• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Lizzy
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:45 AM)
Lizzy's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

Whoever said Rey is the Rainmaker from Looper was spot on. That seems to be exactly what she is in this series heh

Elucidate.
Surfinn
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:48 AM)
Surfinn's Avatar
So I'm rewatching TFA for the first time in months

Yeah this movie is still fucking good.

Gunna see if I can piece something together in accordance with the newest trailer.
XAL
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:52 AM)
XAL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr Cola

See im torn on Daisy, I think her lack of acting experience showed up in certain places in TFA, that being said in no way do I think it was a bad performance, I think its clear she grew into the role and I am looking forward to the next film to see her have more range.

Driver I think put much more into Kylo than actually existed in the script and given his body of work is clearly and incredible actor, they discussed this on Rebel Force Radio with Sam Witwer when they were doing the commentary but the "mask acting" Driver does is phenominal, when talking to vader, when emoting, its really really really hard stuff to do and he nails it.

That is different than saying Kylo is an incredible acting performance, or an incredible character, so far to me he is interesting not iconic, but I do think Driver gives more to his character so far than the others.

Apparently in a few scenes he actually had his mask off but they edited it in with CGI.
TL21xx
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:52 AM)
TL21xx's Avatar

Originally Posted by N7 MRP Weasel

Thanks...

I'm about to get into the new canon... By y'alls opinions is it worth getting into now or is it still rocky and bare bones

I agree with Pizza's assessment for the most part, and am very hopeful that Thrawn will survive past Episode VI. We don't know his fate just yet. Speaking of Thrawn, make sure to read Zahn's book, it's easily the best written piece of the new canon. While I've enjoyed a good deal of the new stuff, and find that on average it is far better than a good chuck of post Hand of Thrawn EU content, the prose itself for a lot of the books has left me wanting quite a bit.

The books I've enjoyed reading the most were Tarkin and Thrawn. While I like Bloodlines, I made the mistake of reading it around the same time I started re-reading the X-Wing novels and found that I vastly preferred their style of presentation (still a solid read though). There's something about the word flow I prefer in those books, can't really put my finger on it. Speaking of which, I need to warn you that the Aftermath books are a slog to get through, which is disappointing considering that the actual content contains the most interesting parts of the new canon by virtue of taking place in the VI-VII gap. I don't have any problems throwing them under the bus, the format is a bit scattered and not anywhere near as smooth as the rest of the new canon books. But as always, YMMV.

It was hard to lose the EU, but it kinda needed to be done, and so far it's looking like the soft reboot was all worth it. All I need is for VIII to blow me away for me to concede that.

And if Mara Jade ever shows up, then I'll be firmly on canon is better from then on out, though it's looking like that dream is dead...
N7 MRP Weasel
Junior Member
(10-13-2017, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by TL21xx

I agree with Pizza's assessment for the most part, and am very hopeful that Thrawn will survive past Episode VI. We don't know his fate just yet. Speaking of Thrawn, make sure to read Zahn's book, it's easily the best written piece of the new canon. While I've enjoyed a good deal of the new stuff, and find that on average it is far better than a good chuck of post Hand of Thrawn EU content, the prose itself for a lot of the books has left me wanting quite a bit.

The books I've enjoyed reading the most were Tarkin and Thrawn. While I like Bloodlines, I made the mistake of reading it around the same time I started re-reading the X-Wing novels and found that I vastly preferred their style of presentation (still a solid read though). There's something about the word flow I prefer in those books, can't really put my finger on it. Speaking of which, I need to warn you that the Aftermath books are a slog to get through, which is disappointing considering that the actual content contains the most interesting parts of the new canon by virtue of taking place in the VI-VII gap. I don't have any problems throwing them under the bus, the format is a bit scattered and not anywhere near as smooth as the rest of the new canon books. But as always, YMMV.

It was hard to lose the EU, but it kinda needed to be done, and so far it's looking like the soft reboot was all worth it. All I need is for VIII to blow me away for me to concede that.

And if Mara Jade ever shows up, then I'll be firmly on canon is better from then on out, though it's looking like that dream is dead...

I would fucking flip if that happened, whose to say there isn't a reference or hint in the han solo film
sphagnum
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:11 AM)
sphagnum's Avatar

Originally Posted by N7 MRP Weasel

Ah yes thrawn... I'm glad he made the cut, beside Rebels is there any indication that he survives RotJ? I'd really like for him to show up in an Anthology film but also the main series granted chiss are suddenly able to live longer than the average human.

No indication yet, but he is getting a sequel novel.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-13-2017, 01:17 AM)
Einchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cross-Section

Who wants to bet that the 6:00pm "fan event" is really an excuse to charge people extra for a Han Solo teaser

This fan event shit is total bullshit, like, just because I don't want to spend double the price of a ticket then I'm not a "fan" enough and will watch the movie an hour later. It's even more bullshit if I end up missing out on a Han Solo preview.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 01:20 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar
I mean, I'm going to the event and I'm not sure I want to see a Han Solo preview tbh
Martinski43
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:24 AM)
Martinski43's Avatar

Originally Posted by Surfinn

So I'm rewatching TFA for the first time in months

Yeah this movie is still fucking good.

Gunna see if I can piece something together in accordance with the newest trailer.

Loved it when i watched it first in theatres, still really like it.

But ofc the most popular movies gets alot of backlash cus reasons and it's always exciting being contrarians.

Also enjoyed most of Rogue One. Like most people the Vader scene in the end gave me a boner and the battle in the end was really well made too.
SillyNonsense
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:29 AM)
SillyNonsense's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cross-Section

Who wants to bet that the 6:00pm "fan event" is really an excuse to charge people extra for a Han Solo teaser

I think it's more an excuse to give out $4 of hokey plastic/posters and get triple the money back. They'll want to promote Solo more widespread when they're ready to.

I didn't go for the fan event. I'd rather wait and see the movie a couple hours later on a true IMAX screen. The movie is what it's all about and I'm not about to downgrade my screen for some swag. For people without that option it might be worth the extra fun, but when my choice is between an average screen+swag or the real deal imax, the choice is obvious. I know what I'm here for.
Last edited by SillyNonsense; 10-13-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Stiler
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:36 AM)
Stiler's Avatar

Originally Posted by Martinski43

Loved it when i watched it first in theatres, still really like it.

But ofc the most popular movies gets alot of backlash cus reasons and it's always exciting being contrarians.

Also enjoyed most of Rogue One. Like most people the Vader scene in the end gave me a boner and the battle in the end was really well made too.

I disliked TFA after I saw it, not everyone that dislikes it is doing it because it's "cool" to do. I put it right up there with Jurassic World in terms of new movies that people seemed to go gaga over for nostalgic reasons when the movie itself was just extremely shallow and devoid of anything that really let it stand on its own, to me at least.

On the flip side I loved Rogue One and that Vader scene was amazing.

Just hope they learned from some of the criticism of TFA and are not afraid to make a movie that stands on its own rather then calling back to so much of the OT.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 01:37 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar

Originally Posted by SillyNonsense

I think it's more an excuse to give out $4 of hokey plastic/posters and get triple the money back. They'll want to promote Solo more widespread when they're ready to.

I didn't go for the fan event. I'd rather wait and see the movie a couple hours later on a true IMAX screen. The movie is what it's all about and I'm not about to downgrade my screen for some swag. For people without that option it might be worth the extra fun, but when my choice is between an average screen+swag or the real deal imax, the choice is obvious. I know what I'm here for.

Idk if you guys have it in the US but, UltraAVX+Dbox is actually a pretty nice experience. Saw Alien Covenant like that and had a great time when shit was hitting the fan, I imagine I'll feel similarly here.

Also price was worth it if I get a poster.
DSN2K
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:43 AM)
DSN2K's Avatar
Kylo Ren is no Sith Lord, in fact, I don't think he will even get to that level and Snoke knows it.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-13-2017, 01:44 AM)
Einchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by DSN2K

Kylo Ren is no Sith Lord, in fact, I don't think he will even get to that level and Snoke knows it.

Hasn't Pablo said Snoke and Kylo aren't Sith?
Draper
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:45 AM)
Draper's Avatar

Originally Posted by DSN2K

Kylo Ren is no Sith Lord, in fact, I don't think he will even get to that level and Snoke knows it.

Kylo is a lover, not a fighter
chrisPjelly
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:47 AM)
chrisPjelly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Draper

Kylo is a lover, not a fighter

AlexFlame116
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:48 AM)
AlexFlame116's Avatar

Originally Posted by Draper

Kylo is a lover, not a fighter

Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 01:49 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar

Originally Posted by chrisPjelly

This makes me uncomfortable
Cross-Section
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:52 AM)
Cross-Section's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlexFlame116

Joeytj
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:02 AM)
Joeytj's Avatar

Originally Posted by DiipuSurotu

Wasn't Lyra Erso force-sensitive?

Almost, but they scrapped that idea at the last minute, and she simply became a follower of the secret Church of the Force.
Surfinn
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:22 AM)
Surfinn's Avatar
The real question is

Will JW beat the end credits score of TFA

Cuz that's good. Real good
Meowster
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:35 AM)
Meowster's Avatar
All the discussion about this traiker encouraged me to rewatch the trailer for The Force Awakens and I forgot how powerful it is when you see the Falcon flying for the first time in decades as Han Solo and the Princess starts playing in the background. Could still make me sniffle a little bit.
yanipheonu
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:36 AM)
yanipheonu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einchy

This fan event shit is total bullshit, like, just because I don't want to spend double the price of a ticket then I'm not a "fan" enough and will watch the movie an hour later. It's even more bullshit if I end up missing out on a Han Solo preview.

Nah man, everyone knows the mark of the greatest Star Wars fan is how much money they spend.
Last edited by yanipheonu; 10-13-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Figboy79
Aftershock LA
(10-13-2017, 02:46 AM)
Figboy79's Avatar
Iíve watched TFA so many times Iíve lost count.

There are three Star Wars movies Iíve watched over and over again in my life: The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens. Iíve only seen Rogue One twice; once in the theater, and once when I got the Blu Ray.

I love the idea of having more Star Wars films to enjoy, so Iím all for the anthology series. At the end of the day, I just want entertaining Star Wars content. This new trilogy, for me, started off on the right foot, by giving me an entertaining Star Wars movie with characters that I actually like and want to see more of. Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren, and Poe are enough to anchor these movies for me. I loved seeing Han, Leia, Chewie, and R2, but what shocked me the most was that if they werenít in episodes 8 and 9, I wouldnít have been too upset about it.

I love how they integrated the old with the new, but if they had dropped the ball with Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren, Iíd have lost interest in this new trilogy for sure. Itís not even JJís mystery box that has me excitís for the future movies. I legit want to see what happens to these new characters. My only hope is the old characters get proper send offs (not meaning their deaths necessarily, but their tactful exit from future Star Wars movies).

Star Wars is as generational as the protagonists of their movies, so itís cool to see my nieces and nephews being hyped for a series Iíve loved since the 80ís (I wasnít born when ANH released, and I was 4 when RotJ released, so I didnít get to see the trilogy until a few years later, when I was six).

Part of being generational is establishing strong new faces that can excite new young fans, and still entertain the old ones like me.

I remember watching TFA with my wife, sister, and her twins, and when Rey pulls the lightsaber into her hand after Finn gets tkoíd, I heard her go ďYES!Ē and break into applause like the rest of the audience. She was so hyped to see a girl being a heroic badass.

She didnít hate the OT, and she thought they were good, but TFA made her a Star Wars fan, like their mom, and uncle, and itís just really awesome to have that commonality between us all.
Lizzy
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:51 AM)
Lizzy's Avatar
My list:

1. The Force Awakens
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
dagZ
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:54 AM)
dagZ's Avatar
https://open.spotify.com/album/6oJnwRad77TohXQ683Rlw6

awesome album for those who haven't listened to this before. an album made by known artists with star wars samples.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-13-2017, 03:29 AM)
Einchy's Avatar
We doing lists? LETS DO THIS

1. The Force Awakens
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Rogue One
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith

Then why down here some where

7. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

Episode III is a movie that wants to be shit but still ends up being good while the other two prequels succeed at being shit.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 03:39 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar
ESB>New Hope/TFA>ROTJ>ROTS>AOTC>TPM
Draper
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:40 AM)
Draper's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlexFlame116

Guys, I don't understand
Escape Goat
(10-13-2017, 03:41 AM)
Escape Goat's Avatar
The fate of all Star Wars threads is to devolve into a list thread.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 03:45 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Escape Goat

The fate of all Star Wars threads is to devolve into a list thread.

We must
FULFILL
OUR
DESTINY
chrisPjelly
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:46 AM)
chrisPjelly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Escape Goat

The fate of all Star Wars threads is to devolve into a list thread.

This is like 3rd time this thread has gone through a list phase ffs
Escape Goat
(10-13-2017, 03:47 AM)
Escape Goat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Killer Queen

We must
FULFILL
OUR
DESTINY

Ra\/en
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:49 AM)
Ra\/en's Avatar
1.) Empire strikes back
2.) Return of the Jedi
3.) Rogue One
4.) A New Hope
5.) The Force Awakens





6.) Revenge of the Sith



7.) The phantom Menace






8.) Attack of the clones


my list for now. To be honest, the prequel trilogy is similar to Scrubs season 9 - I prefer to pretend it does not exist.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-13-2017, 03:51 AM)
Einchy's Avatar
I'm just waiting for someone to say TPM or AOTC is above TFA so I can get mad. I've got caps lock and I ain't afraid to use it.
Draper
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:51 AM)
Draper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Escape Goat

The fate of all Star Wars threads is to devolve into a list thread.

Best fanfic (soon to be reality) lists? I agree. I'll start:

3.

2.

1.

Drewton
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:51 AM)
Drewton's Avatar
Poster above should be banned

Since we're ranking now:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) The Force Awakens
4) Rogue One
5) Return of the Jedi
6) The Phantom Menace
7) Revenge of the Sith
8) Attack of the Clones
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-13-2017, 03:52 AM)
Einchy's Avatar
Kylo has some mommy issues.
Escape Goat
(10-13-2017, 03:53 AM)
Escape Goat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Draper

Best fanfic (soon to be reality) lists? I agree. I'll start:

3.


2.


1.


Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(10-13-2017, 03:53 AM)
Ether_Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackDoomShadow

I noted that it "severely injures" the theory of Luke leaving Rey on Jakku, since there are only so many plausible reasons why Luke would choose to abandon a little girl on a desert planet before his spirit had been broken by Ben's betrayal.

Unless it was her mom who ran away with the child years ago and eventually abandoned her.

Church folks on Jakku, Luke hangs out with them, gets one pregnant, she doesn't tell him, he leaves the planet to go do his stuff, and for whatever reason she and her family dumps the child to Unkar Plutt in exchange for a ticket off the planet, maybe fearing the kid will grow up like Vader.

Luke would have never known he had a child, and her mother/family dumped her out of fear and ran away from the church. Heck maybe they were excommunicated, who knows.
Last edited by Ether_Snake; 10-13-2017 at 03:56 AM.
chrisPjelly
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:57 AM)
chrisPjelly's Avatar
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:58 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar
What the hell are you jokers up to in my thread
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 03:58 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drewton

Poster above should be banned

Something we can agree on
Draper
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:59 AM)
Draper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Killer Queen

Something we can agree on

Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-13-2017, 04:00 AM)
Killer Queen's Avatar
MODS COME QUICK
THERES HEATHENRY GOING ON IN HERE AGAIN
Drewton
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:02 AM)
Drewton's Avatar
I only know one truth. It's time for Reylo to end.
Not
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:03 AM)
Not's Avatar
You fool! The mods have no power here

:'(

Great. Greatest top of the page post ever.

Thread Tools