• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Book : A laptop being made - $1499, Oct 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachie

p89svXO.jpg

EtTaMNi.jpg

surfacebook.gif
(thanks phaonaut)

Surface Book
13.5" Display (6 million pixels / 267 ppi)
Intel Skylake Processor (upto i7)
Nvidia Geforce GPU
(upto) 16GB RAM
(upto) 1TB SSD
1.6 pounds
7.4mm thick
Detachable "fulcrum" keyboard
12 hour battery life
Starts at $1499
Pre-order starts today, ships on Oct 26th

Preorder:http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...25716000?icid=en_US_SurfaceBk_cat_modG_100615

I wasn't impressed at first, since it looked like just a standard professional laptop like the Macbook Pro. But once they showed off the detachable Surface and the ability to reverse the hinge, it seems perfect for what I'd want to use it for (video editing and illustration on the go). Will be really interested to see impressions of the hardware.

soco

nice. looks oddly like a macbook pro.

So is the keyboard basically just a nearly weightless shell with a few cables for usb and sdcard and such?

kami_sama

I take it the surfacebook tablet doesn't have a kickstand

Yes, it doesn't have one per se, but you attach the tablet either way, so the keyboard can act as a kickstand.

So is the keyboard basically just a nearly weightless shell with a few cables for usb and sdcard and such?

Nope, it has a Nvidia iGPU, and a lot of batteries.

Vestal

Gold Member

No, the keyboard contains additional battery and the Nvidia GPU

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yes, it doesn't have one per se, but you attach the tablet either way, so the keyboard can act as a kickstand.

Would be nice if it was a complete surface pro when detached

I assume the surface pro hinge is expensive to build

The Surface Pro line is the best tablet line ever created, but I think I'll wait for the second iteration of this Surface Book. 12 hour battery though, fantastic.

I believe the GeForce GPU is in there, so it will need to be attached for any GPU intensive applications.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's a weee bit small but damn that's a hell of a laptop. What are the specifics on the GPU? I'm guessing it's an 860m or something.

Looks fucking beautiful too.

I wasn't impressed at first, since it looked like just a standard professional laptop like the Macbook Pro. But once they showed off the detachable Surface and the ability to reverse the hinge, it seems perfect for what I'd want to use it for (video editing and illustration on the go). Will be really interested to see impressions of the hardware.

Yup, bingo. I use my Surface as a tablet too often to give that up, but this? I'm interested.

giga

1.6 lbs with or without the keyboard? I assume the latter. Same question for the 7.4mm thickness.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Forgive me for this but,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between this and a Pro 4?

Dedicated GPU, full laptop keyboard. Slightly larger screen. More battery life I presume?

Same as each generation of the Pro. It will run shit. You'll be impressed it can run shit. But in the end it's not a gaming laptop.

It's got a dedicated GPU so it will run alot more things than the pro

fuzzyset

The screen is a fully functioning sp4 tablet isn't it? It's odd they don't put that in the brief?

It's slightly different. He mentioned how they were able to make it thinner cause the USB ports are on the keyboard base. The internals may be the same, but the design isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom