• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Next MMO (Titan) Will Feature In-Game Advertising/Product Placement

psscreenshot00339eq.jpg

Rokam

What do you mean introduced practically buying gold? I haven't been following WoW closely for a while.

They released a pet on the blizzard store that was bind on equip, so you could sell it on the AH. I don't get why people are upset about that, like Blizzard said, people are already buying gold, might as well give them a way to do it that's safe.

What do you mean introduced practically buying gold? I haven't been following WoW closely for a while.

A few months ago, for the first time you could buy a pet in the WoW store (with real money) that also is tradable in the game, giving a legal way to convert real money into game money.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
God... really hope it isn't F2P. I'm really starting to hate F2P games. I'd like to buy the game once and have all the stuff.

God... really hope it isn't F2P. I'm really starting to hate F2P games. I'd like to buy the game once and have all the stuff.

Somehow I'm certain that it will be F2P. Many have already predicted that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the last subscription MMO.

Phenomic

They could easily go with both models. F2P with ad's and stuff to support people who don't want to pay monthly then go with a more hardcore fee system in which this stuff gets removed and probably other perks

Who knows though I'm sure Blizzard will have some crazy innovative madness when this finally gets announced.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Somehow I'm certain that it will be F2P. Many have already predicted that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the last subscription MMO.

Sometimes it's do-able, but have the time it feels like a shit cash grab. I like it when games are actually designed to be games, and have a good amount of depth to them. Games where you can tell the devs are actually into what they're making, instead of doing the bare minimum and putting up a cash shop.

Also if WoW has an assload of subs still, all Blizzard would have to do is make another solid MMO wouldn't they? Doesn't have to be F2P to be successful.

Apath

As long as it's non-intrusive (pauses in gameplay for advertisements), I think it could be kind of neat.

idlewild_

I would be curious to see if a RMT auction house (provided most high-end items are BoP like WoW,) and these in-game ads allow the game to be F2P. If they can put the ads in in a discrete and tasteful manner I really would have no problems with it.

They should patch in-game advertising into skyrim.

"I used to be an adventurer like you until I ate one too many Wendy's delicious spicy chicken sandwiches" and you can see nords chugging down ice cold pepsi's.

Thoraxes

Not once in the OP does it say it's sci-fi. I mean sure, we can make assumptions that it'd be easiest to advertise in that, but nobody knows anything.

Also, I fail to see how being advertised to will ever enhance my gameplay experience. Also, if i'm forced to look at ads while I play, I want to get that money added to my bank account.

nobitakun

Neo Member
Yup, I would wonder whether this makes players to play for free? because I can't belive they're not getting paid for this o_O.

Anyways, I support passive ads instead of youtube-like ads, they can help us to pay less or nothing ;D.

Sometimes it's do-able, but have the time it feels like a shit cash grab. I like it when games are actually designed to be games, and have a good amount of depth to them. Games where you can tell the devs are actually into what they're making, instead of doing the bare minimum and putting up a cash shop.

Also if WoW has an assload of subs still, all Blizzard would have to do is make another solid MMO wouldn't they? Doesn't have to be F2P to be successful.

Technically going F2P would be more beneficial for the type of content produced. With subscription you need to design time sinks i.e. you want people to play the game for as long as possible, so they will pay more. With F2P game you don't have this problem, you just need to make content attractive enough for people to buy.

iamblades

I'm actually thinking it'll be somewhere in between.

I think the 'buy the wow season pass, get diablo III free' is going to be indicative of the direction blizzard will go in the future. I think they will start combining their games into something like station pass.

I'd imagine they will either go with a guild wars style 'buy the box, no subscription fee' in combination with 'monthly subscription for all our games'.

I doubt they will go totally F2P though.

Atomski

Hopefully it will be free 2 play or be a ton cheaper than wows monthly rate. Also I hope they at least try to make the ads fit the universe.

Khezu

Does the real money tradable pet even sell well on AH's? It's just a generic pet, does it do anything interesting?

If people keep buying them, wouldn't they lose there uniqueness and not be worth as much gold anymore?

RPGCrazied

Eww. If I'm paying a month fee, I don't want to see ads for other things. Blizzard related or not. If they really want to be an ad driven game, it should be F2P with micro transactions. Its the way of the MMO, been that way for awhile now.

heh, you wish.

What's the difference between ten dlc packs, and f2p where you buy a bit more incrementally?

See: shitty games like gears 3.

Cipherr

It will definitely have a monthly fee, but im willing to bet it will be a lower than 14.99 per month fee. They will try and likely keep the fee low enough to entice those folks who earn a few bucks on D3 RMAH to spend it on other Blizzard products.

Haunted

Real life ads can work in the right setting.

I don't think a Blizzard game will ever be that setting. I anticipate it being horribly out of place.

Atomski

If its a MMO you are going to pay 15 dollars a month anyways then expansions every year. F2P would be a much better option..

Alex

F2P would be terrible in a Blizzard MMO. If they started doing that they'd prob only patch every six months, recycle assets for 99 percent of new content, start peddling hoards of overpriced nonsense on a cash shop and whine at people "expecting them to have unlimited resources" whenever something they've been promising for years is brought up!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
F2P would be terrible in a Blizzard MMO. If they started doing that they'd prob only patch every six months, recycle assets for 99 percent of new content, start peddling hoards of overpriced nonsense on a cash shop and whine at people "expecting them to have unlimited resources" whenever something they've been promising for years is brought up!
I see what you did there.

Top Bottom