• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

andthebeatgoeson

If you build it, Nintendo, they will come. Sign me up if in-house Nintendo output shoots up considerably for the Wii-U gen.

Yeah, what the hell do they do with all those resources? 1200 for a third R&D division? Are they building super-weapons to take over the world or something?

Preparing to go 3rd party, duh.

He had a lot of resources, the end product didn't live up to what he could have done with said resources, people didn't like that it fell short.

Who are talking about there? Also, the end product didn't live up to the resources? Lol did you even play the game? It's jampacked with everything Sakurai could possibly had the time to do and it uses the Wii's capabilities to it's full potential.

Ezalc

Who are talking about there? Also, the end product didn't live up to the resources? Lol did you even play the game? It's jampacked with everything Sakurai could possibly had the time to do and it uses the Wii's capabilities to it's full potential.

Quantity means nothing when quality isn't there. Brawl had a lot of features sure, but a lot of pointless ones.

I'm mainly talking about the people who were around me. There was a pretty sizeable amount of people in my high school who didn't enjoy the changes to the game. And after going online I kept seeing a lot of the same complaints.

El Sloth

Banned
Quantity means nothing when quality isn't there. Brawl had a lot of features sure, but a lot of pointless ones.

I'm mainly talking about the people who were around me. There was a pretty sizeable amount of people in my high school who didn't enjoy the changes to the game. And after going online I kept seeing a lot of the same complaints.
That's quite the scientific study you did there. How could anyone possibly disagree with that.

Axiology

Hey, this is a stupid argument.

Some people prefer Brawl, most prefer Melee.
I prefer Brawl

who cares?

As for why people like Sakurai so much, he tends to make really really fun action games with very tight gameplay. Also, ever since Melee he's gotten into the habit of packing each of his games to the brim with content- Brawl being his greatest achievement in this field. Also, his resume. Why do you like your favorite developer? Probably the same reason people like him. Kirby, Super Smash Bros, Meteos and Kid Icarus don't lie.

In fact, if you want a crash course in what makes Sakurai so good, check out Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's got some of the most charm I've ever seen in a video game, and while Sakurai isn't Miyamoto-status, he definitely has his own, distinct way of doing things that really stands out in Nintendo.

As for people earlier saying they'd like to see him try his hand at Zelda, I'm pretty sure whatever he came up with would be great, but with Zelda being mostly puzzle-based and slower pace it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of his games. I also feel Zelda really needs to have somewhat of an "Eastern" influence in its design- especially as the latest ones have been getting weirder and weirder, so i can't see a Retro Studios made Zelda happening. If they did make one it would be glorious, however. They've proven themselves in that slow, puzzle-based field with the Prime trilogy.

And it would be a looker.

DjRoomba

Banned
Brawl is fine as multiplayer game. Ithink people just get turned off by the whole lacklustre Subspace thing and the crappy online. and maybe the more physicsy jumping and stuff. As far as Miyamoto leaving, im fine with that and more people should be fine with that. He seems to have too much influence to the occasional detriment of some games. he needs to go back to directing games himself

PogiJones

Banned
It was widely disliked, in my community and from what I saw online at least.

I would say widely thought of as a lesser game than Melee.

Brawl was without a doubt the more polished game (with the exception of MK's balancing). The competitiveness was reduced, for sure, and the physics and style were adjusted, but those are all subjective measures. But my friends and I all preferred Brawl over Melee as an overall package. While physics and the deep mechanics are important, so is all the other content (items, characters, music, stages, etc.). Now my whole group plays Project:M because it's the best of both worlds: It's much more competitive, has the old physics, but has all the content that Brawl provides.

IrishNinja

why you guys keep replying to a guy who knocks a dev for one game he didn't like and others he didn't bother playing is beyond me, usually we maintain some decent conversation for at least a full page and a half after kajima salvages things the way he does

Boney

Banned
why you guys keep replying to a guy who knocks a dev for one game he didn't like and others he didn't bother playing is beyond me, usually we maintain some decent conversation for at least a full page and a half after kajima salvages things the way he does

get back to work you bum

Ranger X

I'm happy Tezuka is replacing Miyamoto ('cause it was the best contender really) but seeing Miyamoto backing to small project and teaching new devs is probably an indication of his age. This guy sadly is a mortal and I feel that the fall of Nintendo (at least in matter of games that pleases me) will end with his eventual departure.

GhaleonQ

This sounds good for management, but it could be good or bad for games-for-us.

I find a lot of the commentary in here fascinating. Good stuff, NeoGAF.

What most concerns me is the competitive climate it creates for Nintendo's next generation of lead designers, composers, producers, et cetera. I hope that these are less veteran-tweak-their-chosen-successor's-game and more competition-between-all-staff-to-prototype-new-creative-ideas. From what's in the original post, it sounds like Miyamoto's Kyoto group might do the latter at least.

This sounds like the inflection point for Nintendo.

Ezalc

Fuck you too then bud. I asked why people liked him and seemed to put him on a level that I felt he didn't live up to, I played all the smash games and many of the kirby games. KI was the only game I didn't play since I don't have a 3DS, not exactly due to not wanting one.

ASIS

It was widely disliked, in my community and from what I saw online at least.

Don't make that mistake. Unsatisfied people are always the ones who scream the loudest. They always make it seem like the quantity is bigger than the reality.

IrishNinja

Fuck you too then bud. I asked why people liked him and seemed to put him on a level that I felt he didn't live up to, I played all the smash games and many of the kirby games. KI was the only game I didn't play since I don't have a 3DS, not exactly due to not wanting one.

you've all but derailed a thread to post about

a) your dislike of brawl
b) your attempt to back this via ad populum, which you didn't even manage
c) restating your feelings and which games you own/dont own

all of that is fantastic and irrelevant to the topic, where you could've just said "Sakurai's not my cup of tea" and kept it moving, but making things personal is apparently more fun, so to quote a friend of mine: you have a great summer pal!

onilink88

Kaijima post makes sense. Nintendo has a huge catalogue of I.P's they can draw upon...so ofcourse the main focus is to try and create as much software and as efficiently as possible.

And as has already been pointed out, this restructuring was a product of addressing output deficiencies. None of these changes are, in any capacity whatsoever, due to Nintendo bending to your postulated considerations.

Where did I ask or expect 360/PS3/PC ports?

It's what you should have expected. There is absolutely no reason for third parties to go out of their way to accommodate a platform that wasn't compatible with their development tools. If the Wii had modern hardware, there wouldn't be much stopping it from getting the same grade-A efforts that the PS3/360 were presented with.

It's not hyperbole...it's the truth.

conspiracyh.jpg

Only a handful of developers and publishers made an effort to make good/decent games on the Wii. Miyamoto even called them out in a Newsweek interview with N'Gai Croal. GAF thread at the time for you to read. Notice the date...

And since that time, there has been plenty of third party titles worth owning.

The fact is that the Wii ended up being a wasteland because developers and publishers treated the platform like a dumping ground for their shovelware. Look at this stuff. It's horrible horrible software and you want to say I'm being hyperbolic? Riiiight!

So, in your special, little world, the Wii has been the first to have been subject to such a phenomenon?

Those developers and publishers wouldn't dare put this stuff out on the PS3/360...but they happily took a shit on the Wii...and you know why? Because they think they're above having to put out good/decent games on a Nintendo system. i.e contempt for Nintendo.

Let me tell you something: if the PS3/360 had been pushing PS2/NDS/Wii numbers, you would be witnessing the very same effect.

Since it seems you've completely closed off all channels of reason and are hellbent on pushing your lala-land narrative, I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore.

PKrockin

As for people earlier saying they'd like to see him try his hand at Zelda, I'm pretty sure whatever he came up with would be great, but with Zelda being mostly puzzle-based and slower pace it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of his games.

Zelda II successor. I would shit my pants.

it will never happen

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Every single platform known to man gets the worst shovelware imaginable, period. The Wii, despite the narrative that publishers (overall) intentionally dumped shovelware on it, got no more and no worse than any other platform.

The main problem with the Wii wasn't active conspiracy, but rather publishers being caught flat footed and not knowing what to do or if they should try to take advantage of the phenomenon.

The closest thing to any actual concerted effort to knowingly offload crap onto the Wii in place of "real games", arguably, was the small number of Insult Editions of popular games: rail shooters instead of a real Dead Space or Resident Evil sequel, Soul Calibur Button Mashing Adventures, and so forth.

But while those games were intentional, they still seem more a case of publishers not having a clue what the Wii audience was, and not wishing to commit even one big project to test the waters. Note that I'm not saying we should have expected the Wii to get a downport of Resident Evil 5 - but rather something like the equivalent of a Resident Evil Revelations to capitalize on the success of RE4: Wii Edition. It's all academic now. But I figure there's your real argument for the historians: debating whether pubs could have found more core game audience success on Wii, had they rallied and worked to build it early on.

And to be honest, in my anecdotal experience part of what really hurt the Wii software wise was Wii owners themselves. Wii became the console "everybody demanded games for, then didn't buy them when they came out". I knew like a dozen regular type gamers, not casual folk, who played a couple of Wii games then unhooked it because they said it didn't get enough serious games. Then when stuff like Muramasa, or Red Steel II, came out, I would point these games out: they said "those look cool, but I don't play Wii anymore. It doesn't have enough real games."

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo should just let their employees work from home.

Dear sweet lord in heaven, with your cheerful santa claus face and your majestic white beard, i beg you to let the next smash bros be so noob friendly, so random, so rigged, so unexploitable, and so floaty that it makes brawl look like melee in comparison. I ask this not for myself, but for all to witness the utter glory of the nerd tears that will most certainly be cascading like waterfalls all over gaming forums in all corners of the earth for decades to come.

Dear sweet lord make this a reality. Let every character be called "broken".

Dear sweet lord in heaven, with your cheerful santa claus face and your majestic white beard, i beg you to let the next smash bros be so noob friendly, so random, so rigged, so unexploitable, and so floaty that it makes brawl look like melee in comparison. I ask this not for myself, but for all to witness the utter glory of the nerd tears that will most certainly be cascading like waterfalls all over gaming forums in all corners of the earth for decades to come.

I smiled.

This isn't what I want either, but I applaud your sinister, salty motive.

qq more

If not, then make Melee HD with lots of tripping :D

filler

Banned
I think it would be better if they allowed for the player with th wiipad, to randomly trip and block projectiles by tapping on the screen. In fact, it should be the only way to play the game.

leroidys

Every single platform known to man gets the worst shovelware imaginable, period. The Wii, despite the narrative that publishers (overall) intentionally dumped shovelware on it, got no more and no worse than any other platform.

The main problem with the Wii wasn't active conspiracy, but rather publishers being caught flat footed and not knowing what to do or if they should try to take advantage of the phenomenon.

The closest thing to any actual concerted effort to knowingly offload crap onto the Wii in place of "real games", arguably, was the small number of Insult Editions of popular games: rail shooters instead of a real Dead Space or Resident Evil sequel, Soul Calibur Button Mashing Adventures, and so forth.

But while those games were intentional, they still seem more a case of publishers not having a clue what the Wii audience was, and not wishing to commit even one big project to test the waters. Note that I'm not saying we should have expected the Wii to get a downport of Resident Evil 5 - but rather something like the equivalent of a Resident Evil Revelations to capitalize on the success of RE4: Wii Edition. It's all academic now. But I figure there's your real argument for the historians: debating whether pubs could have found more core game audience success on Wii, had they rallied and worked to build it early on.

And to be honest, in my anecdotal experience part of what really hurt the Wii software wise was Wii owners themselves. Wii became the console "everybody demanded games for, then didn't buy them when they came out". I knew like a dozen regular type gamers, not casual folk, who played a couple of Wii games then unhooked it because they said it didn't get enough serious games. Then when stuff like Muramasa, or Red Steel II, came out, I would point these games out: they said "those look cool, but I don't play Wii anymore. It doesn't have enough real games."

There was stuff like Elebits, Dewy's Adventure, Zack & Wiki, etc. early on that sold like shit and convinced devs like Capcom and Konami to not bother, unfortunately.

magash

There was stuff like Elebits, Dewy's Adventure, Zack & Wiki, etc. early on that sold like shit and convinced devs like Capcom and Konami to not bother, unfortunately.

Stuff like Elebits, Dewy's Adventure, Zack & Wiki were never ever going to sell on any platform. Developers early on made niche games for the Wii and when those games bombed they just didn't bother.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Also, Zack & Wiki was the first game I never was able to find in a retailer upon release. I waso nly able to find it online. Target, Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart.... none of the stores here in the Twin Cities had it. Never seen a game as poorly distributed.

AzaK

Also, Zack & Wiki was the first game I never was able to find in a retailer upon release. I waso nly able to find it online. Target, Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart.... none of the stores here in the Twin Cities had it. Never seen a game as poorly distributed.

Especially one so awesome. Despite the fact that the initial motion controls of Wii were not perfect, they did an amazing job with this game. One of the most refreshing games I've played in many, many years.

@MUWANdo

Banned

These games are a prime example of the problem outlined earlier--instead of committing to casual games, or more traditional game-y games, they gave us traditional games that looked indistinguishable from casual garbage at first glance, and then wondered why no-one was buying them.

As far as Miyamoto leaving, im fine with that and more people should be fine with that. He seems to have too much influence to the occasional detriment of some games. he needs to go back to directing games himself

I agree. It's not that games actually got worse, but there was a clear trend to uniformity.
Personally I can't wait to see Miyamoto being back in the director seat, focusing on his own projects, not having to worry about how a franchise "has" to be or "has" to become, but just go on making games.

On the other hand, now the rest of the teams won't have to conform with Miyamotos vision of a game and can actually pursue new design ideas and approaches.

It's a win win situation and I congratulate Miyamoto first and foremost. The guy is a creative being. Working as a manager sure as hell didn't suit him, and I doubt he was very happy with his job (except maybe for his salary)

tassletine

You're still in high school so aren't a real person yet :) This is pretty much emphasised by the fact you seem to think teenagers opinions are representative of the public as a whole. They often over react, as you will understand in a few years. He says in his most patronising tone.

For instance most adults think The Social Network is about a bunch of insufferable pricks, completely forgetting that that is exactly what is expected of you at that age. Shouting angry teenagers are tolerated, but act that way when you're past your twenties and expect to live the rest of your life as a hobo (or an internet blogger).

Sipowicz

Banned
What they need is mew ip and western developers with some resources behind them. Sony showed them the way

Nintendo is as conservative with software as sony is with hardware

Brawl was terrible, thus why I don't understand the love. As for KI I haven't played that seeing as I don't have a 3DS.

I don't think you know what the word 'terrible' means... because brawl was far from it. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

Nerd tears?

Given how well Project M is going I'm sure people will simply wait until the game can be hacked regardless of how it turns out. IDK how those people do it but they make some really awesome move set options for the characters that could use a revamp.

And on a side note, I have yet to meet some one who likes Brawl more than Melee. It's either "melee's way better/ faster" or they seem to not care and pick brawl simply because it has more characters. But hey, these are people who with gang up on anyone playing Pitt because they think he's broken. :/

Sakurai joining EAD really doesn't mean that much to me. They were already fucking incredible, if anything seeing them get expanded is much more exciting. I mean i love Sakurais games but EAD is pretty much as good as developers get already.

I would say widely thought of as a lesser game than Melee.

Is it at all relevant to point out that brawl is the best selling game in the series with a metascore of 93? Even if it's true that melee is the better game that isn't really saying much. Melee is pretty close to the best game of all time imo. It's gaming at its best really.

Top Bottom