• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

Just how much worse looking is it than the PS3 version anyway? I got the impression it was notably worse, but maybe I'm misremembering how the PS3 version looked in the first place?

Though I'd probably still wait on a sale just because of having the PS3 version WITH all DLC. May as well play what I have rather than pay for an extra dungeon (and, err, swimsuits I'd ignore.)
Haven't played it yet, but most of the reviews I read said it looked very good on vita. Then again I didn't play it on ps3.

Cheska

Just how much worse looking is it than the PS3 version anyway? I got the impression it was notably worse, but maybe I'm misremembering how the PS3 version looked in the first place?

Though I'd probably still wait on a sale just because of having the PS3 version WITH all DLC. May as well play what I have rather than pay for an extra dungeon (and, err, swimsuits I'd ignore.)

Odd, I haven't heard reports of it looking worse. In any case, I personally think it looks great on the Vita.

TheChaos0

Honestly, to me it looks exactly the same as PS3 version apart from frame rate outside the battles. Frame rate is not even an issue as such, it's just noticeable since I played PS3 version as well.

Cornbread78

Ya know, the more I play the more addictive it gets, not.to P4 G levels, but really good... Makes me wish they put more effort into marketing to get the sales it deseres.

ZeroAKA

Ya know, the more I play the more addictive it gets, not.to P4 G levels, but really good... Makes me wish they put more effort into marketing to get the sales it deseres.
It didn't even need the marketing. Word-of-mouth must have really helped.

I just bought this too. I've never played any of the Atelier games before, so hopefully you guys were right.

Is there any way of telling how long you have left until the various deadlines, other than just making a mental note of "2 years in the future"?

I have no idea what date I gained my license. So I was adventuring along gathering my materials when BLAM - bad ending! LOL, no expense spared on that one, screen of text and GTFO.

So I'll have to roll back to an older save. Oddly, I wasn't annoyed despite the "wasted" time (and normally that is a real RPG bugbear with me), this game really is all about the journey. Relishing trying it again to make better use of the time. But it would be nice to have a countdown clock in case I take it close to the wire. so, anything like that?

Kazzy

DAMN YOU, Totori!

I finally got the ship, hit all the islands, things were going swimmingly. Then I hit Himmel Gate. How fantastically counter-productive to have a series of barriers than are impenetrable by anything other than upgraded explosives.

It now means my last hour of progress was for naught. I hardly want to burn 15+ days of game time for something so trivial.

It has done nothing, other than made me quite annoyed with the game. I don't get what purpose it serves, particularly as it's a discovery you'll likely make deep within your travels. So frustrating.

I really like elements of this game, but it seems to have a raft of obtuse design choices, which just sour me on the overall experience.

Enjoying the game so far. The time mechanics haven't been an issue and the gameplay is fun. Does it matter who I take along with me?

Enjoying the game so far. The time mechanics haven't been an issue and the gameplay is fun. Does it matter who I take along with me?
Yes. It will raise their friend level and determine which ending you unlock. You also need to have the right characters in your party to unlock certain event scenes. Don't worry about it though. You can always replay the game with a FAQ if you want to unlock all the trophies.

Cornbread78

Yes. It will raise their friend level and determine which ending you unlock. You also need to have the right characters in your party to unlock certain event scenes. Don't worry about it though. You can always replay the game with a FAQ if you want to unlock all the trophies.

I just wish I could find a walkthrough in Adobe format, everything I fing is in HTML and its a pain to convert, so I can print pages down..

Durante

I like that some new people are trying this release and enjoying it. I think the Atelier series is very under-appreciated.
Even by its new publisher :(

Cornbread78

I like that some new people are trying this release and enjoying it. I think the Atelier series is very under-appreciated.
Even by its new publisher :(

I was exceited to get another jrpg on the VITA, but I've gotten more from it than I was expecting honestly, it's been fun. I just hope I don't screw up the timeline too much.

This game kind of creeps me out, but I want a jrpg on my vita. Can you manually tone down the moe stuff (i.e. select different teammembers)?

Eusis

Odd, I haven't heard reports of it looking worse. In any case, I personally think it looks great on the Vita.
I was just going off how it looked in Vita pictures versus how I remembered it looking on PS3. It may be that I misremembered, or playing on the vita screen makes all the difference, or it's the resolution change rather than assets (to be expected anyway.)

Z3M0G

Ok... so after my second play through I managed to do everything I needed (so the game tells me) to complete the story... with only 1 month left to spare. lol

What I achieved / didn't achive (SPOILERS):

- killed the devil boss and saved the snow village
- Literally, right after this, if I try to re-enter the tower Sterk's fucking pigeon shows up and takes him away... god dammit! I'm using Sterk and the Chef dude. They are both awesome. They are each over level 40, Totori is over 45.
- I didn't kill the large Griffin yet, and I assume the "fire devil" or whatever located at "???" is in the final tower and is the most difficult boss in the game.
- I guess I screwed up with the festival... 3/8 girls said "No" and I apparently passed the due date without any warning... The Cart guy showed up asking "Wh... why didn't you come to the festival...?"
- All other characters were up to around level 30 or so.

So all in all, I guess I'm satisfied without using a guide. The only tips I took from this thread were to use the teleportal, speed shoes, and speed gloves. Good God... I can't believe I didn't do that the first time around. No wonder I wasted away the 5 years without achieving much...

Fucking LOVED this game. I may return and play a 3rd time with a guide... but I'm definitely shelving it for a while. (Backing up the save on the cloud and deleting it from my Vita to make space.) This is the most addictive game I've played in years.

(Any comments about how the very latest Atelier game on PS3 tacks up compared to this one?? What is different? What is improved? Thanks! I don't think I'll get it... the only reason I got to play this one so much is because it's on my Vita.)

Ohnonono

This is going to be my RPG I am going to complete during downtime from Soul Sacrifice. I don't want to use a guide unless I get stuck so if someone wouldn't mind giving me some general tips to keep me from really screwing up I would really appreciate it!

Z3M0G

Oh nice... 1 month left and I finally discover that I can upgrade my
boat
by visiting the harbor in town...

This is going to be my RPG I am going to complete during downtime from Soul Sacrifice. I don't want to use a guide unless I get stuck so if someone wouldn't mind giving me some general tips to keep me from really screwing up I would really appreciate it!

Since this really bit me this time around, I'll start with:

- don't get too much into the habit of only teleporting between town zones... and visit all zones of a town regularly. (Or you'll miss things like what I missed above.)

Other than that:

- buy all recipe books as soon as you can
- fight, fight, fight! Grind as much as you can as you go and keep your party strong
- do at least 10 quests every Adventurer rank before you rank up or you will miss the opportunity... blocking you from getting 100% if that is your goal (you should be using a guide to achieve that anyways... but this is an easy one to screw up.)
- craft the gathering gloves (halves gathering time), speed shoes (halves foot travel time), and teleportal (return to either town instantly) as soon as possible and keep them in your basket... and use the damn teleportal! My major mistake the first time around. I had it on my and never used it once. lol
- explore every new location at least once as soon as able to find the ingredients to craft the above items. Even in my second playthrough, I crafted the gathering gloves way too late.
- don't spend too much time crafting a large number of one item, but craft as many different items as possible. At one point you can start registering items in shops to buy them instead of crafting them.
- if money runs dry, sell a few hundred of your excess items (low ranking ones at least)
- once you reach the point in the story, craft the
boat
as soon as possible. There is LOTS to explore after that. And then return to the harbor in your village every time you return there to catch the opportunity to upgrade it (reducing travel time in half).

Ohnonono

boat

Since this really bit me this time around, I'll start with:

- don't get too much into the habit of only teleporting between town zones... and visit all zones of a town regularly. (Or you'll miss things like what I missed above.)

Other than that:

- buy all recipe books as soon as you can
- fight, fight, fight! Grind as much as you can as you go and keep your party strong
- do at least 10 quests every Adventurer rank before you rank up or you will miss the opportunity... blocking you from getting 100% if that is your goal (you should be using a guide to achieve that anyways... but this is an easy one to screw up.)
- craft the gathering gloves (halves gathering time), speed shoes (halves foot travel time), and teleportal (return to either town instantly) as soon as possible and keep them in your basket... and use the damn teleportal! My major mistake the first time around. I had it on my and never used it once. lol
- explore every new location at least once as soon as able to find the ingredients to craft the above items. Even in my second playthrough, I crafted the gathering gloves way too late.
- don't spend too much time crafting a large number of one item, but craft as many different items as possible. At one point you can start registering items in shops to buy them instead of crafting them.
- if money runs dry, sell a few hundred of your excess items (low ranking ones at least)
- once you reach the point in the story, craft the
boat
as soon as possible. There is LOTS to explore after that. And then return to the harbor in your village every time you return there to catch the opportunity to upgrade it (reducing travel time in half).
Perfect! Thanks!

boat

Can I ask - how did you know you had one month left? Is there anywhere in game that gives you a countdown, or did you just make a note? I have no idea when I renewed my license! Kind of killing my planning. For all I know my game could end tomorrow.

Cornbread78

ok, so apparently missed the festival.... there was no flag for it or countdown.. I dont even have 8 female friends... am I screwed now?

Cornbread78

OK, well on top of that, I just got the bad ending, wtf? I was in the second to last rank, had all the pieces to the
ship
created and was just trying to level up.... What did I do wrong here?

TheChaos0

ok, so apparently missed the festival.... there was no flag for it or countdown.. I dont even have 8 female friends... am I screwed now?

You would just need to ask all the females you know :) They all can be found the towns.

OK, well on top of that, I just got the bad ending, wtf? I was in the second to last rank, had all the pieces to the
ship

You run out of time I guess, game only lasts 5 years. Also be mindful that, once you got the
ship
it may take several months to get to normal ending due to lots of traveling involved.

You need to carefully plan how you spend your time. I didn't get the best ending when I played it, but I got a bit further than you. Travel is one of the worst time thieves and you should try to avoid going back and forth to places.

Z3M0G

You would just need to ask all the females you know :) They all can be found the towns.

3 of them said "No" to me... what was up with that?

ship

Same thing happened to me... I only had one piece of it built.

Next you will try to decide what to do... Start NG+, or revert to an old save perhaps? If so, trust me... go with NG+. But reload your last save and sell ALL your inventory. Keep your new gear on your characters though, they will carry over along with your gold.

You will blast through the game the second time through... Follow the tips I posted a few posts up next time around. But without using a full guide, I can't see how anyone could easily get the "best" ending... there are like 10 endings according to the trophies...

Cornbread78

You run out of time I guess, game only lasts 5 years. Also be mindful that, once you got the
ship
it may take several months to get to normal ending due to lots of traveling involved.

How do you have enough time to level up and gather all the materials and synth everythign needed with that amount of time. The game made it seem like you have much more time that that. Besides, my highest friend level was only in the 80's before, how do you get them to 100? Awwe man.... Time management sucks....

3 of them said "No" to me... what was up with that?

Same thing happened to me... I only had one piece of it built.

Next you will try to decide what to do... Start NG+, or revert to an old save perhaps? If so, trust me... go with NG+. But reload your last save and sell ALL your inventory. Keep your new gear on your characters though, they will carry over along with your gold.

You will blast through the game the second time through... Follow the tips I posted a few posts up next time around. But without using a full guide, I can't see how anyone could easily get the "best" ending... there are like 10 endings according to the trophies...

I got all the females I knew, other than 1 merchant in Arland to agree to go, but what date does teh event happen? There is no ticker for it, and no date is given. The next time I went to town, it just said that I missed the event.....

Rarutos

I got all the females I knew, other than 1 merchant in Arland to agree to go, but what date does teh event happen? There is no ticker for it, and no date is given. The next time I went to town, it just said that I missed the event.....

I'm pretty sure Peter tells you it's exactly a month(?) away or something like that. I can't remember the duration exactly since I haven't played since the PS3 launch, but you just had to make sure to be in Alanya on the same day the next month or something.

Ravage

I wish i can offer help but it's been a long time since i last played Totori :/

I always go in blind for my first playthrough (much more fun that way) but here's an step-by-step event guide for all the character endings. Try not to read more than required to minimise spoilers :p

I'm so curious about this game. The graphics look great. But I prefer narrative and a serious under tone to my JRPG's. I'm too worried to pull the trigger abd get burnt on a game I can't resell or trade in.

But I prefer narrative and a serious under tone to my JRPG's.

Then go away and never come back to this series. It's a good game but if that's the reason why you play jrpgs then it's not the game for you. All jrpgs have laughably bad stories that try too hard, this game does away with that and has a very lighthearted story that is mostly character driven.

It's the story of a girl looking for her missing mother while becoming someone in life (although there's barely any struggle in that regard).

Eusis

Well, PREFERRING doesn't mean you CAN'T like this, but I think he'd have better odds with Ayesha, at least that has something of a darker undertone given the world's clearly at its end point.

Then go away and never come back to this series. It's a good game but if that's the reason why you play jrpgs then it's not the game for you. All jrpgs have laughably bad stories that try too hard, this game does away with that and has a very lighthearted story that is mostly character driven.

It's the story of a girl looking for her missing mother while becoming someone in life (although there's barely any struggle in that regard).

Not all JRPG'S have bad stories. SMT/Persona have pretty good and unique stories. I like character narratives too.

OceanBlue

Well, PREFERRING doesn't mean you CAN'T like this, but I think he'd have better odds with Ayesha, at least that has something of a darker undertone given the world's clearly at its end point.

It's a better recommendation than Totori, but I'd say the Atelier games I've played aren't for him.

Well, maybe he'll like them anyway. It's up to him whether he's willing to take a chance with the game.

Syrinx

So, uh, I went on the PSN Store to buy this game, and I looked under Atelier Totori Plus, and it says, "There are no content items." listed where I should be able to buy it. Does anybody know about this?

Edit: Used Search function, worked. Should be good.

androvsky

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I guess this threads taken over for the PS3 one? I finally got around to replaying this an I feel I'm pretty far along for it taking 10 hours to get back to this point!

Year 3, Month 6, Day 7
Diamond Rank
Level 26 / 25
2000 monies

I realllllyyy wanna play Meruru but I don't want it to spoil me on the end of this game! Do I need the normal ending or the good one? Do I gots enough time to reach either of 'em an if so what should I be doing now??

OceanBlue

I guess this threads taken over for the PS3 one? I finally got around to replaying this an I feel I'm pretty far along for it taking 10 hours to get back to this point!

Year 3, Month 6, Day 7
Diamond Rank
Level 26 / 25
2000 monies

I realllllyyy wanna play Meruru but I don't want it to spoil me on the end of this game! Do I need the normal ending or the good one? Do I gots enough time to reach either of 'em an if so what should I be doing now??

If I remember correctly, there are spoilers for Totori's True Ending in Meruru.

Top Bottom