• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

You mean companies that release DLC? Damn, you must have a lot of game companies on your blacklist.

You got companies with 60 + dollar season passes for their games.. Online multiplayer unlock codes and weapon packs. Or separated off content that is part of an overly priced "collector's edition" - just because it's not called DLC makes it ok? And don't kid yourself - the DLC you see being released for games within the first few months of release were probably being worked and maybe even completed before the packaged games release. Capcom unfortunately is the only one that is dumb enough to actually 'announce' DLC before the game's release. But it's really all the same shit.

Sure, I've bought DLC and never said a bad thing (let's face it; DLC is the wave of the future - currently ). With Capcom in particular, it's locked in the disc and add to that their PR shtick, that's what's making them into one of the most vilified devs now.

LAMBO

Funny people mention DMC3SE, makes me want to play it right now. DMC3SE, best game in it's genre. Still play it, only reason my ps2 is still hooked up is for DMC3SE, ZOE2, and the endless backlog of ps2 jrpgs. Vergil was the best part of the game for me, liked using him much more than dante. Never bought DMC3, only got the SE after DMC3's great word of mouth, for $20.

If DmC sucks you have preordered a game that sucks at full price for some free content named vergil, only because of how great he was in DMC3SE, a game that seems very different than this. Free my ass you just paid $60+ tax for a game that will cost much less in no time. This game begs for a wait and see attitude. New dev(who hasn't blown anyone away with games in this very same genre), reboot of the series, not including vergil, (the best character in the series, he was sorely missed in DMC4, he is half of the DMC story) without a preorder or paying more, for $60, what a joke. DmC, see you in 2014 for $20, if you've proven yourself. Too many good games out there to fall for this one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Funny people mention DMC3SE, makes me want to play it right now. DMC3SE, best game in it's genre. Still play it, only reason my ps2 is still hooked up is for DMC3SE, ZOE2, and the endless backlog of ps2 jrpgs. Vergil was the best part of the game for me, liked using him much more than dante. Never bought DMC3, only got the SE after DMC3's great word of mouth, for $20.

If DmC sucks you have preordered a game that sucks at full price for some free content named vergil, only because of how great he was in DMC3SE, a game that seems very different than this. Free my ass you just paid $60+ tax for a game that will cost much less in no time. This game begs for a wait and see attitude. New dev(who hasn't blown anyone away with games in this very same genre), reboot of the series, not including vergil, (the best character in the series, he was sorely missed in DMC4, he is half of the DMC story) without a preorder or paying more, for $60, what a joke. DmC, see you in 2014 for $20, if you've proven yourself. Too many good games out there to fall for this one.

Virgil in dmc1 was pretty much just protoman half the story my ass.

Stuff that DmC incorporated from DMC3 which DMC1 didn't have:

*DmC has on the fly weapon swaps. Different inputs but similar application
*More moves for firearms outside of just shooting and charge shooting (Rainstorm, Fireworks etc)
*More mobility options outside of rolling and jumping (Air dashing, teleports)
*Enemy step can cancel air attacks (one of the major differences between DMC1 and DMC3)
*Stinger can be cancelled to Million Stab
*Style ranking system goes up to SSS and decays if you repeat moves. A progress bar is also displayed
*Similar checkpoint system from DMC3SE
*Gauntlet weapons now have a rising uppercut move (Magma Drive in DMC1 had no rising option)
*Multiple characters each with own playstyle/weapons

DMC3 also had styles that entirely changed play style, firearms other than handguns and shotguns, weapons that have stuff other than basic slashing combos, melee weapons that were so different to the rest as to barely qualify as such (i.e. Nevan), elemental attacks that hit multiple enemies, parries (Royal Guard)... off the top of my head. I haven't been following DmC at all for obvious reasons, and I'm sure it might implement several, let's say half of those. So what? DMC3 is still a 7 year old game on a console soon to be two generations old. Stuff has happened since then. Stuff like Bayonetta. If DmC doesn't even have ALL the stuff that even DMC3 had (and really, there is no reason for it not to), I think that's hilarious at best.

Between my list and yours, we've listed about 20 things DMC3 innovated. I doubt it would be hard to make such a list for Bayonetta, too. Now, let's play the opposite game. Let's make a list of the new things DmC is bringing to the table.

Probably a lot more stuff that I am missing. I think you need to go back to DMC1 and DMC3 to see how basic DMC1 was in terms of combat options. It prided in its enemy design and trained you to learn enemy patterns where as DMC3 trained you to learn real combos and push the combat system for maximum style efficiency. Style efficiency was irrelevant in DMC1 because as long as you don't get hit you will have a high style rank.

DMC1 was basic as all hell, I don't need to go back (which I did not long ago) to remember that. Even basic movement felt much less polished than recent games in that style. Again, I fail to see your point. It was pretty much the first game ever in that style! That's like criticizing Wolfenstein 3D for not being as polised as a recent FPS.

Oh god, I didn't think it was possible, but that video made me want the game even LESS. :S . DMC4 may have had issues, but I'm getting a distinct DMC2 smell here...

I'm going to leave this thread, as I'm not contributing anything here other than killing people's joy and involuntarily trolling. :/ I'm out, enjoy the game, guys.

Top Bottom