• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks All The Bravest, registers allthebravest.com

Metallix87

Announced for the Vita soon :D

UdpPV.gif

CorvoSol

"Dream Drop Distance" is surely in the running in this contest. I actually prefer these way-out-there titles to something as banal as "Lightning Returns". Imagine if they named all their RPGs like that? "Squall Emotes". "Ashley Forges".

Yeah, okay, but Ashley Forges does sound awesome. I agree that it's more enjoyable than "Final Fantasy Origins" and "Final Fantasy Rising" and "Final Fantasy Chronicles" would be.

Famassu

It's best these days to not allow yourself any hope at all that Square will localize its good games.
Type-0 is the only notable thing they haven't localized in recent years and for obvious reasons (they had superb support for PSP throughout the years, which didn't pay off at all in the western markets)

It's best these days to not allow yourself any hope at all that Square will localize its good games.

PSP owners can feel pessimistic for the lack of FF Type 0 (PSP market lol), but DS owners have gotten quite a bit of S-E love, so why give up hope? We got most of the titles that should have been released - despite missing Saga 2 and 3, but those came so late that the 3DS was already out. I can't see S-E passing on localizing Bravely Default.

Famassu

Why can't it be a PSN release now? Or given the Persona 3 treatment for a regular vita release?
Given that people don't want to pay more than .99$ for DD games and the small size of (active) PSP and Vita user base, digital only release is out of the question for a franchise AND game as big as Type-0. That's like saying Sony should release the next Uncharted as DD only.

hongcha

DS owners have gotten quite a bit of S-E love, so why give up hope? We got most of the titles that should have been released - despite missing Saga 2 and 3, but those came so late that the 3DS was already out.

Saga 2 came out in September 2009, which is long before the 3DS was released. It was a fantastic game and it's a real shame it never got released outside of Japan. Also, Saga 3 came out in January 2011, which is still before the 3DS's release in Japan (February 2011).

4 Heroes of Light released in October 2009, and was localized a year later (October 2010) in other territories, but sold very poorly there. That does not bode well for a BD:FF localization.

We also have yet to hear of a localization of Square-Enix's Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3 (sequel to the DS game Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime), released over 1 year ago on the Japanese 3DS.

mclem

I'm placing my bet on this being Bravely Default's US title.

If this *is* the case - and I do hope so - it does somewhat get in the way of the battle system - as I understand it, that uses "Brave" and "Default" as important terms within the battle system, and that'd get lost with this sort of name.

That said, it might not be a problem, since that link doesn't strike me as necessary.

Saga 2 came out in September 2009, which is long before the 3DS was released. It was a fantastic game and it's a real shame it never got released outside of Japan. Also, Saga 3 came out in January 2011, which is still before the 3DS's release in Japan (February 2011).

4 Heroes of Light released in October 2009, and was localized a year later (October 2010) in other territories, but sold very poorly there. That does not bode well for a BD:FF localization.

We also have yet to hear of a localization of Square-Enix's Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3 (sequel to the DS game Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime), released over 1 year ago on the Japanese 3DS.

Where else is S-E gonna make their money? They need to release games, and Bravely Default looks like a much higher quality game than either SaGa remake and certainly much more impressive than Rocket Slime 3. S-E released Tactics Ogre for PSP. If they can pay to localize that, they will do so for BD:FF.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
KH3D did fine. Western sales (ie: shipments) as of the end of September:

Kingdom Hearts 3D: 650,000
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: 150,000
Heroes of Ruin: 130,000

It'll be Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

Where did you get the KH3D shipment/sales from? I thought it sold much less than that. Like 200K or something.

Where else is S-E gonna make their money? They need to release games, and Bravely Default looks like a much higher quality game than either SaGa remake and certainly much more impressive than Rocket Slime 3. S-E released Tactics Ogre for PSP. If they can pay to localize that, they will do so for BD:FF.

From Tomb Raider, Hitman and other Eidos titles. And Lightning Returns :p

Where did you get the KH3D shipment/sales from? I thought it sold much less than that. Like 200K or something.

That might be the hope of many, but Square Enix released the last fiscal results and KH3D sold in the West 650k units in the span of time of roughly 2 months. It can sell quite well in NA during holidays. It's not a bomb.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That might be the hope of many, but Square Enix released the last fiscal results and KH3D sold in the West 650k units in the span of time of roughly 2 months. It can sell quite well in NA during holidays. It's not a bomb.

Oooo.. Found the fiscal report. That shipped number is indeed correct. But still no sales figures. I hoped it had a better sold ratio (compared to shipment) than FF13-2. FF13-2 sold only about half its inital shipment.

Oooo.. Found the fiscal report. That shipped number is indeed correct. But still no sales figures. I hoped it had a better sold ratio (compared to shipment) than FF13-2. FF13-2 sold only about half its inital shipment.

I don't think those situations are comparable. Square Enix has been very conservative about the shipment of their 3DS games; KH3D, for example, is quite hard to find here in Italy, and I heard is not so easy to find neither in Spain and France.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think those situations are comparable. Square Enix has been very conservative about the shipment of their 3DS games; KH3D, for example, is quite hard to find here in Italy, and I heard is not so easy to find neither in Spain and France.

Yes. The 150K copies of Thearhythm does speak of a more conservative SE. I hope they didn't overship and that the game sold well too so that they can localise more 3DS games.

Sign of the times. We're getting a Hobbit FB game instead of a console tie-in either. That is less sad than not getting BD, but still telling.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Sign of the times. We're getting a Hobbit FB game instead of a console tie-in either. That is less sad than not getting BD, but still telling.

Given that most tie-in games are marketed at people who like the movies, i.e. a more general and causual crowd than gamers that have more discerning tastes, an FB game makes more financial sense. Many tie-in games turn out to be horrible too so I wouldn't see it as a bad move in general.

I choose to believe that the is the localized name for FF:BD and that a localization announcement is coming soon.

Given that most tie-in games are marketed at people who like the movies, i.e. a more general and causual crowd than gamers that have more discerning tastes, an FB game makes more financial sense. Many tie-in games turn out to be horrible too so I wouldn't see it as a bad move in general.

Yeah I'm not mourning it at all (We got a pretty good Hobbit game back in '03 if I remember), it's just indicative of the market.

I choose to believe that the is the localized name for FF:BD and that a localization announcement is coming soon.

I'm being pretty optimistic and thinking this is the plan. Bravely Default is a fucking stupid name. Like... you're bravely failing to act... and you're a flying fairy. Makes no sense from any angle.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm not mourning it at all (We got a pretty good Hobbit game back in '03 if I remember), it's just indicative of the market.

I'm being pretty optimistic and thinking this is the plan. Bravely Default is a fucking stupid name. Like... you're bravely failing to act... and you're a flying fairy. Makes no sense from any angle.

It makes sense if you know the context. I think the scenario writer says its because the characters share the theme of how courage has made them default from what they are expected to do and do what they want to do. The Flying Fairy part is a spoiler if you remove certain letter (s). The battle system is also called the Brave and Default system.

Shinta

Banned
Bravely Default is a fucking stupid name. Like... you're bravely failing to act... and you're a flying fairy. Makes no sense from any angle.
The name makes sense, it's just astonishingly literal. Brave and Default are core elements of the battle system, and the game prominently features a flying fairy which is also on the cover. It's like calling Mario "Jumping Plumber: Fire Flower." It does make sense, it's just not the best name. For all the talk of SQEX picking random latin words with a dartboard for their titles, this is kind of the exact opposite.
The battle system is also called the Brave and Default system.
All The Bravest also might mean ATB, but I don't know if the game is strictly turn based or not.

It makes sense if you know the context. I think the scenario writer says its because the characters share the theme of how courage has made them default from what they are expected to do and do what they want to do. The Flying Fairy part is a spoiler if you remove certain letter (s). The battle system is also called the Brave and Default system.

The name makes sense, it's just astonishingly literal. Brave and Default are core elements of the battle system, and the game prominently features a flying fairy which is also on the cover. It's like calling Mario "Jumping Plumber: Fire Flower." It does make sense, it's just not the best name. For all the talk of SQEX picking random latin words with a dartboard for their titles, this is kind of the exact opposite.

Eh, fair enough then. That sort of sounds like the logic behind "Theatrhythm", though logic doesn't neccesarily make it a good or marketable game. I wouldn't blame them at all for changing it. Here's hoping that's the case, it looks like an excellent title and I'd like the opportunity to play it. Outside of FF-Type O, SE have generally been pretty good with localising titles, looking at the Dragon Quest titles and Heroes of Light.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh, fair enough then. That sort of sounds like the logic behind "Theatrhythm", though logic doesn't neccesarily make it a good or marketable game. I wouldn't blame them at all for changing it. Here's hoping that's the case, it looks like an excellent title and I'd like the opportunity to play it. Outside of FF-Type O, SE have generally been pretty good with localising titles, looking at the Dragon Quest titles and Heroes of Light.

Before Crisis doesn't seem to be remembered much.

Or Saga 2 Remake for DS. Or Saga 3 Remake for DS.

Kandinsky

Using all the believe I have left for SE in hopes that BD:FF and DQ VII make it over to the states. They have my permission to take the rest of the gen off after that if they want.

Duuuuude you totally forgot DQX, thats the only one that matters!

D:

Aeana

Bravely Default is the most widely accepted gibberish name I've seen on here. I guess people don't bat an eyelash at it because they're anxious for a good jrpg.
Accepted? Show me a thread where the game is mentioned without a derail about the name.

jackal27

Banned

Let's not forget Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland which came to Japan earlier this year as well.

Just out of curiosity, which SaGa game is most eligible to be remade for the 3DS? How did 2 & 3 do in JP?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Situation about both the titles

Final Fantasy Type 0

Sold pretty well in Japan
They actually want to release it here, but...
PSP is dead
Vita has not a bright future right now
Then, it needs time to understand what to do and then to port it on another platform, if that's the case

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Selling very well in Japan ( compared to the expectations)
Producers said he's looking for the best way to localize it ( even saying they could bring here first the social game in order to gain interest for the 3DS release)
3DS has a future, and there's no piracy so far.
The brand is being talked a lot, compared to Type 0. At least in the last period. Between the social title, BD2, BD event with fans.

But still, right now they're both in the same place as Kagari said: Japan :(
I hope they announce BD as soon as possible. Type 0 too, but that's a pretty difficult situation.

P.S. Congratulations, Aeana! :D

luca1980

Banned
With type 0 Se made a snooze. Fans awaited for a while and asked for a us release soon. It's Se that slept. Solution? The first was to be released it ASAP..nowadays it's psp remaster or 3ds port.

Bd ff is on 3ds: they have no excuses this time. Localize it or burn in hell square.

Howmuch they have fallen.

Once I thought they forgot some fans of old days (like me, fans of takahashi and Matsuno) now with type 0 Se shows me that they don't care even for their new ff style over substance fans who wait for type 0 or ffx remake lol

With type 0 Se made a snooze. Fans awaited for a while and asked for a us release soon. It's Se that slept. Solution? The first was to be released it ASAP..nowadays it's psp remaster or 3ds port.

Bd ff is on 3ds: they have no excuses this time. Localize it or burn in hell square.

Howmuch they have fallen.

Once I thought they forgot some fans of old days (like me, fans of takahashi and Matsuno) now with type 0 Se shows me that they don't care even for their new ff style over substance fans who wait for type 0 or ffx remake lol

The trolly fact is that they put Type-0 main theme in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

Famassu

THey didn't "make a snooze", their games on PSP in the last 2-3 years simply sold like shit and by the time it would've been time for Type-0's release outside Japan, it would've sold even worse. They WERE localizing it for Vita, if the rumors are true, but then Vita sold, like, 2 units everywhere and that plan doesn't seem too lucrative either.

They've already said they are looking into bringing it over. It's just not very high on their priority list given how their 3DS games have sold so far and how Bravely Defaults spiritual predecessor sold 2 years ago (perhaps 4 copies in Europe). They might do what they did with 4 Warriors of Light & it'll arrive a year late which is annoying, but it's better than nothing.

No, it's the fans who've shown they don't give a shit about Square Enix, pirating their awesome (and some not so awesome) PSP & DS games left & right. It's hard to justify bringing anything over when there's absolutely NO market for it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think out of the ones they didn't, I was still interested in Sigma Harmonics.

SaGa 2 and 3 for me, then again I think apart from Link1110 and RevenantKioku I'm one of the only other Americans interested in the game.

SaGa 2 and 3 for me, then again I think apart from Link1110 and RevenantKioku I'm one of the only other Americans interested in the game.
SaGa 2/3 were the only ones I'd have wanted. that SE USA skipped. DQMJ2P maybe as well, but we at least got vanilla J2 out of Nintendo. Thank god they rescued DQVI too.

There was a fan translation for SaGa 2 and SaGa 3 is still in the works evidently.

Both games run fine aside from a missing effect or two on the emulator I was using.

jackal27

Banned
There was a fan translation for SaGa 2 and SaGa 3 is still in the works evidently.

Both games run fine aside from a missing effect or two on the emulator I was using.

The fan translation for SaGa 2 has been finished for a while. I completed it before the 3DS came out. The game was ok. I would have been cool to have it in the US, but I still prefer the original.

The fan translation for SaGa 2 has been finished for a while. I completed it before the 3DS came out.
I know, I played it when it was released as well. Maybe my sentence confused you or something? I was basically saying that SaGa 2 had been translated and that a team was still working (wasn't sure since none of them had posted for months) on SaGa 3.

The game was ok. I would have been cool to have it in the US, but I still prefer the original.
I preferred the DS remake myself. Call me unimaginative but I will take nice 2d sprite work or 3D and color over gameboy graphics any day.

The only thing I didn't like about the remake was how hard the final boss was compared to the original. I had heard that it reverted to the original difficulty if you hadn't used any threads of destiny, don't know if that would have been worth missing on events and whatever else though.

Top Bottom