• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Majine

Banned
The hardware of this phone is droolworthy.

But I'm wondering if I can handle Samsungs skin.

I guess you can try to make it look as stock as possible...

LordDash

Banned
S8 coming in today. Can't wait to delve into it and get my fingers all over it.

Anyone tried the VR headset yet? How is it?

pitchfork

Mine just arrived!

gorgeous phone is gorgeous

17952436_642797502575674_1530003295825041039_n.jpg

Mascot

I'm redoing our corporate contracts at the moment and as an S6E owner i'm very interested in the S8. Two things worry me from the reviews though:

1. How much a PITA it is unlocking the phone
  2. The quality of the built-in speaker and the tinny sound from it (I use this quite a lot for quick YouTubing and music/podcasating while having a crap etc)

Can anyone offer hands-on experience of these?

BriGuy

How are the headphones that ship with the phone? Do they sound like a step up from the normal ones that ship?
They sound great. Definite improvement over past ones, but that might be because they sit deeper in my ear. They're comfortable though, and the woven cable looks slick for whatever that's worth.

2. The quality of the built-in speaker and the tinny sound from it (I use this quite a lot for quick YouTubing and music/podcasating while having a crap etc)

No idea about unlocking.

The sound quality of the phone speaker doesn't stand out to me one way or another. You're not going to get thumping bass out of it if that's what you're asking.

I'm redoing our corporate contracts at the moment and as an S6E owner i'm very interested in the S8. Two things worry me from the reviews though:

My S8+ doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but here's a speaker comparison with the s7: Youtube

Mascot

No idea about unlocking.

The sound quality of the phone speaker doesn't stand out to me one way or another. You're not going to get thumping bass out of it if that's what you're asking.

It's the fingerprint unlocking that worries me. It's reportedly hard to reach and hit-and-miss during operation.

If the speaker is similar quality to the S6 then that would be fine for me. Is it?

My S8+ doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but here's a speaker comparison with the s7: Youtube

Thanks.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So after talking with 3 different people over 3 days with Sky it looks like they ran out of stock on the S8 and S8+ and I wont get the phone for at least 2 weeks (even after been assured I would get it today). I just went ahead and cancelled the order.

Balls.

Jeffrey

Was that online?

I pre-ordered mine via Best Buy. But in a store. Any way to get an update on the status?
Preordered online for in store pickup. I wonder if it shows up if you had a best buy account when you checked out in store?

Pretty sure they just use a employee version of best buy. Com anyways.

Pepiope

The VS experience promotion was already approved and purchased. I thought it'd take 6-8 weeks, but it says it'll ship in 1-3 days with free 2 day shipping. Nice.

BraXzy

Both my orders arrived at home within the space of 5 minutes from different suppliers and couriers. My S8 is sitting at home right now!

L090lvT.gif

But I've got to get through 3 more hours of work to get there!

spekkeh

Banned
I'll say this is one sexy phone.

The bezels on the side are not completely gone though. In fact they don't seem all that much smaller than my S6, just more depressed.

Does anyone have it with Gear VR? I wonder if I should buy a new one or just keep my s6 as VR phone.

Both my orders arrived at home within the space of 5 minutes from different suppliers and couriers. My S8 is sitting at home right now!

http://i.imgur.com/L090lvT.gif[IMG]

But I've got to get through 3 more hours of work to get there![/QUOTE]

Lol at the gif. I'm almost to that level now as my phones are out for delivery finally. I'm hoping to get them this morning still, though that will make my productivity at work plummet for the afternoon.

BraXzy

Lol at the gif. I'm almost to that level now as my phones are out for delivery finally. I'm hoping to get them this morning still, though that will make my productivity at work plummet for the afternoon.

I have a feeling I won't get much done tomorrow while I play around with it :L

kromeo

Wow just opened a package at work and there it is, didnt even cross my mind thats what it was going to be. 02 site said after the 28th when i renewed my contract.. :D

BriGuy

It's the fingerprint unlocking that worries me. It's reportedly hard to reach and hit-and-miss during operation.

If the speaker is similar quality to the S6 then that would be fine for me. Is it?

Thanks.
I'm coming from an S6 edge+, and the speaker quality sounds about the same. The 8+ might be a little louder at maximum volume, but don't quote me on that.

The finger print scanner kind of sucks though. It's a bit of a stretch and doesn't seem as accurate as using my thumb print on the home button of my last phone. The iris scanner works really well so far though. I've had 100% success rate with it, but I need to borrow someone else's eyes to make sure it's not just unlocking for any Joe Schmoe.

Mascot

I'm coming from an S6 edge+, and the speaker quality sounds about the same. The 8+ might be a little louder at maximum volume, but don't quote me on that.

The finger print scanner kind of sucks though. It's a bit of a stretch and doesn't seem as accurate as using my thumb print on the home button of my last phone. The iris scanner works really well so far though. I've had 100% success rate with it, but I need to borrow someone else's eyes to make sure it's not just unlocking for any Joe Schmoe.

Thanks for that.

I read you can set the S8 so that it unlock automatically in safe environments (at home, work, wherever) and only locks away from these. That could be pretty useful if the unlocking becomes a PITA.

BraXzy

Are you getting from Samsung direct?

The only indication I have is on my order tracking page it says all items shipped but dispatch info is still processing so I have no idea who the courier is.

I ordered one from Vodafone, one from Very.co.uk. Vodafone shipped with DPD and Very used Royal Mail. Sorry :(

Taking screenshots are the same? Hold the Home and Power key? OR has it changed since the home button is now on the screen?
I was trying to figure this out while playing around with my phone yesterday. You have to press the power button and the volume down button at the same time now. I even learned of a new vertical scroll feature for the image capture which I used to take the picture of my email receipt for the Samsung VR promotion. I hope that's what they wanted and my claim gets approved.

It's changed to power + volume down, i.e. the stock Android way.

I was trying to figure this out while playing around with my phone yesterday. You have to press the power button and the volume down button at the same time now. I even learned of a new vertical scroll feature for the image capture which I used to take the picture of my email receipt for the Samsung VR promotion. I hope that's what they wanted and my claim gets approved.

Thanks all! I like taking screenshots of those online coupons :p

Touchwiz lag? I hope issues like these aren't common....
I tried using s8 and s8+ earlier because gf's mother is looking for a new phone. Definetely has lag. Me and my gf tried to tell her that it lags and it's better to get the s7. She just ignored it because she wants the latest model. 🙄

Jeffrey

Always remember setting up a new phone will lead to more lag and battery drain.

Samsung has always had the quirk of extra sluggishness when dling apps lol.

And if you care about performance, why are you even looking at Samsung lol. Get an iPhone or pixel or oneplus.

Samsung gives you the hardware and features,smoothness is the sacrifice.

And if you care about performance, why are you even looking at Samsung lol. Get an iPhone or pixel or oneplus.

S8 is smoother than an iPhone

Sanjuro

AUTcHMM.gif

Izayoi

Banned
oh my god it's fucking beautiful (s8+)

the battery life... this is absolute insanity

HUGE upgrade from the S7

Also, the iris scanner works REALLY, REALLY well. With or without glasses it's practically instant. I use it for everything and it works even better than the fingerprint did on the S7. Brilliant.

Top Bottom