• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

Blizzard

Banned
StevieP said:
UE3: Everything is still covered in vaseline and lube.
Sipowicz said:
i didn't really find it very impressive tbh. the aesthetic is very nice but battlefield 3 impressed me a lot more
_tetsuo_ said:
UE 3 is the worst.
louis89 said:
Still has that crappy UE look about it.

Honest question, for you four or anyone else. If you feel this away about UE3 and/or the demo video, and/or last year's demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XahF-3DWo, it's a different style than this year's, might be worth watching), then could you help me to understand this:

I know it may be difficult to quantify or describe a "feel" or "look", but can you try to objectively list which exactly which elements bother you about most/all UE3 games?

I'm trying to learn how to do things with the UDK, and I would like to see if it's possible to avoid the things that always look the same. For instance, if you feel all surfaces are always shiny, say so. If you feel all marines are always bald and fat, then say so. Some things may be engine issues and some things may be design issues, but I am curious what things you strongly dislike even about this year's and last year's tech trailers, that would be in common with both. If I make a UDK game, what would have to be different about it for you to like how it looks?

Trickster

louis89 said:
Still has that crappy UE look about it.

Maybe it's because it's a pixelated offscreen video, but I really don't see how it looks similar to the UE3 engine that most people have come to dislike.

Honestly if I hadn't known it was UE3 before I saw the video, I'd probably be thinking to myself afterwards that it was the new 3Dmark test or an nvidia promo video.

Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see the crappy UE3 look you mention :)

FoxSpirit

professor_t said:
As someone who understands the technology about as well as Charlie Sheen understands "moderation," my principle concern isn't about the hardware, it's about the money.

Can anyone with a decent tech background explain why a full 8-10 hour game that looks like this (with the requisite online mode) *wouldn't* cost an absolute fortune to make?

Does the tech avail new strategies that let developers do more amazing things with less time, manpower, and money? Are there tricks/shortcuts that would make it possible for a developer without an exorbitant budget to produce something this impressive?

Put it this way, setting inflation aside, if you look at the most visually-striking game from one generation to the next, does it require more resources to reach the pinnacle in a subsequent generation? Or do increased computing power, built-in graphics card capabilities, and better software solutions allow developers to do more with the same resources?

A tad late reply:

The things demoed in here for the most part won't reqire a big addon to the existing workflow. Games are already made in Full quality and then you have to generate all the bumps, normal maps, displacement etc from that.

Having spectacular real-time light or reflections or Bokeh DoF or high quality shadows is as far away as a few mouseclicks.

The only real additional work to be done will be implementing the tesselation, maybe some game desginer could educate us further on the difficulty of that. *wink, wink*

And yeah, UE3 hate. As people have demoed, you can make TF2 looking stuff with it. And I think the vid looks spectacular :-D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought tessellation was an extension of parallax occlusion mapping, so using existing information in the scene to create the additional ploys - eg bump/displacement maps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Blackvette94 said:
I don't think so... next gen systems having a more powerful GPU the the gtx 580? So do you want $700-$800 systems? That is just not going to happen. It will be at best gtx460 level type stuff.
You could possibly achieve this with a 460 level card in a closed architecture, tightly integrated with a multicore CPU and edram etc.

How much of that 580's power are you spanking on windows 7 overhead, poor drivers, flexible but not optimal engines etc?

StuBurns

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Why is the guy morphing so much?

Can't he just stay morphed and kick ass?
That's what makes it not suck. If it was just 'Hulk smash' it'd be pretty lame. I have no idea it's even a game, let alone a gameplay mechanic, but I could envision it being similar to an organic take on power suit options in Crysis.

PSGames

“Another thing that’s awesome is that the engine now scales all the way from an iPhone 3GS up to next-generation hardware. That means you could theoretically make a game that’d run on every single one of these devices. Mobile phones to tablets to set top boxes,” said Rein.

If that's the case surely 3DS can run this engine as well despite what Rein said earlier about it not being powerful enough?

Minsc

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
You could possibly achieve this with a 460 level card in a closed architecture, tightly integrated with a multicore CPU and edram etc.

How much of that 580's power are you spanking on windows 7 overhead, poor drivers, flexible but not optimal engines etc?

Probably next to none. I thought we've seen quite a few cases were performance of a well ported console/PC title runs on equivalent PC hardware at similar performance as a 360 (and ~$400 PC better)? Stuff like SFIV or RE5 and Batman AA among other games run great on lower end hardware, don't they? If there was all this huge overhead and wasted resources due to windows you'd need a significantly more powerful setup on the PC to match the 360's visuals - and I don't believe you do.

PSGames said:
If that's the case surely 3DS can run this engine as well despite what Rein said earlier about it not being powerful enough?

3GS is an openGL 2.0 device. that's the minimum requirement for UE3.

3DS is a open GL 1.1 device with fixed shader functions. the biggest advantage of unreal engine is its shader approach and that's the only thing a game engine can't touch on 3ds since it's harware fixed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
WrikaWrek said:
Why is the guy morphing so much?

Can't he just stay morphed and kick ass?
It's showing off the incredible tech because it's a tech demo. In a game it probably wouldn't be that crazy with changing every two seconds. But goddamn does it look amazing with the tesselation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh yeah, since CliffyB is reading this thread: Please give us Shadow Complex on PC using some of these new effects please please please. And put it on Steam using Steamworks, not that Microsoft shit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After seeing the video, I hope this turns into a benchmark / demo / game.
It might even tempt me to buy a second gtx 580 lol.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This Tech demo prompted me to both redownload UT3 BE and to watch Blade Runner Final Cut Blu-ray last night.

Bang up job Epic.

I hope MS and Sony take this and the reaction of gamers to this demo into consideration when designing the new consoles. We need "Epic" amounts of power. I want Deus Ex 4 to look exactly like that demo.

PS: What version of UE3 is Gears using? Is it using "3.8" like the jungle demo shown last year?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
It's always moist in the world of Unreal. It's like being in an atlanta stripclub. Especially with the violence.

StuBurns

Banned
There is a certain reflectiveness to a lot of UE3 games, you can often tell if a game uses the engine just looking at it, but I don't know if it's really inherent in the technology or people just ripping off the Gears aesthetic.

FoxSpirit said:
A tad late reply:

The things demoed in here for the most part won't reqire a big addon to the existing workflow. Games are already made in Full quality and then you have to generate all the bumps, normal maps, displacement etc from that.

Having spectacular real-time light or reflections or Bokeh DoF or high quality shadows is as far away as a few mouseclicks.

The only real additional work to be done will be implementing the tesselation, maybe some game desginer could educate us further on the difficulty of that. *wink, wink*

And yeah, UE3 hate. As people have demoed, you can make TF2 looking stuff with it. And I think the vid looks spectacular :-D

I hope you're right.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
StuBurns said:
There is a certain reflectiveness to a lot of UE3 games, you can often tell if a game uses the engine just looking at it, but I don't know if it's really inherent in the technology or people just ripping off the Gears aesthetic.
Probably a little of both. I think the "UE3.0 look" is a combination of Gears asset reuse, flat lighting, bad normal mapping and shiny detail texture abuse. Games that don't do this don't have that look.

iavi

marathonfool said:
Maybe it's just me, but I always found the animation to be jarring in UE games. I played some Mass Effect 2 and the animation transition just looks so abrupt. Is there a reason for it? Maybe I'm not playing the right UE games. I wonder if UE3 addresses it.

Animation is something that seems to be engine-independent, don't quote me though. Play Enslaved, for example, It's a UE3 title that contains animation/motion-capture work leagues better than most games UE3/non-UE3.

Does the Unreal Engine have any particular problem with small or thin objects? I'm not very familiar with how it works, but it seems like everything people make in UE3 is chunky, like the chains the guy was using the blow torch on. Is it to emphasize the bump mapping or just that most UE3 games happen to have that sort of aesthetic?

scitek

Blizzard said:
Honest question, for you four or anyone else. If you feel this away about UE3 and/or the demo video, and/or last year's demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XahF-3DWo, it's a different style than this year's, might be worth watching), then could you help me to understand this:

I know it may be difficult to quantify or describe a "feel" or "look", but can you try to objectively list which exactly which elements bother you about most/all UE3 games?

I'm trying to learn how to do things with the UDK, and I would like to see if it's possible to avoid the things that always look the same. For instance, if you feel all surfaces are always shiny, say so. If you feel all marines are always bald and fat, then say so. Some things may be engine issues and some things may be design issues, but I am curious what things you strongly dislike even about this year's and last year's tech trailers, that would be in common with both. If I make a UDK game, what would have to be different about it for you to like how it looks?

I don't dislike UE3, but most games I've seen have this hazy look to them that almost immediately makes me think "UE3". I guess it has to do with the bloom maybe? The only game I can think of off the top of my head where this isn't prevalent is Mirror's Edge, and I know they did some custom stuff to the lighting in that game.

2011-02-28_00001gf2l.jpg

Bulletstorm is better about it, but its still there to a degree.

bulletstorm1hm60.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm still waiting on Unreal 3.

Come to think of it, I'm still waiting on Unreal 2.

TUROK

StuBurns said:
That's just the overuse of specular mapping. It's not engine-specific.

Blizzard

Banned
God's Beard said:
Does the Unreal Engine have any particular problem with small or thin objects? I'm not very familiar with how it works, but it seems like everything people make in UE3 is chunky, like the chains the guy was using the blow torch on. Is it to emphasize the bump mapping or just that most UE3 games happen to have that sort of aesthetic?
I don't know, but if anyone is more knowledgeable I'd like to hear. If anything is TOO fine (like wires) I suspect it might not look very good without anti-aliasing. Side note, with Epic's mention of MSAA and new support for DX11, does this mean we may finally have default anti-aliasing support in UE3/UDK? That'd be nice!

scitek said:
I don't dislike UE3, but most games I've seen have this hazy look to them that almost immediately makes me think "UE3". I guess it has to do with the bloom maybe? The only game I can think of off the top of my head where this isn't prevalent is Mirror's Edge, and I know they did some custom stuff to the lighting in that game.
I -think- the effects you are talking about are the result of post-processing effects -- depth-of-field and bloom, and the bloom is certainly very obvious in the first shot. Thanks for the input. I loved the clarity in Mirror's Edge even though I had to play with contrast/brightness, since some areas (rooftop surfaces for instance) were so bright that the texture detail got completely washed out.

Despite all the naysayers, NVIDIA did deliver on their promises with the Fermi. Can't wait to see what nextgen will be like. This is when the true next gen starts...

"Nvidia Corp. will integrate general-purpose ARM processing core(s) into a chip that belongs to Maxwell family of graphics processing units (GPUs), the company revealed in an interview. The Maxwell-generation chip will be the first commercial physical implementation of Nvidia's project Denver and will also be the company's first accelerated processing unit (APU).

"The Maxwell generation will be the first end-product using Project Denver. This is a far greater resource investment for us than just licensing a design," said Mike Rayfield, general manager of mobile solutions for Nvidia, in an interview with Hexus web-site... Jensen just told at the press conference that the new chip is 40 times faster than Fermi and that it will get up to 10 to twelve times faster than Kepler.

The manufacturing process of choice is 22nm, something that TSMC hopes to have in 2013 but it still leaves quite a gap in 2012 when there won’t be anything really new, just maybe a tweak in Kepler.

Between now and Maxwell, we will introduce virtual memory, pre-emption, enhance the ability of GPU to autonomously process, so that it's non-blocking of the CPU, not waiting for the CPU, relies less on the transfer overheads that we see today. These will take GPU computing to the next level"

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item/20260-nvidia-maxwell-is-22nm-part

vio

While it has some nice effects (morphing and...reflections), to me it is not that impressive. Nextgen will look way much better in my opinion. Battlefield 3 with it`s gameplay looks already more impressive than this... tech demo. And Cryengine 3 does most of the stuff you see can here, and then some.
Someone mentioned that it has unreal "look" and i have to agree 100%. It`s just artists at epic i guess. I am very surprised people are impress so much with this i guess.
Epic made some cool games..but i hope they don`t define Nextgen, like they did this one.

scitek said:

It's UE3's POS depth of field, it has always blown man cock, thankfully they realized that and created a much better one that was introduced in UDK.

As for the reason all UE3 games look the same, UE3 is a middleware solution that ships with a SHIT LOAD of shader effects, textures, etc out the box. Many developers just use the effects packed with UE3 instead of creating their own (it's cheaper). That and on console there are many fixed cost effects that most developers don't disable (like the DOF, horrid bloom) because they don't want to code their own that plays nice with UE3.

StuBurns

Banned
vio said:
While it has some nice effects (morphing and...reflections), to me it is not that impressive. Nextgen will look way much better in my opinion. Battlefield 3 with it`s gameplay looks already more impressive than this... tech demo. And Cryengine 3 does most of the stuff you see can here, and then some.
Someone mentioned that it has unreal "look" and i have to agree 100%. It`s just artists at epic i guess. I am very surprised people are impress so much with this i guess.
Epic made some cool games..but i hope they don`t define Nextgen, like they did this one.
So much wrong to contain in such a small paragraph.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
lol another one.
It's dat lighting. I still think Mirror's Edge is the best looking UE3.0 game.

It's apples and oranges though. A tech demo is judged by its tech too. Not just the eye candy.

Trickster

Stallion Free said:
I love how in every post hating on the video, the person also brings up Battlefield 3.

Which is funny because the Battlefield 3 video I've seen looks nowhere close to as impressive as the UE3 video.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
I think Bulletstorm looks pretty terrible, maybe it's awesome on PC though.
the game actually looks pretty remarkable on PC.

After playing Enslaved on 360 -- which I didn't mind, all things considered -- it was really nice to look at Bulletstorm in motion on PC and feel like I'd just jumped forward in time five or so years.

iavi

Rez said:
the game actually looks pretty remarkable on PC.

After playing Enslaved on 360 -- which I didn't mind, all things considered -- it was really nice to look at Bulletstorm in motion on PC and feel like I'd just jumped forward in time five or so years.

Somebody was tossing out some incredible shots of this on in the Screenshot thread a while back. How? I have no idea. But this game needs a PC release, badly. Get it on Steam and I would buy it again, with the quickness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Miri said:
Somebody was tossing out some incredible shots of this on in the Screenshot thread a while back. How? I have no idea. But this game needs a PC release, badly. Get it on Steam and I would buy it again, with the quickness.
yeah, it certainly has its moments. but it often falls back into flat-bland-terrainsville.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I know Unreal Engine3 tends to get negative comments about how prior a few years when it was first released, a lot of licensed games that used it tended to look poor or "badart". I think with the updates now, and some great games that evidently shows how great a job Unreal 3 can do in the hands of some talented folkes, shows how far it can do. I think Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2, Batman:AA, and Gears of war are some great ways of showing how far the engine has come. I love the feel to Unreal 3 and this update makes it even more kickass to look forward to seeing these Directx11 features coming to play down the line

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What I really want in future UDK updates is realtime prototyping, something like CryEngine 3. It's pretty fast in UDK now but baking a big level can take some time, while in Sandbox 2-3 you just press CTRL-G i and boom, you're in a game. I don't know, may be they have improved it in latest UDK revisions. These DX11 features look very tasty to try.

Ionic

StevieP said:
UE3: Everything is still covered in vaseline and lube.

Most of that is just a thin film of man sweat and semen on the screen from the excited GDC participants watching.

Top Bottom