• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

True. Since The Witness is iPad only, it may release with a universal game.
Oxenfree released out of nowhere, I didn't even know they were working on a mobile port. There weren't even articles or previews about a possible mobile version.

So The Witness appearing out of the blue as a surprise release on the last day of Apple's big indie game promotion, isn't that far-fetched

Especially considering Blow said the iPad version was still in the works last year, and we've seen iPad footage from 2013

Voidance

Oxenfree released out of nowhere, I didn't even know they were working on a mobile. There weren't even articles or previews about a possible mobile version.

So The Witness appearing out of the blue as a surprise release on the last day of Apple's big indie game promotion, isn't that far-fetched

Especially considering Blow said the iPad version was still in the works last year, and we've seen iPad footage from 2013

There's hope! I'll keep my fingers crossed and eyes peeled.

Ketch

Yeh card thief finally!

Is it best to keep the chests on the board for as long as possible? The biggest one I've been successfully able to steal was 6, but I still just got one insignia and some trash.

Yeh card thief finally!

Is it best to keep the chests on the board for as long as possible? The biggest one I've been successfully able to steal was 6, but I still just got one insignia and some trash.
The higher the score, the better the reward

PittaGAF

Actually the higher the chest value, the higher the possibile score too.
You get the chest value multiplied by the ....'multiplier' (middle top number).

In my experience usually it's not worth it unless you are going for the insignia, but I know others have reached nice scores with that.

Personally (as of yesterday I was first in all ladders :p) I can get 20-30 points from the chest and 30-40 from each guard....so imho it's not really worth it after you unlocked all castles.

Do know that more content is planned, and you'll get some use for all the trash.

PittaGAF

Dang. How high do they have to be.... I thought 6 was pretty high...

6 is pretty high...it's random but you should have gotten 1-2 insignia.
One day I got nothing from a 15 value chest so....

Do know that after you got the maximum number of certain insignia (and consequent next castle unlock) you won't get any more insignia of that type from those castle chests, so maybe it's that.

Pachimari

I really wouldn't hold out hope for The Witness tomorrow. It's not gonna happen.

I gave Card Thief a try and is really liking it. But it'll be the whole progression system that will decide if I'll love it or not, because I still haven't gotten over then hurdle in Card Crawl and thus I never loved it. But Card Thief being based on the stealth genre is a fantastic start and I'm enjoying the layout and rules set up for this to work out in interesting ways. I'm very optimistic about it.

The things I get from the chests where do those go though? I still only have Cloak in the equipment.

PittaGAF

I really wouldn't hold out hope for The Witness tomorrow. It's not gonna happen.

I gave Card Thief a try and is really liking it. But it'll be the whole progression system that will decide if I'll love it or not, because I still haven't gotten over then hurdle in Card Crawl and thus I never loved it. But Card Thief being based on the stealth genre is a fantastic start and I'm enjoying the layout and rules set up for this to work out in interesting ways. I'm very optimistic about it.

The things I get from the chests where do those go though? I still only have Cloak in the equipment.

You unlock items via the insigna (the same needed to unlock the castles) and upgrade them with certain quests/tasks.

You get the insignia via the chests (plus trash and there isn't use for it...yet).

Ketch

Thanks for the tips pitta. I seen you on the leader boards at #2, I'm currently #7 with a rather poor score.... but I had literally never seen any of those cards before that run. So I was playing it super safe.

PittaGAF

Thanks for the tips pitta. I seen you on the leader boards at #2, I'm currently #7 with a rather poor score.... but I had literally never seen any of those cards before that run. So I was playing it super safe.

Oh just noticed.
They reset all the ladders.
I just did a run in the castles to set things good again :)

My top score is (was) 198.

Looking for opinions on the following games.

Oxenfree
Warbits
Severed
Card Thief
Device 6
Punch Club
Ridiculous Fishing

I don't keep up much with iOS gaming, but the Switch hype has me looking for some mobile options. I like most genres as long as the game is good. Most recently enjoyed The Room, PinOut, Crashlands, and Solitairica. Didn't enjoy Sorcery, for whatever that's worth.

Ketch

I just unlocked the 2nd house and got the blinding powder.... I'm still figuring out the rules and best way to min max. The guards what hold torches themselves are the worst!

Looking for opinions on the following games.

Oxenfree
Warbits
Severed
Card Thief
Device 6
Punch Club
Ridiculous Fishing

I don't keep up much with iOS gaming, but the Switch hype has me looking for some mobile options. I like most genres as long as the game is good. Most recently enjoyed The Room, PinOut, Crashlands, and Solitairica. Didn't enjoy Sorcery, for whatever that's worth.
Oxenfree - One of my favorite games of 2016, a creepy atmospheric narrative game with an innovative approach to dialogue and a 80s Spielberg adventure vibe
Severed - A great dungeon crawler inspired by old school RPGs, featuring surprisingly satisfying and involved swipe-based combat and a wonderfully surreal aesthetic
Card Thief - An clever well-designed hybrid of Thief and card game, strategic medieval heist played with cards and board game tactics
Device 6 - Easily one of the best games to ever grace mobile, there's nothing else quite like it

Oxenfree - One of my favorite games of 2016, a creepy atmospheric narrative game with an innovative approach to dialogue and a 80s Spielberg adventure vibe
Severed - A great dungeon crawler inspired by old school RPGs, featuring surprisingly satisfying and involved swipe-based combat and a wonderfully surreal aesthetic
Card Thief - An clever well-designed hybrid of Thief and card game, strategic medieval heist played with cards and board game tactics
Device 6 - Easily one of the best games to ever grace mobile, there's nothing else quite like it

Thanks. Guess I'm picking them all up.

PittaGAF

Anything is possible of course but I would find super weird that Apple, so focused on details, would use The Witness icon in a AppStore indie celebration feature video, if it isn't part of it.
It would also be a fitting conclusion.

Glad people is enjoying Card Thief...finally all ladders are populating and I'm already seeing impressive scores!!!
Curious to see everyone strategies (I know I changed mine several times).

killercow

Anything is possible of course but I would find super weird that Apple, so focused on details, would use The Witness icon in a AppStore indie celebration feature video, if it isn't part of it.
It would also be a fitting conclusion.

The icon used in the promo contains white borders so it's an iOS icon, not a mac one. Thus I'd be surprising if it didn't pop up.

Though it wouldn't be fair to Card Thief unless it was iPad exclusive.

PittaGAF

Woah More_Badass you weren't joking.
I'm playing more Oxenfree and .... WOW ... still amazing!!!

Continue timeline

Ketch

Dang pitta #1 today in card thief. I'm down at 8. I feel like I'm prioritizing chest level too much. I really like how the daily lets me play with the higher level equipment.

In general, do you think it's just best to clear the board for the full stealth refill and max treasure every time? Or are you like trying to set up boards full of guards for long combos? And when do you go for the chest? I'm just trying to wager on whether or not I think I'll have enough stealth to let it level up each time and then just try and pick it up at the last minute.

PittaGAF

Dang pitta #1 today in card thief. I'm down at 8. I feel like I'm prioritizing chest level too much. I really like how the daily lets me play with the higher level equipment.

In general, do you think it's just best to clear the board for the full stealth refill and max treasure every time? Or are you like trying to set up boards full of guards for long combos? And when do you go for the chest? I'm just trying to wager on whether or not I think I'll have enough stealth to let it level up each time and then just try and pick it up at the last minute.

Personally, but I don't want to give away too much because people are climbing the charts fast and all my top scores are gone with the reset :p, I have the most fun trying to set a grand trap and getting like 100 points in the same 'walk'.
Clearing all the board to get the 10 stealth points is a viable strategy.

Last, imho waiting for higher level chests is overrated.

Remy

Really loving Card Thief, but got stung this morning by not having iCloud progress sync and having to start from scratch on my phone.

Hope that's coming in reasonably short order.

Ketch

Personally, but I don't want to give away too much because people are climbing the charts fast and all my top scores are gone with the reset :p, I have the most fun trying to set a grand trap and getting like 100 points in the same 'walk'.
Clearing all the board to get the 10 stealth points is a viable strategy.

Last, imho waiting for higher level chests is overrated.

Ok ok. I do enjoy figuring it out for myself, so I won't pry too much. (Also, you don't have much to worry from me). I'm honestly surprised I make the leader board at all.

edit: Do you know if the cards are dealt in the same order for everyone in the daily heist? I assume they are.

Just wanted to throw another "hurrah" for Card Thief. I really appreciate how its mechanics and powerups come out of its rule set rather than the other way around. Plus, that aesthetic is on point. It also remains me of a solitaire version of the co-op hesist boardgame Burgle Bros,

PittaGAF

Really loving Card Thief, but got stung this morning by not having iCloud progress sync and having to start from scratch on my phone.

Hope that's coming in reasonably short order.

iCloud sync should be out with the first update.
I'm begging for it since the first beta :p, but there wasn't enough time.

Ok ok. I do enjoy figuring it out for myself, so I won't pry too much. (Also, you don't have much to worry from me). I'm honestly surprised I make the leader board at all.

edit: Do you know if the cards are dealt in the same order for everyone in the daily heist? I assume they are.

I was joking about the 'secrets' of the game of course, ask away!!!!
Yes the Daily Heist is the same for everyone as I understand.

okno

Card Thief is amazing. I have only played six rounds (making it to the end on the last two!) so far, but I absolutely adore it. The game is tough as nails, but I love that it has the same approach to card counting as Card Crawl. The depth to the strategy is astounding, and I am just now beginning to really wrap my brain around how to rack up big points. This is a true gem of a game, I absolutely cannot recommend it enough.

Card Thief is amazing. I have only played six rounds (making it to the end on the last two!) so far, but I absolutely adore it. The game is tough as nails, but I love that it has the same approach to card counting as Card Crawl. The depth to the strategy is astounding, and I am just now beginning to really wrap my brain around how to rack up big points. This is a true gem of a game, I absolutely cannot recommend it enough.
I love how they translated the elements of the stealth genre so well. It's all there: creeping through the shadows, snuffing out lights, distractions, backstabs and consequences for direct confrontation, a methodical tactical approach

PittaGAF

Something MUST HAVE happened.
No way Apple would put The Witness icon in their own promotional video 'just for fun'.

Pachimari

Could have been a communications error, could have been a misunderstanding, could have been someone forgetting to edit it out, could have been someone not thinking straight. I don't think it necessarily have to do with a planned The Witness release. I also don't think the game is imminent.

Something MUST HAVE happened.
No way Apple would put The Witness icon in their own promotional video 'just for fun'.
Or by accident. It wasn't like a tweet typo or something. Someone had to put together that video, the animations, and it even included the icon for Trilogic before it released. Every icon was specifically an indie game released or on sale during the promotion

I'm staying hopeful until it's all officially done

UFO

Banned
What's the best way to find new games? Obviously I follow this thread, but is there anyway to get push notifications to my phone?

Top Bottom