• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Effect

Yikes. Almost dropped my guard with this game and had it preordered on Amazon. Then I remembered wanting to wait to see if a collection was put out. There being an ending at least initially snapped me back to reality. Don't want to have to buy more DLC then I need to. It also helped me remember there is still DLC I haven't finished for Fallout 3. So they should take care of my Fallout fix until next year I hope, at least when ever a GOTY collection comes out.

Effect said:
Yikes. Almost dropped my guard with this game and had it preordered on Amazon. Then I remembered wanting to wait to see if a collection was put out. There being an ending at least initially snapped me back to reality. Don't want to have to buy more DLC then I need to. It also helped me remember there is still DLC I haven't finished for Fallout 3. So they should take care of my Fallout fix until next year I hope, at least when ever a GOTY collection comes out.
That would probably be the end of next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, looks like I'm not buying this on release date. Thanks, embargo. I guess I'll get it for Christmas instead, reviews pending, and preferably used.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stumpokapow said:
Well, looks like I'm not buying this on release date. Thanks, embargo. I guess I'll get it for Christmas instead, reviews pending, and preferably used.
I'm confused, why do does an embargo suddenly mean that you have to wait 2 months and get a used copy? Couldn't you wait till the reviews come out and if they are good, purchase around when the game actually releases?

kai3345

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I can understand waiting a week for reviews, but until Christmas?

Stallion Free said:
I'm confused, why do does an embargo suddenly mean that you have to wait 2 months and get a used copy? Couldn't you wait till the reviews come out and if they are good, purchase around when the game actually releases?

It's always felt like a bit of a slap in the face to me, and can be a warning sign that reviews are expected to be mediocre. Whenever a film gets released without having a press junket and any published reviews, it usually stinks.

I'm still probably going to get this game on the 19th though - that is as long as its not another pos like Fallout Tactics.

Cheech

Stallion Free said:

Yeah. I have it preordered through Amazon for the $10 credit, and if the reviews are terrible, I will just send it back. Not a big deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been the wait for the community consensus kind of guy rather than a 'wait for the reviews guy'. That always means at least a month of waiting, unless I have some extra expendable income or it's a game I'm looking forward to from a trusted dev.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stallion Free said:

kai3345 said:
I can understand waiting a week for reviews, but until Christmas?

Generally if I'm going to miss the day/week one wave of people playing the game (and thus miss the early forum conversation about the game), I'll hold out the month or two it takes to get a game for $20+ off original MSRP. If I'm not going to be talking with all my buds about the game while I'm playing it, there's no pressing need to play it at all.

Their loss. It's not like I won't be playing games in the mean time, I'll just be playing games from other companies. I'm pretty apprehensive about this game in general (I like Fallout, I like Bethesda, I like Obsidian including Alpha Protocol) and I'm just not convinced enough to take a chance. A review embargo is not going to help me put aside my apprehension :p

jorma

is now taking requests
Stallion Free said:

Actually, what Stumpokapow wrote is pretty much how i buy games as well - if it's not bought day one it'll be bought much later at a reduced price.

I still have my preorder in on this game though. I figure the worst case scenario here is "this is just Fallout 3 with a new campaign" and i can very much live with that...

A bit off topic, but just in time for New Vegas my video card appears to have died on me. For those somewhat more learned in the PC hardware sides of things could you point me in the direction of a relatively decent card that should hold up alright for the next couple of years. It would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to grab a replacement over the weekend.

Hmm review embargo highly sucks, worries me about the games quality.

Im going to go with my gut and keep my collectors edition preorder, hope its the right decision.

SenorDingDong said:
A bit off topic, but just in time for New Vegas my video card appears to have died on me. For those somewhat more learned in the PC hardware sides of things could you point me in the direction of a relatively decent card that should hold up alright for the next couple of years. It would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to grab a replacement over the weekend.

This is the thread for you. THE BEST thread on GAF. You're going to want to give your current system hardware before anyone could really recommend a card though.

Stumpokapow said:
Generally if I'm going to miss the day/week one wave of people playing the game (and thus miss the early forum conversation about the game), I'll hold out the month or two it takes to get a game for $20+ off original MSRP. If I'm not going to be talking with all my buds about the game while I'm playing it, there's no pressing need to play it at all.

Their loss. It's not like I won't be playing games in the mean time, I'll just be playing games from other companies. I'm pretty apprehensive about this game in general (I like Fallout, I like Bethesda, I like Obsidian including Alpha Protocol) and I'm just not convinced enough to take a chance. A review embargo is not going to help me put aside my apprehension :p

Or is it your loss? Time will tell...time will tell.

epmode

kyo_daikun said:
Hmm review embargo highly sucks, worries me about the games quality.

Im going to go with my gut and keep my collectors edition preorder, hope its the right decision.
Now I'm glad I went with Amazon. I'm not opening it until I see some reviews or impressions.

X26

Banned
don't have it preordered, just plan on picking it up wherever on the 19th unless the reviews (which will atleast hopefully all be up at midnight on the 19th) look bad

Sotha Sil

Stumpokapow said:

I envy you. I'm a sucker for choice-oriented western RPGs; as soon as there's one on the market, I've just got to own it, reviews be damned. Sometimes I manage to wait, but come on, Fallout done by Avellone... :)

I've got high hopes for the Hardcore Mode! I remember Bethesda saying that Fallout 1 was much more of an inspiration that F2 when making Fallout 3, because it was more serious, less "breach-of-the-third-wall"y, but I was quite disappointed with the result. I liked the game, but I never felt threatened, and never felt any empathy for the characters (which means I didn't really care for the moral choices, either). Fallout was always about the choices; the world was a social pattern rather than a mere landscape to explore, and thought Bethesda (and their legendary bad writers) really missed the whole reputation/branching dialogues angle of the game.

I know Obsidian's take on the franchise won't be radically different, but still... I've got my fingers crossed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not so worried about a review embargo as:

butsomuch said:
IIRC, the Fallout 3 review embargo lifted on the release date except IGN exclusive review.

...is probably true. This kind of crap happens sometimes.

Also, I mean, unless they've done something crazy, it will at worst be more Fallout 3. If you enjoyed the previous game, I can't even think of a way for them to screw it up for you (aside from glitches or general buggy-ness, of course).

ElyrionX

I really don't know where people get the idea that Obsidian is an A-list developer. All they've ever done was create mediocre sequels or spinoffs of first rate games. Torment aside, the only other original thing they've done is Alpha Protocol and look how that bombed.

Fallout 3 was fantastic but it was a gigantic bugfest and i only played it half a year after release when patches were already released. I can't imagine how buggy this would be on day one.

The developer's pedigree and the review embargo is really not giving me much confidence in this game.

People are surprised at the review embargo? Most big games are embargoed until release now. Although most are usually the day before release instead of the day of. Which I guess is a significant difference, carry on...

Sotha Sil

ElyrionX said:
All they've ever done was create mediocre sequels or spinoffs

Can you point me to the "mediocre sequels or spinoffs"? Because I can't think of one. Loved KOTOR2, and I thought that NW2 was much better than the first. Not to mention Mask of the Betrayer... "Mediocre"? Really?

(As far as Alpha Protocol is concerned, you have a point :p )

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sotha Sil said:
Can you point me to the "mediocre sequels or spinoffs"? Because I can't think of one. Loved KOTOR2, and I thought that NW2 was much better than the first. Not to mention Mask of the Betrayer... "Mediocre"? Really?

(As far as Alpha Protocol is concerned, you have a point :p )
Though that still isnt a sequel or a spinoff.

Shinjitsu

Banned
The fuck is with all the Obsidian trolling shitting up every New Vegas thread? I think half these people shit talking them haven't bothered actually playing Obsidians games.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ElyrionX said:
Torment aside, the only other original thing they've done is Alpha Protocol and look how that bombed.
If you put in the homework in trashing Obsidian you could have said that 1) Torment wasnt by Obsidian, 2) Planescape wasnt an original creation and that it was an established AD&D setting, and 3) that Guido Henkel isnt part of Obsidian. Going the "bugs" route is boring now.

I never realized their was so much negativity towards this game just because Obsidian is doing it. To me it's Fallout and would expect it to be well done. I never thought that a review embargo meant it's a bad game.

Mrbob

You guys ever hear of Neverwinter Nights 2? Not everything Obsidian touches is bad. KOTOR 2 was rushed out, so was Alpha Protocol. I don't think there was good direction on Alpha Protocol though.

Anyway, as long as Obsidian takes the Fallout 3 template without messing anything up and adding some of their own touch how can this game go bad? It is near impossible unless you absolutely hate how Fallout 3 turned out. As long as Bethesda kept on close eye on Obsidian and gave them proper direction where needed everything should be ok.

Gearbox finally stepped out of the shadows last year with Borderlands. Here is hoping New Vegas is the same moment for Obsidian.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mrbob said:
You guys ever hear of Neverwinter Nights 2?
Yes. Good game. And unlike the first game this one was more stable and had less bugs. Who loved punching dragons in NWN1 because the AI for the monsters was totally broken and not fixed until two weeks after release? Good times.

Mrbob said:
You guys ever hear of Neverwinter Nights 2? Not everything Obsidian touches is bad. KOTOR 2 was rushed out, so was Alpha Protocol. I don't think there was good direction on Alpha Protocol though.

Anyway, as long as Obsidian takes the Fallout 3 template without messing anything up and adding some of their own touch how can this game go bad? It is near impossible unless you absolutely hate how Fallout 3 turned out. As long as Bethesda kept on close eye on Obsidian and gave them proper direction where needed everything should be ok.

Gearbox finally stepped out of the shadows last year with Borderlands. Here is hoping New Vegas is the same moment for Obsidian.

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I highly doubt it will have more issues than Fallout 3. In fact, I think it will be a better game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ElyrionX said:
I really don't know where people get the idea that Obsidian is an A-list developer. All they've ever done was create mediocre sequels or spinoffs of first rate games. Torment aside, the only other original thing they've done is Alpha Protocol and look how that bombed.

That's being more than a little harsh. Mediocre sequels/spinoffs? The original KOTOR is resting at a 93 on Metacritic. Obsidian's sequel got an 85. The original Neverwinter Nights got a 91; the sequel, 82. There is a assuredly a measurable drop in ratings, no doubt, but it isn't significant. As Black Isle Studios, they're responsible for some of the most loved franchises in PC gaming: Fallout 1/2, Planescape, and Icewind Dale.

Then you conflate quality with sales in regards to Alpha Protocol. While the Metacritic on that is, admittedly mediocre, it is arguable that Alpha Protocol is a love it or hate it kind of game. The game has a lot of fans who will admit its faults but still praise its better parts, as evidenced by some in this thread and many others in previous New Vegas threads. Did it bomb? Absolutely. Does that speak to the general quality of the game? No.

Look, if you played those games and didn't like them, fine. But it is obvious that there are plenty of people who love their stuff, so sorry if someone with that opinion thinks of highly of them.

morningbus said:
That's being more than a little harsh. Mediocre sequels/spinoffs? The original KOTOR is resting at a 93 on Metacritic. Obsidian's sequel got an 85. The original Neverwinter Nights got a 91; the sequel, 82. There is a assuredly a measurable drop in ratings, no doubt, but it isn't significant. As Black Isle Studios, they're responsible for some of the most loved franchises in PC gaming: Fallout 1/2, Planescape, and Icewind Dale.

I never played NWN2, but it had to be better than the first one. NWN1 was terrible.
Also for my money, KOTOR 2 was better than the first one. Although I can certainly see why it was rated lower.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
morningbus said:

Then you conflate quality with sales in regards to Alpha Protocol. While the Metacritic on that is, admittedly mediocre, it is arguable that Alpha Protocol is a love it or hate it kind of game. The game has a lot of fans who will admit its faults but still praise its better parts, as evidenced by some in this thread and many others in previous New Vegas threads. Did it bomb? Absolutely. Does that speak to the general quality of the game? No.

Actually they arent responsible for 1. I dont think any of the major people from the Fallout 1 are at Obsidian. The BIS that worked on F1 was different from the one that worked on F2/PS:T/IWD1&2.

ezekial45

Banned
Mrbob said:

Didn't they get an extra YEAR to work on AP?

Macstorm

Alpha Protocol was fun despite its flaws. As someone who got into WRPGs via Fallout 3, my hopes for New Vegas are up there. The two hours I put in last night also helped, but shame I can't say more.
stupid embargos on impressions too

duckroll

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
It was delayed about 6 months, but I don't think much work was done on it in that time.

No work was done at all. Obsidian handed the finished game over to Sega as agreed around September 2009. The game could have totally made the original release date if Sega wanted to. Instead they delayed it for 6 months to work on more marketing stuff. It was beyond Obsidian's control.

bestami

Alpha Protocol is pretty awesome. I agree there are a lot of stupid shit in it and the game needed some extra time to polish some things but the gameplay mechanics are solid and there are a lot of interesting stuff in there. I've played almost every game they made and i've enjoyed every single one of them. They are not the greatest games i've ever played but at least they are constantly try to do interesting stuff with their games.

morningbus said:
Also, I mean, unless they've done something crazy, it will at worst be more Fallout 3. If you enjoyed the previous game, I can't even think of a way for them to screw it up for you (aside from glitches or general buggy-ness, of course).

I'm worried that "something crazy" might have been done. especially with more limited dialogue trees, and didn't I read something about only one possible reply in conversations? sounds like what was done to the "Gothic 4" abomination. in other words a "more casual experience"

yawn... hopefully that's wrong :/

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
MrBelmontvedere said:
I'm worried that "something crazy" might have been done. especially with more limited dialogue trees, and didn't I read something about only one possible reply in conversations? sounds like what was done to the "Gothic 4" abomination. in other words a "more casual experience"

yawn... hopefully that's wrong :/
That really doesnt sound like something that Obsidian will do.

Sotha Sil

bestami said:
Alpha Protocol is pretty awesome. I agree there are a lot of stupid shit in it and the game needed some extra time to polish some things but the gameplay mechanics are solid and there are a lot of interesting stuff in there. I've played almost every game they made and i've enjoyed every single one of them. They are not the greatest games i've ever played but at least they are constantly try to do interesting stuff with their games.

AP was good, but it's a shame they ditched the original, ultra-realistic premise. It was too campy for my taste. (And the gameplay was horrible, but I don't care that much about that part).

And I agree; Obsidian games are always enjoyable. Boy can they write good characters!

Top Bottom