• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

T8SC

Lol. You got exactly the reaction you were fishing for. Well played.

Wasn't fishing. I was pointing out something that it seems others have wanted to say in the past but haven't.

Anyway, moving swiftly on ... Just been handed tomorrows route, tonight's recovery better go well and the weather better sort itself out too. Big storm approaching on Friday it seems and I have a "Reliability Ride" to do on Saturday ... Could be interesting.

Mascot

Wasn't fishing. I was pointing out something that it seems others have wanted to say in the past but haven't.

No, your very first post in this thread was to complain about the roadie-MTB balance while totally ignoring the friendly nature of the interactions, causing ill-feeling between long-standing members and hurling personal insults around. Fast forward a few months and totally out of the blue you just couldn't help doing exactly the same thing, presumably just to stir shit up again.

What did you really think would happen?

T8SC

No, your very first post in this thread was to complain about the roadie-MTB balance while totally ignoring the friendly nature of the interactions, causing ill-feeling between long-standing members and hurling personal insults around. Fast forward a few months and totally out of the blue you just couldn't help doing exactly the same thing, presumably just to stir shit up again.

What did you really think would happen?

Friendly nature you say, so why are others saying they agree with me but just didn't say anything in the past? Try looking at it from another angle, because it's not as you say judging by others' comments and that includes what was said by another member months ago when I threw my 2p in the mix to agree with them.

Anyway, I'm not replying to anymore of this, you can continue but I won't reply.

teepo

you guys really blew up over nothing (seriously) and it's not like he's exactly wrong. he isn't the first person to voice this complaint and i somewhat agree myself. the jimmie stuff has discouraged me in the past from posting in this thread even though i'm a regular and i'm sure it's preventing other gaffers from joining in on the discussion. it's partially why i advocated starting a new thread a few pages back. it's kind of hard to get a feel for this thread if you're a newcomer.

personally, it wasn't so much the jokes themselves that i had a problem with but the excessive amount of them that i found disheartening. it made the thread feel very clique and non-inclusive. i understand the jimmie shit is friendly in nature but it was often only one-way exchanges.

on the other hand, i don't really want to jovial nature of the thread to stop either because this is honestly my favorite thread on gaf and i consider us all friends. from here on out, we should do a better job of reading the room.

GVgsuSH.jpg
and if i know there is one thing we can all agree on is that this thread always needs more photos of bikes, regardless of type. if you don't post a photo of your bike in the next page or two, you lose posting privileges.

I'm way too indecisive about some inexpensive accessories and I'm hoping someone has confident recommendations so I can just buy these things and stop reading hundreds of Amazon reviews.

I have a Specialized Diverge.

I need:

1) Some lights for riding at dusk/dawn. No idea how many or which ones. I won't ride in real dark - just trying to not get hit by a car.

2) A mount for my iPhone 6

3) A little pouch thing for my keys and wallet that attaches to the bike and can easily come off when I lock it somewhere.

4) A mirror so I can see if a car is behind me without turning my head around

Thanks in advance!

Teggy

I'm way too indecisive about some inexpensive accessories and I'm hoping someone has confident recommendations so I can just buy these things and stop reading hundreds of Amazon reviews.

I need:

1) Some lights for riding at dusk/dawn. No idea how many or which ones. I won't ride in real dark - just trying to not get hit by a car.

3) A little pouch thing for my keys and wallet that attaches to the bike and can easily come off when I lock it somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

This is the mount I use. On the plus side it is waterproof and strong. On the downside your iPhone must be removed from the case before putting it in. There are a lot of simpler mounts if you aren't concerned with as much protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAG3LI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Addnan

I need:

Thanks in advance!

light: just go to your local bike shop and pick one out, if you just need to be seen then you don't need anything too special. I use these front: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIHGIYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Rear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TSRS0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do you have a saddle bag that you carry spare parts in? Can wrap keys in something and just stick it in there to avoid puncturing any tubes. Wallet will fit too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIAUAC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can't say I've ever used a mirror on my bike..

Thanks guys! Ordered and got Amazon's BIGTHANKS discount.

I'm hearing most serious cyclists don't use mirrors. Is that a weight thing? I was having to check if cars were behind me on my ride and it would be nice to just peek down and not spin my head around. If I were actually making a move into the lane I'd check without the mirror but sometimes I just want to know if someone is back there.

Laekon

Thanks guys! Ordered and got Amazon's BIGTHANKS discount.

I'm hearing most serious cyclists don't use mirrors. Is that a weight thing? I was having to check if cars were behind me on my ride and it would be nice to just peek down and not spin my head around. If I were actually making a move into the lane I'd check without the mirror but sometimes I just want to know if someone is back there.
It's about them being considered uncool/dorky.

I switched over to Zwift today. I know the structure of TR is better, but I don't ride on my trainer regularly enough to get those benefits. I think with the listed segments and competition at hills it'll help give me those surge moments.

T8SC

Storm Doris is going to land tomorrow, looks like it'll be the Wattbike for me, though should probably have a day off. Did 137.2 miles today with 15,500 ft of ascent and managed to stay dry all day, I think that's a first for a Winter ride this year.

Snowed like 15cm tonight, gonna be a shredding fatbike commute tomorrow! I hope I remember where the smooth ice parts are because they're now under snow.

Teggy

So my latest bit of ignorance is that you don't need new wheels to have bigger tires. Just tires and tubes? That certainly makes getting some wider tires for the new bike a lot cheaper.

HTupolev

So my latest bit of ignorance is that you don't need new wheels to have bigger tires. Just tires and tubes?
Yep. Some attention should be paid, for a few reasons.

One, to get the aero benefit of fancy aero wheels, you need to width-match them correctly to their tires. Ideally the tire and rim together form one nice aerodynamic shape.

Two, the tires can mount a bit weird if the differences are really extreme. In particular, people mounting ultra-wide tires on ultra-narrow rims sometimes report that the handling is squirmy (presumably because the tire's sidewalls form a too-narrow flexible "neck" where they contact the rim sidewalls).

Most of the time, within reason, if your bike has the clearance for it, things work out just fine. Right now my hardtail actually has a hybrid tire on the back, and it's still basically behaving in a tire-like manner.

O4ORbMS.jpg

If the change isn't really big, you won't even need new tubes. Tubes are able to stretch to enormous sizes without failing, and they're usually rated for a range of tire widths. Heck, they're sometimes even rated for a range of wheel diameters; a lot of tubes are spec'd for both 700c and 27" wheels.

That said, if you're going down in size, you'll probably want a new tube anyway. Installing a tire with a too-large tube can be difficult; it's more challenging to pop the tube into the rim channel, and you have to be extra-careful to avoid pinching it between the tire's bead and rim sidewall.
If you're doing a small or moderate width increase, you can probably happily just use the tubes you have.

Teggy

Yep. Some attention should be paid, for a few reasons.

One, to get the aero benefit of fancy aero wheels, you need to width-match them correctly to their tires. Ideally the tire and rim together form one nice aerodynamic shape.

Two, the tires can mount a bit weird if the differences are really extreme. In particular, people mounting ultra-wide tires on ultra-narrow rims sometimes report that the handling is squirmy (presumably because the tire's sidewalls form a too-narrow flexible "neck" where they contact the rim sidewalls).

Most of the time, within reason, if your bike has the clearance for it, things work out just fine. Right now my hardtail actually has a hybrid tire on the back, and it's still basically behaving in a tire-like manner.

O4ORbMS.jpg

If the change isn't really big, you won't even need new tubes. Tubes are able to stretch to enormous sizes without failing, and they're usually rated for a range of tire widths. Heck, they're sometimes even rated for a range of wheel diameters; a lot of tubes are spec'd for both 700c and 27" wheels.

That said, if you're going down in size, you'll probably want a new tube anyway. Installing a tire with a too-large tube can be difficult; it's more challenging to pop the tube into the rim channel, and you have to be extra-careful to avoid pinching it between the tire's bead and rim sidewall.
If you're doing a small or moderate width increase, you can probably happily just use the tubes you have.

This bike comes with 38mm and will take up to 50mm, so it doesn't seem like a huge jump. I need to spend some time with it before I decide what purpose I'd want the wider tires for, though.

This bike comes with 38mm and will take up to 50mm, so it doesn't seem like a huge jump. I need to spend some time with it before I decide what purpose I'd want the wider tires for, though.

Ride the 38s first before you jump to something bigger. The experience of riding on that wide of a wheel will be very different at first. As you go bigger the standing start will begin to feel heavier and slower, but once they're rolling they'll roll without issue. More so than 23-28mm the tire pressure will make a huge difference.

I currently have 42mm on my bike and the first ride on them I had them at 50psi and it felt pretty bad: heavy, slow, hard. I started dropping it to 35/40 and it's a much better ride that's so much smoother. Granted these are tubeless so that may be different too.

gillty

Banned
You all need to chill out. The banter between the roadies and mountainbikers(?) has always made this thread way more interesting, because lets face it, roadie bike culture (particularly as a sport) can be way too narcissistic.

Wrapping up my dream build. A Lynskey Ti frame (Lynskey Legacy), classic road geometry with a compact 50x34 11-32 ultegra 6800 groupset. Fulcrum clincher wheel set; 3t stem, headset, seat post; and brooks cambium saddle and leather bar tape.

You might notice one thing not bar plugs, the one thing I didn't have on hand rn is bar end plugs lol. Lots of interesting details on the frame that are more style than function so I'll be posting more in the coming weeks after the impending snow storm passes.

img_20170222_230135_9sdoix.png

kottila

What are peoples favorite cycling sunglasses? I've been thinking on trying some of the aliexpress-"copies". Oakley Jawbreaker or radar path are the two I'm considering at the moment, but I'm open for suggestions.

Teggy

I have one of the cheap ass pairs off Amazon that come with 5 different lenses. I keep thinking I should get a better quality pair, but these are too damn convenient and they work fine. I've used all the lenses except for the nighttime yellow ones.

Laekon

What are peoples favorite cycling sunglasses? I've been thinking on trying some of the aliexpress-"copies". Oakley Jawbreaker or radar path are the two I'm considering at the moment, but I'm open for suggestions.

Smith PivLock are some of my favorite even though I don't own a pair right now. Light and great quality without being as expensive as Oakley.

teepo

i have a pair of oakley radar path. i've dropped it a numerous amount of times and it's still going strong and the selection of lenses are fantastic

well worth it if you ask me. then again, i don't fuck around when it comes to my eyes

and moar bike photos, pronto.

Laekon

and moar bike photos, pronto.

Okay. Here is the bike I'm trying to decide if I should get. I haven't ridden in a few months but I'll have a lot of free time from the middle of March till June. I can get it really cheap and most of the trails near me are smooth. The issue is the trails can be steep and with me being really out of shape I'm not sure if the 1X will cut it.

Anyone got tips on single speed conversions for mtbs?

I'm thinking of getting a cheap set of cogs and spacers as well as a chain tensioner for the hardtail, then making it fully rigid when I have the money. I could move the xt derailleur onto the currently 8 speed fatbike which really needs a wide range cassette to be viable for long rides.

Teggy

Got the new toy

Just took it out for a few miles because even though I was bundled up I realized that 40 degrees (F) is a bit too cold given I haven't ridden in months.

Was getting some rubbing on the front brake, so I need to find out what's doing there.

That's a sweet bike! My fatbike had the brake calipers set up way too tight at the shop so they rubbed really easily until I dialed them back a notch.

T8SC

Got the new toy

Just took it out for a few miles because even though I was bundled up I realized that 40 degrees (F) is a bit too cold given I haven't ridden in months.

Was getting some rubbing on the front brake, so I need to find out what's doing there.

Nice new steed. :)

Teggy

Is it rubbing and causing resistance or just rubbing? It's not uncommon for disc brakes, especially mechanical, to have some small amount of rub.

Well, it's making a really loud high pitched whine, so I figure that it has to be resisting somewhat.

I didn't hear it during my little spin after I left the shop so I took it home. When I went out it was making a bit of the noise and it seemed to go away for a bit when I gave the lever a squeeze. It had almost stopped on the way home, and then on the steep hill up to my house it came back louder than ever, and I still heard it when I just wheeled it inside.

It's probably not causing resistance because you would know for sure if it was. Mechanical brakes do have a tendency to get mis-aligned more then hydros (from what I understand). It could also be the rotor is not 100% flat/straight. You can try adjusting the pads yourself (they just float) with a screwdriver by pressing left/right to align them, or you can gently flex the rotor (I did this with a flat pipe wrench on my wifes bike).

There is likely 0 wrong with the bike, but since it's so new I would just take it back to the shop and let them mess with it.

Top Bottom