• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

TaroYamada

Well I guess we should break 1000 at the very least in the first 24 hours, good or bad? How did the Dark Souls petition start off? Similarly?

We don't know how difficult the conversion is, only Sega knows that. What do we know how easy or difficult porting VF5 is for that matter?

well VF5 was made on SEGA Lindbergh, which was apparently easy to port on PS3, 360 took a bit more effort I think. Final Showdown took some horrible compression to the audio because of XBLA restrictions.

I imagine in any case, games optimized solely on PS3 without much foresight to have the option for future/multiple platforms might require much more effort to port. Right now targeting the low hanging fruit and having that succeed might convince SEGA to make the effort/risk porting titltes such as VC/Yakuza.

TaroYamada

well VF5 was made on SEGA Lindbergh, which was apparently easy to port on PS3, 360 took a bit more effort I think. Final Showdown took some horrible compression to the audio because of XBLA restrictions.

I imagine in any case, games optimized solely on PS3 without much foresight to have the option for future/multiple platforms might require much more effort to port. Right now targeting the low hanging fruit and having that succeed might convince SEGA to make the effort/risk porting titltes such as VC/Yakuza.

As mentioned in the petition VF5:FS runs on windows embedded in the arcade, it's probably the easiest of the three games to port as such. Not replying to you necessarily, just anybody with questions as to why it's likely a lower cost port effort.

Tain

The first two versions of VF5 were Lindbergh, but Final Showdown is a Windows game right now, actually. That's why it's a good choice.

As mentioned in the petition VF5:FS runs on windows embedded in the arcade, it's probably the easiest of the three games to port as such. Not replying to you necessarily, just anybody with questions as to why it's likely a lower cost port effort.

The first two versions of VF5 were Lindbergh, but Final Showdown is a Windows game right now, actually. That's why it's a good choice.

ah, I was unware of the that, thanks for clearing it up...yea, that would definitely make porting easier.

TaroYamada

Yup, I know some folks are disappointed but every game was selected by the (perceived) low risk metric. It's easier to stage an argument for something when it costs less for SEGA to risk it.

About to break 900.

What? These publishers are breaking through previously held beliefs about the platform and our listening more than ever before.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Yeah, Steam has been a very profitable venue for console ports. I'm sure Sega themselves would love to get more of their published games on Steam, but I think the problem might be getting the teams together to make it happen. The team that ported House of the Dead actually went to Sega first with the proposal of porting the game to Steam, and the people at Sega jumped on that rather quickly.

Though, it won't hurt to sign this pettition anyway.

Also, on ports, Treasure posted a message on their blog about 12 hours ago saying that Famitsu will be doing an aticle on their Steam port of Ikaruga, and the game will be released "soon". Soon is still rather vauge, but it's nice to see an update on this games release.

Yup, I know some folks are disappointed but every game was selected by the (perceived) low risk metric. It's easier to stage an argument for something when it costs less for SEGA to risk it.

About to break 900.

and that is the keyword to SEGA right now (especially in the West for any title that isn't a focused brand)

Momentary

Banned
Yeah, Steam has been a very profitable venue for console ports. I'm sure Sega themselves would love to get more of their published games on Steam, but I think the problem might be getting the teams together to make it happen. The team that ported House of the Dead actually went to Sega first with the proposal of porting the game to Steam, and the people at Sega jumped on that rather quickly.

Also, on ports, Treasure posted a message on their blog about 12 hours ago saying that Famitsu will be doing an aticle on their Steam port of Ikaruga, and the game will be released "soon". Soon is still rather vauge, but it's nice to see an update on this games release.

I already traveled to the future and purchased the game.

Grief.exe

Interesting info and thanks for the post on Treasure, I will quote you over at the Steam thread where people will be very interested.

The word, 'soon,' isn't very popular over there as I think Kojima used the same word for Metal Gear Rising port back in August.

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

Posted on January 6, 2012

Change to January 7 happens here: http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC/signatures?page=139

139 x 100 = ~14,000 people signed it in less than 24h.

Dark Souls is my personal Game of the Generation, so not surprising that it is so popular.

The games on this petition are all quite good, but not as pervasive in terms of their raw popularity.

Draikin 2

Right now targeting the low hanging fruit and having that succeed might convince SEGA to make the effort/risk porting titltes such as VC/Yakuza.
I understand that. And obviously it's Sega who makes the decisions anyway, and they're in a much better position to know what is or isn't possible. I'm just disappointed by the sudden alteration of what seemed to be a list of three games that the majority agreed upon. And it seems others agree, but they don't want make a fuss about it because it would ruin the chances of the petition. Something I understand, especially after the time I spent posting on Sega's own forum to get their community to participate in the petition. While TaroYamada could easily alter the petition to include VC back in to the main list (and simply have 4 titles), something tells me that's unlikely to happen, despite how much the support the game got in the Twitter campaign and the original thread. And I don't want to end up in a position where I'm accused of trying to ruin the fan effort.

I guess now that the petition turned out the way it did, the best thing Valkyria Chronicles fans can do now is sign the petition and ask for the game specifically in the comments. Hopefully, they're still motivated to do so, despite the game being removed from Grief's original three choices.

TaroYamada

I believe/hope as more people read it, more people will sign it! Maybe someone can target PG, Bayonetta, Steam etc communities.

Let's hope so, if it hits one of the major gaming outlets I imagine the some of the rest might follow.

Shoryuken.com might be a good place to post this petetion.

The MGR forum on Steam. Popular Sega forums on Steam.

Somebody did post in the MGR forum on Steam and when I posted it as my status I actually tagged MGR so it'd show up in the game's hub.

I don't know, can we maybe get some popular YT guys behind this? Like TB? He's a massive Platinum fan.

edit: wait, doesn't he have some boycott against Sega? :<

Grief.exe

I don't know, can we maybe get some popular YT guys behind this? Like TB? He's a massive Platinum fan.

edit: wait, doesn't he have some boycott against Sega? :<

I was actually going to message him when I saw some activity on his feed, but it might be better off if we didn't.

TaroYamada

Then who are some other YT guys that could get behind this? I'm really not familiar with that scene.

Mark from CGR, maybe? He's a big SEGA guy, likes PC gaming. I don't think he has a history of promoting things like this though. Some NeoGAF members have volunteered their youtube channels as well for promotion.

About to break 1000, keep it up!

I understand that. And obviously it's Sega who makes the decisions anyway, and they're in a much better position to know what is or isn't possible. I'm just disappointed by the sudden alteration of what seemed to be a list of three games that the majority agreed upon. And it seems others agree, but they don't want make a fuss about it because it would ruin the chances of the petition. Something I understand, especially after the time I spent posting on Sega's own forum to get their community to participate in the petition. While TaroYamada could easily alter the petition to include VC back in to the main list (and simply have 4 titles), something tells me that's unlikely to happen, despite how much the support the game got in the Twitter campaign and the original thread. And I don't want to end up in a position where I'm accused of trying to ruin the fan effort.

I guess now that the petition turned out the way it did, the best thing Valkyria Chronicles fans can do now is sign the petition and ask for the game specifically in the comments. Hopefully, they're still motivated to do so, despite the game being removed from Grief's original three choices.

I understand the frustration as a fan of the VC series (even as I hope/bug Atlus/Sony to localize VC3), though I think encouraging other fan members including GLF to keep mentioning VC would be a great idea so at the very it won't feel as forgotten.

Draikin 2

I understand the frustration as a fan of the VC series (even as I hope/bug Atlus/Sony to localize VC3), though I think encouraging other fan members including GLF to keep mentioning VC would be a great idea so at the very it won't feel as forgotten.
I'm looking into trying to mobilize Valkyria Chronicles fans, I'll try contacting GLF asap. Getting VC fans to support the campaign will be more difficult now, but not supporting the petition won't exactly help either.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
With the primary games being highlighted being ones that were chosen for ease of ports I find it strange that they don't request the Yakuza games considering they share the same engine as Binary Domain.

Ushiwaka

Some media attention would be great. Oh, and we should post the petition on popular boards like IGN, Gamespot or GameFAQs.

Elija2

With the primary games being highlighted being ones that were chosen for ease of ports I find it strange that they don't request the Yakuza games considering they share the same engine as Binary Domain.

I'd buy Yakuza 4 on Steam so hard.

Asking for Yakuza 5 might be too much.

TaroYamada

Some media attention would be great. Oh, and we should post the petition on popular boards like IGN, Gamespot or GameFAQs.

Just put it on VFDC, I'll probably hit shoryuken shortly. Though it's been so long since I last went there I'll probably need to make a new account.

Oh and we broke 1000.

ArjanN

Noticed Nilansan posted this on his Steam status:

"Please show your support.
Increase the number of releases for the PC (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Virtua Fighter 5, etc.)

https://www.change.org/petitions/sega-increase-the-number-of-releases-for-the-pc-bayonetta-vanquish-virtua-fighter-5-etc"

so I did the same.
Something to try that might get a couple of your Steam friends to sign.

I was actually going to message him when I saw some activity on his feed, but it might be better off if we didn't.

Couldn't hurt to try, I'm actually pretty sure his video helped push a decent percentage of the Dark Souls petition votes, as his videos get hundreds of thousands of views.
Not sure if his Sega boycott thing is still going on.

Well then we're quite aways behind. Thanks for the update angular.

The Dark Souls petition was kind of an anomaly though, It's actually pretty rare for gaming petitions to get any traction at all, so this one is actually doing better than most.

TaroYamada

Couldn't hurt to try, I'm actually pretty sure his video helped push a decent percentage of the Dark Souls petition votes, as his videos get hundreds of thousands of views.

I think Grief means that tb taking a shit on our effort because he's a bit bitter (rightfully so) about the shining force debacle may harm us more than help us. Though even if he does shit on the effort it could still garner us more attention.

Grief.exe

Got a thread up on r/Games, changed the wording so I wouldn't get instantly shut down due to their no petitions rule.

Come by, check it out, and join in on the discussion.

ArjanN

I think Grief means that tb taking a shit on our effort because he's a bit bitter (rightfully so) about the shining force debacle may harm us more than help us. Though even if he does shit on the effort it could still garner us more attention.

Oh right. I think the real difficulty would be more in getting his attention as I'm sure the bigger YT guys get bombarded with requests 24/7.

Draikin 2

I'm not sure if TotalBiscuit is even all that supportive of petitions in general. I remember him arguing the Twitter campaigns against DRM on Xbox One and PS4 were pointless, and that it wasn't the fans but Sony that forced Microsoft to change their DRM. So I'm not sure what his reaction to this campaign would be, even if it wasn't for his boycott.

you could have also mentioned that SEGA had the Bayonetta animated film released in Japan (granted made by Gonzo, but that's another thing).

From the trailers it seemed like that anime COMPLETELY missed the point of Bayonetta. I hope I'm wrong, but right now I'm not even bothering to try to watch it.

EDIT: At any rate, Bayonetta and Vanquish, as well as Demon's Souls are the only games I miss from my 360/PS3 combo. I'd love to have those two on either Wii U or PC, so consider this signed!

I would love to see some of the unemulated unported Sega games from the Xbox/GC/PS2 era make its way to PC. Especially ToeJam and Earl and GunValkyrie. It's also some craziness how Sega SuperStars Tennis makes it to Mac but skips PC.

Ushiwaka

Just put it on VFDC, I'll probably hit shoryuken shortly. Though it's been so long since I last went there I'll probably need to make a new account.

Oh and we broke 1000.

Nice. I just think posting it on those boards is better because we have a better chance of success if we target popular boards and not just boards which are limited to the fans of these games, like VFDC. I'm sure there are many people on IGN, GameTrailers, GS or FAQs that want VF5 on their PCs but don't visit VFDC.

Now, if any fellow GAFfer would help us spreading the word on those forums too, it would be great.

And congrats for breaking 1000 signatures! :D

Top Bottom