• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Tell you? I'll SHOW YOU!

GY15skj.jpg

Nothing egregious, just due its first inspection as this bike is 3 years old next month. Also I have a rear brake that actually works now! That was actually not too expensive compared to Triumph prices, though considering it's basically an oil service it's still a lot of money to preserve a full service history

Afraid the light was fading so I didn't get a very good picture of the Monster, but here you go (I also got a couple shots of some blokes new Multistrada 950)

The multi looks great from the front, but not so much from the side IMO. I want to get a test ride on it this year...

Hmm, yeah 205's not that bad I suppose if you consider that it's the filter, a bunch of oil, labor and a Ducati mark-up. Bike's looking good though. And it's nice to have it completely ready for the new season. (I made an appointment for my new Lightning as well. Figured it wouldn't be bad to have it done by the shop, it being a fairly young bike and all. Plus, we're too busy with the project anyway.)

Is that the lower capacity version of the Multi by the way? It's hard to tell.

Again, once you're in the market for an ADV bike, make sure you try an XB12x or xt as well. Preferably an '08 or '09 version (though that matters only when you're actually buying).

Dougald

Yep, it's the new, smaller 950. Its physically quite similar to the 1200 though. The seat seemed a bit lower but I'm not sure if it was stock

I wouldn't mind an XB12X actually, but only in yellow (you picked the best colour)

OraleeWey

Your bike is looking good Doug. I personally like the yellow rear shock. I know not many people like the shock to be a completely different color but I'm easy to please. Did you match the license plate with it?

Dougald

Your bike is looking good Doug. I personally like the yellow rear shock. I know not many people like the shock to be a completely different color but I'm easy to please. Did you match the license plate with it?

Thanks, I like the contrast as well. Luckily, British rear plates are almost that exact shade of yellow, so it's matched by default! I like the green shocks you sometimes see on Kawasaki bikes too, though I don't think that'd go with Ducati so well.

Hoping for some good weather this weekend, the bike is now all set for the year as far as I'm concerned

OraleeWey

Thanks, I like the contrast as well. Luckily, British rear plates are almost that exact shade of yellow, so it's matched by default! I like the green shocks you sometimes see on Kawasaki bikes too, though I don't think that'd go with Ducati so well.

Hoping for some good weather this weekend, the bike is now all set for the year as far as I'm concerned

Happy riding! Don't forget to snap some pics whenever possible if possible!

On another somewhat related topic, someone turned a KLR650 into a diesel engine and made it 2WD.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/wild-file-turbo-diesel-2wd-kawasaki-klr-650-custom-motorcycle

I wonder how the 2WD would feel like? Also, why aren't there any diesel motorcycles? That KLR can get up to 100mpg. With over 6 gallons on the tank, that's just over 600 miles!!! I'd be able to go from Virginia to Georgia with that mileage.

Dougald

I swear I saw a custom 2WD GS build last year too. I bet it would probably be better for off-road, but seems like over-engineering for everyday use

I really caught the biking bug again yesterday but as the weather outside is ~60mph winds... No riding for me

In other news, here is the new Hesketh Valiant. 210bhp, 217ftlb of torque, 2100cc.

KTpjpX4.jpg

VyYiYh4.jpg

Unfortunately, probably another bike in the long list of tiny British manufacturers which appear, buy a historical name, produce about 6 bikes and then go bankrupt. Sure is pretty, though

Link to story

That seat looks like it belongs in a rolls royce.

That was not too bad for a service, mot and brake fix up. Hope its now ready for the summer.

Yes today is just mad. The old storm dorris is hitting us hard.

Hate to say it, but it's eerily reminiscent of the fly screens on the old tube frame
Buells
. That wasn't really a spoiler though, was it :p.

Dougald

If they're using Rizoma parts as stock, that explains the £50k price tag

Nice looking screen though. Would probably look alright on the Monster as well.

I do like that brushed aluminium look. It looks like the screen fits on the R ninet sport but not the scrambler. I will have to go and ask the guys

nico1982

Also, why aren't there any diesel motorcycles?
There have been a few military models, mostly to simplify the logistic burden by using the same fuel as other military vehicles. Diesel engines are bigger, heavier and with far less specific power density than gasoline engines (today supersports have roughly 200 HP/liter without turbo). It is the exact opposite of what you want on a bike.
Mileage is not an issue with the right lump: a few of the most recent 700-800cc twins sip fuel at 25-30 km/l.

Was 43F this morning here in Maine so I had to ride in, them's the rules, no matter how much snow is still left. Lord but the salt/sand/dirt is a mess though, my poor helmet.

DRZ took a while to not stall out with the throttle half-in, and for the first few miles it felt like it was missing some power shifting up, but after ten minutes it seemed right as rain. Which it is now doing.

drz400sm-2017-winter-yuck.jpg

Pity I didn't get a picture last week, snowpack was twice as high.

OraleeWey

I just stumbled into this video. The incident happens within the first two minutes. A kid just runs into the road and didn't see a right turning motorcycle and had to drop the bike to avoid hitting the kid. This would be devastating to me if it happened to myself. Jeez.

https://youtu.be/Nfk7edaCS-8

There have been a few military models, mostly to simplify the logistic burden by using the same fuel as other military vehicles. Diesel engines are bigger, heavier and with far less specific power density than gasoline engines (today supersports have roughly 200 HP/liter without turbo). It is the exact opposite of what you want on a bike.
Mileage is not an issue with the right lump: a few of the most recent 700-800cc twins sip fuel at 25-30 km/l.

I see. Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know.

Watevaman

More progress on the rex today. Bled the rear and got a nice, firm pedal. Then I spent an hour bleeding the front brakes (from empty) and still can't get a firm lever. Read a bunch of tips so if I have time tomorrow I will try some out and maybe I'll run and get one of those Mityvac things.

Dougald

More progress on the rex today. Bled the rear and got a nice, firm pedal. Then I spent an hour bleeding the front brakes (from empty) and still can't get a firm lever. Read a bunch of tips so if I have time tomorrow I will try some out and maybe I'll run and get one of those Mityvac things.

If you're doing it yourself without any help, I can't recommend speed bleeders enough. I have a vacuum pump but speed bleeders are much easier. Of course the only problem is you need to buy them for every bike you get!

Nice of my BMW dash to remind me that my 6000 mile service is coming up in 600 miles. It's basically flashing £££ signs at me.

Off to test ride the Triumph Bobber next weekend when my wife takes the Street Triple in for service. Should be fun.

6k miles already? You're definitely not a sunday rider! Whats involved in the 6k service?
Yeah it's 90% commuting unfortunately. This spring/summer will definitely be some decent UK trips.

Conversely my Thruxton just past 350 miles and I've had it since August. I need to book that in for it's recall even before the first service!

I can't seem to find exactly what's included in the 6k service but I originally thought it included valve check but seems that's actually at 12k. So it might not be as bad as I first thought.

Oh this is might take on the BMW XR on price and fun without the vibration. This is the Yamaha MT-10 Touring Edition

http://i.imgur.com/YbRXz2k.jpg

Shit, that's really nice.

If my bikes ever permanently die on me, that's what I would get as a replacement.

Yeah it's 90% commuting unfortunately. This spring/summer will definitely be some decent UK trips.

No matter, even if it's just commuting, still good to put some real miles on a bike. I really don't get enough time in myself.

What's the best bike in the Yamaha sr400's class? I want a small(cheap) bike with old school looks and modern reliability to go about town on. THOUGHTS?

I owned a Shadow VT600C for a few years, I loved that bike. I had a 1993 model from about 2010-2013, very reliable, easy to work on, cruised on the freeway pretty well. It was a smaller frame an easier to ride than the Shadow 750. With taller gearing than mine had (stock) and a better seat it would make an awesome cross country ride. They only made it till 2008 :( But that means you can get them cheap!

What's the best bike in the Yamaha sr400's class? I want a small(cheap) bike with old school looks and modern reliability to go about town on. THOUGHTS?

Hmm, actually I'm not sure. All the alternatives I can think of are either very hard to find or have more displacement and are more expensive or do not have old school looks.

I will say what I will always say when asked a question like this: maybe try a Ducati Monster 620, 695, 696 or S2R800 as well. Not sure whether you were planning on buying new. But for the price of that SR400, low mileage examples of those bikes should be within range and are likely to be better sorted in terms of brakes, tires and suspension (not to mention a juicy twin engine to go with them). Plus, with the exception of the 696, you could say they have old school looks or at the very least a look that will never ever go out of style.

Lot of great suggestions thanks everyone. Sadly that cb400 is not sold in the states it seems? Anyway gonna look at suzuki tu250x, Yamaha sr400, and some of the Ducati suggested. My concern about the Ducati is reliability compared the small Japanese bikes as I tend to be a bit lackadaisical about general maintenance.

I would make sure that - if you're seriously looking at a Ducati - buy one off of a dealer or a person who has a full maintenance history to go with it. I wouldn't however worry too much about their reliability (with bikes produced after '04 or '05). Especially the air cooled ones are fine (owned two myself, never a problem). Late model liquid cooled ones are also fine, very long maintenance intervals. (Only Ducati I did have some problems with was an earlier liquid cooled bike (an '03 998), still I forgave it because it was so beautiful and had the decency to die on me after it arrived at the dealer where I traded it in.)

If, like you say, you are a bit lackadaisical about maintenance on the whole, Honda has a reputation for being to handle an absence of love. Could be just talk though, never tried this myself.

Dougald

Any Ducati made after the Audi buyout is pretty rock solid in terms of reliability (but ask me about questionable design choices in build quality). Parts are the expensive part, but they're not really any worse than any other European marque. Service intervals on the post-2007 bikes are almost reasonable.

I think the problem you're going to have if you want something retro in that cc range is there really isn't much. I assume you can't go new/nearly new as you said cheap, otherwise I'd have recommended the Yamaha XSR700 as a good beginner bike. There's also the older Triumph Bonneville 800s which are really quite gentle on the power (it was my first bike). You'd be fine with either as long as you're getting some training first.

Or if you want a really cheap standard, get an old Suzuki GS500. Maybe not quite what you're looking for in the cool factor, but it's cool to other bikers, or at least me.

OraleeWey

Any Ducati made after the Audi buyout is pretty rock solid in terms of reliability (but ask me about questionable design choices in build quality). Parts are the expensive part, but they're not really any worse than any other European marque. Service intervals on the post-2007 bikes are almost reasonable.

I think the problem you're going to have if you want something retro in that cc range is there really isn't much. I assume you can't go new/nearly new as you said cheap, otherwise I'd have recommended the Yamaha XSR700 as a good beginner bike. There's also the older Triumph Bonneville 800s which are really quite gentle on the power (it was my first bike). You'd be fine with either as long as you're getting some training first.

Or if you want a really cheap standard, get an old Suzuki GS500. Maybe not quite what you're looking for in the cool factor, but it's cool to other bikers, or at least me.

My goodness. That Yamaha is such a beautiful bike.

However, the Yamaha XSR700 is not on the US market. We do have the Yamaha XSR900 though (the pictures above are XSR900). I couldn't find anything US wise for the Triumph Bonneville 800s. The Suzuki GS500 I was able to find for really cheap.

Dougald

However, the Yamaha XSR700 is not on the US market. We do have the Yamaha XSR900 though (the pictures above are XSR900). I couldn't find anything US wise for the Triumph Bonneville 800s. The Suzuki GS500 I was able to find for really cheap.

Dang, Europe and Japan get all the best model bikes clearly

The older Bonneville was definitely released stateside, might be listed as a Bonenville T100 (which confusingly now covers 3 different bikes). The one I'm talking about is the older, under-jetted carb'd bike. I would caution that it is a HEAVY bike when you're new to riding, so as a first bike some lessons are a must. The engine is very forgiving though and it's low enough to even get my 29" inside leg all the way down to the floor.

Here's my old one:

Welp. Found a great deal on Craigslist 2 hours away for a 2009 Honda CBR600RR ABS with only 1700 miles, pristine condition that I couldn't pass up. Picked it up this past Monday. Something leftover from my 08 600RR told me that this was the one.

I'm glad I saved a ton of money vs. a '17 R6, and have ABS on a clean, mostly stock bike. Only things that the owner did to it were add ASV levers and the Honda CF tank/gas cap/knee/tail protectors and an OEM seat cowl.

Will post pictures soon! Time to rebuy new gear...

Did a first shakedown of the new XB12Scg yesterday by the way. It was great, but it once again confirms that I really dislike Pirelli tires. Truly they are some slippery slidey bullshit excuses for tires. Ugh.

Bike is excellent though. It feels crisp and new.

Dougald

Only favour the previous owner of my Ducati did to me was swap those standard Pirellis for Pilot Road 4 tyres. Rock solid even in the cold last week

Yeah those tires are fantastic. Have them on the Uly as well. Looks like I might need to account for another set of them in the near future.

Watevaman

I borrowed a vacuum pump from a friend to help with my front brake bleed. Gotta find some time to use it. Been busy and only getting busier as it gets closer to spring. Can't wait for that first ride though.

Dougald

Mostly girlfriend stuff haha. A lot of warm weekends are spent going out somewhere or traveling out of state. Next 3 weekends are pretty busy.

The solution is to get her to ride

Unfortunately then you end up with a tag-along when you want to ride alone sometimes... but it's still worth it! My wife pouted for 4 years until I paid for her lessons, but we've had some great rides together since then

Thankfully my girl had an excellent time riding pillion on the bike last year so there's bound to be more of that in the upcoming season.

In other good news: I managed to sell the exhaust that I took off the M2 Cyclone to its next owner. Which is another 300 euro back in my pocket.

Oh yeah, and a quick project update:

Getting there. I figure one more day should do the trick. As you can see though, the current bars are a bit high, that's because it's originally off an M2 Cyclone. We used that because it looked better than the godawful LSL bars we took off the Ulysses (with those ridiculous looking risers). However, I managed to find the bars from an original XB Lightning so we'll probably put that on before we continue with the rest. Uh which, if I'm not forgetting anything should be this roughly:

- Finish nose section
- Fit indicators front and rear
- Fit license plate holder and license plate
- Install bracket that supports headlights
- Paint new short rear mudguard
- Install short rear mudguard (instead of the Uly thing that's on now)
- Install pulley cover
- Install airbox, airfilter and airboxcover
- Install exhaust and chin fairing
- Heat up and replace primary and engine oil + filter

Hmm, yeah so maybe it's more than a day's work still.

Watevaman

The solution is to get her to ride

Unfortunately then you end up with a tag-along when you want to ride alone sometimes... but it's still worth it! My wife pouted for 4 years until I paid for her lessons, but we've had some great rides together since then

She doesn't enjoy riding and I'll keep it that way since I don't like riding with passengers or really with anyone else. Motorcycling is my escape from stress.

Top Bottom