• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
You are being unnecessarily hostile. Calm down dude.

No, I'm just not giving him a free pass. Some users seem to think that self-interestedly posting to defend his outlet is enough to praise him for. I just happen to remember him when he entered the thread and wilfully misinterpreted what everyone was complaining about, claimed it was all a storm in a teacup, selectively replied to other posters, etc, etc.

It has become rather clear that Jackpot - like some others in this thread - is less interested in having a conversation and more interested in reinforcing his preconceived notions about a group of people that, for whatever reason, he really wants to hate.

If anyone is interested in actually discussing specific ethical issues or incidents, let me know and maybe we can turn this into a productive discussion.

"oh, I'm so persecuted! I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears."

shuffle the deck already.

and speaking of wanting specific examples of Kotaku misreporting, how could you forget your own incident where you accused GAF of making an entire thread "dedicated to attacking me" and "spreading lies", demanding evidence a rumour was fake before taking it down, and then getting people banned on other forums for what they posted here and then gloating about it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809

Update: Jason Schreier of Kotaku still believes the image is legit! Brushes off evidence, demands incontrovertible proof that it was photoshopped before he'll admit to being fooled.

Update2: Hey Jason, it's a shop. We can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in our time.

Update3: LOL

Update4: Jason Schreier bans Kotaku users for posting his Twitter article, would hate to imagine what goes on in WanderingWind's head, is still "one of the best reporters in the field" according to Kotaku.

Update5/6: Hide your kids hide your wife, Jason Schreier is banning everyone out there!

Update7: No, Jason, it's the same old thread.

Update8: Play.com sets the record straight once and for all.

Update9: And they all lived happily ever after.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Please do.

And that was just one of the many, many well-known example of what Bunny was talking about. Why are gaffers so much more knowledgeable on stuff than the people actually paid to cover it?
You need to chill out. What are you trying to even prove at this point? Arguing with the one constant presence in this thread willing to hold an open dialogue and you, and others, behave like children and shut out all possibilities of discussion by refusing to post examples?

Like I said earlier, this thread is now a parody of itself and a majority of the remaining active posters within it are doing nothing to further push the agenda of an open and honest press. All that's happening now is the behaviour that we were initially accused of when we first started making our dissatisfaction known. So good job. I really can't wait to hear that all the Bioshock Infinite reviews are bullshit because Shawn Elliot worked on it.

No, I'm just not giving him a free pass. Some users seem to think that self-interestedly posting to defend his outlet is enough to praise him for. I just happen to remember him when he entered the thread and wilfully misinterpreted what everyone was complaining about, claimed it was all a storm in a teacup, selectively replied to other posters, etc, etc.

That is not what you are doing at all. You have really lost the plot, and maybe misinterpreted what this thread is really about. Take your vendetta somewhere else, this isn't the thread for it.

But it's fine for this thread to become a thinly veiled advert for Kotaku?

What are you talking about? If journalists from other outlets want to come here and explain/defend something then nothing is stopping them. Jason just seems to care more about the feedback of the site he is working for than others.

A game series written by ex-games journalists winning GOTY as voted for by other games journalists disproves conflicts of interest between games journalists?

Okay.
Portal? Bastion? I think these are just good games getting recognised, this sounds more conspiracy theory than anything else. This would only make sense if consumers hated these games, and there was a disconnect with critics.

If this isn't the thread to discuss examples of Kotakus "journalistic" failings in the past then it isn't really the place to discuss articles written on Kotaku that don't directly address the threads topic.

I am curious if you even realize what this thread is about. The thread is about Games Journalism as a whole, Kotaku fits into that and some believe that it is one of the worst offenders, or has been in the past.

jschreier

and speaking of wanting specific examples of Kotaku misreporting, how could you forget your own incident where you accused GAF of making an entire thread "dedicated to attacking me" and "spreading lies", demanding evidence a rumour was fake before taking it down, and then getting people banned on other forums for what they posted here and then gloating about it?

Sure. I asked for specifics, not specifics that will make me look good. I've already discussed that incident a few times in this thread, but I'm happy to address it again.

Back in March, when I had been working at Kotaku for just over a month, I made two stupid mistakes. The first was posting a rumor that was, in retrospect, clearly fake. I hadn't been in the job long enough to see just how many photoshopped retail listings we see every day.

The second mistake was coming onto NeoGAF and acting like a jerk, for which I've apologized for. The problem with that mistake is that it made the story about me. Many other outlets reported that same thing, but the narrative changed because I got involved with the GAF discussion. That was a big mistake on my part.

Now personally, I don't think those mistakes mar all of the good work I've done over the past year, and I'd be happy to link you to some examples of what I think is good journalism I've done recently. (Not that you'd ever want to see those. Reinforcing preconceived notions, etc.)

But if you don't want to trust me again because of that March incident, that's okay. It makes me sad, and it's totally my fault, but as a reader, you are totally entitled to never trust me again because of something like that.

jschreier

But it's fine for this thread to become a thinly veiled advert for Kotaku?

You're a smart guy. Do you really think Kotaku needs advertising on NeoGAF?

I'm talking about Kotaku because that's where I work. If another journalist wants to come in and talk about their own outlet, that'd be great too! The more the merrier.

Branduil

"oh, I'm so persecuted! I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears."

shuffle the deck already.

Oh snap. I didn't know about that.

legacyzero

Banned

I'm talking about Kotaku because that's where I work. If another journalist wants to come in and talk about their own outlet, that'd be great too! The more the merrier.
Well, considering is seems you're backed up in a corner, here. Yeah that would be nice. LOL

Hasn't there been anybody notable in this thread besides you and Totillo?

Wait, so Jason is asking for specific evidence of terrible journalism from Kotaku when he himself was behind one of the bigger messes in recent years from over there? What a joke. I remember the thread but definitely didn't remember it was him, will not be forgetting that now.

Guys, guys, lets get back to the topic at hand...

games-journalismaf8t.gif

They're ALL pretty terrible at their job.

Oddduck

Wait, so Jason is asking for specific evidence of terrible journalism from Kotaku when he himself was behind one of the bigger messes in recent years from over there? What a joke. I remember the thread but definitely didn't remember it was him, will not be forgetting that now.

I'm not one for attacking Jason (since he did apologize for that incident), but I think Jason Schreier isn't the right person to be defending Kotaku, nor should he be throwing stones at others for gaming journalism mistakes when he lives in a glass house.

Dali

Sure. I asked for specifics, not specifics that will make me look good. I've already discussed that incident a few times in this thread, but I'm happy to address it again.

Back in March, when I had been working at Kotaku for just over a month, I made two stupid mistakes. The first was posting a rumor that was, in retrospect, clearly fake. I hadn't been in the job long enough to see just how many photoshopped retail listings we see every day.

The second mistake was coming onto NeoGAF and acting like a jerk, for which I've apologized for. The problem with that mistake is that it made the story about me. Many other outlets reported that same thing, but the narrative changed because I got involved with the GAF discussion. That was a big mistake on my part.

Now personally, I don't think those mistakes mar all of the good work I've done over the past year, and I'd be happy to link you to some examples of what I think is good journalism I've done recently. (Not that you'd ever want to see those. Reinforcing preconceived notions, etc.)

But if you don't want to trust me again because of that March incident, that's okay. It makes me sad, and it's totally my fault, but as a reader, you are totally entitled to never trust me again because of something like that.

I think the problem is these "mistakes" seem so prevalent in game journalism. Its like journalism 101. It should have been beaten in you guy's heads on the first day of school. "Check your sources!" Instead, seeing things like ign's metal gear "triology" and your copy pasta from another site are almost common place. Everyone's in such a rush to get the clicks they throw integrity out the window. Its just one aspect of why your chosen profession has earned itself a reputation of being a bit of a joke. Pay for review scores is another. Unhealthy relationships with publishers another.

Well, considering is seems you're backed up in a corner, here. Yeah that would be nice. LOL

Hasn't there been anybody notable in this thread besides you and Totillo?

Well Keighly is a pussy, guarantee he reads this thread but wouldn't touch it in a million years. After all his NeoGAF account really only posts in threads about work he's doing that's being praised by the userbase here. He really is a self-righteous prick.

jschreier

You think me posting an article labeled "rumor" with pictures that turned out to be incorrect was "one of the bigger messes in recent years"? Really? I would love to live on that planet.

Let's not blow things out of proportion here. While I'm certainly not defending my mistakes, I think this field has much, much bigger issues than someone accidentally posting fake pictures.

Hi Jason,

I wanted to say that I respect a lot of the things you have said in this thread.

I also want to explain why I don't go to Kotaku often. The thing is you have some good stuff, but it's hidden behind a lot of crap. I don't have the time to find the links to all the crap, partly because of the redesign of the site that you made quite a while ago which made a lot of things a lot harder to find, but I can tell you about some of the things that were driving me crazy about 4 or 5 years ago when I stopped visiting the site.

There was a lot of stupid content. For example, I remember a lot of posts (with pictures!) about pedo Japanese games. I would prefer if that kind of stuff didn't get any more attention than it needed to. I also remember a guy posting a video about driving in GTA4 when drunk in real life (with preceding posts to hype it up). Just as now, I also remember some quality stuff. I remember some good reviews (I like the fact that you don't do review scores), interesting leaks and longer investigative articles. Unfortunately, just like now, all of that good stuff was buried under a lot of crap. And because of the bad website design you have now it's even harder to find the good stuff.

But good news: from some of your posts in this thread, it seems like you are aware of what kind of things we like to read, and what kind we would really want to avoid. You have shown that by posting links to the good stuff. Unfortunately, I would never bother to look for that stuff unless you had pointed it out.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if writing only the good long-form stuff is too demanding and doesn't bring the clicks in, if you could implement a shit filter, or a "Jason's picks" list or whatever, I would probably visit the site and read those good articles only. As I have to look for it now, and don't have the time to wade through bad stuff (nor want to give clicks to bad stuff) I miss the good stuff. As you already seem to be aware of the kind of stuff we want to read, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

You think me posting an article labeled "rumor" with pictures that turned out to be incorrect was "one of the bigger messes in recent years"? Really? I would love to live on that planet.

Let's not blow things out of proportion here. While I'm certainly not defending my mistakes, I think this field has much, much bigger issues than someone accidentally posting fake pictures.

Not checking facts, then shooting your mouth off at the readers, is the definition of what this thread is about. Just because it was a small rumor (which it isn't, considering it would have been announcing four games bigger than the entire Vita library), doesn't excuse how you acted and the basic missteps you did for shitty journalism. If you want some pass because you were only working there for a month, you won't find it here.

legacyzero

Banned
Well Keighly is a pussy, guarantee he reads this thread but wouldn't touch it in a million years. After all his NeoGAF account really only posts in threads about work he's doing that's being praised by the userbase here. He really is a self-righteous prick.
I'm inclined to agree.

We should at least give Schreier credit for being here, even though the poor guy's getting chewed up and spat out. Man has some serious testes being in this thread :p

I mean, he could be all out avoiding the issue like Keighley.

Mario007

1) Did it really turn out to be completely wrong? When was the last time you saw Final Fantasy Versus XIII?

We reported that the game had either been cancelled or turned into Final Fantasy XV, and Square has not done a single thing to disprove that. Their president tweeted that it's still in production, yes. Because executives of big corporations never lie to protect their financial interests.

2) When Wada did tweet that, we immediately updated the story accordingly, as we always do. When we're wrong, we are happy to suck it up and admit to our mistakes for the sake of telling the truth.

And by the way, if you won't read outlets that are sometimes wrong, you should stay away from all newspapers, magazines, and websites. Have you seen the New York Times' corrections page? Every day they publish a giant list of all the facts they got wrong and mistakes they made in the previous day's paper.

3) How about all of the rumors we've reported based on "sources" that turned out to be true?

Like the fact that GTAV is set in LA with multiple protagonists, over a year before that news came out? http://kotaku.com/5853279/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters

Or the new Xbox's codename? http://kotaku.com/5885539/the-next-xbox-is-code+nameddurango

Or the new PlayStation's codename? http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

The list goes on and on.

No need to get too defensive, my bone to pick was with IGN rather than Kotak as I've implied, since IGN took your rumour and turned it into a pure fact, even had a podcast about it if I remember correctly.

Having said that, Wada did tweet that he was reviewing FF Versus 13, if I remember correctly and since then Tabata has teased Nomura showing 'future of Final Fantasy' soon, so it's definitely coming. Your rumour suggested that the company was gonna be quite about it till people forget about it which didn't happen either.

As I've said though, the IGN example is more synonymous with the behaviour that I dislike in gaming journalism.

McBradders

Not checking facts, then shooting your mouth off at the readers, is the definition of what this thread is about.
No. It isn't. Not even close. Sorry, but there can't be an attack on journalists "knowing less than some posters on GAF" when there are people participating in this thread who appear to be just as clueless.

jschreier

Not checking facts, then shooting your mouth off at the readers, is the definition of what this thread is about. Just because it was a small rumor (which it isn't, considering it would have been announcing four games bigger than the entire Vita library), doesn't excuse how you acted and the basic missteps you did for shitty journalism. If you want some pass because you were only working there for a month, you won't find it here.

Am I asking for a pass? Of course not. I'm not making excuses for my mistakes. But I suspect the only reason you think that incident is "one of the bigger messes in recent years" is because it blew up into a GAF thread about me.

That sort of mistake - someone publishing something that turns out to be incorrect - happens all the time in every single field of journalism. Again, have you seen the NYT corrections page recently? If you are looking for a journalist who never makes mistakes, good luck.

Frankly, a lot of games news sites have a vocal hatedom and will generate a pile of dismissive comments. IGN (who gained their hatedom with, amongst others, the God Hand review), Destuctoid (anything Sterling reviews), GameSpot (Kane & Lynch) and yes, Kotaku (a good 90% of anything Ashcraft writes), all have some people rolling their eyes as soon as they're mentioned. I suspect either Eurogamer (obvious fakes) or Edge (Driv3r, anyone?) will be next to have constant hecklers.

Dali

Yep, pretty much. It's good you apologized (after the rumor had been offically discredited) but attacking people for correctly pointing out how you'd been hoodwinked is the definition of unprofessional. Somethings can't just be wiped away with a late and grudgingly extended apology.

Oddduck

Frankly, a lot of games news sites have a vocal hatedom and will generate a pile of dismissive comments. IGN (who gained their hatedom with, amongst others, the God Hand review), Destuctoid (anything Sterling reviews), GameSpot (Kane & Lynch) and yes, Kotaku (a good 90% of anything Ashcraft writes), all have some people rolling their eyes as soon as they're mentioned. I suspect either Eurogamer (obvious fakes) or Edge (Driv3r, anyone?) will be next to have constant hecklers.

You know your site has made it in the big leagues when NeoGaf complains about you.

This thread is full of gems. That statement is absolutely ridiculous and you know it.

There's been many sites that have done great research into topics and interviewed tons of developers, and the writers don't get paid nor do they run a bunch of ads.

There's been people writing for fun that have done better job that most gaming "journalists".

I am curious if you even realize what this thread is about. The thread is about Games Journalism as a whole, Kotaku fits into that and some believe that it is one of the worst offenders, or has been in the past.

Pretty sure it isn't meant to be an aggregate for "good journalism".

I would assume you would prefer the name of your site to not be a punchline, as it has been for years.

It is symptomatic of the issues though, as simple fact checking would have shown why people called it fake almost as soon as it was posted, & given Kotakus prior record wrt fact-checking (& your terrible handling of people who pointed out your error) it is no surprise why people would assume it is just business as usual at Kotaku.

No. It isn't. Not even close. Sorry, but there can't be an attack on journalists "knowing less than some posters on GAF" when there are people participating in this thread who appear to be just as clueless.

This thread started as journalists being in cahoots with PR/publishers but has since snowballed into an OT on bad games journalism, correct? Jason not checking facts is bad journalism, right? Initially avoiding blame for its effect to other media outlets is bad journalism, no? Being childish and attacking your readers, and even banning them, is atrocious journalism... Agreed?

What am I missing here that my initial post doesn't stand?

jschreier

Yep, pretty much. It's good you apologized (after the rumor had been offically discredited) but attacking people for correctly pointing out how you'd been hoodwinked is the definition of unprofessional. Somethings can't just be wiped away with a late and grudgingly extended apology.

I don't recall attacking anyone for pointing out anything. A lot of the stuff that is still in that big GAF thread just straight-up isn't true. (Like me banning people from Kotaku.) It is unfortunate how people have skewed the story here.

Dali

Am I asking for a pass? Of course not. I'm not making excuses for my mistakes. But I suspect the only reason you think that incident is "one of the bigger messes in recent years" is because it blew up into a GAF thread about me.

That sort of mistake - someone publishing something that turns out to be incorrect - happens all the time in every single field of journalism. Again, have you seen the NYT corrections page recently? If you are looking for a journalist who never makes mistakes, good luck.

I appreciate your attempts tp downplay it but newspaper corrections are generally about minor factual errors, typos, and statistcal flubbs, contained within an article. Rarely is it "oh yeah guys about the artilce in yesterdays paper... ummm just disregard it in its entirety"

McBradders

This thread started as journalists being in cahoots with PR/publishers but has since snowballed into an OT on bad games journalism, correct? Jason not checking facts is bad journalism, right? Initially avoiding blame for its effect to other media outlets is bad journalism, no? Being childish and attacking your readers, and even banning them, is atrocious journalism... Agreed?

How is bringing up that example, repeatedly, at all productive? Jason is trying and gets "lol ur that guy" repeatedly. Productive. Helpful. Pertinent.

If GAF wants a better standard of journalism then how about starting with a better standard of discussion about how that's going to be achieved. It's not about demonising Kotaku or Schreier, all that's achieving is making this a circular non discussion and simply another pointless witch hunt for the guy in the thread making an actual effort.

jschreier

Folks, if you want to keep railing against me, feel free, but let's get some things straight.

If you read that entire thread from March, you'll see that at no point did I attack people for pointing out my error. I went into the thread to ask people how they knew the image was photoshopped, because I wanted to update the story if it was. I was a bit too hostile, and things escalated from there. People started bringing things from other forums into the mix, and somehow a bunch of lies came out about me banning people or attacking people or other such nonsense.

Again, I'm happy to admit to my mistakes, but let's make sure we have the full story here.

Dali

I don't recall attacking anyone for pointing out anything. A lot of the stuff that is still in that big GAF thread just straight-up isn't true. (Like me banning people from Kotaku.) It is unfortunate how people have skewed the story here.
Maybe attacking is th wrong word. Getting defensive and demanding others do your due diligence wasn't exactly the best way to take your lumps though.

Ugghhh... sorry dude. I feel like we're kind of getting to myopic with our focus on just you and your incident. Its a perfect example of why people are so mistrustful of games journalists though.

jschreier

I appreciate your attempts tp downplay it but newspaper corrections are generally about minor factual errors, typos, and statistcal flubbs, contained within an article. Rarely is it "oh yeah guys about the artilce in yesterdays paper... ummm just disregard it in its entirety"

Of course. It happens - and it's happened to the New York Times, even - but it's not common. But the web is a different beast, and sometimes every website posts things that they're not sure are true. It's my job as a reporter to both vet that information and make it as clear as possible when I don't know something is true. In this case, I should have known that retail listings are sketchy in the first place, and stayed away from that story, even as I saw other gaming outlets cover it. But I did make it very clear that we didn't know whether it was true.

There's been many sites that have done great research into topics and interviewed tons of developers, and the writers don't get paid nor do they run a bunch of ads.

There's been people writing for fun that have done better job that most gaming "journalists".

Its still a "Job". Saying it isn't is asinine.

jschreier

Maybe attacking is th wrong word. Getting defensive and demanding others do your due diligence wasn't exactly the best way to take your lumps though.

Ugghhh... sorry dude. I feel like we're kind of getting to myopic with our focus on just you and your incident. Its a perfect example of why people are so mistrustful of games journalists though.

Do you think that mistake mars all of the other work I've done over the past year? Because I find it baffling that the same people who harp on me for that incident are happy to read news I break and post in threads about stories I've written.

Oddduck

If GAF wants a better standard of journalism then how about starting with a better standard of discussion about how that's going to be achieved. It's not about demonising Kotaku or Schreier, all that's achieving is making this a circular non discussion and simply another pointless witch hunt for the guy in the thread making an actual effort.

Personally, the one thing that bothers me about this thread is Gaf is expecting better standards in journalism, but a 12 page false thread like the link below gets posted on Neogaf which ends up with Gaf witch hunting/trashing a single person (in this case, a false story about Paul Gale getting SCEA people fired) before facts are revealed. It bothers me because GAF is cited as a source for news at a lot of sites.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493575

And in this situation, it wasn't an average Gaf user who posted the information. It was a moderator.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Nothing, you're spot on.

Like I stated in this thread months back: Jason has this... I don't want to say "complex," but... complex where he WANTS everyone to like him. But the reality is that isn't going to happen.

Yes, it's good he's taking criticism about Kotaku to heart and trying to bring more interesting articles out for the benefit of the site, but at the same time he needs to stop taking things so personally. Jackpot is on point with attacking him with examples. Jason can ignore those posts and go back to being business as usual or take some notes from why he's being attacked (banning people that point out his error is poor form, why wasn't this common sense?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom