• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Spoiler Thread | There's SPOILERS Within, Too!

Well we still have Joseph and Ruvik to address, unless I missed something. Joseph is still alive, Kidman said it's a long story when Sebastian asked about it.

Really they Finally confirmed he is alive ? Thats good , I just browsed videos here and there and saw the Ending so I miss some parts of the game

Thanks , Based on the video , I guess he isn't alive in an usual way outside Stem , May be he is still unconscious inside one of those Stem pods or only his brain is still alive , Kidman's tone is like " He is alive .... but "

So that's the only mention of him in game? Really lame if true.

CryptiK

I missed the letter by Sykes after he leaves via the pod anyone know what it said? Was the only fucking one I missed.

Also that Theodore fight was fuckin A+. The chainsaw bit was so fucking awesome.

dlauv

Man, so what was up with Boss Mobius' recycled hand gesture over and over like some mmo NPC in the climax of the game?

Did anyone else like the part where Seb conquers his guilt by way of being talked out of it only to wake up and find something new to be guilty about and talked out of it? It helped that I just finished the Joseph reveal.

Sykes leaves a note on his desk that's just like "Hope to see you later bro, and thank you." A little more personal than that.

FiveSide

Banned
Did anyone else like the part where Seb conquers his guilt by way of being talked out of it only to wake up and find something new to be guilty about and talked out of it? It helped that I just finished the Joseph reveal.

I liked this part because it shows that conquering his guilt is a constant battle, rather than a one-and-done, "I forgave myself and now I'm scot-free forever!" kind of thing. He conquers the guilt and then immediately gets sucked back into feeling guilty about something else, but realizes it's happening and stops himself. It's an ongoing effort to stay vigilant against those negative thoughts, not a victory lap.

Great writing on that part, reminded me a bit of Hellblade earlier this year too. There were a couple sections that reminded me of Hellblade, in a good way.

Man, that last Limbo area was beautiful. Probably my favorite area in the game, despite it being more dream-like and surreal than horror.

CryptiK

Man, so what was up with Boss Mobius' recycled hand gesture over and over like some mmo NPC in the climax of the game?

Sykes leaves a note on his desk that's just like "Hope to see you later bro, and thank you." A little more personal than that.

This happens multiple times
-Seb kills old self stuck at beacon releases guilt.
-Seb releases guilt from Joseph thinking hes dead
-Seb releases guilt from Myra telling him its not his fault.

Wakes up feels guilty immediately I fucking lol'd

dlauv

I remember the revolver scene, but I couldn't remember if that was guilt or just trauma.

I liked this part because it shows that conquering his guilt is a constant battle, rather than a one-and-done, "I forgave myself and now I'm scot-free forever!" kind of thing. He conquers the guilt and then immediately gets sucked back into feeling guilty about something else, but realizes it's happening and stops himself. It's an ongoing effort to stay vigilant against those negative thoughts, not a victory lap.

Great writing on that part, reminded me a bit of Hellblade earlier this year too. There were a couple sections that reminded me of Hellblade, in a good way.

Man, that last Limbo area was beautiful. Probably my favorite area in the game, despite it being more dream-like and surreal than horror.

It was kind of awkward because the Myra scene was obviously the emotional climax of the guilt arc, but that's a refreshing perspective you have. I'm just too critical of awkward Japanese stuff maybe.

And Limbo was sensational. They really shot for the moon. Some of the cutscene direction really went for it. Level artists too.

So what the hell was that teaser at the end?

We know that Myra is the new core -- or dead? Also, the lab seemed way too dusty to be the same lab. We know something is weird about Yuri Lowenthal and that he's alive.

Seemed like vague sequel bait or another way to leave the player uneasy.

FiveSide

Banned
So what the hell was that teaser at the end?

I honestly think it means nothing as of right now. But if there's a third game, then they'll figure out what it means.

So basically it's just an incredibly vague "sequel hook" that allows them to move forward if they choose to do so, but also won't be too frustrating if it never goes answered (presumably because they don't make a third game, though I hope they do).

It was kind of awkward because the Myra scene was obviously the emotional climax of the guilt arc, but that's a refreshing perspective you have. I'm just too critical of awkward Japanese stuff maybe.

The only major part that I felt really got into "awkward Japanese stuff" was the Stefano arc. I just cannot stand that villain archetype, the psychopathic "arteest" madman thing. It just ends up feeling too hammy and contrived.

Stefano reminded me of a certain villain from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, which is not a good thing. At all.

tesqui

It caught be off guard that they used the reveal trailer music for the credits. I've seen that video so many times that it brought back memories of E3 hype. I'd say it met my expectations for the most part.

Neiteio

Not done with the game yet (only six chapters in), but does that giant statue from the beginning of the game (the one with the many arms) ever come back, and do you fight it?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Just finished. Game ended very strong - everything from chapter 13 onward was ace. Not really sure how to feel about the story, though. Centering it around Seb and his family worked well enough, but, uh, guys...

RUVIK IS ROAMING FREE IN LESLIE'S BODY WITH POSSIBLE WIRELESS STEM ABILITIES AND YOU AIN'T EVEN GONNA TOUCH THAT?

Like, that's a totally insane sequel hook to drop. During the last scene after Kidman touches her scar I was expecting Leslie/Ruvik to be watching her from the shadows or something as a cliffhanger. Or appear in Seb's backseat for a brief moment. I mean, something. Just really baffled they seemed to forget that angle. The final final cliffhanger could be that, or it could be something else. I don't know why it's so cagey. The seeds have already been planted.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

tesqui

Started a new playthrough on Nightmare with the Black Bars. I might be crazy, but I feel like those things add a ton of atmosphere that I thought was lost on my first playthrough. I now understand why Mikami liked them so much.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So is what happened to Ruvik the only really big story hook left open in regards to a new game ? That and what happened to Joseph in the first game are the big things I can think of. Of course they leave it open as Mobius are 'everywhere' etc but I thought it generally ended very nicely.

Dmax3901

Finished it tonight, couldn't believe how much I liked the side characters and how none of them went to waste, for the ones that died their deaths felt meaningful and while Sykes wasn't much of a character, him leaving like that and it being up in the air what happened to him is super cool.

I too noticed the weird animation from the Mobius Gman guy.

I fucking loved Kidman in this game. Her new look, animations, voice... all great.

I also loved the Beacon greatest hits boss fight, but I didn't much like the rehash of the theatre neighbourhood of Union, Theodores stronghold, nor the "kill all enemies to proceed" section where you're following Myra. It kinda felt like they ran out of ideas/time and just needed to pad out the last few chapters so that the ending didn't come out of nowhere.

Otherwise a great game, kinda hard to believe how much better the writing, voice acting and narrative cohesion was overall. Will start my review soon.

EDIT: Only thing I'm not clear on: Who/what was the ghost lady that 'la la'd' her way through walls etc? Just a ghost? I feel like she's the only special being with no connection to anything else in this version of STEM.

Overall really enjoyed the game. Didn't really care for the artist villain and chasing after him for so long, but rest was pretty solid.

I loved how explorable the world was (but not too big) and how you could go out of your way to get a lot of optional items, story, and etc. The few sidequests were pretty effective.
I had a lot of fun with the gameplay but felt like being stealthy was such a chore sometimes as I wanted to kill every enemy. Didn't know the drops for green gels and weapons parts would be hugely improved in the second playthrough, lol. Towards the end of the game, when you met Theodore, I was constantly running out of ammo. Had to keep picking up extra ammo during the boss fights.

I enjoyed the story but thought it was pretty depressing. So much death. Pretty much everyone in STEM aside from Sebastian was fucked. Kinda bummed me out, especially the last three.

Thought the administrator for MOBIUS was super cringe and cheese, but maybe that was intentional. INSUBORDINATION! Your death is going to be LEGENDARY, Kid!" "No, I'm going to be LEGENDARY!" Yikes, lol

I write this with a Big depression but Sadly after the likely bad performance of the game sales wise and the reduced chances of getting a sequel due to the really bad sales compared to the original , Do you think they will wrap up the story and instead of making a Sequel with Ruvik as the main villain then they will make one big DLC using this game's engine to finish Ruvik's Story ?

I hope from my heart that there is a sequel but from the look of it the chances are too low , and as the story wasn't totally finished with Ruvik still on the loose then it will look awkward to finish the series like that

Finished the game and I gotta say, jesus christ was it awesome. Anima encounters were the most tense shit I have ever experienced in a game. Especially once she started to call Seb by his name. It was also very cool to give sadist a taste of his own medicine. Very much liked the call backs to the first one.

Only thing I didnt really care for was the ending. Like "your punishment is going to be.. legendary!" .. ... legendary..? Also the idea that mobius is this huge corporation which controls everything but cant kill a single agent? You shoot like 9 guards and get to walk away like nothing really happened. It felt kinda rushed. Also does anyone have any speculation who killed the guards which tried to enter the stem room?

Also are there any winks which tell us if the engineer which you help to teleport out survived?

Wezzulus

Neo Member
Sändersson;252333047 said:
Finished the game and I gotta say, jesus christ was it awesome. Anima encounters were the most tense shit I have ever experienced in a game. Especially once she started to call Seb by his name. It was also very cool to give sadist a taste of his own medicine. Very much liked the call backs to the first one.

Only thing I didnt really care for was the ending. Like "your punishment is going to be.. legendary!" .. ... legendary..? Also the idea that mobius is this huge corporation which controls everything but cant kill a single agent? You shoot like 9 guards and get to walk away like nothing really happened. It felt kinda rushed. Also does anyone have any speculation who killed the guards which tried to enter the stem room?

Also are there any winks which tell us if the engineer which you help to teleport out survived?

The one that killed them was Myra from within the system. While Union fell apart, she sent a signal to the chips inside the Mobius members heads and killed them. No speculation, it's stated in the game.

The one that killed them was Myra from within the system. While Union fell apart, she sent a signal to the chips inside the Mobius members heads and killed them. No speculation, it's stated in the game.

Silly me, some how I managed to forget the chips. Well, you can scratch that criticism then.

I really hope we got a third one.

Arklite

EDIT: Only thing I'm not clear on: Who/what was the ghost lady that 'la la'd' her way through walls etc? Just a ghost? I feel like she's the only special being with no connection to anything else in this version of STEM.

Her purpose is vague which is odd considering how wordy and blunt TEW2 tends to be. Later I started to think she was specifically a twisted manifestation of Sebastian's guilt but then I remembered that the towns people talked of hearing noises or feeling a presence around them before losing themselves. She managed to grab me once and it shows her sucking out Seb's soul(?) and turning his body decrepit like the enemies, so maybe she's the inner mental trauma that causes the transformation noted by Mobius. However, the end of the game notes that Theodore and Myra's fight over Lily is what begins the collapse and Stefano runs wild, but each boss has their own specific motif, none of which this ghost seems to adhere to. In other words, even thought these marquee characters are named as the cause of collapse, it's this ghost that seems to be corrupting people autonomously. Who or what she is remains unclear to me.

I also can't remember if Mobius noted these Union mutations before or after the collapse. If it was before then she's an unexplained horror in Stem.

Caim

Is there any explanation for Stefano's powers?

Just wondering, and man I really hope we get a third game.

Arklite

Is there any explanation for Stefano's powers?

Just wondering, and man I really hope we get a third game.

Stem can augment people's thoughts and fears. It seems that strong personalities, and perhaps especially those that are aware of Stem (or at least that they're not in the real world) have those traits substantially magnified. Theodore's cultist dream, Myra's maternal instinct, and Stefano's sadistic ambitions all manifested in monstrous form, while most everyone else merely succumbed to overwhelming fear. How Stefano knew so much of Stem though, I'm not sure.

joe2187

Banned
Stem can augment people's thoughts and fears. It seems that strong personalities, and perhaps especially those that are aware of Stem (or at least that they're not in the real world) have those traits substantially magnified. Theodore's cultist dream, Myra's maternal instinct, and Stefano's sadistic ambitions all manifested in monstrous form, while most everyone else merely succumbed to overwhelming fear. How Stefano knew so much of Stem though, I'm not sure.

Theodore recruited Stefano to acquire Lily after he betrayed Myra. But rebelled after discovering what she could do.

So i just finished the game and I absolutely hated the entire ending, too long, too drawn out and was giant mess of plot of inner game stupidity.

What is the benefit of EVERYONE in you organization to be connected to STEM when it offers nothing to people in the real world besides communicating (Maybe?) with people in STEM. Why would the BOSS of the organization put a chip in his own head....Why would you leave yourself vulnerable like that?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Am I a weirdo for thinking this was my favorite moment of the entire game?
Efev9ab.jpg

Neiteio

Some screens I took of Kidman during her mutiny scene

I'm still amazed by how someone perfected Jill Valentine's look but it's not in a RE game

And of course it was in a game produced by Mikami!

theevilwithin2_2017107cx6s.png

theevilwithin2_201710b8zv3.png

theevilwithin2_2017109dyjv.png

theevilwithin2_201710wcl0k.png

theevilwithin2_2017100kjhz.png

theevilwithin2_2017100xlxj.png

theevilwithin2_2017106dkdf.png

theevilwithin2_201710rujju.png

theevilwithin2_2017101njf7.png

theevilwithin2_2017104rk9p.png

theevilwithin2_201710zekw0.png

theevilwithin2_201710ykj86.png

Kazuhira

Hoping that the next game is with Joseph,dude doesn't even know what STEM is.
Also,i wish they added like an extra minute or two to the ending showing Seb cheking up on his dead mobius partners in the tubs and saying something like 'thank you'.
The guy just left the corpses of everyone,including his wife,in the machine...well,he did the same with Joseph in the first game too.

Derpot

(To continue the discussion from the OT)

So this is just my interpretation, but (game ending spoilers)
Myra's visual design gives a very obvious clue since she's literally blinded in her human/Ruvik esque form. There are two big ambiguous 'forces' in the game, the first being Laura and the two monsters that take her form in TEW2 (though been some discussion on that). The bigger thematic is the white goo, which is kind of the 'main theme' of TEW2 but it's never directly explained what it is. It looks like the Goo that people submerge themselves in when they enter STEM, so it might represent something about STEM itself. The Lost ooze the liquid, some of them even are so turned over to it that they instead of blood on headshots have white ooze come out. The Lost in the last chapter have a hollow facial look that Myra's final boss form also has, and of course earlier in the game in Chapter 6 we see a literal goo monster. Inexplicably the white goo also has some sort of spider motif, the white goo monster from Chapter 6 when it goes into offensive mode gets spider features, and so does Myra for the final boss, and even lays spider sacs with spider monsters. Sebastian mentions that Myra has been losing herself like the Lost have, but it's obviously in a very different way than them. And then while Ruvik comparisons can be made with Stefano, they in some ways are even deeper within Myra as she literally gets Ruvik's white cloak thing and has the exact same disorientation visual effect Ruvik had in certain scenes in the original TEW1.

I'm certain the white cloak means SOMETHING within STEM, it's never explained what it is in either TEW1 or TEW2. It's easy in TEW1 to just pass it off as part of Ruvik's character design, but then he never had a white cloak before STEM so where did it come from? I never really put it into question until TEW2 though as Myra gets the exact same white cloak and effects, so it implies to me the white cloak has more importance than I think many give it credit for. I'm not really sure what it means though.

I think whatever is happening to Myra is involved with the White Goo and the cloak, however.

Yeah as you said, it does look like that weird white liquid in STEM bathtubs. It wasn't there in the first TEW though, I guess TEW2 STEM is another version or something like that.
But I really wonder how Myra got control on it. Since the white liquid is linked to STEM, and Lily is STEM's Core, maybe because of her powerful bond with Lily who is the Core that makes STEM work? Heh, dunno.

Kazuhira

I think those powers come from just having Lily,i remember there was a dialogue about Seb mentioning that Stefano's control were similar to Ruvik and i think yukiko or O'neil said that it was because he has Lily.
Theodore is the only one who never managed to control the core and still looks like he can do whatever he wants in Union somehow,kinda scary what he could've done with Lily.

Derpot

I think those powers come from just having Lily,i remember there was a dialogue about Seb mentioning that Stefano's control were similar to Ruvik and i think yukiko or O'neil said that it was because he has Lily.
Theodore is the only one who never managed to control the core and still looks like he can do whatever he wants in Union somehow,kinda scary what he could've done with Lily.

I think it was Yukiko who said that Stefano used Lily to amplify his powers (surely by scaring her, the poor girl). And yeah, Theodore's powers are terrifying, but too bad there wasn't a Ruvik fight in his little "TEW1 boss rush", missed opportunity I think.
As for Myra, she already had her power before she got Lily back after Stefano's boss fight, so maybe she got her powers just after Theodore's treason because she wanted to protect Lily at all costs.

Dusk Golem

Derpot

That's a nice post and summary about the villains' power!

And the theory about STEM is interesting. At first, I thought that the reason why the world turned white was mainly because of Myra not being able to control herself. But I like the idea that STEM's world is made of this "white goop" (and that kinda corresponds to TEW2's first trailer).

Dusk Golem

Kazuhira

I still feel they're not fully exploring the full potential of the franchise in terms of horror,the stem pretty much gives a free pass to come up with the craziests mindfucks in level design,monsters,puzzles etc.
Literally nothing has to make sense in that world,maybe i'm a bit fucked up but i can come up with a lot of surreal stuff from the top of my head.

Derpot

Also I can't get over the spider motif, if only because I have no idea why it's there strictly. Unless like, the white goop of STEM is made out of spider guts or something.

What if the white goop corresponded to spiders' silk that they use to make their web, and in that case, the web is STEM's world.

sorry if it sounds stupid lmao

Neiteio

This is easily one of my favorite "journeys" in videogames. Loved the story, the characters, the writing, the acting, the pacing, the gameplay, the creature designs, etc. So good.

They really nailed the ending. Great closure for Seb and Lily and Kidman. Wish Myra could've escaped STEM with them, but at least Seb and Myra achieved closure and a sense of peace and Myra's sacrifice paid off.

It felt bittersweet seeing Union dissolve at the end. As horrifying as the place was, I'd grown rather fond of it as a videogame setting. I already feel some measure of nostalgia for it... But in the event of a TEW3, I'll be excited to see what new world they create.

I imagine a TEW3 would show the "wireless STEM" in action, drawing large swathes of the real world into a virtual one, without needing to connect them.

As for a protagonist, I'm not sure who it'd follow. Maybe Kidman could be lead, cleaning up loose ends. I think Joseph will factor into the TEW2 DLC, if there is any.

Seb's story is probably finished. He went from being a blank slate in TEW1 to showing the full spectrum of emotion in TEW2, with a nice character arc full of highs and lows, overcoming his guilt and fears and redeeming himself. He now has Lily back; he will stay with her and protect her. I don't see him going off on another adventure.

But who knows. The sky's the limit with this series and its premise. That's what's so exciting about it. Hopefully this game has legs and does good sales in the long run.

I also suspect there will be a Switch edition, based on Bethesda's recent support for the system (Skyrim, DOOM, Wolfenstein II) and Mikami's comments on the matter. Pretty much everything does gangbusters on the Switch. They could advertise it to the Nintendo core as "from the creator of RE4" (which is true, in a sense; he still produced).

I'm pretty irked by that sequel tease at the end.

Don't get me wrong, I would love an Evil WIthin 3, especially after finishing this game. However, I'm just not confident that they will make another one, especially with the sales so far not being super great for EW2.

Mister Wolf

It would have been nice to know what happened to Joseph even if they said he was dead. What was the point of that last scene with the computer turning on?

Top Bottom