• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to buy a router.

Haines

Banned
Help? My knowledge goes as far as knowing that that a router just let's you connect wireless and with wires.

My Rogers modem is a complete POS and I've learned I need to put it into bridge mode and hook a router up to it.

This will solve insanely strict NAT types.

I want to just order one online (Canadian Amazon?). My only stipulation is I want to be able to run 3 wires from it through walls someday and I like my internet fast lol

hobozero

TP LInk Archer C7 is consistently rated high, and Wirecutter.com has it as their best home router. I really like mine. has 4 wired ethernet ports, and 2 USB. You can even connect a USB drive an it will automatically appear as a DLNA meda server for stuff like a PS4.

The Source has them on sale very frequently, as does amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/

xfactor99

I am not a networking expert but I was in the market for a new router a few weeks ago when my current router kept on crapping out. I saw the Archer C7 rec too, but with the caveat that the Wirecutter was recommending a new one but hadn't had the chance to rewrite their review yet. Reading through the comments, most people suggesting getting the Archer C9 (that's the AC1900 on Amazon). I got that and it's had excellent range and hasn't dropped out once so far.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Haines

Banned
I grabbed the archer 7.

So now using this router, is there any sense in updating the modem that i have been using from rogers forevor now? Or ar those essentially a one and done deal?

I didnt know if they updated technology wise and need replaced to get the most out of your interent, or if thats essentially what this router takes care of

Quick question for you TP-Link owners -- is there a way to admin the router without using a cloud service? For instance on my Asus router I can just punch in its IP address directly without logging in to a third party service at all.

Top Bottom