• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Why would they announce an xpac so soon? We still have Argus and the last raid left.iirc they only announced legion because, WoD had seriously hurt their base and they were bleeding subs. They did it as an emergency measure.. But, considering Legion reversed the WoD dmg we've got ways to go.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why would they announce an xpac so soon? We still have Argus and the last raid left.iirc they only announced legion because, WoD had seriously hurt their base and they were bleeding subs. They did it as an emergency measure.. But, considering Legion reversed the WoD dmg we've got ways to go.

yeah Legion is a different story than WoD, the timing of Gamescom lines up with where WoD was at when they announced Legion.

I certainly wouldn't mind a tease of an announcement, but I feel given the story that has yet to be revealed with Argus and Antorous that they'll hold off until BlizzCon.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I feel like gamescom is gonna show the 7.3 trailer/intro cinematic. They spawned the pre-patch quest and 7.3 feels pretty close, they gave the PVP season ending warning last week.

Not one bit. Blizzard enabled "bad luck protection" for appearance drops off of raid and dungeon bosses. I got that appearance on my rogue pretty fast.

Shouldn't be too bad, honestly.

I got my first Darguul kill in Nel's last night and I got that half. I don't think I've done Vault yet on my rogue, so we'll see when/if I do that.

So I just need to get the two pieces and I'm good? Normal, heroic, or mythic?

Bregor

yeah Legion is a different story than WoD, the timing of Gamescom lines up with where WoD was at when they announced Legion.

I certainly wouldn't mind a tease of an announcement, but I feel given the story that has yet to be revealed with Argus and Antorous that they'll hold off until BlizzCon.

Personally, I think they will have the 7.3 cinematic at Gamescom and leave the expansion for Blizzcon.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Personally, I think they will have the 7.3 cinematic at Gamescom and leave the expansion for Blizzcon.

You're probably right. 3 more months of off the wall speculation and increasingly dubious "leaks" is gonna be rough.

Lyng

So I switched mains. As much as I love the sub rogue rotation I just couldn't really get used to the stress of being melee dps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only way to "farm" them is to run every LFR & raid content, do every daily emissary, and run as many M+ as you can.

Well no point in that now. I just got a 6th and it was Prydaz, which immediately got thrown in the bank since KBW and Death March are better than the itemization bump Prydaz offers.

In large part I would say it's a lot more frustrating that I don't have a single piece of tier that isn't either a) in a head slot (Death March is a head item), or b) raid finder welfare. Granted, that's partially my fault since the team insists on running normals on Sundays during Game of Thrones season so I'm cutting my ability to even get them down quite a bit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I will not miss legendary RNG in the next expansion.

Agreed. I really hope Blizzard sees the error in their ways of this horrible system. I was much happier with the MoP and WoD style legendary system that was used as an over-arching story for the expansion.

cdyhybrid

Agreed. I really hope Blizzard sees the error in their ways of this horrible system. I was much happier with the MoP and WoD style legendary system that was used as an over-arching story for the expansion.
If they removed throughput from legendaries and/or made it much easier to gamble for them a la Diablo 3 it would be fine. But they have to do at least one.

Agreed x2. I can appreciate that Blizz tried out a bunch of new concepts in Legion, but unfortunately there were more misses than hits. I will be glad to see many of them gone for next expansion.

Tarazet

As a Warrior, I had no idea how lucky I was at the time when my first legendary I got was Ayala's.

My Warlock got Feretory of Souls followed by Sin'dorei Spite. Pretty beefy stuff! Then after that playing Demo he got Recurrent Ritual and Master Harvester, so his luck has been pretty stupidly consistent. And stupid.

Rambaldi

The post above reminded me that one of my raiders is missing the Sunday raid because of Game of Thrones and somehow this is my fault. Especially since we have been raiding since August in this schedule.

Poor guy. He’s a dick so I don’t really care that much. Maybe he will find another guild.

Fjordson

To add onto the legendary farming talk, I'd recommend doing at least one turn in a day (or however often you usually play) for the 100 Legionfall War Supplies on Broken Shore. I've gotten four legendaries from those caches.

I did the frost DK artifact quest on my 98 with starting WoD zone gear, and died a lot. I had to switch to blood spec for the last part, which of course made it easy (even with a junk backup weapon), because blood spec is blood spec.

Kinda odd that the artifact power is a passive.

erawsd

If they removed throughput from legendaries and/or made it much easier to gamble for them a la Diablo 3 it would be fine. But they have to do at least one.

If they remove throughput then they may as well just remove them entirely because hardly anyone will care anymore. The point of legendaries was to expand the excitement of trinkets to other slots. If they bring them back they just need to give people a way to earn them without relying entirely on RNG.

Adaren

If I remember correctly, the stated inspiration for Legendaries in Legion was the random epics that used to drop in Vanilla WoW. Things like Freezing Band.

They wanted to capture the excitement of finding a unique item with a unique effect, as well as the "I can build my character around this"-RPG feeling that they gave.

If that's what they were going for, then they obviously missed the mark with Legion's Legendaries. People view them as mandatory power increases, and the pure RNG system makes the entire thing frustrating and leaves players feeling like victims of the system.

I would have preferred if they went with a system like this:
- The bonuses are largely situational / non-throughput, but still potentially combat useful. The majority are still class-specific.
- The item level is slightly higher than a Heroic Raid. That means that players are still excited when they loot them, but their power level isn't so crazy high that they feel mandatory just for the stats. High-end players aren't obligated to grind for them. Equipping them to leverage their unique effects for specific encounters becomes a choice instead of something that's mandated.
- Legandaries are now Epics with a special tag of some sort (so that Legendary items still feel special in the future. Making something Legendary used to really mean something.).

From the very moment they announced them, I thought that the Legendary system seemed risky. Artifacts always looked awesome, but Legendaries looked like they would either be (at best) unobtrusive and (at worst) a frustrating imbalanced RNG slog. The result is somewhere in the middle. The expansion would have been fine without it, so I'm still somewhat baffled as to why they felt the need to make them such a significant part of character progression.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Got my DK to 100 and the entire time I thought the Frost artifact ability was Sindragosa and its just a gold trait. My mind has been shattered.
I did the frost DK artifact quest on my 98 with starting WoD zone gear, and died a lot. I had to switch to blood spec for the last part, which of course made it easy (even with a junk backup weapon), because blood spec is blood spec.

Kinda odd that the artifact power is a passive.
The artifact power IS Breath of Sindragosa. You just have to put points into the weapon to get it for whatever reason.

My Warlock got Feretory of Souls followed by Sin'dorei Spite. Pretty beefy stuff! Then after that playing Demo he got Recurrent Ritual and Master Harvester, so his luck has been pretty stupidly consistent. And stupid.
My rogue got Sephuz followed by Prydaz and then I stopped playing her entirely.

erawsd

If I remember correctly, the stated inspiration for Legendaries in Legion was the random epics that used to drop in Vanilla WoW. Things like Freezing Band.

They wanted to capture the excitement of finding a unique item with a unique effect, as well as the "I can build my character around this"-RPG feeling that they gave.

If that's what they were going for, then they obviously missed the mark with Legion's Legendaries. People view them as mandatory power increases, and the pure RNG system makes the entire thing frustrating and leaves players feeling like victims of the system.

I would have preferred if they went with a system like this:
- The bonuses are largely situational / non-throughput, but still potentially combat useful. The majority are still class-specific.
- The item level is slightly higher than a Heroic Raid. That means that players are still excited when they loot them, but their power level isn't so crazy high that they feel mandatory just for the stats. High-end players aren't obligated to grind for them. Equipping them to leverage their unique effects for specific encounters becomes a choice instead of something that's mandated.
- Legandaries are now Epics with a special tag of some sort (so that Legendary items still feel special in the future. Making something Legendary used to really mean something.).

From the very moment they announced them, I thought that the Legendary system seemed risky. Artifacts always looked awesome, but Legendaries looked like they would either be (at best) unobtrusive and (at worst) a frustrating imbalanced RNG slog. The result is somewhere in the middle. The expansion would have been fine without it, so I'm still somewhat baffled as to why they felt the need to make them such a significant part of character progression.

It was both. They wanted to invoke the feeling of finding epics in vanilla but they also talked about how people typically see trinkets and set bonuses as the most exciting part of the gearing process and they wanted to capture some of that with the legendary effects. And I think you have to have throughput bonuses or its just not going to be exciting because that is what motivates gearing in this game. Otherwise, people would just ignore the effects and equip the ones that have their best stats. If they are only going to be class utility/situational bonuses then they should just bring back major glyphs instead since that was a far better vehicle for that.

I think they could have left everything else the same and just gave us a fair, non-rng based method to earn them and I bet there'd be few complaints. In fact, that probably would have been closer to the fun of getting my first vanilla epics, which I got after weeks of grinding AV.

Tarazet

The way that Demonology feels with 12K Haste, Whispers in the Dark and Charm of the Rising Tide is how it should feel all the time. If Dreadstalkers and Shadow Bolt had a 1.5 second cast time there would be a lot more people giving it a shot.

I don't get why they don't have some sort of deterministic method for earning Legendaries working in parallel with the pure rng drops. Like adding a currency or something that drops in Raids and M+ off of bosses, and lets people eventually earn the Legendaries they want/need.

The way that Demonology feels with 12K Haste, Whispers in the Dark and Charm of the Rising Tide is how it should feel all the time. If Dreadstalkers and Shadow Bolt had a 1.5 second cast time there would be a lot more people giving it a shot.

But you run out of mana so fast. I end up outpacing my own rotation, especially with the tomb 4 piece that sometimes resets the dreadtalkers cd

Robin64

blizzheaderbzuil.png

With Turalyon being the WoW rep, their coverage is definitely just going to be 7.3 stuff. (Possibly 7.3.5, too)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
blizzheaderbzuil.png

With Turalyon being the WoW rep, their coverage is definitely just going to be 7.3 stuff. (Possibly 7.3.5, too)
Yes. There will be an overview of patch 7.3 and a playthrough of the Seat of the Triumvirate dungeon. Championships and Mythic dungeon contest also.

Entropia

No One Remembers
blizzheaderbzuil.png

Err...

So there's Turalyon, some heartstone player, some sort of machine kerrigan?, some protoss dude, a D3 Necromancer, and Parah.

The artifact power IS Breath of Sindragosa. You just have to put points into the weapon to get it for whatever reason.

Sindragosa's Fury? If it's not confusing enough, heh, BoS is a lvl100 talent. A 5 minute CD ability is kinda a letdown also. My other characters have 1 minute CD abilities, or one with multiple charges, and they end up feeling more of a part of the rotation, and frost DK could use a little more going on, even though I find the spec extremely fun. Not the most complex, but it feels smooth.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Sounds like the Trial of Style is going over swimmingly according to reddit.

You can queue up as a group to rig the votes.
People not giving a fuck about the theme of the mog (i.e. just voting for the naked female BElf)

Sounds like the Trial of Style is going over swimmingly according to reddit.

You can queue up as a group to rig the votes.
People not giving a fuck about the theme of the mog (i.e. just voting for the naked female BElf)

Yeah, I was just reading that over.

eoa6c4qzcagz.png

People taking a simple in-game event way too seriously, lol.

RIP. What happened?

Mainly just the leadership decided to call it quits after all the turnover in the past year. Too much stress and time involved on their part in the recruiting game I think. Is the short of it. Especially hard was losing the original GM during Emerald Nightmare, along with more recent failures in Nighthold and then a couple high profile departures in the past few weeks.

Would like to continue on my DH if possible, but I'm willing to pick up and put the time in my Sub Rogue if that's what it takes to get a spot somewhere. I'm just not very good at Rogue (yet). But I guess that's to be expected when I've only had my Rogue at like 3 days /played at 110 compared to the 60+ on my DH in the past year.

Also have a Mage with okay gear (911 ilvl), but she got shafted on legendaries. Rogue is like 912 equipped with 4 set, CoF, Mantle (and gloves, plus some other worse legendaries). Pretty good spot to build on, especially if I can tease Denial of the Half-Giants out of Relinquished tokens - I'll have at least 4 to try (20k shards) soon, but I think I need to build up some more bad luck protection first since I just got the gloves the other day.

My DH is 932 with every Havoc (and some Veng) legendaries though. And that's with an 860 Arcano equipped.

So yeah.

Tarazet

But you run out of mana so fast. I end up outpacing my own rotation, especially with the tomb 4 piece that sometimes resets the dreadtalkers cd

You do run out of mana stupid fast as Demo. I got myself into the habit of tapping before Dreadstalkers came off cooldown, and double-tapping if my trinket was available, so that I could fully benefit from the haste buffs. It made a huge difference. You really need those long uninterrupted stretches of casting to get the most out of Demo. If you can pull it off, it feels like you just used Surrender to Madness, but you don't die at the end of it. And on the field it looks like you have your own mini-Legion.

Also, a /stopcasting macro for Call Dreadstalkers is mandatory right now, because it's not at all obvious when the 2p bonus proc'd and you can cast Call Dreadstalkers again. I'll get up to 4 shards, queue up Hand of Gul'dan but cancel it if I see Dreadstalkers reset.

Adaren

Trial of Style is fucking awesome.

Only thing is that I wish there were a few more rewards (but if it was too grindy, then it would encourage vote rigging groups. The fact that you can get all your rewards in just a few runs discourages that.)

It's quick, fun, low-stress, and encourages socializing and creativity. Every group I was in was great.

Angry Grimace

Sindragosa's Fury? If it's not confusing enough, heh, BoS is a lvl100 talent. A 5 minute CD ability is kinda a letdown also. My other characters have 1 minute CD abilities, or one with multiple charges, and they end up feeling more of a part of the rotation, and frost DK could use a little more going on, even though I find the spec extremely fun. Not the most complex, but it feels smooth.

Well one of them is the ACTUAL Breath of Sindragosa and one of them is a dumb talent that ruined Frost DK

My Trial of Style groups have overall been very positive. You still have one or two people trying to go for the skimpiest outfit possible but they never win. Last group had a really awesome swashbuckling Rogue outfit on her.

Top Bottom