• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims Obama, other presidents never called families of fallen soldiers

Jesus fuck it just keeps going.

I'm at the point now where I'm just in awe. Trump can make whatever outrageous claim he wants, and if .00000001% of it is true, enough people will latch onto it.

We went from "no other president made calls ever" to "Obama never called (unclear if he did something else) this one specific soldier's family."

Then the peanut gallery goes VINDICATED VINDICATED VINDICATED. There's no way the original claim can be anything but 0% true. Past presidents have called. There's at least one documented case of Obama doing it. Impossible to believe others didn't either at some point.

45 with the brain of a 4 and the blame of a 5.

According to Huckabee Sanders, we're going to be begging for Trump to be reelected.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders predicted Tuesday that President Donald Trump will be so successful in the remainder of his term that Americans are “going to be begging for four more years of President Trump.”

“You know, I don’t know if that’s even being talked about yet, but I have a lot of confidence that that shouldn’t be an issue for the president to be renominated,” Sanders said. “He’s had an incredibly successful first nine months in office, and I think the next 3½, or 2½, three years, are going to be equally as successful, including getting tax reform done, which is going to be a big deal and make a really big impact on most Americans.”

“And they’re going to be begging for four more years of President Trump,” she added.

Future

Trump and the White House lie so often and so frequently that literally everything they announce should be sat on until confirmed. The main stream media just can't seem to grasp the fact that the white house and the president just lie. All the time. Constantly. With no shame.

The media grasps it. But they like reporting it because it translates to more story views and hits.

Trump thrives on the publicity he gets. Even publicity from lying. And media thrives on all the news this creates. It’s a slippery slope where everyone is falling deeper in the gutter while media profits skyrocket.

Scirrocco

You're inferring that he has some kind of plan when he does shit like this... I think it's been proven, many times, that there's never a plan or ultimate goal. He just makes him stream of consciousness public for the whole world to see.

Does it matter if its intentional if that's effectively what happens? Trump is doing by accident and his personal nature what a smarter man might do on purpose.

cornerman

The problem with this is people have been pushing this narrative of Trump being kept in check and being handled. Time and time again though Trump continues to do shitty and hurtful things showing he is not being held in check. I would rather his protective facade crumble around him instead of leaving him propped up in any form.

If it's a facade only, fine. The problem is the moment it goes beyond that. The second NK calls him a name and he doesn't have anyone to reiterate the dangers or defy orders. Look he's going to cause damage regardless. He's going to overturn policies and all that. It sucks but we can reverse those with time...but war and conflicts aren't so easily reversed. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to illustrate why these guys 'might' remain in their role.

Apparently the source is...Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and the media is blindly running with it. Amazing. Maybe it's accurate; seems like something Kelly must have told Trump, one way or another. Regardless this is a pathetic attempt at deflection and the media is carrying his water.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
According to Huckabee Sanders, we're going to be begging for Trump to be reelected.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders predicted Tuesday that President Donald Trump will be so successful in the remainder of his term that Americans are “going to be begging for four more years of President Trump.”

“You know, I don’t know if that’s even being talked about yet, but I have a lot of confidence that that shouldn’t be an issue for the president to be renominated,” Sanders said. “He’s had an incredibly successful first nine months in office, and I think the next 3½, or 2½, three years, are going to be equally as successful, including getting tax reform done, which is going to be a big deal and make a really big impact on most Americans.”

“And they’re going to be begging for four more years of President Trump,” she added.
I wonder what it's like to live, swim and breathe in bullshit every single day.

Any sane person would need to bathe for the rest of their natural life after saying half of that.

I look forward to what they'll blame a market crunch on.

TS-08

This is a serious character moment for Kelly. The president is now using his son’s DEATH for political gamesmanship, I’d imagine there has got to be a fucking line to this madness and what the qualified people around him are willing to take w/out bowing out themselves. This is really, really beyond the pale.

Why are you and some others assuming that Kelly isn’t on board with this talking point? Where do you think the information that Obama potentially didn’t call Kelly came from in the first place?

megalowho

Apparently the source is...Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and the media is blindly running with it. Amazing. Maybe it's accurate; seems like something Kelly must have told Trump, one way or another. Regardless this is a pathetic attempt at deflection and the media is carrying his water.
It's so irresponsible and representative of how the media is failing the public by chasing stories based on compulsory lies and Trump's wounded ego for the drama. If Gen. Kelly has nothing to say to confirm, what are we doing spreading more bs and slander from the administration?

One thing that Trump has always been good at, even in his currently mentally enfeebled state, is lying in the vaguest possible terms so it's difficult later to press him on the lie. He's been doing it for decades and we're watching it unfold for the upteenth time so far this year.

jmdajr

One thing that Trump has always been good at, even in his currently mentally enfeebled state, is lying in the vaguest possible terms so it's difficult later to press him on the lie. He's been doing it for decades and we're watching it unfold for the upteenth time so far this year.
There was a debate term for this. I forget what it's called. But you throw so many lies at once that's it's almost impossible to counter.

ivajz

It's literally fucking impossible that after all the years they worked together that Obama never turned to Kelly and gave him condolences and thanked him for his and his son's service.

Oh totally. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is trying to get by on a technicality. While he didn't call, maybe he went in person instead. That kind of thing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else pissed off how Trump seems invincible to any sort of consequences to his actions/lies? We're almost to the point where the only thing that could hurt him is if he kill someone, and it would also have to be filmed so that no one doubt it, not even his supporters.

Anyone else pissed off how Trump seems invincible to any sort of consequences to his actions/lies? We're almost to the point where the only thing that could hurt him is if he kill someone, and it would also have to be filmed so that no one doubt it, not even his supporters.

"That ain't nothing but photoshop."

We went from "no other president made calls ever" to "Obama never called (unclear if he did something else) this one specific soldier's family."

Then the peanut gallery goes VINDICATED VINDICATED VINDICATED. There's no way the original claim can be anything but 0% true. Past presidents have called. There's at least one documented case of Obama doing it. Impossible to believe others didn't either at some point.

That's how right wing propaganda works. You start with a small truth, then draw a long line to some insane conclusion and present it as if the one makes the other valid. This is a cult we're dealing with here. It's not an ideology or even just politics, it's a cult masquerading as politics.

Trump does not address the people. He addresses his cult. Whatever anyone else interprets from his statements is secondary. The free press simply covers what the president says and does. The problem with that is that they are not covering a president this time. They are covering a cult leader who has no interest in being truthful or honest in any capacity. The cult leader is only concerned about keeping the cult members devoted true believers. That's what Trump does all day every day. The work of being president is secondary at best. It's an obstacle, a pain in the ass. It gets in the way of manipulating everyone so that he maintains their adoration and his position as cult leader.

This latest controversy is just the latest in a long, long line of controversies that are all simply communications from a cult leader to his cult that are reported by the press as if he's a president communicating to the American people.

Red

What do you mean by “invincible”? Has congress supported his major legislative initiatives? Is his approval rating drastically up? Are Republicans winning special elections at an unusually high rate? Are his chosen candidates finding success?

Trump is "surprised" about dishonest media.

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he was ”surprised" by what he perceived as the media's continued antipathy towards him after last year's election, characterizing CNN and NBC News ”a joke" and ”a total joke," respectively.

”Actually, dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most. I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They've gone crazy," Trump told radio host Chris Plante Tuesday. ”CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I'm doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest and frankly, I've never seen anything quite like it."

”But The New York Times, The Washington Post, they write whatever they want to write. You know, they have an agenda. We'll have to figure out what their agenda is, but they do have an agenda," the president said Tuesday. ”I think that's one of the biggest surprises, is the level of dishonesty. Interestingly, after I won, I said ‘well now I'll bet the media starts to shape up, and you know, it's over, so now' – and it actually has gotten worse than during the campaign."

Ironically, that obnoxious Jacob Wohl calls the media fake while linking "positive" articles from NYT and WaPo lol

Gutek

What do you mean by “invincible”? Has congress supported his major legislative initiatives? Is his approval rating drastically up? Are Republicans winning special elections at an unusually high rate?

He should have been gone a long fucking time ago. That pussy tape should’ve cost him the presidency. He got way too much mileage out of his shitty antics. And enabling assmunchers like Kelly are part of the problem. What a spineless coward.

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he was “surprised” by what he perceived as the media’s continued antipathy towards him after last year’s election, characterizing CNN and NBC News “a joke” and “a total joke,” respectively.

“Actually, dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most. I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They’ve gone crazy,” Trump told radio host Chris Plante Tuesday. “CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I’m doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest and frankly, I’ve never seen anything quite like it.”

“But The New York Times, The Washington Post, they write whatever they want to write. You know, they have an agenda. We’ll have to figure out what their agenda is, but they do have an agenda,” the president said Tuesday. “I think that’s one of the biggest surprises, is the level of dishonesty. Interestingly, after I won, I said ‘well now I’ll bet the media starts to shape up, and you know, it’s over, so now’ – and it actually has gotten worse than during the campaign.”

Ironically, that obnoxious Jacob Wohl calls the media fake while linking "positive" artic frim NYT and WaPo lol

I know I hate it when I'm quoted directly and shown on video saying what I said.

rjinaz

You give his supporters way too much credit. That wouldn't even do it for them. It would be altered video conspiracies and assuming the person must have deserved it

No, because this is exactly what his supporters love. They pretend that nothing is wrong and libruls are just getting our panties in a bunch over nothing (and Obama did it too anyway!).

I honestly have no idea what specifically happened during Obama's presidency (aside from existing and doing a great job) that antagonized them to the point where they believe that propping up this diseased corpse and calling him president is somehow fair payback. I done giving them the satisfaction of my anger though, I can't extend any more energy on these idiots.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No, because this is exactly what his supporters love. They pretend that nothing is wrong and libruls are just getting our panties in a bunch over nothing (and Obama did it too anyway!).

I honestly have no idea what specifically happened during Obama's presidency (aside from existing and doing a great job) that antagonized them to the point where they believe that propping up this diseased corpse and calling him president is somehow fair payback. I done giving them the satisfaction of my anger though, I can't exend any more energy on these idiots.

Obama was black

Obama used their heard earned blood and tears taxpayer dollars to give free abortions to welfare queen inner city moms with their Obamaphones

I know I hate it when I'm quoted directly and shown on video saying what I said.

That's what blows my mind.

Literally all of the bad press is because of the awful and ridiculous things he's said and done since becoming president.

I mean goddamn motherfucker. All Trump had to do was just be a vanilla president who does his job. Instead every day is fucking insanity. Then he plays the victim card to appeal to his base of psychopaths.

Fucking motherfucker fuck fucked fucking fucker FFUUUUCCCCKKKK

...and Kelly will still not step down. Even after this shitbag used his dead son as a political prop.

Given the multiple stories that Kelly and Mattis believe it's their duty to stay and essentially prevent complete chaos, I'm not going to criticize Kelly for whatever his decision ends up being. What Trump is doing is insidious and downright disgusting. Yet I can't help but think, while Kelly perhaps isn't as respectable as we think (assuming he told Trump about this information*), he's still a patriot at the fucking least. I can't fathom Trump hiring a more respected/trusted CoS than Kelly so...

*Given the story about the Gold Star dinner, perhaps Kelly told Trump that while Obama didn't call, he gave him condolences in person.

Ithil

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he was “surprised” by what he perceived as the media’s continued antipathy towards him after last year’s election, characterizing CNN and NBC News “a joke” and “a total joke,” respectively.

“Actually, dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most. I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They’ve gone crazy,” Trump told radio host Chris Plante Tuesday. “CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I’m doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest and frankly, I’ve never seen anything quite like it.”

“But The New York Times, The Washington Post, they write whatever they want to write. You know, they have an agenda. We’ll have to figure out what their agenda is, but they do have an agenda,” the president said Tuesday. “I think that’s one of the biggest surprises, is the level of dishonesty. Interestingly, after I won, I said ‘well now I’ll bet the media starts to shape up, and you know, it’s over, so now’ – and it actually has gotten worse than during the campaign.”

Ironically, that obnoxious Jacob Wohl calls the media fake while linking "positive" artic frim NYT and WaPo lol

Translation: "I thought I would be entitled to blind praise and respect because I was president"

Gutek

Given the multiple stories that Kelly and Mattis believe it's their duty to stay and essentially prevent complete chaos, I'm not going to criticize Kelly for whatever his decision ends up being. What Trump is doing is insidious and downright disgusting. Yet I can't help but think, while Kelly perhaps isn't as respectable as we think (assuming he told Trump about this information*), he's still a patriot at the fucking least. I can't fathom Trump hiring a more respected/trusted CoS than Kelly so...

*Given the story about the Gold Star dinner, perhaps Kelly told Trump that while Obama didn't call, he gave him condolences in person.

Kelly is a piece of shit racist. He needs to be removed from power.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/re...l-immigrants-criminals-to-justify-mass-raids/

Hesemonni

Banned
Why are you and some others assuming that Kelly isn’t on board with this talking point? Where do you think the information that Obama potentially didn’t call Kelly came from in the first place?
The impression I've gotten Kelly isn't into petty stuff like this and definately doesn't want the death of his son politicized in anyway. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good amount of shouting behind closed doors at Trump because of this. Waiting for WaPo!

You're giving Trump waaaaay too much credit thinking he actually bothered to consult Kelly or remember any details Kelly might have told him about his interactions with Obama.

Trump probably just spouted bullshit. Just like how he spouted bullshit about this the first time.

norm9

The impression I've gotten Kelly isn't into petty stuff like this and definately doesn't want the death of his son politicized in anyway. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good amount of shouting behind closed doors at Trump because of this. Waiting for WaPo!

Well, it depends if he's matured since that "use the sword to stab journalists" line he joked with trump a few months ago.

Me? I don't trust him. He's in a group of snakes working for a snake being given the benfit of the doubt. We've fallen so far, exxon ceo Tillerson is being consdered a patriot too. Nah, gimme receipts before I latch onto either of thses clowns as a buoy.

TS-08

There’s just no way Kelly relayed this information to Trump without at least assuming the risk he would bring it up in response to this story. If Kelly somehow thought Trump wouldn’t, then I don’t know what to say other than he is naive as hell.

taybul

He should have been gone a long fucking time ago. That pussy tape should’ve cost him the presidency. He got way too much mileage out of his shitty antics. And enabling assmunchers like Kelly are part of the problem. What a spineless coward.

Not necessarily agreeing that he's "invincible" but there has been so much scrutiny that's come his way that's resulted in nothing that I really don't expect much from any negative news about him nowadays, things like the pussy tape, mocking the disabled reporter at a rally, claiming Pence wants to "hang them all"...nothing short of actually murdering someone or indisputable proof of direct Russian collusion (remember he spoke with Putin behind closed doors for over an hour at that one dinner?), maybe, will oust him.

Hesemonni

Banned
There’s just no way Kelly relayed this information to Trump without at least assuming the risk he would bring it up in response to this story. If Kelly somehow thought Trump wouldn’t, then I don’t know what to say other than he is naive as hell.
Trump: Did Obama call you when your son died in Afghanistan?
Kelly: No, he offered his condolences in person.
Trump: That unpatriotic son of a bitch!
Kelly: Mr President, he was...
*running out of the oval office*
Trump: OBAMA DID IT AGAIN! CALL FOX NEWS!

Gutek

If Kelly does not step down after his dead son was used as a political prop for one of Trump’s petty spats with the media, then there are only 2 options:

1. He is a vile enabler and doormat

Or

2. He is in on it and actively working with Trump to undermine American democracy

trumpface2.jpg

2016-08-01t22-37-01-733z--1280x720.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

Fuck Trump for trying to play the country by using military patriotism.

Trump: Did Obama call you when your son died in Afghanistan?
Kelly: No, he offered his condolences in person.
Trump: That unpatriotic son of a bitch!
Kelly: Mr President, he was...
*running out of the oval office*
Trump: OBAMA DID IT AGAIN! CALL FOX NEWS!

Yep, that's all Trump needs to hear.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well, it depends if he's matured since that "use the sword to stab journalists" line he joked with trump a few months ago.

Me? I don't trust him. He's in a group of snakes working for a snake being given the benfit of the doubt. We've fallen so far, exxon ceo Tillerson is being consdered a patriot too. Nah, gimme receipts before I latch onto either of thses clowns as a buoy.

Kelly seems like he is a.) a true believer on Trump's general "fuck foreigners" platform, judging from his time at Gitmo and his willingness to carry out the travel ban and ICE raids at DHS, b.) someone who, otherwise, sees himself in the Mattis camp of defending the country against complete dysfunction at home and absolute catastrophe abroad from Trump's general incompetence and fits of pique, and c.) someone who in service of B, is willing to engage in a huge amount of flattery towards Trump, as evidenced by the bit with the sword and the journalists, and, I don't doubt, stroking Trump's ego in some way on this issue of calling soldiers' families that's led to Trump's current interpretation of facts.

Wilsongt

She spews as much shit from her mouth as her father does.

jstripes

Banned
The GOP really is the party of shit not stinking.

Everything, everything, is like fucking Rob Ford's term as Mayor, but on a much larger scale.

He actually would have been reelected if cancer hadn't taken him down.

Top Bottom