• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
Awfully cruel of Arrow to set expectations for the Academy slate from last month with all of them making it over to, well, this lineup. I'm a big fan of Franju, but then they drop that UK exclusive Marx Brothers set.
Well, Universal has put out the films in a pretty decent set in the US already so you should just be slightly jealous of it.

Guzim

Arrow May Announcements:

UK Only:
C44JeWcWAAETKJT.jpg

UK&US:

C44LIfuXUAADFPy.jpg

I can't fucking believe they're releasing Evil Ed. Like wow. I mean it's not Nore Norold levels of obscurity. But of all Swedish films, this is the one they're releasing.
(well, to be fair to them Thriller: A Cruel Picture/They Call Her One Eye hasn't finished its restoration yet and that pretty much is the only other one I can think of that suits the Arrow Video range)
Definitely gotta buy Cops vs. Thugs.

Shiv47

That Cops Vs Thugs cover is brilliant. Is that like a classic Japanese crime exploitation flick or something? Never heard of it before.
It's directed by Kinji Fukasaku of Yakuza Papers fame, so if you like that style of gritty crime film, you'll probably like this as well. Plus it has Bunta Sugawara as well, so it's a win-win all around.

Blader

Criterion hasn't had their February flash sale yet, right? I'm hoping they wait until next week, so I can pick up the Before trilogy for not $80.

TheFlow

Banned
Criterion hasn't had their February flash sale yet, right? I'm hoping they wait until next week, so I can pick up the Before trilogy for not $80.

really trying to hold up to July for the B&N sale. 10 percent extra off really adds up when you buy a lot

omgkitty

really trying to hold up to July for the B&N sale. 10 percent extra off really adds up when you buy a lot

I've learned that the best thing to do is when a title comes out you want, you set aside $20, and that way when a sale comes around, you can buy everything you've missed and not pay the $27+ for each title on release. Obviously this doesn't work as well if you're not caught up. Every sale I usually add a few older titles I'm still missing, but for the most part, I'm up to date.

I've been so out of the loop, does Criterion now offer quarterly sales? I seem to remember them being rarer a decade ago when I was fiending over Kurosawa DVDs. I want to buy four BLUs this year and the later the better as I'm switching cities in May.

TheFlow

Banned
I've learned that the best thing to do is when a title comes out you want, you set aside $20, and that way when a sale comes around, you can buy everything you've missed and not pay the $27+ for each title on release. Obviously this doesn't work as well if you're not caught up. Every sale I usually add a few older titles I'm still missing, but for the most part, I'm up to date.

this is a good idea. might as well start now.

omgkitty

I've been so out of the loop, does Criterion now offer quarterly sales? I seem to remember them being rarer a decade ago when I was fiending over Kurosawa DVDs. I want to buy four BLUs this year and the later the better as I'm switching cities in May.

There are Criterion flash sales on their website twice a year at the end of February and at the end of September. They run for 24 hours and are half off. Barnes and Noble has two sales a year during July and November, running for about 3 weeks. These are also half off sales. Pretty much there's never a reason to buy a Criterion film outside of these sales.

Wrote a final paper on Branded to Kill in college. Wild movie. Dude was given a garbage big standard Yakuza script, then just turned into his own thing, made the film with little regard for any conventions, showed it to the studio and was then promptly fired. He was a badass.

Tokyo Drifter is awesome as well, but that's the extent of the stuff I've seen.

Ridley327

RIP Suzuki.

I'm shocked he lasted as long as he did. He was on an oxygen tank for more than a decade.

Fantastic director that can definitely be praised for doing things unlike anyone else. He had a lot of imitators in his wake, but no one came even close.

In case anyone was interested, the only stuff of his that I haven't seen that Criterion has put out have been Story of a Prostitute and Gate of Flesh, and I can wholeheartedly recommend all of it. I would also advise anyone to take the time to track down Detective Bureau 2-3: Go To Hell Bastards! for more pure Suzuki genre madness, with the help of Joe Shishido.

April releases from Powerhouse Films/Indicator.

Indicator is starting to become one of my favorite, if not my favorite publisher. The few releases I got (Rilington place / The New centurions / Christine) are incredibly good as far as quality and content are concerned and reasonably priced. And their packaging and design are incredibly slick, although they don't really translate well in picture.

The quality of their cover printing especially is second to none.

berzeli

Banned
April releases from Powerhouse Films/Indicator.

Indicator is starting to become one of my favorite, if not my favorite publisher. The few releases I got (Rilington place / The New centurions / Christine) are incredibly good as far as quality and content are concerned and reasonably priced. And their packaging and design are incredibly slick, although they don't really translate well in picture.

The quality of their cover printing especially is second to none.

The Lady from Shanghai! I dare say that this will (finally) be the definitive release.

And totally agreed on Indicator, they're doing god's work. The covers are made by the guy who started MoC (and I think he does some other work for them as well), his stuff is just great.

omgkitty

I will say that I liked the cover that blu-ray.com had up for The Lady from Shanghai before it got changed and now I can't find the pictrue of it :\

Of the titles they've already released, what's worth picking up? I'm already getting Bunny Lake is Missing, The Last Detail and The Big Heat, but things like Christine, Body Double, 10 Rillington Place etc have me interested, though I've not seen any of them. With all of these being limited releases, I get that itch!

The Lady from Shanghai! I dare say that this will (finally) be the definitive release.

And totally agreed on Indicator, they're doing god's work. The covers are made by the guy who started MoC (and I think he does some other work for them as well), his stuff is just great.

Oh yeah, I've been following Nick Wrigley since he left MoC. He also made the Arrow Dekalog package.

I will say that I liked the cover that blu-ray.com had up for The Lady from Shanghai before it got changed and now I can't find the pictrue of it :\

Of the titles they've already released, what's worth picking up? I'm already getting Bunny Lake is Missing, The Last Detail and The Big Heat, but things like Christine, Body Double, 10 Rillington Place etc have me interested, though I've not seen any of them. With all of these being limited releases, I get that itch!

The limited edition is the dual package only (I think?).

Christine is clearly the definitive edition. Already have Body Double from Carlotta but this one seems better. 10 Rilington place is supposed to be an amazing movie. I got The New Centurions as well as it looks like my cup of tea and I'm a sucker for anything George C. Scott.

Other than what you already cited I'll pick up the 3 above and The Front. Not that interested in Carpenter's lesser movies.And I already got the Huston, Lang and Poitier in other editions that I still haven't watched so I'm not even looking at those...

omgkitty

Oh yeah, I've been following Nick Wrigley since he left MoC. He also made the Arrow Dekalog package.

The limited edition is the dual package only (I think?).

Christine is clearly the definitive edition. Already have Body Double from Carlotta but this one seems better. 10 Rilington place is supposed to be an amazing movie. I got The New Centurions as well as it looks like my cup of tea and I'm a sucker for anything George C. Scott.

Other than what you already cited I'll pick up the 3 above and The Front. Not that interested in Carpenter's lesser movies.And I already got the Huston, Lang and Poitier in other editions that I still haven't watched so I'm not even looking at those...

Nick Wrigley reminds me a bit of Eric Skillman, who does a lot of the covers for Criterion. Big emphasis on the use of simple designs and a killer typeface, especially lately as it feels like Criterion's art budget has shrunk since idiots are still buying DVD's.

I thought Powerhouse was basically the Twilight Time of the UK, minus the awful covers and overpriced releases? It's why I've never bought a Twilight Time release. Their covers are usually awful, and their releases cost $30+.

I will say that I liked the cover that blu-ray.com had up for The Lady from Shanghai before it got changed and now I can't find the pictrue of it :

I have Body Double and heartily recommend it. Pure De Palma sleaze.

berzeli

Banned
Can really nonone tell me which dubs are on the Brain Damage Blu-Ray? Is it really English-only?
This is what is listed:
  • Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
So I'm assuming that means only English. Though I have to ask, 'cause I've looked around a bit and found nothing, what other dubs they "should" be including?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is what is listed:
  • Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
So I'm assuming that means only English. Though I have to ask, 'cause I've looked around a bit and found nothing, what other dubs they "should" be including?
Thanks. Sometimes a couple of international dubs are also included, and since germany only got a bad DVD like 10 years ago, I hoped that I just could buy this edition.

Anyway, Since this seems to be a newer release I have the hope that a local label buys the rights and releases a german edition in the nearer future.

berzeli

Banned
Thanks. Sometimes a couple of international dubs are also included, and since germany only got a bad DVD like 10 years ago, I hoped that I just could buy this edition.

Anyway, Since this seems to be a newer release I have the hope that a local label buys the rights and releases a german edition in the nearer future.
Unless the film was made in another language (or like with 1900 made in two), Arrow et. al. do not include additional dub tracks since they only target the English speaking market.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Unless the film was made in another language (or like with 1900 made in two), Arrow et. al. do not include additional dub tracks since they only target the English speaking market.
Arrow had a release of Nekromantic and it had the german dub. Special case, since its a german movie of course, but there was a chance
Edit: My post is almost what you already said. I am stupid :D

omgkitty

Order done.

3 Women
Design for Living
Black Girl
Fox and His Friends
Something Wild
His Girl Friday
The Exterminating Angel
One-Eyed Jacks

Got my $50 gift certificate and immediately ordered the 1st World Cinema Project set.

Top Bottom