• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Oneself

Never heard of an incoming Pro patch for Inside. I don't think we'll see one but it would be quite beautiful if supersampled.

How good are the watch dogs 2 enhancements?

Probably one of the better supersampled pro games.

Took these with my capture card at 1080p:

amarectv2016-11-1715-qusyw.png

amarectv2016-11-1813-0esd3.png

amarectv2016-11-2721-ecs7e.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How good are the watch dogs 2 enhancements?

Really good. 1800p through checker boarding. There's some screens in the last page, in some instances the checker boarding atrifacting is visible but otherwise the image is really clean, little aliasing and performance is rock solid 30 even in stress situations.

I just got a Pro. I have a 1080p tv. Obviously ignorant/dumb question but how do I know if a game I'm playing has a Pro patch installed? When I "check for updates" on a game will it know somehow to pull that certain patch?

Jedi2016

I just got a Pro. I have a 1080p tv. Obviously ignorant/dumb question but how do I know if a game I'm playing has a Pro patch installed? When I "check for updates" on a game will it know somehow to pull that certain patch?
You read this thread, the one you just posted in... that's how you know.

MAX PAYMENT

Really good. 1800p through checker boarding. There's some screens in the last page, in some instances the checker boarding atrifacting is visible but otherwise the image is really clean, little aliasing and performance is rock solid 30 even in stress situations.

1080p is the native res and it's checkerboard rendered to 1800p? Or 1800p native scaled up to 4k?

adamsapple

1080p is the native res and it's checkerboard rendered to 1800p? Or 1800p native scaled up to 4k?

Game uses checker boarding to render up to 1800p. If you own a 1080p TV, you'll get a down-sampled image.

Seemingly it also uses checker boarding to achieve the 1080p or the 900p on the OG PS4 and XB1 too.

edit: I meant 1080p on PS4 and 900p on XB1 seem to use checker boarding too.

5taquitos

Pro support is included in standard updates for games, so if a game has Pro support and you've got any available updates installed, you're good to go.

As far as knowing if a game should have Pro support, this thread is all you need.

I wish there was something we could do to compel more Pro support or retroactive patches, and ensure future ones. Like if there was someone at Sony relatively dedicated to it like @giocorsi with a #buildingthelist kind of initiative.

I also wish I could just show people online exactly what I see on my TV, online. So hard to evangelize, even though it's got me on cloud nine.

I wish there was something we could do to compel more Pro support or retroactive patches, and ensure future ones. Like if there was someone at Sony relatively dedicated to it like @giocorsi with a #buildingthelist kind of initiative.

Well, I imagine the sales data for Pro supported older games is filtering out to the relevant parties now.

I have no idea how they are doing but it's certainly something I consider when buying a game since the advent of Pro.

If the data says it's worth it hopefully we'll see a few added to the list.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Game uses checker boarding to render up to 1800p. If you own a 1080p TV, you'll get a down-sampled image.

Seemingly it also uses checker boarding to achieve the 1080p or the 900p on the OG PS4 and XB1 too.

Really? DF said that it was native 1080p on basic PS4

Planet

Also - and this seemingly needs to be repeated every few days - checkerboard rendering is not an upscaling technique. There is no "render native this then checkerboard to that resolution". It is a means to target a higher resolution than you could normally achieve by cleverly "cheating" on half the pixels in the name giving pattern. It involves much more than just interpolating between neighboring pixels like upscaling does.

adamsapple

Will Yakuza 0 have Pro support?

No. Game originally came out long before the Pro did. No separate effort being put into this localized version. But it's already 1080p/60fps, so it should be a good smooth experience.

Yakuza 6 came out after Pro in Japan, so that game has Pro support.

edit: Beaten like a random thug by Kiryu.

Just got a PS4 Pro over the weekend. Currently playing on a 1080p television, hoping to upgrade to 4K within the year. One thing that's not clear to me is that if the game supports HDR can you enjoy the HDR functionality on 1080p televisions?

Just got a PS4 Pro over the weekend. Currently playing on a 1080p television, hoping to upgrade to 4K within the year. One thing that's not clear to me is that if the game supports HDR can you enjoy the HDR functionality on 1080p televisions?
I don't think any 1080p TV supports HDR.

Morts

If your TV supports HDR it would probably say so in big text on the box. I don't think any 1080p TV supports HDR, especially if uts a couple years old.

adamsapple

Have there been any games yet with the Pro enhancements in the disc it has it all been patches so far?

All games shipping after Pro's release, which support Pro, have some form of updates present on the disc. Patching it further is up to the developer.

I don't think any 1080p TV supports HDR.

If your TV supports HDR it would probably say so in big text on the box. I don't think any 1080p TV supports HDR, especially if uts a couple years old.

yea that makes sense. Not sure why I didn't realize that. It's amazing with how much research I put into buying a new TV when the time comes that I forget about all this "whether your TV supports it or not" jargon and what is/isn't supported on the TV I currently own.

TalonJH

Adding on to everyone else answer. Make sure that when you do move on to a 4K TV that it has HDR. Not all 4K TVs are HDR compliant.

Lady Gaia

Adding on to everyone else answer. Make sure that when you do move on to a 4K TV that it has HDR. Not all 4K TVs are HDR compliant.

More than that, make sure it isn't just decoding HDR but actually meets the HDR requirements for UHD Premium. This specifies a black level required to show shadow detail and peak brightness both for partial and full-screen levels in order to achieve the full range of "pop" that makes HDR special. Some 4K TVs jus tdecode HDR and tone map it back into the same limited range as non-HDR TVs, which gets them a marketing bullet point but robs you of any actual benefit.

Really? DF said that it was native 1080p on basic PS4
900p for the Xbox 1, PS4 is 1080p. Sorry, my wording might have been unclear. Liabe Brave did mote digging on the OG PS4 and found checker boarding artifacts on it as well.
To be clear, I may be beyond my skill level with that assessment. There are definitely artifacts in the image, which mostly occur around edges. Digital Foundry thinks they're due to HRAA, an Ubisoft AA method that can cause such problems. But in my analysis I saw checkering that seemed to be in the center of objects too. I believe this points to overall CBR, rather than HRAA. But I could easily be mistaken.

There haven't been any games to add while I was off for the holidays (though I made some very minor changes). However, because it's the source of a bunch of confusion, I did add a question about CBR to the FAQ. Since this is a complex issue and I probably messed up, I wanted to keep that discussion out of this thread. So my explanation of CBR is a thread of its own. (If you do have suggestions, they can be posted here if you like. I'll watch both threads.)

As always, 4K shots and impressions of unlisted or partially-listed games is much appreciated. Thanks!

adamsapple

Here's some Mafia 3 screens, with the latest patch installed.

First, some 1080p .png's downscaled from my 4K display, these should give a good idea of image quality boost. Game has some notable bugs and REALLY bad LOD issues, but the image quality is certainly a lot cleaner than 1080p. I like the boost in clarity from the higher resolution. There's little to no visible aliasing during general gameplay. Performance is also good, but I've had multiple issues of cars visibly popping in within feet of me driving, building lights going off then coming on when I get a bit closer to them etc.

And now 2 4K JPEG's I just took a few minutes ago, apologies they're from the night scene but I hope they're useful. I can take some from day-time scenarios tomorrow.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Does The Elder Scrolls Online have benefits for 1080p displays? I got it on sale this weekend and it looks and runs about the same as I remember from the beta way back when. Still seeing a fair number of jaggies and the framerate doesn't always feel like locked 30.

Here's some Mafia 3 screens, with the latest patch installed.

First, some 1080p .png's downscaled from my 4K display, these should give a good idea of image quality boost. Game has some notable bugs and REALLY bad LOD issues, but the image quality is certainly a lot cleaner than 1080p. I like the boost in clarity from the higher resolution. There's little to no visible aliasing during general gameplay. Performance is also good, but I've had multiple issues of cars visibly popping in within feet of me driving, building lights going off then coming on when I get a bit closer to them etc.

And now 2 4K JPEG's I just took a few minutes ago, apologies they're from the night scene but I hope they're useful. I can take some from day-time scenarios tomorrow.

But do you like the game.. The angry joe review made me weary of getting it due to how repetitive the game is supposedly..

adamsapple

But do you like the game.. The angry joe review made me weary of getting it due to how repetitive the game is supposedly..

Technical issues aside, yeah the game is good. It's more of a case like Uncharted where I'm looking forward to the next story sequence since it's acted so well.

The game has a completely barren open world so far, I don't know whether 'activities' open up later, but so far the open world has only served as a driving grounds from mission a to b.

Jack cw

Does The Elder Scrolls Online have benefits for 1080p displays? I got it on sale this weekend and it looks and runs about the same as I remember from the beta way back when. Still seeing a fair number of jaggies and the framerate doesn't always feel like locked 30.

It's supersampled. Looks identical to Skyrim on Pro in 1080p. Crisp, clean and no jaggies. Maybe calibrate your TV correctly.

Morts

Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty nice and very clean, though I don't know how much is placebo since I don't have the old PS4 hooked up side by side. Some of the draw-in while driving can be distracting.

ReitStuff

Man I'm so torn about FFXV. I really want to play it but I was hoping they would have patched the juttery frame rate at 1800p by now. I'd hate to start playing it now and then in a couple months they release a patch that stabilizes the frame rate. ugh

ViolentP

Man I'm so torn about FFXV. I really want to play it but I was hoping they would have patched the juttery frame rate at 1800p by now. I'd hate to start playing it now and then in a couple months they release a patch that stabilizes the frame rate. ugh

Not ideal, but still very playable. First time in years I put 100+ hours into a console game.

adamsapple

I have the game but I'm still waiting on the patch before starting myself :(

Hoping the World of Final Fantasy patch that's been scheduled for Jan doesn't get delayed.

The Ummah

Banned
It'll be great come this fall/winter season when pro support is built into the game already. Plus, seeing that fancy pro enabled sticker on the back of the boxes :)

Edit: Just referencing the next set of "blockbuster" releases during those months as opposed to us now waiting for patches to arrive.

Yup still waiting on that "December" patch.

Magnus

I played in Pro Lite mode (which I believe is 1800p) and it felt like a rock solid 30.... The HDR was totally beautiful in this mode too. I didn't notice a dramatic difference at all with the IQ going to Pro High mode, but the framerate tanked back down to the way it was on the OG PS4.

Pro Lite is beautifully playable.

Top Bottom