• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Booshka

In that short peice early on, Tsquared put a lot of emphasize on the 1-50 system but even as someone who loved the grind and challenge that system provided, I personally care more about the gameplay. Too many people seem to care more about the carrot on a stick. I am nitpicking a whole lot when it comes to Tsquared (because he did go on to make some good gameplay points), but some of the other forums place so much importance on carrot on stick systems and graphics, and I find that annoying. 343 seems to understand the importance of getting the gameplay right before throwing that stuff on top though.

Every Tsquared interview that asks about what he wants out of Halo sounds like he can't convey what he likes about Halo gameplay, and how it could be better. He just talks about rank and player progression because I don't think he knows what he wants out of the game mechanics. Not to say that he can't tell what is good Halo or bad Halo gameplay, but just that he doesn't know how to convey it in words.

CyReN

In that short peice early on, Tsquared put a lot of emphasize on the 1-50 system but even as someone who loved the grind and challenge that system provided, I personally care more about the gameplay. Too many people seem to care more about the carrot on a stick. I am nitpicking a whole lot when it comes to Tsquared (because he did go on to make some good gameplay points), but some of the other forums place so much importance on carrot on stick systems and graphics, and I find that annoying. 343 seems to understand the importance of getting the gameplay right before throwing that stuff on top though.

I see no issue why we can't have both (unless they have technical restrictions), the problem with ranks for Halo 2/3 was cheating, boosting, etc. Then Bungie tried with Arena and it did cut down on those things because no one really played it/liked it. So now people are quitting all the time with really no repercussions. As corny as it sounds ranks always put more insensitive for people to play even if it's for casual gamers. This isn't about adding it for Reach, Reach is done. This is all about Halo 4.

I see no issue why we can't have both (unless they have technical restrictions), the problem with ranks for Halo 2/3 was cheating, boosting, etc. Then Bungie tried with Arena and it did cut down on those things because no one really played it/liked it. So now people are quitting with really no repercussions. As corny as it sounds ranks always put more insensitive for people to play even if it's for casual gamers.

Too many playlists for ranked games will lower populations and jack up pre-match wait-times. There is a risk of providing too many specific playlists.

orznge

Banned

Would you call Elo ratings in chess a "carrot on a stick"?

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think I agree with TSquared on going back to the 1-50 ranking. Arena was needlessly complicated for a ranking system.

orznge

Banned
Sabotage your team? Assists were worth more than kills! it took them 7 seasons to switch to W/L, not just after launch.

Orznge, double posting like clockwork.

I'm so sorry that I doubleposted, instead of taking up the Computron posting style and posting huge image macros from a decade ago.

So DLC is required to play Big Team Battle now? Just tried to play with a friend of mine, but it wouldn't let us because he doesn't have the DLC. And he's not willing to buy them because $20 for the two map packs is kind of expensive, and that's assuming that Anniversary isn't required

CyReN

Too many playlists for ranked games will lower populations and jack up pre-match wait-times. There is a risk of providing too many specific playlists.

We can still have unranked playlists for others, maybe just rank playlist like these:

Ranked:
  • Team Slayer
  • Team Objective
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Swat
  • Double Team
  • Rumble Pit
  • Big Team Battle
  • MLG (once rules are in place)

Unranked
  • Team Battle (TS/OBJ)
  • Big Team Battle
  • Living Dead
  • Grifball
  • Multi Team
  • Action Sack
  • etc

That's 14, Reach has 22 right now. I'm sure 343i got some new ideas and playlist they want to implement so it should be pretty even.

orznge

Banned
Ranks progressed like in warcraft, more time meant higher level. Ranks didn't lock you in to your true skill (not to be confused with trueskill)

I'm aware of this but due to the fact that competition incentivizes cheating and other potentially negative behavior a lot of people are seemingly resigned to not caring whether there's a competitive system implemented at all, rather than implementing one in a way that works to curb this behavior.

Computron

I'm so sorry that I doubleposted, instead of taking up the Computron posting style and posting huge image macros from a decade ago.

Correction: Relevant and AWESOME image macros. We were talking about graphics for god's sake, Would you rather I describe you the pixels? And I posted new 14k shots for Halo 4 as well.

I'm aware of this but due to the fact that competition incentivizes cheating and other potentially negative behavior a lot of people are seemingly resigned to not caring whether there's a competitive system implemented at all, rather than implementing one in a way that works to curb this behavior.

What reach did was make the ranking invisible to the player, by using trueskill. Now i am sure you can point me to a game where trueskill seemed like it failed terrible and your team went +100 but it mostly works, better than other games, and I would say better than Halo 3. Also, how many ebay listings do you see for Reach accounts?

Halo 3 style 1-50 is nowhere near comparable to ELO. ELO is more similar to Trueskill.

What would you propose we do? Go back to the broken system?

orznge

Banned
Correction: Relevant and AWESOME image macros.

What reach did was make the ranking invisible to the player. Now i am sure you can point me to a game where trueskill seemed like it failed terrible and your team went +100 but it mostly works, better than other games, and I would say better than Halo 3. Also, how many ebay listings do you see for Reach accounts?

I'm not sure, since I haven't searched ebay for Reach accounts. However I hope I'm not alone in not wanting to throw away visible ranks that let me track progress just so people can't spend money to have a number and tiny picture next to their name.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
TSquared is a moron.

moron said:
But there's not any kind of ranking system. So one person could go in that's played 100 rumble pit games and be matched up against someone who's only played one rumble pit game. So they did that for time constraint purposes, and they wanted the matchmaking system to be so fast, but I would much rather wait around for a quality Halo match then get matched up against someone who's never played the game before.

Does he really believe that because Reach doesn't have visible skill rankings that Trueskill was suddenly dropped from matchmaking?

You can criticise Trueskill for it's failings but telling folks Bungie didn't even implement it in Reach due to time constraints is one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard a "pro" gamer say.

Loxley

Why...oh why...do I continue to play Big Team Battle when it always causes more frustration and anguish when I could be playing other variants that don't drive me insane? I think it's high time I abandoned any hope I had of ever enjoying that mode.

Although I will admit that knocking a falcon out of the air with a charged plasma pistol and killing everyone on board with a single grenade when it crashes into the ground is always satisfying.

orznge

Banned
Halo 3 style 1-50 is nowhere near comparable to ELO. ELO is more similar to Trueskill.

What would you propose we do? Go back to the broken system?

Why are the only options available in your head "stay the same" or "revert"? Why is it not viable to improve on what's currently available or to work on something new?

Computron

TSquared is a moron.

Does he really believe that because Reach doesn't have visible skill rankings that Trueskill was suddenly dropped from matchmaking?

You can criticise Trueskill for it's failings but telling folks Bungie didn't even implement it in Reach due to time constraints is the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard a "pro" gamer say.

A lot of what he said seemed very counter intuitive to common sense.

Why are the only options available in your head "stay the same" or "revert"? Why is it not viable to improve on what's currently available or to work on something new?

It sounded to me like you wanted the old 1-50 system back, sorry if that wasn't the case. So I'll ask again, what do you propose?

Booshka

TSquared is a moron.

You can criticise Trueskill for it's failings but telling folks Bungie didn't even implement it in Reach due to time constraints is the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard a "pro" gamer say.

The other funny thing was how he doesn't have time to read Halo books.

CyReN

I don't think Tsquared is a genius, but I've thought that many many times I've played Reach. Risen and I played with some others last night in 8 games and it ended every time 75-30 and under besides 1 game when they got in the 40's. It wasn't really fun to play against those people, I'll take losing 49-50 over winning 50-15 any day of the week.

The other funny thing was how he doesn't have time to read Halo books.

The way of the nerd books! I hate that stupid phase with people pushing that book and Gamma Gamer crap.

Lingitiz

Anyone else think there should be some sort of party filter for unranked playlists in Halo 4? 3 and Reach had this problem where stacked teams go into casual playlists like Social Slayer and treat it as if it was an MLG game. As a primarily solo player, it gets really annoying.

Luckily there are enough other playlists to counter it, but still I would like to see an option.

derFeef

Anyone in the need for a Anni-mappack for Reach?
I don't need mine really, so I give it away.

edit: gone - goes to Franklinator.

Anyone else think there should be some sort of party filter for unranked playlists in Halo 4? 3 and Reach had this problem where stacked teams go into casual playlists like Social Slayer and treat it as if it was an MLG game. As a primarily solo player, it gets really annoying.

Luckily there are enough other playlists to counter it, but still I would like to see an option.

Well there is on the matchmaking systems side. Anniversary Classic and Team Objective are set to not have individuals match up against teams of four, and obviously Arena has that as well.

NOKYARD

Just played a match of BTB heavies on Breakpoint. Surprisingly, I had a lot of fun. I wish that map showed up a bit more.. Its not perfect, buts its a lot better than other reach offerings.
Thank you.

Q9kXZ.gif

Really guys what is that thing?

Did some digging and i think i figured it out. New Donging Perk.

tumblr_lmb1ropUsj1qj2hv9o1_500.jpg

topsecret03ij3.jpg

orznge

Banned
A lot of what he said seemed very counter intuitive to common sense.

It sounded to me like you wanted the old 1-50 system back, sorry if that wasn't the case. So I'll ask again, what do you propose?

I'm not sure, I haven't thought about it in-depth, but I'd much rather something with functioning leaderboards and a way to track my own and others' progress than an invisible system where the primary purpose of the invisibility is to curb cheating and account-selling.

How could you curb cheating and account-selling? Ideas anyone?

Would you call Elo ratings in chess a "carrot on a stick"?

Nope I sure wouldn't but some people clamouring for 1-50 don't seem to care about a game unless it has 1-50. Would a Grand Master stop playing chess because ELO doesn't exist? I think he would still play for the love of the game.

Thats a pretty big digression though, going for 50 was a VERY fun, challenging and satisfying goal. It provided me with a reason to take certain playlists more seriously and it provided good competition. I love 1-50. I want Halo 4 to have good gameplay AND a good ranking system. I was just explaining badly on a bad tangeant about how I care more about gameplay.

Computron

Gonna try it tonight...I don't even know why, haha. Vehicular combat is not my cup of tea, especially in halo. Is it even possible to play well in Heavies without using vehicles extensively?

The new update actually gives extra points if you are on foot when you kill.

We should play, send me an invite i am on now.

Havok

I think I agree with TSquared on going back to the 1-50 ranking. Arena was needlessly complicated for a ranking system.
Arena was the first ranking system in a Halo game that didn't require you to grind through legions of awful players to get to your starting skill point. The 1-50 system was inherently flawed (and far too easy to reach max rank in 3 - I'm nowhere near the top 1% of players in the game and got to 49 playing with Norwegian host every game). Onyx 1% is a meaningful statistic, a 50 isn't.

Computron

going for 50

I am not a mathematician, so correct me if you see something weird, but;

That seems to me like part of the problem. Ideally, only about 1/50th of the population shoud get to that level, so unless you really are that good, it's not the destination. There should be an even spread of players in each rank and it should be constantly moving/adjusting every time a player moves up of down. Meaning it's a relative scale, WHICH IS WHAT ELO IS.

So trueskill.

I dont know how you can improve over it, although that doesn't mean its impossible.

Karl2177

Arena was the first ranking system in a Halo game that didn't require you to grind through legions of awful players to get to your starting skill point. The 1-50 system was inherently flawed (and far too easy to reach max rank in 3 - I'm nowhere near the top 1% of players in the game and got to 49 playing with Norwegian host every game). Onyx 1% is a meaningful statistic, a 50 isn't.

I wish they displayed population divisions were more clearly. Onyx doesn't mean much if only 200 people are playing it. Otherwise, I love the division system. It works brilliantly at showing your skill relative to the population when the known population is shown, like Starcraft.

I know Tashi and I have brought it up before, but there's a lot to learn from Blizzard and Starcraft 2 about matching players, ranking, and map/gametype preferences.

That seems to me like part of the problem. Ideally, only about 1/50th of the population shoud get to that level. There should be an even spread of players in each rank and it should be constantly moving/adjusting every time a player moves up of down. Meaning it's a relative scale, WHICH IS WHAT ELO IS.

So trueskill.

I dont know how you can improve over it, although that doesn't mean its impossible.
I hate to tell you this, but your information is way, way off. 1-50 wasn't Elo. A 50 isn't and shouldn't be 1/50th of the population.

That seems to me like part of the problem. Ideally, only about 1/50th of the population shoud get to that level, so unless you really are that good, it's not the destination. There should be an even spread of players in each rank and it should be constantly moving/adjusting every time a player moves up of down. Meaning it's a relative scale, WHICH IS WHAT ELO IS.

So trueskill.

It depends on your definition of 'going for 50', I hope your not implying that moving up and down is not possible in ELO, I dont know anything about ELO but I do know that no one is born a Chess Grand Master lol.

I think the Halo 3 population spread was probably fairer than most realize, even on forums where people playing the game 24/7 there was a fair spread of ranks. I think a harsher system would just bunch up too much at the lower ranks.

I don't think Tsquared is a genius, but I've thought that many many times I've played Reach. Risen and I played with some others last night in 8 games and it ended every time 75-30 and under besides 1 game when they got in the 40's. It wasn't really fun to play against those people, I'll take losing 49-50 over winning 50-15 any day of the week.

The way of the nerd books! I hate that stupid phase with people pushing that book and Gamma Gamer crap.

Reach diffidently has Hidden trueskill The calibur of people i face when playing with my RL friends who dont play alot to when i play alone with randoms and then when i play with a good team like you guys or juices/devo/kyle is clearly worlds apart.

Risen

I'd like the old 1-50 system from H2 back. The system more accurately tracked your ability in a TEAM game. Win and you go up, lose and you go down and you're only matched within a specific window of your number. All the intangibles that go into winning are rewarded in the win, and the lack of same penalized in the loss. I can say emphatically my games in H2 as a 43 in hardcore were competitive the vast majority to the time. Remove trueskill altogether so that people cannot manipulate their positioning simply by throwing games.

The inclusion of trueskill did more to allow cheating than deter precisely because it can be fooled. People go in, lose badly on purposed for x number of games, then win a sufficient number which fools the system into thinking they should not have been winning them, and they rank up faster.

Arena initially was completely broken by how stats were applied and not accurately measuring the assist. The change to wins/loses was a huge step in the right direction.

Cheating should be addressed, but by penalizing those that cheat and ensuring it's hard to tamper with the network, not adjusting to an inferior system (in my opinion - I get we're polar opposites here).

Top Bottom