• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

theaffection
(10-07-2017, 06:16 PM)

Daphne Maxwell Reid (Vivian from S5-6) gets alot of flack over the years since she replaced Janet Hubert. It feels like they completely rewrote the role of Vivian once Daphne came on the show to adjust to Daphnes strengths as an actor.

Because of this, Vivian went from being a main character , to more of a supporting role in Season 5-6.

Both have some great moments. Two totally different takes on the character. Which do you prefer?
Order
(10-07-2017, 06:17 PM)
Anyone who says New Vivienne is factually wrong
TheGamingBox
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:18 PM)
original, new vivian shouldnt have existed, atleast not as the same person
Succinct Verbosity
Original had more fire and presence. New Viv was way too passive, and you could tell she was neutered due to Will Smith's ego.
Tagyhag
Janet Hubert as Vivian.

Daphne Reid as a person.
realwords
Original, and it's not even close.
Pakkidis
Old Vivian, too bad she had problems with Will Smith.
Kid Kamikaze10
(10-07-2017, 06:19 PM)
Anyone who says new Viv is either Will Smith or wrong.
Knoxcore
OG. She brought it when it came to the comedic and dramatic moments for that character.
RPGCrazied
The original one was much better.
Farsi
Original by far
Ordinaryundone
Old Vivian was an objectively better character.
SoulClap
(10-07-2017, 06:20 PM)
OG, no question.
Pai Pai Master
Banned
Original all the way.
RBH

Originally Posted by Order

Anyone who says New Vivienne is factually wrong

Android18a
(10-07-2017, 06:21 PM)
I didn't even know there was a new vivian. I guess I only saw the older episodes.
Marvel
could never
OG.

Come on.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
Janet was and still batshit. I see why she got the boot
VeeP
(10-07-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Pakkidis

Old Vivian, too bad she had problems with Will Smith.

She went off on a lot of people on set apparently. Alfonso/Calrton literally said that B----- is crazy. But yea, she was jealous that Will who had just entered the industry had his own show. I think that's where a lot of the anger came from.
Kabuki Waq
Old one had those dance moves
theaffection

Originally Posted by Marvel

OG.

Come on.

But New Vivian is hilarious af :(
entremet
(10-07-2017, 06:23 PM)
The old one actually had a personality.

Why did she leave? Anyone know?

edit: So she didn't get along with the cast?
_Aaron_
Original definitely.
Cipherr
After hearing about how horrible a person the old Vivian was to people on the set in general;

New Vivian. No one likes working with an asshole. Even a talented one, kick rocks sweety. The only major issue was them filing down the part. When the new one came in she was clearly downgraded to a side character, so we lost a major character in the show as viewers, that part sucked.
Bronx-Man
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:24 PM)
We only recognize one Aunt Viv
shadowkat
(10-07-2017, 06:24 PM)
Original Vivian by far. It's not even remotely close.
Mr. Smiley
(10-07-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by entremet

The old one actually had a personality.

Why did she leave? Anyone know?

edit: So she didn't get along with the cast?

She didn't get get along with Will Smith specifically.
kunonabi
Original easily.
Jombie
Original.. she was an actual character with a personality. Her replacement was a prototypical TV wife.
DukeBobby
Original.

New Vivian was pretty much a background character.
crimzonflame
(10-07-2017, 06:26 PM)
Felt the show was better with the Aunt Vivian 1
entremet

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley

She didn't get get along with Will Smith specifically.

What a shame.
Spenny
As an actor OG aunt Vivian.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(10-07-2017, 06:27 PM)
OG Viv had attitude. She popped off the screen. New Viv was like your typical sitcom mom.
zeemumu
(10-07-2017, 06:27 PM)
Come on, now
Ryuuga
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:28 PM)
Original, easily. I'm struggling to recall any amazing scenes involving nuViv
DontBeThatGuy
(10-07-2017, 06:29 PM)
The original Vivian is much, much better, regardless of the actresses's difficulties. Her replacement was devoid of character and personality.
Mr-Joker
Banned
Original Vivian was better, it's a shame that the actress didn't get on with the cast.

Originally Posted by Jombie

Original.. she was an actual character with a personality. Her replacement was a prototypical TV wife.

This pretty much, new Vivian was a bore and I think only had one episode that focused on her while rest of the times she was pretty much a background character.
G0523

Originally Posted by Tagyhag

Janet Hubert as Vivian.

Daphne Reid as a person.

Yep. All of this.
Basoes
(10-07-2017, 06:30 PM)
OP is secretly a Daphne fan, but thread went so one way
captainpat
(10-07-2017, 06:31 PM)
original obviously.

Originally Posted by Ryuuga

Original, easily. I'm struggling to recall any amazing scenes involving nuViv

The only scene I remember was when she told off Will's dad, and even then she was still too passive.
Effect
(10-07-2017, 06:32 PM)
I don't fault the new one. The old one is why we ended up with a new actress to being with. The character wasn't as good once the recasting to place but that's on the writers. However by then the overall stories were focused on Will, Carlton, and Phil anyway. As Will Smith got better and better as an actor I think the character would have always ended up a background character.
Jackpot
Reading up on it:

Originally Posted by Will Smith

"I can say straight up that Janet Hubert wanted the show to be 'The Aunt Viv of Bel Air Show' because I know she is going to dog me in the press," Smith told an Atlanta radio station.

"She has basically gone from a quarter of a million dollars a year to nothing. She's mad now but she's been mad all along. She said once, 'I've been in the business for 10 years and this snotty-nosed punk comes along and gets a show.'"

"No matter what, to her I'm just the Antichrist."

Originally Posted by Alfonso

"Basically, at the end of the day, the b*tch was crazy. She went nuts!"

"There were days when we were all on the set and she would literally go off on people and it got to a point by the time the second season came around where we we're like, 'This is unacceptable'.

"We felt like when we were doing The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, that we were a family...She, at that point, ruined that, and she made it very difficult for us to work, and unfortunately she was then fired. They brought in Daphne Maxwell-Reid, who we absolutely loved, and we moved on. Oh well."

Originally Posted by Janet Hubert

"Janet Hubert was never difficult on that set. Janet Hubert was so professional, it wasn't even funny," said the actress. "I think Will simply needed to win, and I think sometimes when you get caught up in a lie and those things never happened."

"I think he was young and he was inexperienced," she said of Smith at the time.

Yes she is talking about herself in the 3rd person, which doesn't exactly come off as level-headed.
NinjaCoachZ

Originally Posted by Android18a

I didn't even know there was a new vivian. I guess I only saw the older episodes.

Yeah, I knew they replaced her at some point but seeing them side by side made me realize I'd never actually seen a New Viv episode.
royalan
Lotus Member
(10-07-2017, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Jombie

Exactly.

They didn't just change the actress, they changed the character.

Original Aunt Viv had a personality, stated interests and even her own story arcs. She was an educated career woman who chose to stay home, but you saw glimpses of this in her character. It wasn't something that was just said in the dialogue, as shown in one of the most memorable scenes from the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RB7zRhENCw

No offense to the actress who played New Aunt Viv, but they gave her none of this. She became a background character. A typical TV mom whose only job was to go "tsk tsk tsk" in the background.

Word has it that this change in character had a LOT to do with the war backstage between the actress who played Original Viv and Will, which, WHEW LORD if you know about any of that shit...
Two Words
(10-07-2017, 06:34 PM)
Original Vivian: Strong dark-skinned, which is important,
black woman and a great role model for young black girls. A career woman who made a lot of herself. A loving mother and supportive wife. She is often a guiding hand for Will, her children and her husband.

Replacement Vivian: Much lighter skinned. House wife that does nothing but take care of Nicky. She is only there to do three things. Contribute to the B-plot of the episode, make off-hand comments to the main-plot, be mad at Phil.
Jarnet87
(10-07-2017, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Basoes

OP is secretly a Daphne fan, but thread went so one way

It was only ever going one way, it would be like if someone tried to argue for the imposter Harriette Winslow.
ThisGuy
(10-07-2017, 06:36 PM)
Og, only way to look at it.

I remember the switch, it hit me hard.
Despera
(10-07-2017, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

OG Viv had attitude. She popped off the screen. New Viv was like your typical sitcom mom.

Perfectly put.
Two Words
(10-07-2017, 06:38 PM)
Sounds like the original actress was unreasonable. Understandable that they replaced her. But did they ruin the character out of spite too?