• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2017

Icolin

Banned
There isn't a good choice to get a screenshot of Hayden from. All of his movies are varying degrees of shit.

But hey, he's from Vancouver. That's cool I guess.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Top 5 First Watches of July
1. Baby Driver
2. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
3. A Quiet Passion
4. The Beguiled
5. Jagga Jasoos

War for the Planet of the Apes
So tasteful and restrained that it barely makes any impression. Stitched together from a bunch of other war and prison escape movies, with no really original turns, and everything is telegraphed. The series is out of steam - the thrill of just watching the apes and marvelling at their society is gone. Basically just serviceable entertainment.

Giacchino can't help but make everything sound like a cartoon, which is great for the fairly light recent Mission Impossible movies or Star Trek or Pixar, but not so fitting here.

Second month in a row where I was hooked on Shaw Brothers films. There's not much better than watching The Avenging Eagle on an oppressively hot sunday afternoon.

Top new watches of July:

1. The Avenging Eagle
2. One-Armed Swordsman (1967)
3. Shaolin Intruders
4. The New One-Armed Swordsman
5. Disciples of the 36th Chamber
6. Shaolin Mantis
7. Shaolin Martial Arts
8. Masked Avengers
9. Killer Constable
10. The Sentimental Swordsman
11. Killer Clans
12. Return of the Sentimental Swordsman
13. Martial Arts of Shaolin
14. The Bastard Swordsman

I love the three-section staff, so that biased me in favor of The Avenging Eagle. Also liked
how the protagonists brutally ambushed their enemies, there should be no ideal "fair fight" in this kind of a story.
gtM9ef9.jpg

Shaolin Intruders is one of the very best, with an involving detective story, a charismatic and funny Jason Pai Piao, and some unique fight scenes (the wire-work is more prominent than usual, including a great fight on a stack of chairs that foretells the Iron Monkey wooden pole fight).
UkO3oN9.jpg

The New One-Armed Swordsman has little of the genuine feeling of loss of the original, so it does drag in a few places. What makes it great is Ku Feng's magnificent villain, the real star of the show. It would be worth watching for his scenes alone.
fJXNeqr.jpg

The only two I didn't really like were Martial Arts of Shaolin (hard to describe why this doesn't work, when Jet Li is actually quite good in it, but somehow the whole thing feels way off) and The Bastard Swordsman (I'm generally not a big fan of shooting lasers/magic at each other, but I couldn't find much to recommend this even aside from that).

Have you seen the whole 36th Chamber trilogy? Disciples of the 36th Chamber is a must, some incredibly strong choreography in that and a great star turn from Hou Hsiao (and a big upgrade from his stupid comic relief role in Return to the 36th Chamber). Also, you gotta see Legendary Weapons of China if you haven't. Talking about Lau's own skills as a fighter, they're on full display in that film. The climax is glorious. It's essential viewing.

Yeah, Disciples is great (haven't seen Return though). Hou Hsiao is awesome because he can make everything look so natural. Have you seen Mad Monkey Kung Fu? I feel like that takes even more advantage of his acrobatic ability.

Will be seeing Legendary Weapons of China this month.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Land Of Mine: 7/10. Pretty much played out how I thought it would. Really tense with the threat of blowing up followed by people getting blown up. Still good though.
Eddie Murphy: Delirious: 6/10. LOL FAGGOTS AND AIDS. Someone on Letterboxd put it pretty well, this movie dares you to make it through the first 10 minutes, which is some of the most offensive shit ever filmed. It's offensive now and make no mistake it was offensive then. Anyway, there's some pretty good stuff after that. Absolutely crazy that he was only 22 when he did this.
Ratcatcher: 9/10. Rewatch, still one of my favorite foreign language films. Filled with gorgeous shots of unrelenting poverty and one of the most devastating final frames of any film. Kills me every time. We Need To Talk About Kevin was such a disappointment for me, looks like there's a couple in the middle here I'll try to catch up with before You Were Never Really Here.

Unducks

Neo Member
Second month in a row where I was hooked on Shaw Brothers films. There's not much better than watching The Avenging Eagle on an oppressively hot sunday afternoon.

What are your top three or so so far? What would you recommend for someone who's only seen parts of a few Shaw Brothers movies?

Icolin

Banned
Ratcatcher: 9/10. Rewatch, still one of my favorite foreign language films. Filled with gorgeous shots of unrelenting poverty and one of the most devastating final frames of any film. Kills me every time. We Need To Talk About Kevin was such a disappointment for me, looks like there's a couple in the middle here I'll try to catch up with before You Were Never Really Here.

Morvern Callar is great, especially the soundtrack, with the likes of Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, etc. Samantha Morton's good as always too.

I'm glad you asked!

After seeing Dunkirk, I feel like that this would be more the kind of film that people that didn't like it, wanted instead, as it's very much character-driven. As I mentioned, the biggest issue I had with it was the conventional way that they approached it with, but I do give it a lot of credit for not being particularly kind to the Danish army and their treatment of German POWs.
Awesome. I've seen posters for Land Of Mine here in central London and was curious to check it out after Dunkirk. After reading your review, will do so!

Morvern Callar is great, especially the soundtrack, with the likes of Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, etc. Samantha Morton's good as always too.
Morvern Callar and Ratcatcher are brilliant. I would recommend watching this video essay on Lynne Ramsay by Every Frame A Painting:
https://youtu.be/KjY9kf7TuUU

Pachimari

I've been following the production of Land of Mine and it's weird seeing it come up now again since it's a movie from 2015. I haven't seen it myself cause I thought it looked dreadful and I'm no fan of our movies here in Denmark, but I guess I should give it a watch at least this month.

Mi goreng

Didn't manage to watch much last month.

New watches
1. Fantastic Mr Fox
2. The Holy Mountain

Booked tickets to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer on the 14th. Colin Farrell & Lanthimos are the dream team, very much looking forward to this.

Icolin

Banned
I've been following the production of Land of Mine and it's weird seeing it come up now again since it's a movie from 2015. I haven't seen it myself cause I thought it looked dreadful and I'm no fan of our movies here in Denmark, but I guess I should give it a watch at least this month.

Really? You guys have Von Trier and Vinterberg.

Pachimari

Really? You guys have Von Trier and Vinterberg.

I don't even know who Vinterberg is, but Susanne Bier seems to be doing interesting work. I also love Nicolas Refn and his movies, especially The Neon Demon. And when it comes to Von Trier, he has some interesting concepts, and I absolutely love Antichrist but can't say the same for the rest of his work. Nymphomaniac was quite the watch to say the least.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

I'd never even heard of it but it popped up on my Letterboxd feed (thanks Ridley). It's a legit good movie, nothing about it says shitty movie from Denmark, whatever that means.

Ridley327

FWIW, it didn't see release in the US until a little earlier this year, as it was Denmark's submission for the Foreign Film Oscar and made it to the list of nominees.

Blader

Top 5 new watches of July:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
2. Dunkirk
3. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril
4. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
5. The Beguiled (2017)

Worst movie of July:
The Lego Batman Movie, with Kong: Skull Island a close runner-up

kevin1025

Banned
I will probably have too many posts in this month's thread, just warning ahead of time, haha.

Netflix Canada added a chunk of movies I've been dying to see. Plus I'm probably going to the theatre too much.

All in the name of science!

Not a fan of Danish films? Well the ones that got exported to the UK are great.

A Hijacking (2012)
The Commune (2016)
Men and Chicken (2015)
Klown (2010)
A Royal Affair (2012)
A War (2015)
Applause (2009) haven't seen this one, though

Not to mention more well known filmmakers like Vinterberg, LVT, NWR churning out great films.

Darkland (2017) looks pretty hype for a gangster film, with Pusher vibes. Directed by a Danish Iraqi (Fenar Ahmad) with Arab characters, that's pretty new. I should see this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0C2i_Jmh90

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Jezus, took me a while too before I realised Land of Mine is the English title of Under Sandet. That movie was a punch to the gut.

If you want some (slightly) lighter fare still involving landmines, watch No Man's Land.
Okay I lied this movie is also pretty dark.

I wasn't sure if I could properly judge Girl's Trip since I only watched a third of it, about 40 minutes, before leaving the cinema because I could tell this wasn't the film for me. I'd like to say it was boring, crude and humourless jokes and punchlines, stereotyped characters, shocking lack of chemistry between the character, and a poor script. But then it occured to me, aside from skipping more than half of the film, perhaps a film like this just isn't catered to 24 year old white men? Not that it makes my perception of it being bad change, just that clearly other people have enjoyed this far more than I did, and thats a good thing! I just really hated it, and thought it was aggresively unfunny and horrible.

I'm feeling too lazy to really give any of those big write ups for a bunch of new movies I've seen in the last few weeks so I'll just dump this out now:

Dunkirk - all the technical elements in here were A1. beautiful cinematography, sound design, editing etc. made for a unique war movie that focused more on the suspenseful aspect of being at war. loved it, Nolan's leanest work ever and one of his best. Tom Hardy and Mark Rylance were great. Hardy only has like 2 lines but this boy got so much screen charisma now that its enough. felt like Nolan was showing off his skills to the movies detriment with the cutting between different timelines, would have served the movie and thrills better if it went for a more conventional structure imo.

The Big Sick - for my brown brothers. its the usual solid romantic comedy/drama you get every once in a while but the cultural element in here adds a lot. I identified with it quite a bit since non-muslim relationships and hell...unmarried relationships are taboo with some of my family members. I had to sneak around a lot while I lived at my parent's house :(

a lot of humor is derived from the pakistani fuckery in this film. I hope Kumail Nanjiani and his wife get a best screenplay nomination out of it. oh and Holly Hunter and Ray Romano are so good in here as his girlfriend's parents. Cast them in more stuff please, both were some of my favorite characters all year. Holly should be in everything.

War for Planet of the Apes - satisfying conclusion to the caesar trilogy but much different than what was marketed. honestly it reminded me a bit of those old biblical epics combined with a revenge western. also got a little Great Escape vibe from it too. Did not expect any of this going in (but I was happy with those comparisons). Once again like the last film Reeves is more than willing to slow down the movie to afford the characters some depth which is great for a big budget blockbuster. it falls short of Dawn though imo because this time the humans are given much less to work with as the focus is now shifted entirely onto the ape characters, also it feels like its rushing to get to the Charlton Heston movie with a plot point that they introduce which felt tacked on.

BUT, just like in Dawn's case the movie looks great (both the CGI and cinematography is tight) and the action is shot well. Matt Reeves is damn good at what he does. making crowd pleasing blockbusters with some solid character work, I really hope he brings this heat to Batman.

also its pretty crazy that a talking ape was the most engaging character in any franchise currently running right now lmao.

revised Top 10 of the year:

1. Baby Driver
2. Dunkirk
3. The Big Sick
4. Logan
5. War for Planet of the Apes
6. Split
7. I dont feel at home in this world anymore
8. It Comes at Night
9. Get Out
10. John Wick 2

and I also rewatched the Man With No Name trilogy and god damn, as good as ever. Clint in the Leone movies has to be in the running for GOAT movie hero. it helps that he had such iconic direction and music to back him up as well.

Fistful of Dollars - stupid ass dubbed kid, simplified Yojimbo remake but with a lead actor with even more swag (dont @ me on this), whew
For a Few Dollars More - whewwww
The Good the Bad and the Ugly - wheewwwwwwwwww

Continuing with Kubrick.

Spartacus

51196-spartacus-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Spartacus, one of those famous sword-and-sandal movies. The sheer scope of the production is awesome, they had a staff of over 10000 real people.

It was pretty entertaining for me despite it's long runtime, but I barely watched any movie in this genre, so that's a plus.

It's probably less of a "Kubrick-movie" than others because of it's mainstream appeal.

Bittersweet
ending, great atmosphere, good actors, story is probably cliché, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Final Note: Braveheart took quite some inspiration from this movie? I can't be the only one thinking this? ^^

Divius

It's probably less of a "Kubrick-movie" than others because of it's mainstream appeal

From Wikipedia:

Kirk Douglas, whose Bryna Productions company was producing the film, removed original director Anthony Mann after the first week of shooting. Kubrick, with whom Douglas had worked before, was brought on board to take over direction.[4] It is the only film directed by Kubrick where he did not have complete artistic control.

shaneo632

Valerian (2017) - 6.2/10. Holy FUCK this was a crazy movie. It's definitely all over the place and way too long, but I really admired its ambition and the overall execution. Cara was surprisingly charming though I thought the romance was pretty flat and Dane Dehaan was miscast.

Ethan Hawke and Rihanna cameos were AMAZING. The visuals were pretty jaw-dropping for the most part. It's a shame the film bombed but I'm just glad something so out-there exists on such a monstrous budget. Trippy.

Toys: It's like if Willy Wonka made toys instead of chocolate, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. The factory is in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a field surrounding it. There's a single-lane paved road going up to it. That's the kind of eccentricity you get here. At least they acknowledge the video game industry, use VR, and even predict the use of drones, but it's more like Afterburner and not watching a black-and-white screen with a minute of input lag. I didn't like this as a kid (I'm not even sure if I've seen the whole thing, hence why I'm posting the review here and not Letterboxd), and I certainly understand why. Without the aesthetics of the factory and the climactic toy war, it's actually kind of boring. That's really all the movie has going for it, unlike Willy Wonka which had more distinct characters and was a musical.

Icolin

Banned
Valerian (2017) - 6.2/10. Holy FUCK this was a crazy movie. It's definitely all over the place and way too long, but I really admired its ambition and the overall execution. Cara was surprisingly charming though I thought the romance was pretty flat and Dane Dehaan was miscast.

Ethan Hawke and Rihanna cameos were AMAZING. The visuals were pretty jaw-dropping for the most part. It's a shame the film bombed but I'm just glad something so out-there exists on such a monstrous budget. Trippy.

...Where's that Emoji Movie review.

shaneo632

The Emoji Movie (2017) - 2.4/10 - Jesus fucking Christ. It's apparent there is some satirical potential here with its occasionally self-aware comments about the soullessness of emojis...but it's basically just an 80 minute advert for Dropbox, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Just Dance etc.

It got progressively worse as it went along, starting off bland and getting aggressively annoying by the end. And overall I just wonder who it was made for; there are quite a lot of adult gags but adults will surely find this too inane, teenagers would probably find it "lame", and do little kids even have smartphones?

I will disagree with one talking point though; the animation was fine. There are plenty of reasons to shit on this movie, but it certainly didn't look ugly (not that it looked fantastic either).

I heard some kid saying they thought it was better than Inside Out. Pretty sure I left a piece of my soul in the cinema.

chekhonte

Rewatched Mulholland Drive for the first time in probably 10 years. I was surprised at how much it shared with Lost Highway as opposed to Inland Empire. I was also surprised at how much more I like Inland Empire and the new season of Twin Peaks.

jtb

Banned
I (kind of) hate the Big Sick and Master of None because they define 'normalcy' as whiteness. It's a little unsettling to frame the experience of a person of color in America with assimilation as the mandatory endgame.

But I think my issue with them is more the way they're framed critically, like 'see, make shows with people of color in them [because see they're just like us and will be happy to act like white people]" It's gross and rubs off when I'm watching them

Actually Master of None is just garbage trash regardless. The Big Sick is good. I like Kumail a lot.

Gastone

Your Name
Gorgeous visuals and i loved the artwork. The story was entertaining and i really enjoyed the two characters and their quest to
unravel the past and meet eachother

The Wall
I'm kind of a sucker for war movies, and this was no exception. Very entertaining and suspenseful, and i really liked seeing Cena in Johnson in serious roles. Was a fresh take on the whole sniper-standoff i thought. Absolutely loved the ending.

smisk

Master of None is just garbage trash regardless.

This is just an awful take. To me Master of None (Season 2 specifically) felt like a series of short films, with it's constant changes in both cinematography and style of storytelling. And it does a hell of a better job at showcasing diverse characters than almost anything else out there.

Toa TAK

Banned
We Need to Talk About Kevin-

One of the scariest movies I've seen. The entire film is wrought with tension and even though you know full well the outcome early on (as it's revealed to you in the beginning), the step by step motions leading up to it is unnerving. Seeing every important beat in Kevin's development as it involves the rest of his family and his violent tendencies is absolutely soul crushing because it comes off like a car wreck in slow motion. There's just no stopping it, no matter how hard the mother tries. I don't think the film, or at least I wouldn't. put the blame on the mother for the incident and what becomes of her son. The father didn't get to see the real side of his son, and after everything the mother is the one that's left to suffer. Though, I did find the ending fitting, because despite it all, the estranged relationship between Eva and Kevin is still something Eva chooses to grasp to. Maybe out of loneliness or because of that bond between mother and child but it wasn't what I had expected. One of Tilda Swinton's best.

White God-

A ruff watch seeing the lead dog go through everything from rape to dog fighting, but despite the climax reaching almost absurd levels (the story feels very believable up until the actual escape of what seems like hundreds of dogs), it still manages to resonate and pauses about not only the treatment of animals, but each other. Funky cinematography aside (I hope you enjoy unnecessary zoom-ins), I was really impressed with how the animals were trained and how convincing the violence looked. There's a few moments where you can tell there's some really poor CG blood, but other than that I don't know how they've gotten dogs to be trained so well to be able to convey their own motivations and communication on screen with each other. Really impressive work. I had thought the subplot with the girl would've led to something bigger, as her just not needing or wanting the dog anymore, but when she goes back out to find him in the climax it doesn't feel like she really grew at all during the time they were separated. Still, an appropriately bittersweet ending. I dug it.

Colossal-

Finally got to dig into this, and I'm glad it was able to subvert my expectations on the inevitable climax, and thought it was a little bit clever as opposed to them going straightforward with the finale. Anne Hathaway's performance is her best in a long time (maybe since Les Misérables?) and Jason Sudeikis (which is also the best thing he's been in), while you can easily see where they take him, it's the build up to it that's great. Both of them absolutely sell this silly premise, which in of itself can easily just fall apart but it doesn't. The balance of its many genres manages not to trip over itself and still deliver on an end to each of these characters that feel true to themselves while not giving in one way or another to genre expectations. Also really loved McCreary's theme and how flexible it sounded at the end of the film.

jtb

Banned
This is just an awful take. To me Master of None (Season 2 specifically) felt like a series of short films, with it's constant changes in both cinematography and style of storytelling. And it does a hell of a better job at showcasing diverse characters than almost anything else out there.

Master of None has always felt too constructed for me. It's too sterile, free from any pressures or tensions. And when it isn't, it reverts to formula.

The show needs an actual lead character. Aziz takes too many shortcuts relying on the fact that Dev is clearly a stand-in for him.

White God-

A ruff watch seeing the lead dog go through everything from rape to dog fighting, but despite the climax reaching almost absurd levels (the story feels very believable up until the actual escape of what seems like hundreds of dogs), it still manages to resonate and pauses about not only the treatment of animals, but each other. Funky cinematography aside (I hope you enjoy unnecessary zoom-ins), I was really impressed with how the animals were trained and how convincing the violence looked. There's a few moments where you can tell there's some really poor CG blood, but other than that I don't know how they've gotten dogs to be trained so well to be able to convey their own motivations and communication on screen with each other. Really impressive work. I had thought the subplot with the girl would've led to something bigger, as her just not needing or wanting the dog anymore, but when she goes back out to find him in the climax it doesn't feel like she really grew at all during the time they were separated. Still, an appropriately bittersweet ending. I dug it.

I saw this at a film festival when it was first making the rounds. Really, really great film. I even kinda like the bad CG blood. There's something I really enjoyed about how the first two-thirds of the film are this hard-hitting realist drama, and then it... kinda-sorta almost turns into something akin to a zombie film for the last act. Yet, it doesn't feel out of place. The carnage of the last act is earned because of the horrors of the first two.

Feel like I should be able to say more about The Beguiled but aside from Philippe Le Sourd's gorgeous cinematography (shot on film) and good acting across the board, there isn't much to discuss. The charming but duplicitous Colin Farrell turns this from a dime store romance novel into a soap drama level of thriller. The Civil War setting makes it feel more sophisticated than it really is. It's certainly a more restrained film than the director's previous efforts, where the music only really comes into the third act when it's popping off. It's pretty good and Sofia Coppola's best film since Lost In Translation but that's not exactly a high bar :p

Blader

I (kind of) hate the Big Sick and Master of None because they define 'normalcy' as whiteness. It's a little unsettling to frame the experience of a person of color in America with assimilation as the mandatory endgame.

But I think my issue with them is more the way they're framed critically, like 'see, make shows with people of color in them [because see they're just like us and will be happy to act like white people]" It's gross and rubs off when I'm watching them

Actually Master of None is just garbage trash regardless. The Big Sick is good. I like Kumail a lot.

Other than that I think it's unfair to criticize shows/movies for how others perceive them, I don't think "put more people of color in film/TV because they'll be happy to act like white people for our amusement" is even close to the critical perception of those works. Well, I can't comment on The Big Sick as I haven't seen it yet (though I have a hard time believing there are any critics who boil down the movie's lead to "I like Kumail because he seems white"). But, for Master of None at least, I think using that show as an example for why more diversity in TV is both a good thing on its own merits but also something that can resonate with anyone has nothing to do with "cast more black and brown leads because they'll be happy to act like white people" and more, if not everything, to do with "cast more black and brown leads because they bring something different to the table but at the same time also aren't this horribly alien, unrelatable presence that you think they are and rationalize as not wanting to give them a show in the first place."

Also Master of None is fantastic, especially the second season
but I am white

jtb

Banned
Honestly it's been months since I've seen Master of None so I've forgotten all the nuances that triggered this reaction, so all I have left is this lukewarm take.

Other than that I think it's unfair to criticize shows/movies for how others perceive them, I don't think "put more people of color in film/TV because they'll be happy to act like white people for our amusement" is even close to the critical perception of those works. Well, I can't comment on The Big Sick as I haven't seen it yet (though I have a hard time believing there are any critics who boil down the movie's lead to "I like Kumail because he seems white"). But, for Master of None at least, I think using that show as an example for why more diversity in TV is both a good thing on its own merits but also something that can resonate with anyone has nothing to do with "cast more black and brown leads because they'll be happy to act like white people" and more, if not everything, to do with "cast more black and brown leads because they bring something different to the table but at the same time also aren't this horribly alien, unrelatable presence that you think they are and rationalize as not wanting to give them a show in the first place."

Also Master of None is fantastic, especially the second season
but I am white

Isn't the unspoken assumption that 'black and brown leads don't lead alien lives that are unlike our own'? (Hence they are 'relatable')

What if white people can't relate to the lives of people of color - or shouldn't be able to? What if the lives of people of color are strange and alien and completely unlike the white experience? (And why do they have to be measured against the white experience in the first place?)

I don't know. It's a little unsettling to me that white people see more of themselves in the show than I do. But maybe I've just led a bitter life.

Top Bottom