• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

Roo

C11w2UBWEAAPXKf.jpg

I can't believe I just scrolled through 17 pages of people going on and on about the ethernet adapter and not one person mentioned this thing at all. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Hori is selling a charging station for 4 joycons? They seem to think that a lot of people will have multiple Switches at their house if you would need to charge 4 joycons. Either that bodes well for a cheap price as in multiple kids in a family having their own Switch or Nintendo is going to sell them separately like a spare nunchuk. I can't imagine a scenario where you would buy extra of these tiny controllers instead of a pro controller so I think that might be a good indicator of a $199 version of the system.
What?
Of course it means they will sell Joy-Cons separately.
The patents from some time ago even showed a version with an actual D-Pad instead of buttons.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
C11w2UBWEAAPXKf.jpg

I can't believe I just scrolled through 17 pages of people going on and on about the ethernet adapter and not one person mentioned this thing at all. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Hori is selling a charging station for 4 joycons? They seem to think that a lot of people will have multiple Switches at their house if you would need to charge 4 joycons. Either that bodes well for a cheap price as in multiple kids in a family having their own Switch or Nintendo is going to sell them separately like a spare nunchuk. I can't imagine a scenario where you would buy extra of these tiny controllers instead of a pro controller so I think that might be a good indicator of a $199 version of the system.

Could also be speaking to the idea that they might sell multiple versions of the JoyCons. Patents already showed a Left JoyCon with a proper D-Pad. Fan mockups have shown game specific controls or things like a GC inspired Right JoyCon. So Nintendo may in fact have plans for that kind of stuff or Hori themselves do. So a charging station would be a good way to ensure your original or specialty JoyCons remain charged when not attached to the base device.

Also we don't know the max connections a Switch can manage. So just buying an extra set of JoyCons might be an easy way of having 4 controllers for multiplayer.

MADGAME

Having to fork out £30 for an Eternet connector again is a joke. No reason for it not being included in the dock. I wonder if Wii/Wii U Ethernet adapters will be compatible?

Can't believe we are finally seeing stuff though. Hype levels reaching critic mass!

That seems awfully expensive; not sure if you are specifically referring to the Nintendo branded ones but others will also work.

ZeroX03

Banned
C11w2UBWEAAPXKf.jpg

Separate joycons with different button configurations seems incredibly likely:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325344

kdoll08

What?
Of course it means they will sell Joy-Cons separately.
The patents from some time ago even showed a version with an actual D-Pad instead of buttons.

Could also be speaking to the idea that they might sell multiple versions of the JoyCons. Patents already showed a Left JoyCon with a proper D-Pad. Fan mockups have shown game specific controls or things like a GC inspired Right JoyCon. So Nintendo may in fact have plans for that kind of stuff or Hori themselves do. So a charging station would be a good way to ensure your original or specialty JoyCons remain charged when not attached to the base device.

Also we don't know the max connections a Switch can manage. So just buying an extra set of JoyCons might be an easy way of having 4 controllers for multiplayer.

Ah I had forgotten all about the possibility of different types of joycons. Good call guys, but at least this seems to confirm it.

Skeletos311

C11w2UBWEAAPXKf.jpg

Maybe the Joycon has some function that the Pro Controller does not have, like motion controls.

Is Arc System Works a Switch developer? The BlazBlue and Guilty Gear series would also be welcome.

Yeah, they are. I don't think any of their titles have been rumoured yet, though.

I will just say, I'm almost sure we'll get a Persona 5 Arena soon, as P Studio said they're going to be revealing a new Persona game soon, and P4A and P4U were the bigger Persona spin-offs.

So I could see that as the big ASW game for 2017, with any of their other games coming later.

Only 49 hours left before we find out...

Maybe the Joycon has some function that the Pro Controller does not have, like motion controls.

The Pro controller does have motion controls. Which is great, because Splatoon without them would just be weird.

Well it's obviously because you'd buy an extra pair of Joy-Cons. They should be available for purchase separately, and hopefully for relatively cheap (with soooo many features packed in, from IR functionality to an NFC reader, it'll be kinda expensive).

With 4 of them, you can either use each individually (so, 4-player Mario Kart) or use them like you would like a Wiimote+Nunchuk or with the Joy-Con Grip (so 1v1 in Smash).

49hrs? There's only 11hrs until it's the 12th here ��
http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1484280000z1.png

Here's the countdown to the actual start of the event. It's on the 13th in Japan, so you gotta wait, fam. The event is 11 PM on the 12th for me, currently 10:20 PM on the 10th.

Nooooooo. It's absolutely going to be KOF or Tekken, no Marvel or Arcsys. Please.

They are actually. Like, they're even on the top of the slide, lol. So they might be bringing something to the Switch for 2017. Personally, my money's on a Persona 5 Arena that's coming to PS4, XOne, Switch.

Also, not sure about this, but it was said in this thread that KOF is Sony-exclusive in the same way SFV is.

Tekken is definitely coming at this point.

And Marvel is being developed on UE4, which the Switch supports. Capcom probably wouldn't be so quick to snub Nintendo, so it's definitely possible.

tiijj

Having to fork out £30 for an Eternet connector again is a joke. No reason for it not being included in the dock. I wonder if Wii/Wii U Ethernet adapters will be compatible?

Can't believe we are finally seeing stuff though. Hype levels reaching critic mass!

They should be compatible

Unless it uses usb type c. The pic doesn't show the connector and the switch (the main one not the dock) might have type c only.

RM8

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1484280000z1.png

Here's the countdown to the actual start of the event. It's on the 13th in Japan, so you gotta wait, fam. The event is 11 PM on the 12th for me, currently 10:20 PM on the 10th.

They are actually. Like, they're even on the top of the slide, lol. So they might be bringing something to the Switch for 2017. Personally, my money's on a Persona 5 Arena that's coming to PS4, XOne, Switch.

Also, not sure about this, but it was said in this thread that KOF is Sony-exclusive in the same way SFV is.

Tekken is definitely coming at this point.

And Marvel is being developed on UE4, which the Switch supports. Capcom probably wouldn't be so quick to snub Nintendo, so it's definitely possible.
I'll be happy if we get Tekken, at least. Portable Tekken is actually something that has been a thing since the GBA, it'd be sad if the 3DS game was the last one.

We're not even sure if the dock has an ethernet port or not.

You've lost the plot 😧

You think they're going to have an ethernet port on the dock and not use USB->Ethernet adapters like they've used in their last 2 home consoles, BUT you think they've got an USB type-c->Ethernet to plug into the console while it's in PORTABLE mode?

Damn son, how long you running your cat-5 cable when you're down at the park? 🤣

tiijj

I'm not saying that the dock will have one or not, all I'm saying is that right now it's just a speculation. The picture of the dongle doesn't even have the connector for some reason.

You've lost the plot ��

You think they're going to have an ethernet port on the dock and not use a USB->Ethernet adapters like they've used in their last 2 home consoles, BUT you think they've got an USB type-c->Ethernet to plug into the console while it's in PORTABLE mode?

Damn son, how long you running your cat-5 cable when you're down at the park? ��

It's in portable mode yes but the selling point on the teaser video is the portability to bring it to the airport, basketball court, the roof, etc... So there's no reason not to bring it to a friends house and connect it to a lan there or maybe to a hotel perhaps.

Why would the dock have an ethernet port if they are selling a LAN attachment? Clearly it means it doesn't have one, just like the Wii U and the Wii before it.

Technically Hori's selling it, not nintendo. Third party even licensed ones do sell you stuff that you might or might not need.

Vinnk

Not where I live. I can't just go on Amazon and order one (without having to pay international fees and shipping).

Where do you live?

If there is no Amazon in your country, I am sure there is some service or store that sells these. They are far from rare. I use the one I bought for my laptop (yeah, my laptop does not have built in ethernet). Cost me $5.

Speely

Banned
Is portable SFV possible? I'm not sure what the exclusive status is.

Probably not, but there could be an exception IF Capcom were to target it as a "handheld" version, though that might involve them only targeting the portable performance of the Switch, since it apparently allows devs to do that. Edit: Meaning that it would not run any differently when docked (and prolly look like hot garbage on a TV.)

Where do you live?

If there is no Amazon in your country, I am sure there is some service or store that sells these. They are far from rare. I use the one I bought for my laptop (yeah, my laptop does not have built in ethernet). Cost me $5.

Can't think of anywhere where I live that would sell one, so I don't doubt him.

But I also have no problem buying from Amazon and using a freight forwarder to ship internationally, so...

(I mean, how else am I getting a Switch?)

Probably not, but there could be an exception IF Capcom were to target it as a "handheld" version, though that might involve them only targeting the portable performance of the Switch, since it apparently allows devs to do that. Edit: Meaning that it would not run any differently when docked (and prolly look like hot garbage on a TV.)

Sony would never have agreed to such a possibility.

HotHamBoy

Is portable SFV possible? I'm not sure what the exclusive status is.

Not possible, Sony's got it locked down.

But the Switch isn't a handheld!

It isn't going to happen, y'all.

You should be begging for KOF 14 or GGXrd Revelator, anyway.

HotHamBoy

nintendo-switch-illustration-controller-1.0.jpg

The only accessories I care about being confirmed. If Nintendo actually does something like the above I'll be all over this thing. It's such an obvious and brilliant idea so they probably won't :(

(Btw, that "Bop It!" style joycon for Warioware is fucking ingenius.)

BOP-IT.png

BTA

Fightstick is interesting. Also, charging 4 at once means we can probably buy more right away, hmm...

Vinnk

Can't think of anywhere where I live that would sell one, so I don't doubt him.

But I also have no problem buying from Amazon and using a freight forwarder to ship internationally, so...

(I mean, how else am I getting a Switch?)

Sony would never have agreed to such a possibility.

It's a pretty common computer part though. Any electronics stores of a reasonable size have them. There is no need to get a Nintendo branded one. Like any town large enough to sell the Switch should also be large enough to sell this very common computer part.

I just don't see this as a real issue that will effect very many people. If someone wants to prove me wrong I'm totally willing to be wrong.

But if you live in: United States, United Kingdom and Ireland, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Japan, China, India or Mexico. You can get it right from Amazon. In other countries I would be shocked if there was no online source for these. Many new laptops do not have ethernet built in (all new Mac laptops) so these adaptors are needed. You would have to live in a country that not only does not have Amazon, but also does not have parts for Apple computers. And those countries are not going to make up a huge percentage of the market.

But I have only lived in Japan and the US so maybe it really is totally different in the rest of the world.

It's a pretty common computer part though. Any electronics stores of a reasonable size have them. There is no need to get a Nintendo branded one. Like any town large enough to sell the Switch should also be large enough to sell this very common computer part.

I just don't see this as a real issue that will effect very many people. If someone wants to prove me wrong I'm totally willing to be wrong.

But if you live in: United States, United Kingdom and Ireland, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Japan, China, India or Mexico. You can get it right from Amazon. In other countries I would be shocked if there was no online source for these. Many new laptops do not have ethernet built in (all new Mac laptops) so these adaptors are needed. You would have to live in a country that not only does not have Amazon, but also does not have parts for Apple computers. And those countries are not going to make up a huge percentage of the market.

But I have only lived in Japan and the US so maybe it really is totally different in the rest of the world.
I agree that it's not a big issue.

I live in a country with about 100,000 people. There is no Amazon, no Apple. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft...none of them have any presence here. Thinking about it, I can maybe think of 3 places that MAY sell LAN adapters but even then it's by no means a guarantee.

But like I said, I can still order via Amazon to a freight forwarder in the US and get it shipped here. We have to do this for a lot of stuff as it's either too expensive to buy locally or it's simply just not sold here (and even then, importing most things is extremely expensive too! Thank God for digital games!)

So I'm not sure about the other guy's situation, but it's not completely alien to me. My biggest concern right now is making sure I can secure an Amazon pre-order for the Switch or else I'm out of luck!

EDIT: I should probably point out that Amazon is a godsend as the vast majority of online retailers don't accept international cards. Thankfully Amazon does.

Nintendrones don't care about Tekken. Stop shovelling that shit down our throats Namco.

It won't have the success of Street Fighter 3DS and I'm pretty sure we'd rather have a new Soul Calibur game/port.

Am I right friends?

HyperHip

Nintendrones don't care about Tekken. Stop shovelling that shit down our throats Namco.

It won't have the success of Street Fighter 3DS and I'm pretty sure we'd rather have a new Soul Calibur game/port.

Am I right friends?

I vibe way more with Soul series then I do Tekken, but I'll take whatever fighters they throw at me gladly.

Am I right friends?

I don't really care for Tekken which is why it being a timed exclusive would be the most entertaining result.

Top Bottom