• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Announce Fifth Album out in October

Just finished listening to it. I'm not exactly a huge fan of brand new as I've always felt they were insanely overrated by their fans to the point of annoyance. That said, it was an enjoyable album, one that I'll happily listen to again. Nothing groundbreaking, in my opinion, which is par for the course as far is this band goes.

oh, good, galactictoast. I'm just glad your personal subjective views were reinforced.
Am I not allowed to post my opinion? I said from the beginning that I'm not a fan of the band. I still enjoy the album. I did not want to just come in and shit on the band, which I didn't, with out stating my initial negativity towards them. Ffs

Lender

Still loving this album. Played this in the store where I work at and a lot of people enjoyed it as well.

Still hard to pick a favorite song. Lit Me Up is definitely up there, I just adore the atmosphere coming from that track. So moody and dark, and the guitar is exquisite.

Audioboxer

Devoted fans are really devoted.

I have personally bought 4 copies. Three vinyl variants and grabbed it digitally on iTunes.

Maybe I'm one of those fans.

You're suffering from grieving that this is the final album. The band put out a shit album but many big fans cannot accept this album is the last thing they'll ever make so convince themselves it's the album of forever and buy 40 copies.

The superior fans like myself can listen and say, Deja/Devil and God and Daisy are far better, thanks for all the amazing music Brand New but you've proved this is the end. Wish you'd gone out with a bang, but a few okay songs aside this album won't be remembered well. Like, it really won't be remembered at all in 3 years. Your live shows would be terrible playing most of this album too. A decent album at a stretch, but a shitty Brand New album. Final tour next year on old albums please <3

don't take the bait. somewhat serious though ;D

You're suffering from grieving that this is the final album. The band put out a shit album but many big fans cannot accept this album is the last thing they'll ever make so convince themselves it's the album of forever and buy 40 copies.

The superior fans like myself can listen and say, Deja/Devil and God and Daisy are far better, thanks for all the amazing music Brand New but you've proved this is the end. Wish you'd gone out with a bang, but a few okay songs aside this album won't be remembered well. Like, it really won't be remembered at all in 3 years. Your live shows would be terrible playing most of this album too. A decent album at a stretch, but a shitty Brand New album. Final tour next year on old albums please <3

don't take the bait. somewhat serious though ;D
Come on its not shit (except Batter Up). Yeah its not as good as Daisy and Devil & God, but its pretty much exactly what everyone expected for an album. It was pretty obvious based on the shows recently based on the setlists and what Out of Range & Sealed to Me sound like.

And you really think 137. 451, Can't Get it Out, Lit Me Up (as an opener), Same Logic/Teeth In the Water and Out of Mana wouldn't be good live? Come on dude, you are just being over dramatic.

And we already had a tour for an old album last year for the 10th anniversary of the Devil and God. There won't be another like that unless their last tour is playing their entire discography.

Servbot24

Banned
Wait what the heck are you people talking about? Do fans not like this album? Literally everywhere I've looked other than the last couple posts indicate that it's universally loved.

Wait what the heck are you people talking about? Do fans not like this album? Literally everywhere I've looked other than the last couple posts indicate that it's universally loved.
Very small minority really dislike it.

My personal opinion of it after listening to it all the way through 11 times, the only awful song is Batter Up. Even as a slow song, it's just really bad and it sucks it's the last song discography wise for them. Everything else is great or perfection. 451 is one of the best songs BN has ever made.

Audioboxer

Come on its not shit (except Batter Up). Yeah its not as good as Daisy and Devil & God, but its pretty much exactly what everyone expected for an album. It was pretty obvious based on the shows recently based on the setlists and what Out of Range & Sealed to Me sound like.

And you really think 137. 451, Can't Get it Out, Lit Me Up (as an opener), Same Logic/Teeth In the Water and Out of Mana wouldn't be good live? Come on dude, you are just being over dramatic.

And we already had a tour for an old album last year for the 10th anniversary of the Devil and God. There won't be another like that unless their last tour is playing their entire discography.

It's okay I know right now I'm the asshole against popular opinion, but in a few years we'll have people say "that guy Audioboxer was right" ;D

groansey

Batter Up is one of the best songs on the album.

And not as good as Daisy!? Puh-lease.

Devil & God > Deja Entendu > 2006 Demos > Science Fiction > Daisy > MFW

Science Fiction may move up the ranking over time. It's like the lovechild of Deja and Daisy.

Audioboxer

Science Fiction may move up the ranking over time. It's like the lovechild of Deja and Daisy.

Daisy has some shite songs on it, hence Devil and God and Deja are better overall. You Stole, Sink and Bought a Bride are god-tier though. Bed is a chill Brand New song that is decent (not as good as You Stole, which does liven up too). It's not that I don't like slower/chill Brand New songs, Science Fiction just feels like it's lacking effort/emotion for me. Especially from Jesse. It genuinely sounds like he can't be fucked anymore.

this is their best album. I can't believe that you think he sounds like he "can't be fucked anymore". his lyrics here and his voice is stronger than it has ever been. it really is a victory lap.

I love it.

I know the thread died but I couldn't let the last line be "he sounds like he can't be fucked" because it's not true. he can be fucked.

Tall4Life

this is their best album. I can't believe that you think he sounds like he "can't be fucked anymore". his lyrics here and his voice is stronger than it has ever been. it really is a victory lap.

I love it.

I know the thread died but I couldn't let the last line be "he sounds like he can't be fucked" because it's not true. he can be fucked.

you have a positive message

Tall4Life

blame space what's your favorite song on this album

mine's probably can't get it out, one of the most mature songs about depression and that emotional catharsis that i've heard

I literally cannot stop listening to Can't Get It Out, Same Logic/Teeth and 451.

halp this is not healthy. According to Itunes I have 100 listens for each already. Still don't like Batter Up, I honestly think its overall Brand New's worst song.

jlwb4do29elz.jpg

Setlist from Warfield last night....wew. Lit Me Up opening is so lit. Sowing Season as closer is very intersting. So pissed I don't have tickets for Boston right now, fuck scalpers and bots.

Yeah I'm pissed ATL is sold out already, after seeing them there last year I may just drive further to SC to see them again.
Ticketmaster was fucked up on pre sale and normal sale and tons of people couldn't get tickets. Bots had no problem. Cheapest Boston ticket right now is $100 on StubHub and I need 3 total. I have never had an issue with getting Brand New tickets before.

Cronen

Someone periscoped their High & Low festival set, and it has since been uploaded on to YouTube: link

The new songs sound great, and the stuff they do with the 'wall' going up and down is pretty cool too.

Someone periscoped their High & Low festival set, and it has since been uploaded on to YouTube: link

The new songs sound great, and the stuff they do with the 'wall' going up and down is pretty cool too.

I saw them last night at the Warfield and was blown away by their whole set and use of the wall+projector. The whole opening to Lit Me Up gave me chills.

Listened to the new album enough now to give my hot take:

Devil and God = Daisy > SF > Deja > 2006 > YFW

It's hard to rank Brand New albums. Honestly, I think their most consistent album is Deja Entendu, which you'll see I have in the middle. That's because the highs on Devil/Daisy are just so fucking high. You Won't Know, Bought a Bride, Sink, Degausser, etc... These albums, SF included, have lower lows than Deja (Be Gone, In a Jar, Never Be Heaven, Luca). But the highs are just so high.

SF has a couple of my favorite Brand New songs (451 and Same Logic/Teeth are top tier), but overall the album is just too mellow for me. Needed more tracks like 451. A lot of the tracks sound really same-y.

groansey

I think it sits in 3rd place for me behind D&G and Deja...
but I do love it.

I think you can't escape the fact this was a hard album for them to make and it shows. Some of the songs are literally about how difficult is was to write.

A follow-up to Deja, by way of the less heavy parts of Daisy. And it's great, my album of the year so far, I prefer it to the new National album. But it's also more of a victory lap than a main course... to mix metaphors.

akileese

Bumping this to let y'all know that NADA SURF is going to play with them. I barely remember anything by them that wasn't "Popular" but it should be fun.

Listened to the new album enough now to give my hot take:

Devil and God = Daisy > SF > Deja > 2006 > YFW

It's hard to rank Brand New albums. Honestly, I think their most consistent album is Deja Entendu, which you'll see I have in the middle. That's because the highs on Devil/Daisy are just so fucking high. You Won't Know, Bought a Bride, Sink, Degausser, etc... These albums, SF included, have lower lows than Deja (Be Gone, In a Jar, Never Be Heaven, Luca). But the highs are just so high.

SF has a couple of my favorite Brand New songs (451 and Same Logic/Teeth are top tier), but overall the album is just too mellow for me. Needed more tracks like 451. A lot of the tracks sound really same-y.

Daisy is the hardest album to rank. Everyone you talk to either has it in their top 2 or dead last. I personally have them ranked in the same order as you if I absolutely have to rank them. YFW is tough too since a lot of us were angsty teenagers when we started listening to Brand New and YFW spoke to that deeply. It really feels like their music ages with their fan base. SF & Daisy to me are much darker albums than YFW or Deja.

Amory

I really think this is their best album. And I never thought TDAGARIM would be dethroned

Its such a mellow listen and its fantastic top to bottom. "Waste", "Lit me Up", and "Same Logic" are personal favorites, right up there with the best songs theyve ever had

Media

I agree with everything here Sept I'd switch demos with Science Fiction

Dan-o

Been listening to this pretty regularly the last little bit.
Right now, I'd say I'm at:

Devil & God > SF > Daisy > Deja* > Demos > IaaN & Mene > YFW

*while Deja is what got me into the band, I have a harder time still appreciating those songs anymore. That said, a few track still stand out... Guernica is amazing to me.
The demos... I haven't listened to them much. Same for IaaN & Mene.
Never got into YFW... sorry OG BN fans.

Seeing them on the 23rd at the Hippodrome in Maryland, can’t wait :)

Nice!

Im ordering tickets to see them in Boston (anyone else going to the Boston show)??

Anyone else been on a Brand New binge recently? That's all I have been listening to. I feel like I'm back in HS/college again.

bonesquad

After a less than stellar past few weeks, I'm extremely excited to see Brand New tonight!

I specifically stopped my Brand New binging after Science Fiction released so as not to burn out. As if that was possible.

hampig

After a less than stellar past few weeks, I'm extremely excited to see Brand New tonight!

I specifically stopped my Brand New binging after Science Fiction released so as not to burn out. As if that was possible.

Saw them last night in Detroit. I've seen them 3 times now, but the first two times may as well have never happened. They're putting on a mind blowing show.

Their opener seriously blew my mind, such amazing visuals, and
that bass drop.
The whole show was really great though, could not be happier. That cage thing they're using is too damn cool.

bonesquad

Saw them last night in Detroit. I've seen them 3 times now, but the first two times may as well have never happened. They're putting on a mind blowing show.

that bass drop.
The whole show was really great though, could not be happier. That cage thing they're using is too damn cool.

Wow. You were not kidding. Amazing show. And that cage thing was cool. The last time I saw them they played The Devil and God in its entirely. I hate when bands do that, and this show demonstrated why pulling so many great songs from their entire catalog.

The only downer was when Jesse mentioned he hoped they could make another return within the next 14 months. Another reminder of the coming end...

that bass drop.

Wow. You were not kidding. Amazing show. And that cage thing was cool. The last time I saw them they played The Devil and God in its entirely. I hate when bands do that, and this show demonstrated why pulling so many great songs from their entire catalog.

The only downer was when Jesse mentioned he hoped they could make another return within the next 14 months. Another reminder of the coming end...

Im seeing them tomorrow night in Boston. So god damn stoked. I wish the setlist was a couple songs longer (lacking Tommy Gun, and Sink!!!) but the songs picked are perfect. Going to try and grab one of those exclusive posters too

I knew nothing of this band. Saw the hype for the album, saw the positive reviews and even had Spotify keep on recommending their new album to me. Still didn't listen.

Actually listened to it the other day and wow - what an album.

Waste is such a fantastic song.

Is their other stuff similar or is this very much a departure from earlier releases?

I knew nothing of this band. Saw the hype for the album, saw the positive reviews and even had Spotify keep on recommending their new album to me. Still didn't listen.

Is their other stuff similar or is this very much a departure from earlier releases?

Parts of Daisy, their 4th album sounds similar. But overall, no really. The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me is a 10/10 album. My favorite album of all time <3

Ranking them now:
TDAG > Science Fiction > Daisy > Deja Entendu > YFW

Media

I'd rank Deja and TDAG above this one, but only barely.

This bump reminded me how freaking good this album is. Haven't listened to it in a while. Now I'll be listening to Brand New all day.

Top Bottom