• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR + PSVR £250

Darko

V2 headset is the exact same internally, just adds HDR passthrough and built in headphones as far as I'm aware.
Um its more than that.

There is no more controls for volume and power on the cord, those along with the headphone port are built into the headset. Also the cord is different, much thinner and a single cable, also the position of the button that slides the headset forward and backward is now at the top of the device.

Theres probly more but thats what ive noticed

Soodanim

Gold Member
If I had a PS4 I would probably buy this. Between this and RE7 it's starting to sound like some extremely good experiences can be had.

How is it laying/sitting down and playing this? Is it worth it? Or is it a stand up sort of situation?

Was it the v2 headset you got or the v1?

Mine was the version 1. I don't think there is any difference with version two regarding what you actually see from what I've seen.

For me, it works really well when your playing something where you just look around you. Like the demos diving in the sea and shark attack are all absolutely incredible. It falls apart though a bit when your expected to move.

Like on skyrim. You push forward on the left stick to move forward. If you turn your head you will walk in that direction. So that new position you are facing now becomes "forward". This is fine I guess if you don't mind playing in a 360 degree space. It doesn't work for sitting down.

To counter this you can turn with the right analogue stick like in normal games but this is where it's vomit inducing. You can turn in angles so instead of a smooth turn it's rigid. For example if you are at zero degrees and you turn right, it will flick instantly to a 30 degree angle (you can change this). This helps a little bit with motion sickness but takes you out of the experience.

It's the same with resident evil also. I don't think vr works great with anything where you can walk around in a free space. But it's great for something on rails.

Toe-Knee

Mine was the version 1. I don't think there is any difference with version two regarding what you actually see from what I've seen.

For me, it works really well when your playing something where you just look around you. Like the demos diving in the sea and shark attack are all absolutely incredible. It falls apart though a bit when your expected to move.

Like on skyrim. You push forward on the left stick to move forward. If you turn your head you will walk in that direction. So that new position you are facing now becomes "forward". This is fine I guess if you don't mind playing in a 360 degree space. It doesn't work for sitting down.

To counter this you can turn with the right analogue stick like in normal games but this is where it's vomit inducing. You can turn in angles so instead of a smooth turn it's rigid. For example if you are at zero degrees and you turn right, it will flick instantly to a 30 degree angle (you can change this). This helps a little bit with motion sickness but takes you out of the experience.

It's the same with resident evil also. I don't think vr works great with anything where you can walk around in a free space. But it's great for something on rails.

I had the same issue with skyrim using a controller. Switching to dual moves helped a lot. It's still step turning but changing that to gradual along with moving my arms more seemed to help loads.

Hissing Sid

Well I received Skyrim today and the headset is set to ship separately on Monday. I’m thinking it’s going to be V1 hardware at this point as I reckon suppliers are using the opportunity to shift their old stock with these bundles.

In which case it will swiftly be winging its way back to everyone’s favourite, tax-dodging multinational on the very same day. Fingers still crossed for a V2 though.

As an aside my Skyrim arrived with the disc rattling around in the case which isn’t a deal breaker but definitely a pet peeve.

Paradicia

Is there any comparison videos between PSV4 Version 1 & 2? Or is the difference so insignificant that no ones bothered?

Humdinger

I bought one today from Smyths and have to say that whilst I love the concept and the wow factor that I got in the first hour, I can't get over the fact of how blurry the device is

I get that it's kinda low Res. I was expecting and wouldn't have been bothered by chunky pixels had they been razor sharp but they just aren't.

Skyrim to me is horrible in vr. Turning smoothly via the right analogue stick is vomit inducing and the stair step turning effect is awful too.

But more than anything, the blurriness no matter what you do.

Sounds like you may have a bad unit.

Or at least, I don't hear anyone else reporting that.

Leviticus

Neo Member
Goods news for everyone hoping to get the official VR-bundle at a lower price: amazon US has now dramatically lowered its price for PSVR. The Skyrim bundle just costs $349 instead of $449.99. All the other bundles are discounted as well. I think the Skyrim-bundle is particularly interesting as it has the new Move-controllers + the new headset.

Even Europeans can order this bundle. I have my order shipped to Germany.

Fahro

Goods news for everyone hoping to get the official VR-bundle at a lower price: amazon US has now dramatically lowered its price for PSVR. The Skyrim bundle just costs $349 instead of $449.99. All the other bundles are discounted as well. I think the Skyrim-bundle is particularly interesting as it has the new Move-controllers + the new headset.

Even Europeans can order this bundle. I have my order shipped to Germany.

Does it matter that we have 220 volts in Germany?

Hissing Sid

So I received my PSVR starter set that was part of a Skyrim bundle sold by Amazon UK and as suspected it was indeed the v1 headset. A particularly tired, shelf worn looking specimen, who’s sealing stickers looked like they’d been previously tampered with.

So it’s on its way back.

Was tempted to order the bundle off Amazon.com, which apparently is the real deal and comes with moves. Comes to approx £350 with shipping and duty. Price is no problem but possible long distance returns headaches put me off.

So I’m waiting for the complete bundle with the new hardware to hit the UK.

Sigh.

Amazing deal. I highly recommend it for those on the fence. Skyrim VR is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in my life.

Yeah the low res of the picture you see isn't actually the problem. Like I mentioned before I could live with that so long as it was razor sharp. But it really isn't. The annoying part is, the demos look good, and the image is very good.

I think, VR works better with high contrasting colours. Skyrim, even on a Pro on a 4K screen is kind of muddy and last gen, so it just highlights the downfalls even more in VR.

Top Bottom