• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

master15

Thought this may be a good place to ask or get some different opinions. I am taking my work-mates out for group dinner/celebration on Friday. We work downtown Vancouver (Thurlow/Melville) and wanted to find a place to take everyone too with a fun/funky atmosphere.

We went to African themed restaurant which was a lot of fun. I have one member of the team which is Vegetarian, so that would have to be a consideration. Any ideas?

master15 said:
Thought this may be a good place to ask or get some different opinions. I am taking my work-mates out for group dinner/celebration on Friday. We work downtown Vancouver (Thurlow/Melville) and wanted to find a place to take everyone too with a fun/funky atmosphere.

We went to African themed restaurant which was a lot of fun. I have one member of the team which is Vegetarian, so that would have to be a consideration. Any ideas?

I hear Samba is good...but not for a vegetarian. Kobe, but probably not for a vegetarian.

If you like Sangria and Spanish food I'd hit La Bodega downtown. Tapas and good vegetarian options in there so probably a good call.

Big-E

One more month in China and I back home for two months. Can't fucking wait to see some of the changes and to bask in the glory that is the Vancouver summer.

beat

Big-E said:
One more month in China and I back home for two months. Can't fucking wait to see some of the changes and to bask in the glory that is the Vancouver summer.
Summer might be cancelled this year. I read a long-term forecast that said this summer in the Pacific NW could be fairly cool. Certainly this has been a miserably cold May with a couple of exceptions.

master15

Warm Machine said:
I hear Samba is good...but not for a vegetarian. Kobe, but probably not for a vegetarian.

If you like Sangria and Spanish food I'd hit La Bodega downtown. Tapas and good vegetarian options in there so probably a good call.

We ended up going to salsa and agave in Yaletown, which everyone enjoyed. I definitely will keep La Bodega in mind next time.

master15 said:
We ended up going to salsa and agave in Yaletown, which everyone enjoyed. I definitely will keep La Bodega in mind next time.

Awesome! I was thinking of suggesting it but I wasn't sure if it was funky enough. I love their enchilada with the green spicy sauce! I hit the place about once a week.

BTW, anyone head into Gastown as of late? I took a walk down there in the the daytime for the first time in 6 years or so. I was shocked at how much has changed. Still full of hobos but loads of nice restaurants and coffee shops. The public atrium near/in Woodwards is pretty great.

Big-E

Warm Machine said:
Awesome! I was thinking of suggesting it but I wasn't sure if it was funky enough. I love their enchilada with the green spicy sauce! I hit the place about once a week.

BTW, anyone head into Gastown as of late? I took a walk down there in the the daytime for the first time in 6 years or so. I was shocked at how much has changed. Still full of hobos but loads of nice restaurants and coffee shops. The public atrium near/in Woodwards is pretty great.

Gas town recently has been the place to get a good meal, it kind of took over after yaletown started getting popular. I wonder what the next area is going to get big with food.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gastown is still establishing itself as a gastronomical center - between Salt, McLean's Deli (fronted by VANCOUVER HERO CAPTAIN KIRK MCLEAN), Chill Winston, Meat & Bread and Alibi Room, there's a great base there to choose from.

Irish Heather moved to new digs which I'm not so chuffed about. I preferred the old, cramped place with the seat and tables in the back looking out towards the alley. Watching human misery while drinking beer is a unique experience.

Chambar is more of an outskirts-of-Gastown place, but oh my goodness is the food amazing (and bloody expensive). I saw my first and only Black Amex at Chambar - I will cherish that memory forever.

Main Street between 7th and 33rd is seeing a lot more restaurant activity. You have already established place like East is East (best Afghan food on the planet outside of Afghanistan), Crave, the rebuilt Lickety Split, Splitz Grill for burgers. Even the also rans like Burgoo are pretty good.

The world's greatest noodle place is also tucked away on Main Street - Legendary Noodle. Go there before you die.

Big-E said:
Gas town recently has been the place to get a good meal, it kind of took over after yaletown started getting popular. I wonder what the next area is going to get big with food.

Speaking of food, Hawksworth, the new restaurant in the Georgia Hotel has been getting raves from people I know.

There is a good deal of restaurant action starting around the new Convention Center.

bishoptl said:
Irish Heather moved to new digs which I'm not so chuffed about. I preferred the old, cramped place with the seat and tables in the back looking out towards the alley.

Yeah I'm pretty dissapointed about that and also what happened to Gaoler's Mews. Nice and modern but the place was already pretty with all the exposed brick.

Chambar is pretty great. I think it still has the best Belgian Beer selection in the city to my knowledge.

Lowermainlander here

Best Korean in the town is Gang Mo Jib (spelling is not necessarily correct)

It's right down on robson by stanley park, right across from the safeway. Small little hole in the wall with a grimy yellow sign on top of the building. Pretty easy to spot. The food is fucking amazing, best chicken wings ive ever had by far. go there and embrace ambrosia

AlexMogil

Maybe if I trained myself to hate Vancouver I would be more inclined not to tear up at the mere mention of it's splendor.

Nope, can't do it.

I am so jealous of people fortunate enough to live there.

soultron

Banned
I'm coming to Vancouver on the 27th and leaving early on the 1st. I really wish I could spend Canada day in Van City, but on the same hand, I'd really miss my friends back in Ontario.

I don't know when I'll be getting free time (and I can't get blasted my first night) but what do you guys absolutely recommend on a whirlwind tour through Vancouver? I'll be in the Burnaby area, I think.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
bishoptl said:
Main Street between 7th and 33rd is seeing a lot more restaurant activity. You have already established place like East is East (best Afghan food on the planet outside of Afghanistan), Crave, the rebuilt Lickety Split, Splitz Grill for burgers. Even the also rans like Burgoo are pretty good.

The world's greatest noodle place is also tucked away on Main Street - Legendary Noodle. Go there before you die.

I'm moving in with my fiancee who lives around there in a few weeks, and the food selection is just ridiculous. We also love Legendary Noodle, even though the place looks sticky all over, and East is East (free chai samples rock). Other recommendations around that area:

-Cambie Vietnamese for deep fried roll dip goodness.
-Sun Sui Wah for Sunday dimsum.
-Cottage Bistro for monthly "Say WHA?!" events
-Habit down a bit further on Main for crazy good carrot and brie perogies
-Honolulu Cafe for dirt cheap HK cafe fare.
-Nyala for raw beef.

Firestorm

soultron said:
I'm coming to Vancouver on the 27th and leaving early on the 1st. I really wish I could spend Canada day in Van City, but on the same hand, I'd really miss my friends back in Ontario.

I don't know when I'll be getting free time (and I can't get blasted my first night) but what do you guys absolutely recommend on a whirlwind tour through Vancouver? I'll be in the Burnaby area, I think.
You'll be leaving as I get into Vancouver again =P Canada Day isn't that special here actually. You won't be missing much. Especially seeing as there's an outdoors Hip concert in Toronto on Canada Day :( They're playing in Toronto when I'm in Vancouver and then in Vancouver when I'm in Ontario >_<

Although not the most scenic hike, going up Grouse Grind could be cool if you're somewhat fit. Mostly because the view from up top is pretty nice and there aren't really any mountains in Ontario. You can also make us of our public transportation! Skytrain from Burnaby to Waterfront, transfer to Seabus from Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay, transfer to bus from Lonsdale Quay to Grouse Mountain. Take $10 or so with you to take the gondola down since you aren't gonna wanna come back on foot... I find eating by the ocean afterwards feels awesome.

Biking along the Stanley Park seawall is also a good bet to take in Vancouver's scenery.

Granville Island is a nice spot as well.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
One of the places i plan on going to in the next few years

also wanna check out nova scotia

Archer

AlexMogil said:
Maybe if I trained myself to hate Vancouver I would be more inclined not to tear up at the mere mention of it's splendor.

Nope, can't do it.

I am so jealous of people fortunate enough to live there.

its not that great. it can be a fun city, but certainly has plenty of downsides.

- a surprisingly high population of douches
- bad drivers from overseas who buy big money cars and cant drive them properly
- crazy expensive prices
- slower traffic than washington dc due to the lack of interstate infrastructure
- many, many, many hot golddigger womenfolk
- no jobs, unless you can make your own business

Akim

Banned
Firestorm said:
Or use http://airbnb.com

Just discovered it recently.

that costs money

Anyway, I'm going to be in Vancouver on the 30th - 3rd. I'm going to go catch Three 6 Mafia at Fortune Sound Club (no idea what that is) on the 30th. Then on the 4th, I'm catching a bus to Edmonton to see Tegan and Sara.

Tiktaalik

Akim said:
that costs money

Anyway, I'm going to be in Vancouver on the 30th - 3rd. I'm going to go catch Three 6 Mafia at Fortune Sound Club (no idea what that is) on the 30th. Then on the 4th, I'm catching a bus to Edmonton to see Tegan and Sara.

The advantage of AirBnB is that there's a reputation system in place, so there's less of a chance that you'll be stabbed and dumped in a river. Also there's an iPhone app!

Fortune Sound Club is in Chinatown on Pender, just west of Main.

Nikashi

Banned
Roto13 said:

Only she had been smoking heroin for TWO YEARS already, she just BOUGHT HEROIN and made a decision to inject it, and went to Insite because it's a clean safe place to inject, AND she lied and told them she was already an IV user. How the FUCK can you blame Insite when she was already an addict AND they tried to get her into rehab (She refused, as the article said).

I am almost willing to bet she got paid off for her story by a right wing group of some type, considering they didn't even 'start' her on Heroin, she was already a longtime user.

beat

Archer said:
- slower traffic than washington dc due to the lack of interstate infrastructure
This is actually a downside and upside of Vancouver. The lack of highways means that people drive less and take transit more and there aren't highways cutting through neighborhoods. A NA style highway system would have gone right through Chinatown, for example.

Today is amazing in the city. Holy at the beach eye candy today at sunset, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd beaches. Now big party downtown for the Canucks win! Tomorrow is going to be 22 degrees so the beaches are going to be nuts!

Firestorm

3rd Beach is my favourite <3 Just secluded enough that you can have fires and stuff at night without being bothered :) Also a great view of the mountains. So peaceful.

Tabris

Vancouver is so beautiful this weekend. These are pictures just from my balcony which isn't anything special taken with a shitty iphone camera:

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

Good news everyone in Vancouver!

Just saw this poster that reads...

I Dare You!!!

To Join Myself and 300 Other Like
Minded People for the 7th Annual:

World Naked Bike Ride
When: Saturday June 18th
The Ride Starts at 2pm
Body Painting at 1pm

Where: Sunset Beach-at the corner of Beach and Bute

Bare as you Dare!!!

I saw this happening 2 years ago. Yes it is a naked bike ride. Yes people show up naked and ride their bikes.

Roto13

Yeah, I've seen those guys hanging around naked and getting ready. Naked cyclists get kind of old after a while.

Roto13 said:
Yeah, I've seen those guys hanging around naked and getting ready. Naked cyclists get kind of old after a while.

Its less about the naked bikers and more the shocked reactions from the people around them.

bishoptl said:
re: Meat & Bread and Alibi Room

Both of these places are way too cool for me. I went to the alibi room with my girlfriend and fuck that place is god damned loud. I really wasnt that impressed with the ambiance but the food is pretty good. If you like noise, the alibi room is the place for you.

Meat and bread is not as cool but much more ammenable to dropping in and getting a rad sammich.

BIG DAY TODAY
God i hope we win

Akim

Banned
wowww....the three 6 mafia show I was planning on going to got canceled...basically the whole reason I was going to Vancouver. I am fucking pissed.

Socreges

Banned
Roto13 said:
I will miss Vancouver in the summer. It's nice when it's not raining, which is about two months out of the year.
Roto13 said:
Most livable my ass.
Roto13 said:
Whoever wins, I will be celebrating that someone lost.
Roto13 said:
I don't know how so many dickless hipsters and so many drunken savages can coexist in the same city.
Roto13 said:
I live in Toronto.
no come back

Socreges

Banned
i wont until you come back to us roto. we miss ur smile

i heard the riots started after someone yelled, wait where's roto!

Top Bottom