-mods/1327-euro-truck-simulator-2-mods-camera-anti-speed
This pinpoints the camera locations all over the map/gps (no sound notification, though).

There are some other cool mods that turn the game more realistic without breaking it.

Project Realism
http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3277

ETS Essentials Mod
http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2630

The mod community in this game is great!

Regards

For those who doesn't want to receive speeding tickets without knowing the camera locations, try this.
http://ets2-mods.com/ets-2-mods/1327-euro-truck-simulator-2-mods-camera-anti-speed
This pinpoints the camera locations all over the map/gps (no sound notification, though).

There are some other cool mods that turn the game more realistic without breaking it.

Project Realism

ETS Essentials Mod

Regards

Thanks, those are exactly the type of mods that I am looking for. I'll give both of them a shot.

cilonen

Hi, I'm cilonen and I endorse this thread.

Seriously folks, the game is superb. If you're receptive to the basic premise of going on a road trip in a big rig, then it invokes that magical roleplaying space like MInecraft, or even playing with Lego as a kid where most of the game is taking place in your imagination but the physical component is pitched 'just so' so you never quite lose interest.

It gets dangerously addictive.

Oh, and:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/night-drive-euro-truck-simulator-2/

Xater

500k credit after the first week of work for me. Working jobs to save up to your own company would just take forever.

Dice

Your game looks way prettier than mine at max settings.
Are you playing in Direct X mode? The regular version is crap and I don't even know what OpenGL looks like because it crashes when I try to adjust the graphic settings on it. Even with Direct X mode I have to disable process monitoring in RadeonPro or the game will crash on boot.

Project Realism

ETS Essentials Mod

Regards

Man, I installed these and it seems like there are no more jobs listed. I have slept but still nothing.
Edit: I narrowed it down to the realistic logos that where causing the issues.

Watevaman

Trying to park is frustrating.

It is, but a bit of advice from someone who has had to park trailers (albeit not 40+ ft ones) in real life: use your mirrors. If your trailer is on the right and you want to straighten up, turn your wheel right. It seems like common sense but a lot of people don't seem to make the connection. Also, try to line up your trailer as best as possible before backing into it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are you playing in Direct X mode? The regular version is crap and I don't even know what OpenGL looks like because it crashes when I try to adjust the graphic settings on it. Even with Direct X mode I have to disable process monitoring in RadeonPro or the game will crash on boot.

Nail on the head. That was it. Thanks, game looks WAY better now.

Paches

It is, but a bit of advice from someone who has had to park trailers (albeit not 40+ ft ones) in real life: use your mirrors. If your trailer is on the right and you want to straighten up, turn your wheel right. It seems like common sense but a lot of people don't seem to make the connection. Also, try to line up your trailer as best as possible before backing into it.

This is really good advice and something I started doing a couple tries ago. Even if you have to pull in to traffic a bit before straightening all the way. Also someone above suggested to me not to oversteer, which was a big problem for me. I just make slight corrections and eventually get it in there.

Dice

Backing up is way easier with a wheel because you can intuitively know how your wheels are aligned and adjust them exactly without looking at them. Other control formats make that abstract, so you have to visually monitor them and the cargo at the same time which is much harder. It helps to use the look-out-the-window view, but you have to be backing into it from the correct side for that to work. I feel like something about turning a wheel makes the change of directions more natural as well. Watch/hear this guy back up using a wheel and you'll see: http://youtu.be/XN2uOCDqg98?t=7m30s

I should pick up a wheel... but I just got a $150 arcade stick... I don't know how I would get a wheel mounted with my setup anyway...

Peru

Shit, want to get on this sweet stuff so badly - long road trips by myself are something of a fantasy of mine and as a kid, for some reason, I dreamt of a regular traffic car simulator being released. Problem is I live away from my home, neither wheel nor controller with me, so I have to wait.

Stitch

Gold Member
Even with Direct X mode I have to disable process monitoring in RadeonPro or the game will crash on boot.

Copy this into your launch line
-nodx9ex
Then you can use RadeonPro.
I don't know what it does but it doesn't look or run worse.

paulorsjr

Man, I installed these and it seems like there are no more jobs listed. I have slept but still nothing.
Edit: I narrowed it down to the realistic logos that where causing the issues.

It's because some mods try to overlap the other acting on the same purpose, but you already figured that out... I was busy playing, lol.

I noticed that the camera anti speed mod stopped working under this new steam patch, gotta find (or wait) the revised mod.

Top Bottom