• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Should I wait to finish the game before I play the DLC, or can I play it whenever? Currently, in terms of progression, I just
beat the wolf shade
, if that even has any bearing at all on deciding when to play the DLC.

abasm

Should I wait to finish the game before I play the DLC, or can I play it whenever? Currently, in terms of progression, I just
beat the wolf shade
, if that even has any bearing at all on deciding when to play the DLC.

The DLC is interesting, but not necessary. It's a bunch of challenging monster combinations that you wouldn't necessarily find in the main game, lined up one after another. You can play it whenever, but now is as good of a time as any, because it's broken up in such a way that lets you save the bits you aren't strong enough to complete until later.

Edit: that isn't to say it isn't worth it. The music remixes alone are worth the price of entry.

The girl who took my command yesterday at Mac Donald's looked like Kainéso much I nearly expected her to swear at me.

What do you guys think about that cancelled CAVIA game ? Would have it be a spiritual sequel to Nier ? Guess we'll never know.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Tribes of Trusty said:
What do you guys think about that cancelled CAVIA game ? Would have it be a spiritual sequel to Nier ? Guess we'll never know.

having read all the articles on Siliconera, it seemed like another interesting project from CAVIA. Very clever high-concept, with some major twists in the telling, and a genuinely different take on the FPS approach which may or may not have worked really well.

Based on the screenshots it looks to me like its biggest weakness was going to be that like Nier they were using their own in-house engine and so it looked a bit lacking visually.

Shame really, I'd have given it a shot most likely, especially on the strength of how well Nier turned out.

namDa65

Just finished my first playthrough. Wow.

Sorry for bumping an old official thread but I really love this game. That soundtrack. That
last dungeon
that wasn't really a dungeon and not a pain in the pass like most jrpgs.

Going to go for ending B next weekend.

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough. Wow.

Sorry for bumping an old official thread but I really love this game. That soundtrack. That
last dungeon
that wasn't really a dungeon and not a pain in the pass like most jrpgs.

Going to go for ending B next weekend.

You should try and knock out NG+ before then. If you ignore the sidequests it'll only take a few hours and it's well worth it for the extra story bits. Also, just wait till you play the last dungeon on NG+. Totally different experience.

I just got ending B. Huh.
For what is ostensibly a fairly happy ending, I'm pretty bummed out. I have a feeling the other two are going to just destroy me.

Also, whoever put in the weapon upgrade trophies and gardening trophy is a terrible person.

Edit: More bitching: Why the hell do the timed trophies for beating certain bosses include the cutscenes? Several of them are literally impossible if you don't skip the cutscenes. Boneheaded decision.

I remember thinking about picking this up when it released until I completely forgot about it. Then a few days ago in one of those "Best OST's of the Generation" threads, someone posted a few tracks from the Nier OST and....well, a day later I have the game and have put 5 1/2 hours into it.

I'm enjoying myself so far. Dub seems well done, combat is simple but swift enough to remain fun, Nier is fast and maneuverable which keeps the fetch quests from getting too tedious, graphics are meh but art is nice, and the music is unbelievable. Feels good to find one of those "diamond in the rough" type of games 2 years later.

1stStrike

Banned
I remember thinking about picking this up when it released until I completely forgot about it. Then a few days ago in one of those "Best OST's of the Generation" threads, someone posted a few tracks from the Nier OST and....well, a day later I have the game and have put 5 1/2 hours into it.

I'm enjoying myself so far. Dub seems well done, combat is simple but swift enough to remain fun, Nier is fast and maneuverable which keeps the fetch quests from getting too tedious, graphics are meh but art is nice, and the music is unbelievable. Feels good to find one of those "diamond in the rough" type of games 2 years later.

Welcome to the cool kid club. Nier is really one of those once in a generation games and, unfortunately, it's probably dead and gone forever thanks to the studio being broken up.

Koroviev

I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few days. Can't believe I had overlooked it until now. So good.

cj_iwakura

I'm finally reading the delightful Nier LP, and this is my new favorite thing.

47-caviatroll.jpg

(Yes, I've played the game thrice.)

Man, Hard mode in Nier doesn't mess around. I am starting to realize I have to play the game completely differently than I was in normal. In Normal I could pretty much mash the attack button to win for most fights. Here it seems like every group of shades can flat out murder me if I don't block and maneuver properly. I just beat that first fight with the big ugly shade outside the aerie. I was down to my last herb and the satisfaction I got from beating it was very fulfilling.

Personally I think hard mode is making it into a much better game, as it is forcing me to utilize anything at my disposal to win. The quests and items feel like things of necessity and purpose, which is great. While it normal the rewards were mostly kinda useless as the game was far too easy to need to apply them to anything.

Anyway, if you want to play a whole different Nier then give hard mode a shot. It's shockingly brutal at first though so be weary.

I just finished Ending B and maaaan... can't believe I've waited this long :(

In any case I have a shit ton of unanswered questions, do they get resolved in playtrough C and D (is there a lot of new scenes like in playtrough B)?

In short I wasn't this moved by a game in a looooong, long time. Thank you GAF!

Jarlaxle

Just finished ending B a couple of days ago. I may not always agree with Gaf's tastes but I am soooooo glad I listened on this one. What a phenomenal experience. A truly emotional and thought provoking game. I loved it and would highly reccomend it. That said, I don't think I'll be going back for ending C or D as it doesn't really change the experience the way the second playthrough did other than the ending. I watched the endings on youtube and that's good enough for me. I'm currently looking into getting the OST. This feels like one of those experiences that will stick with you for awhile and one you want to share with others.

Thanks GAF!

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished ending B a couple of days ago. I may not always agree with Gaf's tastes but I am soooooo glad I listened on this one. What a phenomenal experience. A truly emotional and thought provoking game. I loved it and would highly reccomend it. That said, I don't think I'll be going back for ending C or D as it doesn't really change the experience the way the second playthrough did other than the ending. I watched the endings on youtube and that's good enough for me. I'm currently looking into getting the OST. This feels like one of those experiences that will stick with you for awhile and one you want to share with others.

Thanks GAF!

Agreed. That's what's kept this thread alive and the game a cult favorite for long. Nier is one of those games that dares to be different and, unlike the generic JRPG storylines, isn't afraid to punch you in the gut throughout the story.

Tigel

Well after a long time sitting in my backlog, I finally finished the game for the first time (ending A). I was great but I must admit that there's some parts in the story that I don't really get. Though I assume that this problem will resolve itself after multiple playthroughs?

Speaking of which, should I load my game and continue to get ending B or should I start a New Game+ (or it is the same thing?)

1stStrike

Banned
Well after a long time sitting in my backlog, I finally finished the game for the first time (ending A). I was great but I must admit that there's some parts in the story that I don't really get. Though I assume that this problem will resolve itself after multiple playthroughs?

Speaking of which, should I load my game and continue to get ending B or should I start a New Game+ (or it is the same thing?)

New Game+ takes you back to the beginning of the 2nd half of the game with all the same equipment/powers you finished with. The 2nd play through should help clear some things up, as well as expand on the story. There's going to be some things you'll probably want more info on, but that stuff is only really available in the resources online and not in-game.

You should be quite satisfied with New Game+ and ending B, though, if you liked it the first time through.

Tigel

New Game+ takes you back to the beginning of the 2nd half of the game with all the same equipment/powers you finished with. The 2nd play through should help clear some things up, as well as expand on the story. There's going to be some things you'll probably want more info on, but that stuff is only really available in the resources online and not in-game.

You should be quite satisfied with New Game+ and ending B, though, if you liked it the first time through.

Okay, so New Game+ is what happens when I continue the game by loading my save from ending A, got it.
I think I'll start my ending B playthrough soon so I can finally highlight the spoilers in this thread :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A mate of mine owns an NTSC-J 360 system, but does not speak Japanese. Thus in order to play Nier, something he very much desires, he would have to have an Asian specific NTSC-J copy of the game. English voice work and all that.

Unfortunately it is out of print. And Play-Asia have no copies.

Is he shit out of luck?

1stStrike

Banned
A mate of mine owns an NTSC-J 360 system, but does not speak Japanese. Thus in order to play Nier, something he very much desires, he would have to have an Asian specific NTSC-J copy of the game. English voice work and all that.

Unfortunately it is out of print. And Play-Asia have no copies.

Is he shit out of luck?

How about this?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

NTSC-J for Japan unfortunately.

There's two Asian versions, both NTSC-J. The Japanese release naturally has Japanese localisation, audio and text. For the rest of Asia they released what is essentially the English version with NTSC-J compatibility. A lot of pubs do it due to how common English is, and the ease of subtitling with various Asian languages versus having to do a full dub.

He needs the Asian NTSC-J version so he can understand the story. And it's out of print :/.

I picked this up for $15 about a month ago and just finished ending B. Truly a fantastic game, definitely a unappreciated gem. I wonder what Cavia could have done with this world and setting if they had stayed around.

slicknick27

Neo Member
So, bought the game a year ago, forgot about it, then just decided to try it out for the hell of it last week.

Count me as another who didn't have much expectations going into this and by the end (I've only beat it once so far) was kicking myself for almost never playing the game. If anyone is still reading this and just picked up the game on a Black Friday sale or something, do yourself a favor and don't let it collect dust in the case -- give it a shot. I wish we had more games like this this gen. I finished the first playthrough in 17 hours, so it isn't something that will take terribly long or require much (if any) grinding, if you're concerned about a time investment. (I didn't do any optional quests.)

The sentiments expressed in this thread pretty much match how I felt playing it. Great characters and dialogue/delivery, unexpectedly-amazing soundtrack, and a simple premise of father-save-daughter that expands into a more mysterious story, but one that doesn't veer off into some of the typical JRPG nonsense.

The combat system is serviceable, though I feel it can use a little more depth and variety in the latter half of the game. At least the combat and movement on the field is very quick. I honestly couldn't care less about the shoddy graphics after a few hours, because I was thinking about the characters and story when I shut my PS3 off, and that has been hard to come by this gen.

This game is emotionally taxing -- the story is strange, haunting, touching. It sometimes catches me off guard. I think it has a lot to do with how well the developers kept the story character-focused instead of world-focused, if that makes sense. Although I think there are some parts in the latter half that are little too drawn out (i.e. the backtracking), and
Emil
is kind of annoying to listen to at times, the moment-to-moment dialogue and most of the cutscenes are just done so beautifully well. Not to mention the
text-only sections - I don't think these would've worked nearly as well if they weren't so exceptionally written/translated.

I'm looking forward to new game+ and reading through all the external Grimoir Nier information. There hasn't been an RPG in years I've felt so invested in and it feels really great to be able to say that.

Arucardo

Just got this today in the mail. Paid almost nothing so I figured why not, heard a bunch of praise for this. Only had time to play a few hours today and my impressions so far:

-Graphics are barely above ps2 level, looks pretty rough in most places (not that big of a deal)
-Can't say much about story yet, barely scratched the surface
just met the "half human" chick after that boss fight
-Only stand out feature so far is the music, it's quite good.
-I'll keep playing for a while longer and see if I'll get in to it.

Hellix

Just finished the game. Glad I finally got around to playing it, because it was fantastic. Sure there isn't much depth to the combat, but it didn't damper my experience. The story/world was pretty interesting, and the music is fantastic. Probably one of my favorite RPGs in a long while.

Concerning the different endings,
Ending D pissed me off. It made no sense for him to erase his existence to save Kaine after all he went through to save Yonah. I liked Kaine, but this was just going too far to give her a happy ending. Ending C felt more appropriate, since Kaine is finally "free" while Nier and Yonah are together again. Overall, I would have been satisfied with Ending A though.

Gvaz

Banned
Just got this today in the mail. Paid almost nothing so I figured why not, heard a bunch of praise for this. Only had time to play a few hours today and my impressions so far:

-Graphics are barely above ps2 level, looks pretty rough in most places (not that big of a deal)
-Can't say much about story yet, barely scratched the surface
just met the "half human" chick after that boss fight
-Only stand out feature so far is the music, it's quite good.
-I'll keep playing for a while longer and see if I'll get in to it.

The graphics are not barely above ps2 level. I played it on the PS3 though and it was very aliased to me, so i'd imagine if the game had at least some sort of anti-aa it would look a lot better.

no_frills

Banned
I played through this a while back and it's really a fascinating game. The LP's sidequest flowchart really captured it;
6RyoPiR.png

For anyone playing for the first time, at least get ending B, then see if you liked the gameplay enough to farm the weapons for the next endings, if not, just check them out on youtube. I'd play through it again if I still had my ps3.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm finally reading the delightful Nier LP, and this is my new favorite thing.

47-caviatroll.jpg

(Yes, I've played the game thrice.)

Yep, this game makes me sad that Cavia died. It was quite good. Finally finished it after procrastinating forever. I did end up watching the B, C, D endings (with the B +extra stuff). Kinda wish that stuff didn't require repetition. But yeah it was a good game.

Top Bottom